ep45-ud3p snow leopard with gtx 295

54 posts in this topic

How far does the verbose boot get to before you see the "still waiting for root device"?

Also, try booting with the flags "-v rd=disk0 arch=x86".

I just tried booting with -v rd disk0 arch x86 . still unable to boot.

the last line before the still waiting for root device that appears is *appleintelcpupowermanagement+ initialization complete

I just tried booting with -v rd disk0 arch x86 . still unable to boot.

the last line before the still waiting for root device that appears is *appleintelcpupowermanagement+ initialization complete

What kexts are in your \Extras\Extensions folder of the thumb drive, do you know?

Oh, and I made a silly mistake, it should be rd=disk0s2.

there isn:t even an extensions folder in my thumb drive

Okay, that may be the problem. Go to this thread:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=183549

and download the pack in post #4.

After unzipping it, you want to go to the kexts folder and copy the following kexts to /Extras/Extensions on your thumb drive (create a folder and call it Extensions):

fakesmc.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

JMicronATA.kext

Then try and boot from the thumb drive again.

You can probably copy AHCIPortInjector and ATAPortInjector and LegacyHDA as well but I don't think you need them.

Any luck?

nothing worked. no variation again. we are frustratingly close. i am unsure of what to try next. i am currently reinstalling sl so we can start fresh again.

nothing worked. no variation again. we are frustratingly close. i am unsure of what to try next. i am currently reinstalling sl so we can start fresh again.

i was thinking of perhaps trying this tutorial for the gtx 295. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php...020#post8199020 starting at post 236. it uses a different approach altogether for installing the 295. what do you think?

i was thinking of perhaps trying this tutorial for the gtx 295. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php...020#post8199020 starting at post 236. it uses a different approach altogether for installing the 295. what do you think?

That's worth a shot. I did something like that for my GTX 285s but looks like it might work for GTX 295 too.

Also, what do you do after you've booted into SL? Do you install Chameleon RC4 and run Kext Utility in addition to doing the graphics patch?

Well I follow the tutorial here. http://lifehacker.com/5360150/install-snow...acking-required which uses a utility that installs the bootloader on a thumb drive. After you have installed sl using the thumbdrive, you can continue to boot sl using the thumb drive bootloader, or you can use the original utility that you patched the thumb drive with in the first place, and patch the sl hard disk itself. This puts the bootloader onto the drive directly. I just got home from a quick errand and am going to try that new gtx 295 tutorial now.

Well I follow the tutorial here. http://lifehacker.com/5360150/install-snow...acking-required which uses a utility that installs the bootloader on a thumb drive. After you have installed sl using the thumbdrive, you can continue to boot sl using the thumb drive bootloader, or you can use the original utility that you patched the thumb drive with in the first place, and patch the sl hard disk itself. This puts the bootloader onto the drive directly. I just got home from a quick errand and am going to try that new gtx 295 tutorial now.

Well I have already hit a snag. I am trying to install the nvidia driver according to that new tutorial I linked you to, and it says that there is no need to update nvidia drivers, that the drivers are already up to date on this system. Obviously they arent, but none the less, the sl install obviously has some nvidia drivers/kexts that it is using. I can:t find them though to delete them. Where would these hidden drivers/kexts be?

Well I have already hit a snag. I am trying to install the nvidia driver according to that new tutorial I linked you to, and it says that there is no need to update nvidia drivers, that the drivers are already up to date on this system. Obviously they arent, but none the less, the sl install obviously has some nvidia drivers/kexts that it is using. I can:t find them though to delete them. Where would these hidden drivers/kexts be?

I take it you've installed netkas' enabler? Then it's fine - I think the latest version of his enabler already has the official nvidia drivers included. The next time is to edit the NVDANV50Hal.kext and put your GTX 295's id as in the thread. Then run Kext Utility.

Install Chameleon RC 4 and make sure that /Extras/Extensions has the necessary kexts. You could also run DSDTPatcher to make sure your DSDT.aml is good. After all that, run Kext Utility again.

Then...reboot!

I take it you've installed netkas' enabler? Then it's fine - I think the latest version of his enabler already has the official nvidia drivers included. The next time is to edit the NVDANV50Hal.kext and put your GTX 295's id as in the thread. Then run Kext Utility.

