From Hackintosh to Macintosh

172 posts in this topic

Regarding Amiga, from the history I remember, and possibly incorrectly, Commodore brought it to market, but only after they acquired (or was it lifted, I don't remember) the design from Atari.

Not quite correct. You might want to start by reading the Wikipedia entry for "history of the Amiga" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Amiga

Then read more about the history at the Atari ST entry http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_st#Amiga_contract

Amiga was a mess in an of itself.

The marketing was a mess, Commodore's management was a mess, but the computer and OS was light years ahead of it's time. They were doing things in 1985 that Microsoft was struggling to do in 1995!

Once you have installed the Boot Camp firmware update, you don't have to do anything else special to install any other OS on your system. It apparently installs the BIOS emulation layer to the EFI, so non-EFI OS's install just as they would on any other computer. You aren't "dependent on Apple" to release updates for other OS's, you use the same updates as anyone else using any other brand of computer.

But if it had been so simple on apple parts to implement the BIOS over EFI, and that the emulation layer for EFI that works as BIOS means, other OS's including OS X itself uses the BIOS functionality isn't..

Then every Hackintosh would have been converted into the mac clone isnt...

And also what about the PRICE to POWER ratio, its always higher when apple comes into picture..

Also, its quite difficult to upgrade Processing Power and Graphics capability of the Computer System designed by Apple that comes in the lower budget range..

As the design of Mac restricts anyone to upgrade those component..

PLS dont take this offensive, its just my views...

The thing i dislike about this forum is the way you guys say macs are overpriced, which is the only reason your not going to buy.

exactly the reason i CAN'T buy. its not a case of stubbornly refusing to. its a case of being priced out.

So really, you may have a super fast pc, but thats all it is. Its a bog standard, home made pc, like any other 13 year makes to show off to his friends.

and you have a bog-standard, factory built pc in an Apple box. the kind any 13 year old would show off to his friends. your point?

and finally. xiberia, do you really think steve jobs cares that your not buying his hardware?

if Steve Jobs DOESN'T care whether or not we buy his hardware then he should step down as CO and get someone in to run the company that DOES care that people aren't buying Apple hardware. They are a business, are they not?

You steal from apple and tell us all that your computers are the fastest in the world, and frankly i think that any real mac user (like myself) would be laughing at you.

Buy into the propaganda machine all you want, but the fact is that you can buy a PC that IS faster than the top range intelMac, for almost half the price. Thats not fantasy, thats benchmarks. So what exactly are you paying for? The design of the case? not worth an extra £400. So, in essence, you're paying and extra £400 for the privilage of using OSX. Wow.... thats the most expensive OS I've ever heard of! :blink:

So. Tell me again why Apple would lose money just selling the OS for Vanilla PCs?

Obviously it would hurt the Mac Martyr community, because they wouldnt be able to say "Hey, my super expensive piece of junk Apple-branded Mac is better than your cheap, faster non-branded Mac!"

Apple ][ states: "Apple is Evil..." I'm not sure about that. I always thought of Apple as David to Microsoft's Goliath... :) Apple always seems to be the underdog.

Yeah, I prefer the design looks of MacMini too. My "Rubic's Cube" computer is smaller than most computers, but still bigger than the MacMini.

I hope that OSx86 can continue to generate interest in the Mac platform. I downloaded Windows Vista Beta 2 to try it out. Although the interface is nice, it doesn't seem as simple and elegant as OS X (IMHO). :D

--daniel :spam:

I built a hackintosh machine, Penitum D 920 dual core 2.8ghz, 1gb ram and after patching the NIC, patching the sound card, fixing the ati drivers to run my x840xt, having to fix the screen tearing, waiting for the updates to be installable, always downloading pre-patched 4gb iso installs I got fed up and got a macbook 2.0

Now I have them side by side and honestly the macbook boots faster, FinalCut Pro runs quicker, as does Photoshop, the macbook's graphics look crisper and clearer. I like having a machine that runs os x flawlessly.

NO no no no no no no no no no!!!

We pirates don't want to hear that!! Apple is BAD, evil, a CULT I say!!! Their hardware and OS can't be designed symbiotically for performance!! It's supposed to be slow, it's supposed to be inferior to my box of random parts!!! NO!!! I don't believe it!!! Nah nah nah nah!!!

I can't hear you!! You say it's better so you must be bought by Apple to say those things!!!1! Apple is evil for creating an all-in-one solution for efficient computing. I'm supposed to be able to take the frosting without buying the whole cake!!! YOU ALL ARE APPLE BRAINWASHED!!! CULTISTS!!!

Oh, sorry... Just playing devil's advocate for a sec.

=)

I am curious, which ATI X1600 did you use.

Excellent writeup on your experiences with OSx86 & 'The Real Thing' cavemonkey!

