From Hackintosh to Macintosh

172 posts in this topic

So following gwprod12's logic would be people who can't fix their pc's should buy a webtv but in turn if they can't fix their webtv should buy a mac with apple care? haha

Really, if you cant make a webtv work, you're not smart enough to be wasting oxygen I could be breathing.

If macs were cheaper, people who bought them wouldnt be able to think they're better than everyone else.

Duh.

My three cents...

First of all, thanks to cavemonkey for a great editorial.

Here are few points I agree with:

1) Real Mac's work great (out-of-the-box) without any modifications.

2) Updates on real Mac's are whole lot easier (no need for patching).

3) Performance can be better on Real Mac's compared to OSx86 counterparts.

4) You have to be lucky or build a machine to match Apple's specs.

I'm a former Mac User and current OSx86 user. I used to own iMac G3 (green) along with iBook G3 (white). I'm used to run OS X 10.2 on both Mac's (although the iMac came with OS 9).

I got interested in OSx86 in February 2006 when I found this website. On a whim, I installed deadmoo's image on my Dell Inspiron 1150. After much effort, I was able to get graphics, sound and wireless network to work properly. The laptop running OSx86 10.4.1 runs very fast compared to my older Mac's.

During the summer, I bought my custom-built OSx86 Box (MSI PC) for around $400 (used my old monitor, keyboard and mouse). The computer runs amazingly well and supports the graphical 'extras'. The computer compares well to real MacMini. Although I'll give the performance edge to MacMini (probably due to CoreDuo) and design edge (MacMini is smaller and more stylish than mine - IMHO :)

One thing that no one has failed to mention: OSx86 on generic hardware 'looks' better than Windows on the same hardware. When using OSx86 to run Quicktime Movie Trailers, the colors look more vibrant and crisp compared to Windows running on same box and monitor!

OSx86 is great for people who like to tinker and hack in order to get to work. Real Mac's are better for people who want computers that "just work" out-of-the-box.

--daniel :)

Even if i wished to buy a real MacBook, it would be same to take low powered system at higher rates, which till date is not a good strategy atleast from my side..

Eventhough, if i would buy a MacBook, it will not be tweakable as far as other Operating Systems r concerned..

And i'll have to depend on Apple for each and every update to run other operating systems on my Mac(if i had one) like thats the case to run Windows Operating System with the help of BootCamp???

I dont think thats cool.. :tomato:

If Apple takes a long time to releases updates regarding support of other Operating System then what??

Am i screwed!!!!!

No doubt that Mac OS X works fine on the real Mac, but its not the case with other operating System either with the EFI thing that totally discourages me....

And above all, whats the use of osx86project.org , if ur running Mac OS on a real Mac :)

And 4 sure ive not learnt so much about the Mac OS, it it wasnt for this site 4 sure!!!!!

:)

I'll admit I've had an illegal installation of OS X on my Vaio for almost a year now. (Look at the sig :)) Since then, I've bought an iPod, a universal dock, an Apple keyboard and mouse, and recently purchased an iSight. I did all of this because I'm trying to get the Mac-experience, but not no avail. I know the only way I can get the most out of OS X is by dumping the Vaio tower and getting a Mac Pro when they come out.

You, like myself, might be running the GUI, but it just doesn't feel right...

See what I mean:

phony1tc.png

Which would you want to have?

From one monkey to another - Oooook.

Translation:

A very insightfull write-up and right on the money, pardon the pun. I agree the Apple has nothing to loose from this community, in fact it will gain as more and more people find that they will eventually buy a real mac.

I'm one of those people, I've had a hacintosh since deadmoo just like you and order my Mac Book Pro. 2 months after.

Cheers

[Edited by Mash since the entire editorial was quoted... :)]

I went through a similar thing. I went from a 2.7 GHz Celeron to a 1.83 GHz Core Duo, from 1 GB RAM to

512 MB, and from Intel GMA 900 to Intel GMA 950. Even with less RAM and a slower processor, my Macbook beats my Hackintosh's performance by a mile.

Hum.. but dont forget one thing... Celeron dont have great performance... eighter on Windows... and dont forget.. you are talking about a "CORE DUO" processor... twice fast... even slower on clock but is a core duo...

And other think... Celeron have a poor L2cache... :)

I went through a similar thing. I went from a 2.7 GHz Celeron to a 1.83 GHz Core Duo, from 1 GB RAM to

512 MB, and from Intel GMA 900 to Intel GMA 950. Even with less RAM and a slower processor, my Macbook beats my Hackintosh's performance by a mile.

LOL LOL :) you can't compare the 2,7 GHz celeron craps to the 1.83 Ghz Core Duo since celeron is very slower than the Core Duo, especially we can not compare the GHz between a desktop CPU and a mobile CPU ;)

for a fair comparation i would choose e.g a Pentium D (dual core)/ AMD 64 X2(run osx86) and a core duo 1.83 or 2.00GHz :):tomato:

The thing i dislike about this forum is the way you guys say macs are overpriced, which is the only reason your not going to buy.

You steal from apple and tell us all that your computers are the fastest in the world, and frankly i think that any real mac user (like myself) would be laughing at you.