Install Chameleon RC 4 and make sure that /Extras/Extensions has the necessary kexts. You could also run DSDTPatcher to make sure your DSDT.aml is good. After all that, run Kext Utility again.

Then...reboot!

Well I did everything you recommended. The chameleon rc4, dsdt patcher, kext utility. and now I can:t boot into sl but this time it is a different error. There is no sign of the still waiting for root device. It just stops after the ethernet mac addresses. Ive tried booting all methods including the thumb drive. I think perhaps I tried too many things at a time. I:m going to reinstall sl again and just try the graphics enabler and edit the nvdanv50.kext and see what happens.

Well I did everything you recommended. The chameleon rc4, dsdt patcher, kext utility. and now I can:t boot into sl but this time it is a different error. There is no sign of the still waiting for root device. It just stops after the ethernet mac addresses. Ive tried booting all methods including the thumb drive. I think perhaps I tried too many things at a time. I:m going to reinstall sl again and just try the graphics enabler and edit the nvdanv50.kext and see what happens.

At least we got past the root device thing! You could disable ethernet in BIOS to see if that allows you to boot to isolate the problem. Or, like you said, you could do one thing at a time. :)

Well, that was a failure. I tried that second tutorial by itself and it wouldnt hinder my booting ability, but it also didnt seem to actually install the driver. I then tried the raph4 method the best I could figure and that rendered my install useless. I wonder if it has something to do with the gtx295fix .kext that I install. I am completely unsure what to do next....

well tristan, we need a round of celebration beers. I have finally succeeded!!! I redid this tutorial http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php...020#post8199020

You were right, the enabler has the driver installed already.

When I followed this tutorial the first time, I said it didn't seem to work and that I did not have the driver installed still. This time I tried it again, and thought I would try changing my boot.plist and remove the graphicsenabler=no to just graphicsenabler.

I rebooted, expected failure, and was truly surprised when it booted and had the driver installed and working. I just watched an apple trailer in full 1080p. I have both monitors working!!

The only problem I have left is getting the system information for the graphics cards to be correct as they are grossly inaccurate.

of course i had to go and give myself a heart-attack after several hours of installing my software on my newly successful install. I randomly decided to update to 10.6.2 because I knew it had worked before during my attempts to get the gtx 295 working, so I wasn't worried about updating. Imagine my face when I rebooted and I had a kp. I was able to boot back in using the thumb drive, went through the gtx 295 tutorial again, rebooted, and I'M FINE!! haha

of course i had to go and give myself a heart-attack after several hours of installing my software on my newly successful install. I randomly decided to update to 10.6.2 because I knew it had worked before during my attempts to get the gtx 295 working, so I wasn't worried about updating. Imagine my face when I rebooted and I had a kp. I was able to boot back in using the thumb drive, went through the gtx 295 tutorial again, rebooted, and I'M FINE!! haha

Congrats, mrfrankmrfrank!! Perseverance paid off, as it is with most of these installations! :(

Good thinking on the GraphicsEnabler; you have to set it to Yes after successfully installing the GTX 295.

The information for the graphics card will take you down the road you took before - namely using gfxutil and EFI strings again, hehe.

How about a screenshot of the working GTX 295?

How about a screenshot of the working GTX 295?

Sure! No problem! Any particular software you wish me to demonstrate its "workingness" via screenshot?

In fact, I didn't know if you knew of any software that would let me know that both cores are in fact working successfully on the gtx 295 in mac. The way I consider the card working is because both screens work via dvi, and full 1080p playback is smooth as ice. Is there any way to further test the cards. I used xbench and got a decent score, but it didn't really tell me how many cores my gpu had and what not.

Sure! No problem! Any particular software you wish me to demonstrate its "workingness" via screenshot?

In fact, I didn't know if you knew of any software that would let me know that both cores are in fact working successfully on the gtx 295 in mac. The way I consider the card working is because both screens work via dvi, and full 1080p playback is smooth as ice. Is there any way to further test the cards. I used xbench and got a decent score, but it didn't really tell me how many cores my gpu had and what not.

Try this benchmarking program:

http://www.realtech-vr.com/glview/download.html

and compare your results with others in the database.

Here's my screenshot on another thread:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1374194