What is the EFI partition for?

10 posts in this topic

I've read the guides for how to install Windows Vista and they say to remove the EFI partition. But I can't hope thinking that it's there for some reason.

Does anyone know what Apple actually puts in that 200mb EFI partition?

I believe that Apple creates the EFI partition to comply with the EFI specification, however Apple does not use it (yet?) and that the partition is empty.

It's there to run Boot Camp.

Really? Do you have a link, some reference or can you explain why?

I believe that Apple creates the EFI partition to comply with the EFI specification, however Apple does not use it (yet?) and that the partition is empty.

Really? Do you have a link, some reference or can you explain why?

No, I don't have a link. It was just a wild guess.

That is an interesting point. The EFI partition really is useless. Maybe it will be used in Leopard's version of Boot Camp.

It's there to run Boot Camp.

by run boot camp do you mean it is necessary to "run" the system or to just use the utility.

Because that partition has been there since the release of the intel macs, seems like apple would have some use for it.

If this was a standard x86 PC, why would he have an Apple EFI partition in the first place?

If you opt to format the drive for GUID, Disk Utility automatically installs the 200 MB partition. This is the default on newer OS X Install Discs (even ones people waste their time hacking).