People buy macs for simplicity, and having to hack the installers, drivers and other things to even get OSX to run doesnt appear to be simple enough for my gran to do.

And once installed, you have to keep hacking for when the updates are released.

So really, you may have a super fast pc, but thats all it is. Its a bog standard, home made pc, like any other 13 year makes to show off to his friends.

and finally. xiberia, do you really think steve jobs cares that your not buying his hardware?

No, becuase most of you (look at my 4GHZ pc folks) wont have bought a mac in the first place. Your the kind of idiots who think that Linux is a usable operating system for the masses, and if it hadnt have been for OSX to have been hacked. I would imagine you would be using KDE to theme your version of linux to look just like the worlds most advanced operating system.

:D

Rigggghttt!

I did not post my specs to bloat about what I had- I was pointing out what mac's don't have and will never be capable off! Nothing wrong with a 'real' customization. Sure, a mac is a beautiful piece of hardware- I owned one, once upon a time- back in the days when it used to crawl. That's the only reason why I gave it up.

You think we're idiots? Ha! far from it .... We're a community that loves challenges better yet we've got brains- what do you have? a nut or 2 @ the most- don't be jealous now ;) . You have no right to be referring to the masses like that! Did you even read my post?! I think not.

RE: gwprod12: "I have to admit money isn't..."

This is directed at the point made by gwprod12 (which I do agree with, but I wanted to shed my wordy light on it a bit and maybe put that idea in perspective). Start of a long rant - this isn't meant to disagree with your post gwprod12, I'm just putting in other examples that might expand on things a bit. This isn't actually directed at you accusingly, just amusingly. :-)

so you only use an opensource linux distro that has no corporate funding behind it then? Since if you have a problem with Steve Jobs and his management of Apple, the only successful manafacturer of non-windows consumer pcs in the world (IE, only real direct microsoft AND compaq and HP and dell etc etc competitor), then I guess you must have a problem with how every other major entrepeneur pc/computer software ceo runs his business (and I wouldn't blame you). Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, Michael Dell, Fiorina and Capellas, those are people you wouldn't want to buy a used car from. They're incredibly tough people who have proven themselves as business leaders. The only difference is that Jobs is fighting against all of the others single handedly. He's the opposition. Sort of like Szulik of Red Hat. Another person I wouldn't buy a used car from.

So you must be using one of the publicly freely maintained linux systems and using one of the alternative motherboard manufacturers out there like ASrock (good heavens, inconsistent build quality there, I know I own some ASrock stuff myself). Because if you use any pc from any major manufacturer out there, whether or not you run windows on it currently, there was a small $$$ paid to microsoft by the company. And if you hate Steve Jobs, the underdog who is trying to regain his original position as the true creator of the modern personal computer (I know he bought the technology from Xerox, but he's the one who thought to put it into a small complete personal computer).... well then you must just DESPISE the other ceos who team up every day and thank each other for their multibillion dollar share of the world's computing pie. Red hat, mandrake, and many other distributions included.

Maybe you use debian on a custom part pc as I do. My linux box is purely mine, I didn't pay the big guys anything to make it. Of course, it's parts wouldn't exist if it weren't for Bill Gates, so in a way even that machine is cause for me not to sleep at night.

That's why I'd rather pay for a new Apple product from the man who is single handedly trying to fight the world's computing corporations together as a whole and release his own unique system with it's own ways of doing things. Sure Jobs is a great salesman, a tough leader, sure he used to be famous for firing anyone who looked at him the wrong way (my brother used to work for Apple, although he left on his own terms by his own decision many many eons ago). But if Jobs weren't in charge of Apple it would require someone equally egomaniacal to lead the company or Apple would no longer exist. Remember Commodore? Recall Atari? Great products, great companies, good kind thoughtful reasonable men in charge of the companies. The commodore Amiga was technologically the best computer of it's day. By the way, it was the first computer with a custom created unix-based graphical operating system with unix shells and an alertative windowing environment. It beat out OSX on an Apple computer by about 15 years. But those companies don't exist any more because people like Jobs weren't in charge.

Ok, I'm done. that was a fun rant! I feel much better now. Please disregard the whole thing, you're a smart guy, I like your posts, I just had to try to put some equality on this scene - for those people who might be influenced incorrectly by your post, it's not just Steve Jobs who is evil based on your standards. It's every successful computer company's CEO.

Of course, like you, that's just my own opinion. Don't bother backing up your claims, I'm not saying I disagree with you. I just wanted to add some other examples to it that, at least for me, are equal or worse than the example of Steve Jobs.

Cheers,

Dkelley

Dear Takuro:

Yeah, I know what you mean by the 'real' Mac Experience. I went to my local Apple Store and was able to try out Mac Mini with 20" Widescreen Display. The experience was very nice (even on lowly MacMini). May it had to do with the nice surroundings. Maybe it was the widescreen monitor.

