ep45-ud3p snow leopard with gtx 295

54 posts in this topic

I have been in the osx86 game for awhile. I am not super advanced however. This is my second hackintosh for myself. It is a newly built machine with a ep45-ud3p motherboard, and a gtx 295 co-op edition graphics card. I purchased the ep45-ud3p motherboard specifically after reading this tutorial.

http://lifehacker.com/5360150/install-snow...acking-required

The installer in that tutorial (its magic) is made specifically for that motherboard. I followed the tutorial exactly, and upon booting to the thumb drive the first time, I would eventually end up at a kp during the circle loader. I tried -v and googled the error it was landing on a few times, but I was left thinking the error was irrelevant to my problem. I then decided to try and use the thumb drive, but with my nvidia geforce 7900 graphics card instead. (this was from my other hackintosh) This time I was able to successfully get to the Snow Leopard installation screen. I successfully installed snow leopard and booted into it just fine. Everything works as expected, sound, network, everything!

So then I removed the nvidia 7900 and put in my gtx 295. I was hoping I could at least boot and then try to install whatever kexts or mods needed to get it to work. Once again, with the gtx 295 in place, I get a kp.

I have tried booting using the -x flag, and still a kp.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys. If you need any clarification on my components or situation, please just ask.

I have been in the osx86 game for awhile. I am not super advanced however. This is my second hackintosh for myself. It is a newly built machine with a ep45-ud3p motherboard, and a gtx 295 co-op edition graphics card. I purchased the ep45-ud3p motherboard specifically after reading this tutorial.

http://lifehacker.com/5360150/install-snow...acking-required

The installer in that tutorial (its magic) is made specifically for that motherboard. I followed the tutorial exactly, and upon booting to the thumb drive the first time, I would eventually end up at a kp during the circle loader. I tried -v and googled the error it was landing on a few times, but I was left thinking the error was irrelevant to my problem. I then decided to try and use the thumb drive, but with my nvidia geforce 7900 graphics card instead. (this was from my other hackintosh) This time I was able to successfully get to the Snow Leopard installation screen. I successfully installed snow leopard and booted into it just fine. Everything works as expected, sound, network, everything!

So then I removed the nvidia 7900 and put in my gtx 295. I was hoping I could at least boot and then try to install whatever kexts or mods needed to get it to work. Once again, with the gtx 295 in place, I get a kp.

I have tried booting using the -x flag, and still a kp.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys. If you need any clarification on my components or situation, please just ask.

I'm not sure if you have to put the card in the second PCI-e slot and set BIOS to boot from PEG2 (if available). Given that it runs at x8 in the second slot, you probably don't want to do that...but it's worth a shot to see if you can boot into SL to get to work.

You might have to do some EFI string-editing. Check this thread:

http://aquamac.proboards.com/index.cgi?boa...&thread=959

Found this better link:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1338125

I just managed to get my dual GTX 285s to work, and that took quite a while. I had to generate the necessary EFI strings and put them into my boot.plist, then edit my DSDT.aml so I don't have to do that PEG2 thing.

I'm not sure if you have to put the card in the second PCI-e slot and set BIOS to boot from PEG2 (if available). Given that it runs at x8 in the second slot, you probably don't want to do that...but it's worth a shot to see if you can boot into SL to get to work.

You might have to do some EFI string-editing. Check this thread:

http://aquamac.proboards.com/index.cgi?boa...&thread=959

Found this better link:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1338125

I just managed to get my dual GTX 285s to work, and that took quite a while. I had to generate the necessary EFI strings and put them into my boot.plist, then edit my DSDT.aml so I don't have to do that PEG2 thing.

Thanks for the quick reply. I was actually wondering if the pcie slot mattered. I will take a look at the links you have provided in a sec, but the on thing I am definitely unsure about is how to edit efi strings. I'm not even sure if I know what that means.

well, I tried putting my gtx 295 down to the second pci e slot. I was still unable to boot the sl install, the sl install in safe mode, or the sl installer.

Did you try putting the 7900 back in and booting into SL? You can then follow the instructions on that thread to which I pointed you.

Also, to find the address for the PCI slots, you download a program called gfxutil and run it in terminal. Do it with the 7900 in the first PCI-e slot. Oh, is your card a dual or single pcb?

Did you try putting the 7900 back in and booting into SL? You can then follow the instructions on that thread to which I pointed you.

