Smooth out Parallels

34 posts in this topic

Love Parallels but don't love the way it constantly reminds you to upgrade your RAM? Fear not. Check out this app for making your Parallels experience as smooth as butter.

As with most things in life, here cash cache is king...

And in fact, there is a problem with Parallels Desktop 1.0. It uses Mac OS X's default caching strategies for huge files such as the operating system images (hard disk files) and SAV files (session saves). Over time, almost all of your RAM will fill up with data from these files, leaving little room for your other applications.

I contacted the Parallels team last week to let them know about the problem, but haven't heard back from them at all. Perhaps they're all on vacation. Frustrated and needing a short-term fix to preserve my own sanity, I wrote PD Tweaker.

[Read more of the backstory at macosxhints]

Let us know how you fare.

I might be fortunate, I've never had any problems with memory when I'm running XP Pro in Parallels. I leave it running on another virtual desktop and hardly ever reboot. I don't run lots of things in XP as its just for a few applications and I only have 1gb in my Macbook.

Be interesting to see what Parallels say about the 'issues'.

Absolutely incredible. I found I had these symptoms yesterday (parallels had been open and running for 2 days and the host had slowed to treacle-speed) and today there is a fix - Drew is a genius.

3 hours running so far and its not showing any signs of slowing the host down.

@ Elrithranduil -

I downloaded it and I also downloaded that Application Enhancer but I cant get the PD Tweaker to open/

how do I do this?

Install Application Enhancer

Open System Preferences

Select Application Enhancer

Press the "+" Key on the bottom of the window and navigate to where you saved PD enhancer.

Thanks I figured it out... and had a quick look in Parallels I have the feeling (can be mistaken) that my XP experience has become a lot smoother :hysterical: Thanks for the tip

How is Windows XP running under parallels on your hackint0sh?

Does it slow down your system?

When I run Windows XP under Parallels, its slows down my hackint0sh as hell!

Anyone facing this issue on hackint0sh?

I run Win2K as thats all I need. It works perfectly well for the one app I need to run. I stuck win2k on a diet using this too....http://www.litepc.com - that helps as you can throw away a load of services that don't need to run.

Bear in mind that on our CPU's, we don't have the VT extensions, so parallels has to work a lot harder to run windows. Change the CPU to a D 920 or better and it'll run sooo much faster, they have the VT extensions that parallels can take advantage of.

Nah ofcourse it makes my hackintosh a bit slower for example I want to see the dashboard the widgets take quite some time to load. It is still however really workable just turn of all the fancy XP things. Put the theme on Windows Classic. Iam not sure but maybe decreasing the resolution to 800x600 also helps. Also you could use a tool like pclite as Sandwer said. I also used a program called WinXP manager it optimizes the system by cleaning registry, processes, startup processes. The best feature is that you can easily turn off system services like Indexing and things that slow down boot and shut down time. The best thing is ofcourse upgrading to a dual core cpu... Also increasing RAM would be perfect and sufficient Iam wondering how it would run with 2gb of Ram

Nah ofcourse it makes my hackintosh a bit slower for example I want to see the dashboard the widgets take quite some time to load. It is still however really workable just turn of all the fancy XP things. Put the theme on Windows Classic. Iam not sure but maybe decreasing the resolution to 800x600 also helps. Also you could use a tool like pclite as Sandwer said. I also used a program called WinXP manager it optimizes the system by cleaning registry, processes, startup processes. The best feature is that you can easily turn off system services like Indexing and things that slow down boot and shut down time. The best thing is ofcourse upgrading to a dual core cpu... Also increasing RAM would be perfect and sufficient Iam wondering how it would run with 2gb of Ram

I have a dual core (D 805) and 1 GB of RAM. When I run Parallels, I can't even do anything else in hackintosh.

Well it seems it does take a lot of resources. Anyway, I will try pclite, does it increase performance inside Parallels or global performance with running parallels and other stuff in hackint0sh?

the performance depends alot on how much RAM you allocate to Parallels. In the beginning, I allocated around 600mb of RAM out of my 1GB to Parallels and everything slows to a crawl. When I dropped it down to 350mb, both Parallels and OS X become perfectly usable. I definitely wouldn't allocate too much RAM to Parallels. Just use as much as you need to have decent performance for what you need to do in Windows.

Damn right!