I'll have to be the first and not the only one to disagree with you on the performance of OSx86 machines. You ran yours, and I'm sorry to say this, on a crappy computer- a celeron!!! I'm running mine @ 4Ghz (3.97), 2MB L2 Cache, with 4GB RAM OCZ Platinum DDR2 PC2 5400 LL series @ 3-3-3-12, FSB of 1052Mhz, 10k Raptor drive, ATI X1600/256MB with full audio/video support and I can assure you that this little baby would wipe the floor with any Duo Core Macbooks & G5s out there...

You need to plan for and have the right hardware if you were to have a valid comparison.

Anyway, congrats on your new purchase- I'm actually considering a laptop with OS X Tiger but haven't yet decided on whether to go for the real thing or build one.

EDIT :: Best part is- I paid half of what you paid for your macbook... I think I'll wait until they iron out all current pending issues with macbooks/pros and then we'll see

NO no no no no no no no no no!!!

We pirates don't want to hear that!! Apple is BAD, evil, a CULT I say!!! Their hardware and OS can't be designed symbiotically for performance!! It's supposed to be slow, it's supposed to be inferior to my box of random parts!!! NO!!! I don't believe it!!! Nah nah nah nah!!!

I can't hear you!! You say it's better so you must be bought by Apple to say those things!!!1! Apple is evil for creating an all-in-one solution for efficient computing. I'm supposed to be able to take the frosting without buying the whole cake!!! YOU ALL ARE APPLE BRAINWASHED!!! CULTISTS!!!

Oh, sorry... Just playing devil's advocate for a sec.

=)

of course is supposed to be slower than my box with chosen parts if i build it for performance or mine will be alot cheaper if i build one to save money.

Really a desktop apple assembled pc doesn't make any sense for me, apple only future is in notebooks

Thanks cavemonkey50 for a nice story/writing.

I have tried every single release that was released: 10.4.1 - 10.4.6

At the moment I'm running 10.4.6 on a Dell Optiplex gx620.

Nothing worked out of the box, I had to "hack" the sound, graphics and install a cheap realtek nic.

It's working now but still the graphics are {censored} (mouse tearing) and it just doesn't feel like the real thing.

As a Desktop Support Technician / System Administrator my day is filled with M$ Windows.

When I'm home I just want a system that works and does not need any modifications.

That's why I think about buying a MacBook. No need for "hacking" stuff and no {censored} graphics, just a system that works.

Also I'm a gadget freak and the MacBook looks so damn pretty, you can't ignore that :)

I agree on the money thing, Apple computers are not the cheapest.

But than again they look awesome :)

I'm not completly sure if I will buy one as money comes in to play but Hackintosh and your story (cavemonkey50) made me think about a real Mac...

Hackintosh is just a great way to introduce yourself in the world of computing how it's supposed to be.

Thanks cavemonkey50 for a nice story/writing.

I have tried every single release that was released: 10.4.1 - 10.4.6

At the moment I'm running 10.4.6 on a Dell Optiplex gx620.

Nothing worked out of the box, I had to "hack" the sound, graphics and install a cheap realtek nic.

It's working now but still the graphics are {censored} (mouse tearing) and it just doesn't feel like the real thing.

As a Desktop Support Technician / System Administrator my day is filled with M$ Windows.

When I'm home I just want a system that works and does not need any modifications.

That's why I think about buying a MacBook. No need for "hacking" stuff and no {censored} graphics, just a system that works.

Also I'm a gadget freak and the MacBook looks so damn pretty, you can't ignore that :hysterical:

I agree on the money thing, Apple computers are not the cheapest.

But than again they look awesome :)

I'm not completly sure if I will buy one as money comes in to play but Hackintosh and your story (cavemonkey50) made me think about a real Mac...

Hackintosh is just a great way to introduce yourself in the world of computing how it's supposed to be.

uh...if your running a gx620 - why aren't you using the GMA950 which is built onto your motherboard??? It doesn't need to be hacked and would get rid of your mouse tearing and likely be much faster too.... Same video as the MacBook

Oh, and edit a couple of lines in a plist and your onboard NIC would work. I have the same machine and it's flawless once you make 2 or 3 quickie hacks.

Just curious. Thanks

Hello everyone, I'm cavemonkey50 and I'm the new guy on OSx86 Project.

All very good points indeed, but less look at a few things first shall we?

First, Apple's QC has some issues right now.

MBP = too hot on the top of the keyboard

MB=too hot on the bottom

iMAC=No 800FW, No 32/PCMIA card read, i.e. no expansion.

MB has GPU artifact issues, not to mention the $150 for a black model.

With that said, let's take a look shall we and see how Apples pricing structure works.