What kind of display ar you running? I'm running my OSx86 Box with smallish 15" LCD Monitor. Would love to purchase larger widescreen display some day... :D

--daniel ;)

I'll admit I've had an illegal installation of OS X on my Vaio for almost a year now. (Look at the sig :P) Since then, I've bought an iPod, a universal dock, an Apple keyboard and mouse, and recently purchased an iSight. I did all of this because I'm trying to get the Mac-experience, but not no avail. I know the only way I can get the most out of OS X is by dumping the Vaio tower and getting a Mac Pro when they come out.

You, like myself, might be running the GUI, but it just doesn't feel right...

See what I mean:

Which would you want to have?

I don't think mac are expensive, in fact other PC's like HP or Sony Vaio or similars are more or less the same. I only think that they're expensive for the performance they have.

In fact as an ex Mac user I felt stolen by the performance of a MiniMac , It can hardly run a Photopshop for God's sake! I'm not going to tell Apple about their commercial politics but nowadays Macs are hacked PC's, that is a fact, and not viceversa. They became, the not long time ago, enemy.

I'm also thinking about buying an iMac Core Duo. My PC was running OS X fine, untill I didn't use it for over a week and it was broken again (black screen). So I removed it as I was getting tired of it.

The only thing I need now is money :), but my next computer will be a Mac, that's for sure.

i actually never had a hac. I downloaded the 10.4.1 torrent but i didnt have a computer to install it on, so i just said screw it and got rid of it. I knew i liked OS X because i used them at school. I bought a macbook pro because i wanted a laptop, as well as a mac i could game on. once boot camp was launched, i jumped on the 2.0 GHZ 256 MBvram MBP and i havent looked back. Im quite happy with the entire mac experience, as well as being abe to dual boot to play my games. I wouldnt even think about building a hackintosh, but i would consider buying an osx capable laptop. I am truly happy with my decision.

Even if i wished to buy a real MacBook, it would be same to take low powered system at higher rates, which till date is not a good strategy atleast from my side..

Eventhough, if i would buy a MacBook, it will not be tweakable as far as other Operating Systems r concerned..

And i'll have to depend on Apple for each and every update to run other operating systems on my Mac(if i had one) like thats the case to run Windows Operating System with the help of BootCamp???

I dont think thats cool.. :tomato:

If Apple takes a long time to releases updates regarding support of other Operating System then what??

Am i screwed!!!!!

No doubt that Mac OS X works fine on the real Mac, but its not the case with other operating System either with the EFI thing that totally discourages me....

And above all, whats the use of osx86project.org , if ur running Mac OS on a real Mac :graduated:

And 4 sure ive not learnt so much about the Mac OS, it it wasnt for this site 4 sure!!!!!

:angel:

Once you have installed the Boot Camp firmware update, you don't have to do anything else special to install any other OS on your system. It apparently installs the BIOS emulation layer to the EFI, so non-EFI OS's install just as they would on any other computer. You aren't "dependent on Apple" to release updates for other OS's, you use the same updates as anyone else using any other brand of computer.

Nice article - I'm also one who thanks to OSX86 ended up purchasing an additional Mac. I agree 100% that those who use OSX86 will either give up and return to windows, or will eventually buy Apple hardware. That is unless Apple decides to sell the OS seperately for installation legally and in a supported fashion on beige boxes.

As much as I hope they do, in the mean time, I'm using my Macbook Pro happily, legally, and without compromise. The reality is this site is good PR in my opinion, so long as nothing changes either with 1 - the content linking or 2 - the compatibility level of hackintosh.

It's close, but it isn't the real thing people. Don't kid yourself.

I prefer the one on the right. If you want compact, it appears much smaller. Isn't that the point of "mini"?

DKelley: I've never ever had a philosophical problem with Microsoft. Or Amazon, or Google, or whoever.

I have a problem with Apple for the same reason I have a problem with the Bush administration. Lies, Lies, Lies and More Lies. And, you're bad and barely human for resisting reeducation.

I dont want to be an Applie for the same reason I dont want to be a Christian.

Apple makes a nice operating system. But they're just evil.

Honestly, whenever I walk by an Apple store, I'm forced to walk in, and tell the losers who work there that my Hackintosh outperforms their MacBook Pro in every benchmark and real-world test. And I'm not shy about raising my voice when I do it.

Just a question. Wasn't the Amiga an Atari invention? (Just got done reading the Dkelley post after the above). I take from that the question of innovation. Apple lies, maybe. Apple innovates, definitely. I like google, although they have started the rounds with recent aquisitions. M$, for me, is lying anytime they claim to have innovated anything other than the way to make money off of someone else's idea. Professionally, I thank them for a decent income fixing and managing systems relient on their OS. Personally, I've become a mac user for all the reasons above.

Have you ever heard Microsoft make any claims about anything? Granted, they probably would if they had to, but they dont have to, so they dont brag excessively about what they cant deliver.

Amiga was developed by Commodore. If i'm not mistaken.

Bill Gates standard response, isn't it? Innovation.

Regarding Amiga, from the history I remember, and possibly incorrectly, Commodore brought it to market, but only after they acquired (or was it lifted, I don't remember) the design from Atari.

Bear in mind that Bill Gates never said HE did the innovating.

"Why is Microsoft the biggest software company in the world, Bill?"

"Because of [our insatiable lust for purchasing] innovation"