I allocated 360 MB of RAM to Parallels and now its all good! thanks infnite.

Now I need to get network workin'

http://www.dslreports.com/drtcp download this programm in parallels with parallels shared folders for example (hope you found it oout how it worked with VM tools) and then open it and set the MTU on 1400

http://www.dslreports.com/drtcp download this programm in parallels with parallels shared folders for example (hope you found it oout how it worked with VM tools) and then open it and set the MTU on 1400

Thanks for the PM, i really appreciate that.

I just installed the VM tools, created the shared folders, transfered the MTU changer prog'.

Set MTU to 1400, but still no internet...

The parallels network adapter is not assigned a good IP.

I get the 169.254.168.8 IP which means DHCP does not work.

I tried to repair it without success. Might be because I'm on a local LAN, and NAT is not implemented in parallels.

Maybe I need to specify the IP stuff on my own without DHCP...

If you got an idea, let me know :lol:

Thanks for the PM, i really appreciate that.

I just installed the VM tools, created the shared folders, transfered the MTU changer prog'.

Set MTU to 1400, but still no internet...

The parallels network adapter is not assigned a good IP.

I get the 169.254.168.8 IP which means DHCP does not work.

I tried to repair it without success. Might be because I'm on a local LAN, and NAT is not implemented in parallels.

Maybe I need to specify the IP stuff on my own without DHCP...

If you got an idea, let me know :angel:

dont know if you have done that but have you rebooted windows I forgot to mention that... btw Iam also on a Lan network in my home with a router and it works so.. I will look at my Ip adress in parallels see if it differs

edit: it is the same IP adress so that must be your problem. Dont know how to repair it though maybe something in command CMD ipconfig renew things etc.. if you really cant figure it out try reinstalling windows

O.K. I got a working internet connection in my guest OS in Parallels (Windows XP).

:D:D:hysterical:

My main OS is OSX86 (hackint0sh) and I'm running Win XP under parallels (assigned 360 MB RAM).

My PC is connected to a router and has a local IP assigned (192.168.0....).

I had to choose 'Host-Only Network' under VM network options.

Then share the internet connection with the VM under os x.

How to turn on Internet Sharing:

1. Open “System Preferences” and click “Sharing” in “Internet & Network” section

2. Select “Ethernet Adaptor (en2)” from “To computers using” list. Note that System Preferences shows Parallels Host-Guest Adapter as “Ethernet Adaptor (en2)” in this case.

3. Select the adapter you want sharing from in “Share your connection from” dropdown

4. Click “Start” button and confirm staring the service

Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a question...

I'm on a Hackintosh, with an Intel 2200 series wireless card. The card, as many of you may know, is not supported or hacked yet in OS X. So I have no wireless under my OS X, just ethernet internet. My plan was to install XP under Parallels to get wireless through XP for when I needed it... but I can't get XP under Parallels to pick up my wireless card. My assumption is that Parallels will only support hardware that has been detected in the already existing OS X installation, is that true? Or can I load Parallels, get into Windows XP, and somehow install my Intel 2200 wireless card? I tried installing the drivers but it did nothing as the card was not detected, the add new hardware wizard failed as well. Thanks for any help you can give!

No i dont think it'll work. In XP the hard ware is simulated so its always sees a Realtek NIC. It piggy-backs off of what every is your default driver in OSX. You know what i did on my HP laptop, just switched to a broadcom Wireless card. Had to do a little work in Terminal but it worked.

Oh and i forget to mention i am running Parallels on my HP X86 laptop and bought parallels because it worked so well. 1Gig in it and 512mb dedicated to XP. Runs good as hell. Worth every penny especially after installing pd tweakr

• 1 month later...

Sup all i have a quick question, everything is fine so far, i was wondering if any of you have problems with the sharing part, i followed the guide that came with parallels but it is not working, when im in parallels i go to my network places, Entire network all i see is Microsoft windows network, nothing about the parallels Shared folder.. if somone could help it would be apprecialted :(

macjason

Edit the options for the particular VM, open the part for Shared folders, then click the tiny + sign lower left just to the right of center (sounds weird). It took me a while to figure out that aspect of Parallels. Once I did that, then I was able to pick a folder (I chose Documents) and it shared just fine with no issues, but you've got to choose one to share obviously.

Hope this helps...

bb