Also, to find the address for the PCI slots, you download a program called gfxutil and run it in terminal. Do it with the 7900 in the first PCI-e slot. Oh, is your card a dual or single pcb?

my gtx 295 is a single pcb

my gtx 295 is a single pcb

i am able to get into sl using my 7900, it boots fine. i'll have to give your second link you provided a try. i'm looking over the tutorial now, i'll post here if i have any questions, because i'm sure i might. thanks!

i'm going to be trying the tutorial tomorrow. i was just curious in the meantime. i was under the impression that failure to get the correct kexts and or strings of a graphics card would simply result in the inability to get correct resolutions on the install. would failure to get these things correct result in a kp?

i'm going to be trying the tutorial tomorrow. i was just curious in the meantime. i was under the impression that failure to get the correct kexts and or strings of a graphics card would simply result in the inability to get correct resolutions on the install. would failure to get these things correct result in a kp?

I was under that impression as well but it seems that GT200 series cards can result in a kp, and you can usually tell it's the graphics card from the kexts that caused the panic. I spent a couple of days trying to work out my setup so the experience is still fresh.

Reading that thread more closely, it seems that you have to edit your boot.plist in your usb drive to "GraphicsEnabler"=No, and then try to boot with the GTX 295, that might allow you to boot into SL to do the necessary edits, albeit in a bad (VESA) resolution.

I was under that impression as well but it seems that GT200 series cards can result in a kp, and you can usually tell it's the graphics card from the kexts that caused the panic. I spent a couple of days trying to work out my setup so the experience is still fresh.

Reading that thread more closely, it seems that you have to edit your boot.plist in your usb drive to "GraphicsEnabler"=No, and then try to boot with the GTX 295, that might allow you to boot into SL to do the necessary edits, albeit in a bad (VESA) resolution.

I think editing the boot.plist on the usb drive will be my first attempt to get my new machine to boot with the gtx 295. It would be great for me to be able to get this machine to boot with the gtx 295, because I have already since returned my geforce 7900 to my original hackintosh and it is a bit of a pain to return it to this new machine since my gtx 295 is liquid cooled and there is little room to keep switching cards. In fact, since I refuse to drain my loop and completely remove my gtx 295 when I boot with the 7900, I simply unplug it from the pci e and let it kind dangle there.

I will be editing the boot.plist to have "graphicsEnabler"=no within the next hour or so. I will report my results back here. I decided to stop last night after reading through the tutorials because I was tired, but today is a new day.

Thanks insanelymac forum and especially thanks Tristan!

I think editing the boot.plist on the usb drive will be my first attempt to get my new machine to boot with the gtx 295. It would be great for me to be able to get this machine to boot with the gtx 295, because I have already since returned my geforce 7900 to my original hackintosh and it is a bit of a pain to return it to this new machine since my gtx 295 is liquid cooled and there is little room to keep switching cards. In fact, since I refuse to drain my loop and completely remove my gtx 295 when I boot with the 7900, I simply unplug it from the pci e and let it kind dangle there.

I will be editing the boot.plist to have "graphicsEnabler"=no within the next hour or so. I will report my results back here. I decided to stop last night after reading through the tutorials because I was tired, but today is a new day.

Thanks insanelymac forum and especially thanks Tristan!

That's what I did when I was trying to get both cards working as well! Actually, I was probably lazier since I just left my second card in the other pci-e slot and simply removed one of the power connectors.

Let's hope the graphicsEnabler thing works!

That's what I did when I was trying to get both cards working as well! Actually, I was probably lazier since I just left my second card in the other pci-e slot and simply removed one of the power connectors.

Let's hope the graphicsEnabler thing works!

HOLY HELL TRISTAN!!!! IT WORKED!!! I AM BOOTED INTO SNOW LEOPARD ON THE GTX 295!!!!!

The graphicsenabler mod worked! Now I have to get the drivers installed. Im going to try and use that tutorial.

If and WHEN I run into something I dont understand in the tutorial, ill post back here for assistance

HOLY HELL TRISTAN!!!! IT WORKED!!! I AM BOOTED INTO SNOW LEOPARD ON THE GTX 295!!!!!

The graphicsenabler mod worked! Now I have to get the drivers installed. Im going to try and use that tutorial.

If and WHEN I run into something I dont understand in the tutorial, ill post back here for assistance

hmm, it would seem that my first attempt at installing the drivers via that tutorial have failed. I followed everything, and now upon reboot I end up with a simple circle with a line through it. I used -v and see that it just sits at *still waiting for root device* *still waiting for root device*

I was slightly confused on one thing during the tutorial. I was supposed to edit the boot.plist and what not, but I was confused as to whether or not I was supposed to edit that on the thumb drive or the root drive. You can install the ep45ud3p magic software directly to the root drive once youve installed sl so that you no longer need the thumb drive. i didnt know if i should try that first.

