AppleIntelE1000e.kext for 10.8/10.7/10.6/10.5

hnak

751 posts in this topic

tried latest driver, same issue or worse… back to 2.4.14

here i read Intel Ethernet Network Connection i217-V...

anything i could check in the BIOS to see if all is configured as should be ?

otherwise i think i need advice for a good ethernet card that works with mavericks  :(

otherwise i think i need advice for a good ethernet card that works with mavericks  :(

Mieze has made a soft offer to rewrite the driver starting around new year. If she does that there is a good chance she will fix all these emerging issues. In the meantime, if you have a free PCI(e) slot there are plenty of very cheap options for working gigabit add in cards. just do a little research here and in google. Rosewill makes some that are cheap. 

Here is a nice dual nic card on the cheap:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166096

And i use this with my macbook air. it kicks ass and won't use up a pci slot:

http://www.meritline.com/gwc-he3130-usb-3-0-3-port-hub---p-116801.aspx?hq_e=el&hq_m=2790081&hq_l=12&hq_v=ce07e82a65

or if you just need a basic single port card, like i said google or search the forums because there are very many options. and pretty much anything that is reported to work in 10.7 or 10.8 will also work in 10.9 even if it hasn't been explicitly reported.

g\

genzai,

really thanks for your help !

i appreciate a lot, if Mieze will do i will be glad to make a donation to repay her for the disturb  :sorcerer:

dont want to be off topic but i need to explain a little bit more specific my problem...

aside the internet navigation, due to the lagging/intermittent data flow i have the MAIN problem with 2 music ethernet controllers.

my euphonix mc control and mc mix are unusable cause the data is not constantly and precisely delivered in/out of them.

their EUCON protocol is used by Avid prefessional product and is mostly reliable. i updated driver but not solved the problem.

i just did a try with my mac book pro and they works perfectly, so the culprit is the ethernet for sure  B)

it's a shame cause today i did a bench test with Logic Pro X and my hack pro scored very well and stable, but without controllers much productivity is cutted down  :(

let's hope Mieze or someone else will fix this issue, i reading around it's a PITA for many of us!

great thanks to all guys here helping me !

PS:

i checked your links tonight but neither products are available in EU (i'm from Italy)

any other network card that works OOB on mavericks ?

i need just linux terminal or a specific tool ?

any other network card ?

those from wiki list are mostly discontinued or no recently tested on newer osx systems… all says 10.6 or 10.7

i'm tempted to try renistall ALL onto another HD and check if network works correctly at second try.

i'm really upset cause the rest seems to run smooth… i tested under logic pro X with maxed out cpu (all 8 threads under full load) and looked very stable system, what a shame :(

The full list of commands are in the first post I linked to. You just run the terminal, install ethtool and run those commands. Apple's Dual Gigabit Ethernet card uses the same 82574L chipset.

Granted that chipset has had a few problems of it's own as I discovered when I looked it up on Google.

Maybe someone can suggest another card that works well OOB.

ok riley, thanks again for you help...

i keep searching  …  ;)

actually found this: http://plugable.com/shop/eu

Mac OS X 10.9 (and 10.8.5) includes support for both the AX88772 chipset and the AX88178 chipsets in our USB 2.0 USB Ethernet adapters, and UD-160-A docking station. For these chips, we recommend first uninstalling any ASIX drivers and repairing disk permissions before upgrade to 10.9 (relying on your built-in net connection), and just plugging in to use the Apple drivers after upgrade.

PS:

just bought this one… will update when i get it

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00484IEJS/ref=ox_ya_os_product

but some faith remains i can make working onboard NIC  :P

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I got a Fujitsu Q900 (mac mini size) with Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network.

I installed AppleIntelE1000e.kext but I still can't access the network settings (everything in grey).

I installed several network kexts already - does this have any negative effects?

Do I have to delete the old network kexts?

thanks for your help!

• 2 weeks later...

I had some severe stability issues with 2.5.4 as well on a 82579V controller. I posted a thread here about it before reading through this one. The thread is here.

Anyways I can confirm that all my issues went away after downgrading to 2.4.14

2.4.14 download: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/295254-strange-intel-82579v-detected-hardware-unit-hang-when-under-heavy-load-with-appleintel1000e/?p=1987137

Hint: when copying files from Windows network shares you get "copy error code -... The Finder can’t complete the operation because some data in ... can’t be read or written" --> Mavericks SMB2toSMB1 downgrade fix

• Like 1

2.4.14 download: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/295254-strange-intel-82579v-detected-hardware-unit-hang-when-under-heavy-load-with-appleintel1000e/?p=1987137

for stable SMB, in Network/ Advanced/ Configure: manually, I additionally had to set the MTU to Custom: 1492 ..

Downgrading to 2.4.14 fixed my issues. I did not however change the MTU, and so far I have not had any issues or link drops.

Thank you.

Downgrading to 2.4.14 fixed my issues. I did not however change the MTU, and so far I have not had any issues or link drops.

Thank you.

The MTU change did not deliver reliable stability. I found out the real fix for me and edited my posting.

Guys don't scare me ;)

It does work with 10.9.1 right... right? :ninja:

I worked...

I've got 2 ethernet ports working now... how do I decide which?  :thumbsup_anim:

buy a 3rd so u don't have to decide between 1 & 2 (oopth)

• Like 1

Dear threadstarter,

I, for one, would buy you a beer every time we meet if you publish some guidelines on porting Linux networking drivers to OSX. The information is rather scarce on the topic of writing NIC drivers at all (there is a nice thread on ArsTechnica, but it applies mostly to version as ancient as 10.2), and documenting roadbumps and mappings from Linux infrastructure to Darwin would be an immense help to those who would like to immerse into writing their own drivers.

There is documentation and reading the source, of course, but it means bumping into the same roadblocks everyone else did.

(My personal wish is to port somewhere along the line the cfg80211 stack and its drivers; they don't need to be Wi-fi proper, but I'd like them to work at all)

Thanks a lot guys for all the good info.

I had problems like modt of you when transferring large amounts of data with my intel Gigabit NIC.

I've downgraded the kext from 2.5.4 to 2.4.14 that i found in this post and changed the mtu settings from automatic to 1500 fixed (don't know if that played a part, but i don't mind the setting anyway)

I've finally managed to copy the 140Gb of time machine backup!

Before that it kept crashing after a few minutes and between 10 to 30Gb.

Thanks a lot guys!

It seems WOL isn't working on a GA-Z87MX-D3H and OSX 10.9.1.

On sleep, the lights on the adapter go and stay out. A magic packet does not wake it up. Testing with another adapter (USB2ETH) worked ok.

I've not yet tested with an other OS myself but from what I understood, WOL works fine in Windows on this board with build-in LAN.

That leads to the conclusion that it might be a driver issue..

I did some debugging in AppleIntelE1000e.kext and at least found that AppleIntelE1000e::__e1000_shutdown does not get called.

This seems to be critical for activating the APM/WOL state.

Edit: I got it working with a small code change and setting link-speed from 'Auto' to '100baseTX'... 
Doing some more testing over the weekend hoping to also get it to work with 1000baseTX

Update: after disabling Intel Rapid Start Technology in the bios, WOL works with 'Auto' and GbE speed.

Copy the this code from AppleIntelE1000e::stop to the end of method AppleIntelE1000e::disable, before pciDevice->close(this):
e1000_power_down_phy(adapter);
bool wake;
__e1000_shutdown( &wake, false);

Since this was more a trial-and-error fix, I hope someone more knowledgeable with the actual driver code could check if this makes sense or not  :)

• Like 2