A noob, or not, walks in sees MB at $1099, but wait no DVD, so I will get the $1299 model, but wait, ORANGE stains on the white not to mention the on-board GMA and no PCMIA card reader, I might as well go for the black, but wait, now I am only $500 from the MBP, and that has dedicated GPU, but wait, that GPU is underclocked, hmmmm, what to do. I know, I will get a iMAC, but wait, no PCMIA card slot, no FW800, darn, limited again.

Ok, so for $400 you can build a machine, use onboard GMA950 have QE/CI working, add in the price of another monitor (if you wish) and a ADD2 card and now you have dual display, plus you can add some ATIX1600 cards, have 4 more Hard Drives (all final cut books talk over and over how you MUST use an external drive), with that said, there has been a published article that shows internal 7200 beats 800FW not to mention the newer SATAII.

So, do you think since the MB beats the dual G5, Apple will reduce the price? No, they won't!

They will charge an arm and a leg for the newest generation towers at which time, drivers will be developed for OSX86 org one way or another.

The only solution I see Apple doing, if they really, REALLY want to grow is to slash the G5 models, make the MBP the MAC BOOK at MB price points, make the MBP the dual dual core and the desktops the higher end CPU's and offer quad dual core.

You think it's going to get easier for Apple to cripple things? Once the desktops come out, the drivers will start to be developed for GPU's and devices, making it easier, not harder for OSX86.

Right now, Apple and their products (not to mention that HARDWARE SNOBBERY IS DEAD) as QC (Quality Control) is a mess. Every PC product from them has problems, or is set up (price points) in a way to lure you higher and higher into spending a fortune!

How do explain that a $400 built system with 2GB DDR, a $100 GPU (ATIX1600) can match the MBP?

Where is all that extra money going? It's certainly not going toward QC!

Basically Apple is a rip off and always will be until they stop making crippleware (the same thing Digidesign did for years, until they finally scooped up M-Audio) and start offering Mac's at price points that are equal to the PC conter parts while also allowing for the upgradability without voiding one's warranty!

10.4.7 coming down now ;-). MacBook Pro, legit, gets the updates first. Released today?!

Sorry about the amiga distraction mash.

I really like the article, as I said before. What is your funniest story of trying to get your hackintosh to work?

Anyone else return a half dozen peripherals in their search for a working network adapter. Then, BTW, it ended up broke once I did get one as my son snapped it out of the back of the laptop.

But there is still one issue which over-priced macs dont have. Legal OS X. With a Legal OS X for normal pcs, there would be global piece. :hysterical: I'd hope, but at least people could buy cheap PCs and put OS X on them without the worry of the FBI sending them to jail! :)

by the way, just checked and 10.4.7 is out!

by the way, just checked and 10.4.7 is out!

post-18780-1151439921_thumb.png

post-18780-1151439927_thumb.png

Legal OS X for generic PCs would have to be purposely crippled, since Apple can't control the hardware you try and put it on. No target disk mode. No Boot picker. No Netboot/network imaging or restore. No Firmware password. And no (whatever Apple has planned for the future.)

Apple is a hardware company. There is a collaboration between their software and their hardware.

uh...if your running a gx620 - why aren't you using the GMA950 which is built onto your motherboard??? It doesn't need to be hacked and would get rid of your mouse tearing and likely be much faster too.... Same video as the MacBook

Oh, and edit a couple of lines in a plist and your onboard NIC would work. I have the same machine and it's flawless once you make 2 or 3 quickie hacks.

Just curious. Thanks

Bart,

Thanks for your feedback.

I'm not using the integrated graphics as its limited to 8mb video memory max.

In my BIOS I can only set it to either 1 or 8mb.

8mb wont do OSx86 any good I think...

About the nic, if you can post the lines for in the plist, that would be cool :hysterical:

Another SMC firmware update also in the software updates. Can't wait. . .hopefully it deals with heat, which as I've said before is the ONLY thing I miss from my hackintosh adventures - the feeling of a cool laptop bottom in bed ;-).

Bart,

Thanks for your feedback.

I'm not using the integrated graphics as its limited to 8mb video memory max.

In my BIOS I can only set it to either 1 or 8mb.

8mb wont do OSx86 any good I think...

About the nic, if you can post the lines for in the plist, that would be cool :)

The BIOS RAM setting is for booting only. Once the driver is loaded is goes to either 64 or 128mb. The fix for the NIC is in the forums:

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?s=...ndpost&p=105666

Bart

Just tested my GX620 with the integrated Intel GMA950. (64mb)

Works great now, I kept the PCI realtek NIC as it works great and only cost me 3 euro (I think).

Only thing I needed to "hack" was the sound.

Everything is working fine now, no mouse tearing!

Getting a 67 score with XBench (is that an OK score?)

This makes my choice for a real MacBook or Hackintosh a bit more difficult!!