Also, was I supposed to leave the graphicsenabler equals no in the bootplist after the installation of the drivers, or should i delete the equals no.

I may have just destroyed this sl install and will possibly have to try and reinstall.

hmm, it would seem that my first attempt at installing the drivers via that tutorial have failed. I followed everything, and now upon reboot I end up with a simple circle with a line through it. I used -v and see that it just sits at *still waiting for root device* *still waiting for root device*

I was slightly confused on one thing during the tutorial. I was supposed to edit the boot.plist and what not, but I was confused as to whether or not I was supposed to edit that on the thumb drive or the root drive. You can install the ep45ud3p magic software directly to the root drive once youve installed sl so that you no longer need the thumb drive. i didnt know if i should try that first.

Also, was I supposed to leave the graphicsenabler equals no in the bootplist after the installation of the drivers, or should i delete the equals no.

I may have just destroyed this sl install and will possibly have to try and reinstall.

Congrats are still in order, mrfrank! At least we now know how to get into SL with the GTX 295.

Can you boot up using the thumb drive, assuming you have not edited the boot.plist on it aside from the graphicsenabler=no?

I believe you will need to edit the boot.plist on the root drive and /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration.

This is what I would do since we know that graphicsenabler=0 gets into SL. I would do the necessary edits to boot.plist, install Chameleon RC4, make sure I have the correct DSDT.aml, run kext utility to repair extensions and see if that works.

Let me take a closer look at that thread to see what they did.

EDIT: So it seems that you'll get EFI strings for the graphics card and add a key "device-properties" and the relevant string in the boot.plist. Next, you'd have to trash ATY_Init.kext if that's present in /System/Library/Extensions; I'd just move it to the desktop so I have a backup copy just in case.

Oh, you might also have to edit NVDANV50Hal.kext (I forgot I did that for my setup as well). See post #3 in this thread:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=184318

One other thing, the EFI strings generated in SL are incorrect; they must be done in Leopard. That was the main reason I failed in earlier attempts. I finally did it on a virtualized Leopard under vm workstation in Windows 7 and it worked. If need be, I can generate the correct string for you if you give me your in.plist.

Oh wait! You get a "still waiting for root device". Boot from the usb drive with the "-s" flag and try to flag the SL partition as bootable; that's probably the root device problem. To do that:

1. Once in single user mode, execute the two commands just above the prompt. I believe it looks like /fsck something and then /mount something.

2. Then type fdisk -e /dev/rdisk# (The # refers to your disk number).

3. Type print, and you'll see the partition table.

4. Type flag # (where # is the partition number on which SL is installed)

5. Type update.

6. Type write.

7. Reboot.

Congrats are still in order, mrfrank! At least we now know how to get into SL with the GTX 295.

Can you boot up using the thumb drive, assuming you have not edited the boot.plist on it aside from the graphicsenabler=no?

I believe you will need to edit the boot.plist on the root drive and /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration.

This is what I would so since we know that graphicsenabler=0 gets into SL. I would do the necessary edits to boot.plist, install Chameleon RC4, make sure I have the correct DSDT.aml, run kext utility to repair extensions and see if that works.

As I had edited the boot.plist on the thumb drive, I was even unable to boot into the installer on the thumb drive. So I just popped the thumb drive back into my other hackintosh and restored the boot.plist to simply having the graphics enabler edit. I am now again able to boot into the sl installer.

Forgive my poor punctuation in this thread as I am using a mini keyboard on my other hackintosh and it doesn:t recognize all of the keys properly. I only have one normal usb keyboard and it is currently on my new machine.

This is what I would do since we know that graphicsenabler=0 gets into SL. I would do the necessary edits to boot.plist, install Chameleon RC4, make sure I have the correct DSDT.aml, run kext utility to repair extensions and see if that works.

EDIT: So it seems that you'll get EFI strings for the graphics card and add a key "device-properties" and the relevant string in the boot.plist. Next, you'd have to trash ATY_Init.kext if that's present in /System/Library/Extensions; I'd just move it to the desktop so I have a backup copy just in case.

Oh, you might also have to edit NVDANV50Hal.kext (I forgot I did that for my setup as well). See post #3 in this thread:

One other thing, the EFI strings generated in SL are incorrect; they must be done in Leopard. That was the main reason I failed in earlier attempts. I finally did it on a virtualized Leopard under vm workstation in Windows 7 and it worked. If need be, I can generate the correct string for you if you give me your in.plist.

Oh wait! You get a "still waiting for root device". Boot from the usb drive with the "-s" flag and try to flag the SL partition as bootable; that's probably the root device problem. To do that:

1. Once in single user mode, execute the two commands just above the prompt. I believe it looks like /fsck something and then /mount something.

