Is it possible to put an osx86 mac into a powerpc g3 blue and white case?

12 posts in this topic

Well, i like the design of the power pc g3 case and was wondering if it was possible to put a x86 mac in there?

I'm about to find out in the next few weeks if it will fit a microATX or even a full ATX motherboard.

Just bought a B&W G3 system (still working :D) to see if I can fit my A64 OSX setup in it :D

(will get the case this week)

Trying to find someone with a Dremel to help me adjust everything. Since I don't have onboard graphics

and the onboard sound/NIC don't work in OSX I need my AGP Ati (9600 Pro full size) and PCI (NIC) slots

available from the back..

Are the PSU's in the G3 case smaller then an ATX power supply? If so that might be a small problem :D

Also found a cheap defect G4 (with blue-ish front...), so that's comming in this week also.

When looking at pictures from an openend G4 case, I doubt it'll fit a full-size ATX motherboard,

maybe if you lose the CD/DVD drive it might work..

The PS in the B&W is stock ATX. Shouldn't have any problems with that.

Nope, its not quite there... You need to reverse two wires iirc

Earlier 'beige' G3's were ATX's but the B&W isn't.

As soon as you attempt to close the case for the first time, you'll see why people don't do this often! Your heatsink and fan combo will hit part of the internals - PSU/CDROM etc.

Trust me, I'm going through this pain barrier as I write.

Now - enough talk of the dremel, think laterally and consider the power of lateral thought ;-)

Heres my approach.....Mount the motherboard where you want in the case so that it clears obstacles, and build extension cables for all you need. Externally the mac has ports for 2x firewire, 2x usb, one audio and one mic....and all you need to do is fabricate extension cables (RS and Maplin in the UK are your friends here). You'll need to do a short VGA and DVI cable as well and mount these on the original PCI card mountings.

I've built a small chassis out of veroboard and aluminium that holds all the ports that need replicating.

And....you can stuff your USB audio adaptor in there as well and route the in and ouputs to the corresponding holes the mac provides.

Quicksilver cases are nicer to work with imho, but you have to be a bit selective about your ATX PSU if you don't want to cut the lovely case plastics.

//R

• 3 months later...

I was able to stuff a intel 915gav into a G4 case I had some trouble with the mobo's dimms hitting so I tried turning the board a different direction. And presto! Not as factory finish as the ports don't face the back any more but you can still run your cables in through the gaping hole. For this boards its a trade off and now I have access to all 4 dimm slots! which is a higher priority for me than fit and finish. Only challenging part was the need modify a couple of capacitors that were still hitting the internal drive cage. Take a look see if you can live with it.

http://www.illstyleproductions.com/pixelmix/g4casemod/