From Hackintosh to Macintosh

172 posts in this topic

All I know is... I love my iMac more than I ever loved my hackintosh. Because of my Hackintosh, I was able to appreciate and feel comfortable becoming a 100% Mac user. I sold my pc setup and bought a iMac. It is much better then my Hackintosh... by a long shot. Do what my sig says, GET A REAL MAC.

I was working with my Dad to pick a notebook for school; and I was like "oh yeah I need the 512MB graphics card and a 17" screen! with like 1920x1200 res!!! omg!

So umm, finally I was like... well my current 15" 4:3 notebook has like.. an hour of battery life, is 11 lbs, I hate it... I can't take it anywhere, it's too heavy and way too big.... and that brought me down to earth that I needed something thin and light and with just enough to take notes, and stuff.

So I said all sly-like to my dad "so, what do you think about MacBook's?" and he was like all bright-eyed all of-a-sudden. He knew I had made a good choice. He had read that they were basically perfect for going off to school. Does everything you need and more, is thin, is light, is virus and malware free.

So I knew I was going to get the MacBook, the only problem then was I had to earn half to pay for it and I wanted the black one so I knew I had to raise about 800$ to pay for it all including taxes for my half. So I found some stuff around my room and old computer stuff to sell on forums/ebay and did a ton of work around the house for my parents, stained the deck furniture, washed the dog and their cars a ton, helped him build new shelves for the garage and just a ton of stuff. I didn't have a real job so I settled for anything I could get. Eventually I worked up my half, and my mom knew I worked hard to get it so she said she'd not take the money from me and instead let me keep it.

Right when my dad and I decided I was going to get the MacBook I went upstairs, and I knew it was x86 and I knew I had downloaded the Deadmoo image previously but it didn't work for me, so I wanted to see how it came along. I found a MyZar 10.4.5 DVD on Demonoid or somewhere and installed that on the laptop mentioned above.

It didn't all work perfect, but it was enough for me to get acclimated to the OS for the weeks ahead that I'd worked for so when I picked up the MacBook for real I could just jump right in and know exactly what was up. I fell in love with the OS and have since installed it on my desktop off and on a few times. It's not the same as a real mac though, so I'm just running Vista there, and I leave the Mac OS work to my notebook.

Well my reply on page 5 is OLD and my attitude has changed, thus I have my iBook. I still don't like jobs, but I would buy a new mac if I had the side money. Why have I changed? Hacks are great but the maintenance is high, to me at least. My iBook, I turn it on and do what I need to, power it off. No problems, no hassles, nothing. It works. I still have my hack that is used when I need more CPU horsepower, but nothing else.

When I posted that on page 5, the new intels were lacking and over priced. Now, the iMac is a deal, the Mini is an OK deal (need 1 gig ram standard), Macbook is a deal, and the Mac Pro's are phenomenal deals. The Macbook Pro's are in my opinion the only bad thing. To high for what you get, by MY opinion. It took a bit, but the new Intel Mac lines are the {censored}. I want a desktop, just don't know what. A Mac Pro would be nice, but may not be able to get one. The new cube that is suppose to replace the Mini would be the PERFECT machine for me. Upgradable and a Mac.

Over time, when you use a hack you do one of two things:

1. Stay with the hack and love the hacking/updating it.
  2. Get tired of the hacking and want the real thing.

I went with 2. I am a computer scientist (degrees)/system administrator and I just don't want to deal with {censored} at home, thus a real Mac is it. I was kind of narrow minded in the beginning with hackintosh, but in time I changed. Macs are great and I recommend them to everybody, whether they get one or not.

It's quite sad really, that in my country (New Zealand), I have to pay $3,899 US for a 17" Macbook Pro... if I were in America I would only have to pay $2,799 US for the same system.

Consider yourselves lucky.

Here, in Brazil, I have to pay U$ 7.000,00. :boxing:

I too did the OSx86 install on my Vaio laptop, and fell in love with the OS. I used it for several months and had almost everything working (after changing the internal wireless card to a Dell Truemobile 1450) Could not get the cardbus slot to work though. I had a dual boot setup because all my phone modding software was PC based. When a friend put bootcamp on his Macbook pro, I decided the time had come to make the jump. Bought a Macbook and gave the laptop to my son after doing a full restore back to factory. I'm happy he's happy everybody wins. I know many will say that for the price you get more pc etc.... But like the commercials say "It just works" (not to mention no more concerns about updates puking my system)

Just my two cents...

Here, in Brazil, I have to pay U$ 7.000,00. :)

Oh my God. I just did a currency conversion from a 17" MacBook Pro I found via Google that cost Brazilian $12,999.00 and it converts to about $6850.00 in US dollars. What the hell?

Are all computers that expensive there? Or just Macs?