5. Type update.

6. Type write.

7. Reboot.

unfortunately I just started reinstalling sl because i was under the impression that the install was done for. I should be back into sl soon and I will reinstall the driver using the tutorial you first provided. Except this time I will edit the boot.plist on the actual install and not the thumb drive.

As I had edited the boot.plist on the thumb drive, I was even unable to boot into the installer on the thumb drive. So I just popped the thumb drive back into my other hackintosh and restored the boot.plist to simply having the graphics enabler edit. I am now again able to boot into the sl installer.

Forgive my poor punctuation in this thread as I am using a mini keyboard on my other hackintosh and it doesn:t recognize all of the keys properly. I only have one normal usb keyboard and it is currently on my new machine.

unfortunately I just started reinstalling sl because i was under the impression that the install was done for. I should be back into sl soon and I will reinstall the driver using the tutorial you first provided. Except this time I will edit the boot.plist on the actual install and not the thumb drive.

Right, and if you get the "still waiting for root device" error, you can boot using the thumb drive and run the commands I listed above. Good luck!

5. Type update.

6. Type write.

7. Reboot.

So I reinstalled sl, went through the gtx 295 tutorial again. Rebooted and ended up with the still waiting for root device error. I rebooted and tried to boot using the single user mode flag. This still ended up with the waiting for root device error. Then I tried booting using the thumb drive and I still could not boot the sl drive. I then booted the thumb drive sl installation so that I could get to use the installers terminal. Will I be able to use this terminal to fix the problem? If so, I am confused as to what you are refering to when you said in your instructions execute the two commands just above the prompt. */fsck and /mount??

So I reinstalled sl, went through the gtx 295 tutorial again. Rebooted and ended up with the still waiting for root device error. I rebooted and tried to boot using the single user mode flag. This still ended up with the waiting for root device error. Then I tried booting using the thumb drive and I still could not boot the sl drive. I then booted the thumb drive sl installation so that I could get to use the installers terminal. Will I be able to use this terminal to fix the problem? If so, I am confused as to what you are refering to when you said in your instructions execute the two commands just above the prompt. */fsck and /mount??

At the installer's terminal, type:

/sbin/fsck -fy

/sbin/mount -uw /

Then, type:

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk# (where # is the disk on which SL is installed)

print (to see the partition table)

flag # (where # is the partition on which SL is installed)

write

update

quit

Reboot and try to see if you can boot into SL without the thumb drive.

It's odd that you cannot boot your SL partition with the thumb drive though...

/sbin/fsck -fy

/sbin/mount -uw /

Then, type:

write

update

quit

Please dont laugh at me if this is an obvious question, but how do i know what disk number is my sl install. you say where # is my sl install, but how do i know the number. I appreciate all your help tristan

Please dont laugh at me if this is an obvious question, but how do i know what disk number is my sl install. you say where # is my sl install, but how do i know the number. I appreciate all your help tristan

How many hard disks do you have? If it's just one, it's probably disk0. In any case, you can tell once you type print to see the partition table. If it's not the correct disk, type exit; and try disk1.

/sbin/fsck -fy

/sbin/mount -uw /

Then, type:

write

update

quit

when i type print the table comes up and row 1 is the only one with information. the very right of the table says gpt.

then when i type flag 1 i get the notice *device could not be accessed exclusively. a reboot will be needed for changes to take effect. ok y/n?

so im not sure if that is supposed to ask me that

when i type print the table comes up and row 1 is the only one with information. the very right of the table says gpt.

then when i type flag 1 i get the notice *device could not be accessed exclusively. a reboot will be needed for changes to take effect. ok y/n?

so im not sure if that is supposed to ask me that

That's correct, so you've only installed SL on this one disk. Yes, reboot for the changes to take effect.

no luck. nothing. i tried booting normal straight into the sl drive. i tried booting into safe mode. i tried booting using the thumb drive. i tried booting into safe mode with the thumb drive. nothing works. always still waiting for root device.

im curious what in the gtx 295 tutorial causes this ultimate failure. any ideas of how to fix my current install. or should we try reinstalling sl and trying some other way to install the gtx 295.

thanks tristan

no luck. nothing. i tried booting normal straight into the sl drive. i tried booting into safe mode. i tried booting using the thumb drive. i tried booting into safe mode with the thumb drive. nothing works. always still waiting for root device.

im curious what in the gtx 295 tutorial causes this ultimate failure. any ideas of how to fix my current install. or should we try reinstalling sl and trying some other way to install the gtx 295.

thanks tristan

Is your BIOS set to AHCI? This is probably the first thing to check. :)

And did the GTX 295 successfully load at least?