Kernel Panic: Should have 2 threads but only found 3...

James Cole

7 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am trying to install Snow Leopard using the USB method, but I run into the following problem:

I cannot get SL to boot the first time, shortly after Darwin loads I get a kernel panic message:

'Should have 2 threads but only found 3 for Die...'

http://it.tinypic.com/r/25gzdwl/6

Notes:

- I have tried booting with -cpus=1, arch=i386 and -x but with no luck.

- BIOS Settings: AHCI set, ACPI: S3(STR)

Strange, but when i enter the -cpus=1 setting I get exactly the same error message (2 threads but only found 3) as if nothing happened. But if I disable the 2nd core through BIOS, the message changes, and says: 'should have 1 thread but only found 2'! Link:

http://it.tinypic.com/r/oqkiuh/6

My Desktop PC setup:

-Intel Pentium Dual Core E5300@2.6

- Foxconn MB P43A01 with P45/P43 RevA3 chipset

- 2GB RAM DDR2 400MHz

- ATI Radeon HD 4770

Thank you for your help! I really appreciate it!

Alex

• 1 month later...

"The problem is in the DSDT.aml file. Try renaming it using Terminal from the USB boot, so that it doesn't load, and try again."

Could you explain how to do that? Thanks!

EDIT: Hmm I deleted the dsdt.aml file from the boot usb in \Extra folder and am now able to get passed the kernel panic.

Now when I try to select the disk where I want to install my SL and try to erase it to Extended Journaled I get the following error :

Volume erase failed. Volume erased with the error : Could not modify partition map.

I got 4 partition on the same drive.

Partition 1 : Windows 7

Partition 2 : Apps/Game for windows

Partition 3 : For snow leopard (still NTFS)

Partition 4 : Mac OSX 10.5.7 installed using iATKOSv7 method.

USB with the snow leapard image

Plz help...

• 3 weeks later...
"The problem is in the DSDT.aml file. Try renaming it using Terminal from the USB boot, so that it doesn't load, and try again."

Could you explain how to do that? Thanks!

EDIT: Hmm I deleted the dsdt.aml file from the boot usb in \Extra folder and am now able to get passed the kernel panic.

Now when I try to select the disk where I want to install my SL and try to erase it to Extended Journaled I get the following error :

Volume erase failed. Volume erased with the error : Could not modify partition map.

I got 4 partition on the same drive.

Partition 1 : Windows 7

Partition 2 : Apps/Game for windows

Partition 3 : For snow leopard (still NTFS)

Partition 4 : Mac OSX 10.5.7 installed using iATKOSv7 method.

USB with the snow leapard image

Plz help...

preface: first-time post newbie. so far i've only managed to install sl on win 7 as a vm.

That having been said, I just thought I'd point out that in the tutorials I've read, the target volume is usually already formatted before you start the installation disc/flash drive image.

I haven't had permissions errors in my various attempts (again, of which only the vmware method was successful), but I've read that to avoid this, you run these commands in terminal.

sudo –s
chown 0:0 /Volumes/Snow

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

holla

I guess you have a MBR Partition Table that will not work with unpatched Retail DVD, use a GUID Partition Table or patch your SL DVD to work with MBR Tables. Say bye bye to win7 :D

g00d luck