Welcome to the SigmaTel 9200 Driver Initiative!

james2mart

359 posts in this topic

my shuttle sb86i has ALC 880 on ICH6.

my stock 10.4.6 applehda.kext works when coming out of windows with 2 ch out.

on cold boot no output device.

willing to help for testing on ICH6

Back in town. Didn't get a chance to work on the driver while I was gone and won't be able to for a couple days. I got slapped with the responsibility of capturing and editing all of the video for the church trip I was on, so I'll finish that and get back to work.

As to mrheat, This is for SigmaTel chips. Anything else is way way far away in the future. Sorry.

awesome work so far James, I just found this forum tonight actually, it's good to know that someone is on the case. I was about to have to do it myself, but I'm so slammed with work lately that I haven't had much time to do it. Have you considered starting a sourceforge project here so that perhaps you can get some other people to join in? I certainly wouldn't mind looking it over in my spare time and helping out where I can. Just a thought!

and again, thanks for taking the initiative.

hey james... I just wanted to let you know: even though I don't have a use for the driver you are working on, I absolutely appreciate your effort and tenacity. I'll be the first in line to buy you a pint whenever you finish. Keep up the awesome work!

hey james... I just wanted to let you know: even though I don't have a use for the driver you are working on, I absolutely appreciate your effort and tenacity. I'll be the first in line to buy you a pint whenever you finish. Keep up the awesome work!

Second in line. Read the thread ;)

Second in line. Read the thread ;)

lol sorry to disappoint you guys, but i don't drink... Donations would be gladly welcomed though...

you can paypal me at [my_handle_here@cox.net] <- replace "my_handle_here" with james2mart (i did that to avoid bots scanning my email...)

so how is the driver coming along? i poked around on the apple dev site, and read the manual about making audio drivers, but i don't have any time to try my hand at making one (as i leave for college in a week). i greatly appreciate what you're doing, as sound support is the only thing i really need (besides a working wi-fi connection, but i'd honestly rather have sound first :huh:)

The way I understand it, Fink's meant more for applications, and it probably isn't close enough to the kernel to handle a driver. Still, I'm not that experienced with it either, so it's an idea.

I was talking to a friend who has been using linux for a while. I mentioned to him how we need to get a working sound driver. He said that there is some linux software called Alsa, that he thinks would work for sound, if we ran it through fink first. I'm going to try and get him to through it with me on my 9400.

Alsa consists of both userland tools and kernel mode drivers. Now, according to what I have read about Fink, it is a port of GNU utilities, and other utilities commonly used in GNU/Linux systems (it uses the Debian package management system to handle dependencies, and the port is handled by a recompilation of the source). So, fink could definitely not be used to port kernel mode drivers, since the drivers are not written like usermode programs (they are designed specifically for the operating system that they are written). A lot of the code from the linux driver can be used in the mac os x driver, or at least the process used to interact with the hardware can be used to implement the mac os x driver.

I know that the 9200 sigmatel works in freebsd and that is part of the osx kernel. could we right the sound drivers in there into the osx kernel? just a thought.

MacOS X is not exactly FreeBSD. It uses the *BSD userland tools, but the kernel is actually a Mach kernel (a type of microkernel) that is derived from the one of the BSD kernels. There is a pretty significant difference in the way FreeBSD drivers are written and the way MacOS X drivers are written. However, you could port a FreeBSD driver just as you could port a Linux driver-- keeping the same algorithms while modifying the interface/code so that it works with the Mac OS X kernel.

you would port a driver the same way you would port anything else: changing large (or small) portions of code to make the program/driver work on a new system. THere isn't really an automated way to do this. Now, from what I've read, Mac OS X drivers are written in C++, so that could change the way the drivers would have to be ported (most drivers for most operating systems are written in C).