Oh my God. I just did a currency conversion from a 17" MacBook Pro I found via Google that cost Brazilian $12,999.00 and it converts to about $6850.00 in US dollars. What the hell?

Are all computers that expensive there? Or just Macs?

Macs are really expensive here in Brazil. That´s why many people can´t buy it here. Even mac minis are kind of expensive (U$1700,00).

All computers are expensive in Brazil? Not really. You can find some Pentium D, Athlon and some Core 2 Duo for reasonable prices.

But...good parts are expensive, if you want to buy it in good stores, paying taxes and everything (like everybody should do):

. Core 2 Duo E6700: U$ 650,00

. VGA PCI-E nVIDIA 8800GTS: U$ 1.000,00

this may be a dumb question but why is it soo much? tariffs, taxes, just apple being a jerk?

In my opinion, all these things. Apple is thinking about to open an Apple Store here. We´ll see what´s going to happen with the prices.

You guys can´t believe what a Ipod cost here...

Macs are really expensive here in Brazil. That´s why many people can´t buy it here. Even mac minis are kind of expensive (U$1700,00).

All computers are expensive in Brazil? Not really. You can find some Pentium D, Athlon and some Core 2 Duo for reasonable prices.

But...good parts are expensive, if you want to buy it in good stores, paying taxes and everything (like everybody should do):

In my opinion, all these things. Apple is thinking about to open an Apple Store here. We´ll see what´s going to happen with the prices.

Same thing in Guatemala, Central America, everything is expensive so getting a real mac is just for some rich guys, that's why I use my hackintosh instead of buying a real mac :P

Until apple sets a real mac store here in were the prices can go cheaper, apple wont gain more users.

Here in Costa Rica the 20-inch iMac is about $600 more expensive than US , I am using my hackintosh but planning to buy an Imac at the end of the year.

Maybe a friend that is plannig to travel US can buy it for me :P .

Here in Europe Macs are more expensive too, because we pay in euros what in the US they pay in dollars.

Thus we pay 35/40% more. See my fav Mac Pro configuration in my sig: buying it in euros would cost me $1050 more at least!

I have gone from Macintosh to Hackintosh, well not really cause I still use my Mac mini, but I do like the fact that the Hackintosh hardware can be upgraded really easily. I find my config:

Asrock Conroe945-DVI

1GB DDR2 667

1.83 Core2Duo

250GB SATA HDD

Superdrive (DVR-110)

GMA950

was a mere $400 canadian to put together with a case, and this was in the very first days when the duo core chips were released. The chip was the most expensive part. But there are limitations of course. After playing some more I am looking forward to just selling my Mac mini G4 and core 2 duo machine and purchase a macbook.

• 2 weeks later...

attn: all those that complain about the price of Apple computers

please take a step back and compare our current Macbooks.

right now, in Canada, 1300 dollars will buy you a 2.16ghz Macbook with 1 gig of ram, Sdrive, 120gb hd.

1300 dollars will get you an Acer lappy with a 1.7ghz Core Duo [32-bit, not core2duo]

macs are not super expensive anymore.

I´m from Brazil too and I have to agree. For the cost of a real mac here, it´s like they're begging us to use a hackingtosh.

But even with the machines so expensive, the reason I still don´t have a mac is because I didn´t find one that really matches with myself. I would buy a Mac Pro but it would cost more than my 2 years old car :P And an iMac would be perfect if it came with a more powerful graphics card (not that it´s all bad, but for someone already used to a 7900 or 8800...). I´m a pc gammer and Microsoft certified programmer so I guess I´ll have to live in the two worlds for a while.

By the way: The iPod in Brazil is the most expensive in the world:

http://www.comsec.com.au/public/news.aspx?id=809

http://www.thelocal.se/6141/20070119/

I find apples current lineup lacking for my needs.

I want to be able to have a good amount of hd space and a decent gfx-card, so that rules out the mini + imacs.

since I dont use apps that use 2x cpus or feel like paying extra for slower ECC ram, that rules out mac pro

Its borring apple doesnt have anything between mobile cpu/gfx solutions (mini and imacs) and workstation cpus (mac pro) a mac pro light would be perfect, single socket 775 system with pci-e gfx card, but wait thats a hackintosh...

I bought a MacPro in December and it's a bit too much machine for all I intend to use it for. PCs will probably always be my first choice because I've got too many years and too much irreplacible software invested in them. My Apple dreamlist would be the 24" iMac with either 2 eSata ports built in or at least a PCI-e card slot that would allow for eSata expansion. I'm not a gamer so the current 256mb gfx card is fine for me.

I spent a lot of time trying to get Mac OS X running smoothly on my old Inspiron 9400 laptop, only for it to fall over some time after. I've given up, sold my laptop and today purchased a new 17" iMac. The OS X experience on a real Apple computer is so much better imho.