ATI Mobility Radeon 4650 Full Res [No QE/CI]

SilentViper

87 posts in this topic

My Mobility 4650 works fine now. all resolutions available

with dong's driver http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=190586 use the December 18th update

Move ATIRadeonX2000.kext to an non-functional spot

such as:

sudo mv /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX2000.kext /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX2000.back

then reboot with -x

boot in and run

sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/RadeonHD.kext/Contents/Info.plist

and change

<key>enableHWCursor</key>

<true/>

to

<false/>

will post screenshot in a minute

screenshot.jpg

EDIT: 10.6.2 Does Work but you need to boot in 32 bit with

-x32

do NOT inject GraphicsEnabler=Yes you will end up in Vesa Graphics Mode

dude, this is awesome. I was beginning to lose hope. And it's not old news as I have not seen a single post from anyone regarding this.

What's left now is the QE/CI part. I think it will be easier for this card because the 4600 series is used on the new imacs and i am sure drivers will be released soon.

Have you tried to use snow leopard with these kexts?

Guys, I have a Toshiba A505-S6965, and using your advice I got 1366x768 resolution finally. The resolution is perfect and shows up both in System Profiler and System Preferences as 1366x768, 32 bit. The cursor is, for want of a better word, messed up (not an arrow but a many-colored square which looks like a screenshot in miniature), but usable. Thank you for the detailed explanation. I add the details of what I did:

1. Use OSX86 Tools to install both the ATIRadeonX2000.kext and Dong's RadeonHD.kext from 12/18.

2. Reboot: you get a white screen

3. Reboot again using "Graphics Mode"="640x480x16": OSX says you have to restart (gives screen with only option to power down.

4. Reboot again using "Graphics Mode"="1366x768x32": you get a white screen.

NOW, follow SilentViper's instructions to the letter, viz.:

5. Move ATIRadeonX2000.kext to a non-functional spot (see his post above).

6. Reboot with -x (this is Safe Mode, in case anybody doesn't know)

7. Use any plist editor (Try Plist Edit Pro, google it) to edit /System/Library/Extensions/RadeonHD.kext/Contents/info.plist

8. VERIFY that the change took, by opening it after you make the change (sometimes change will not be allowed, depending on what editor you use and what your permissions are.)

9. Reboot, open System Preferences > Displays, and choose 1366x768, if it is not already chosen.

10. NOTE (IMPORTANT!!): Although you CAN choose other resolutions, at least one of them (1024x768) leads to a black screen and having to repeat the entire above process, so leave well-enough alone!

Ned Barth

I should add before step 5 in my previous post that you get to step 5 by booting with -x (Safe Mode)...

you can edit your previous post, it says edit in the bottom right corner

and the block of color you have as a cursor is what i had on my system till i disabled Hardware Cursor by changing the

<true/>

to

<false/>

but if you did that before you rebooted with the kext try turning it back to true and see if that fixes it.

Hi Silent Viper,

so this works for snow leopard too. great. how about QE/CI. did you try to combine the netkas drivers and the dong framebuffer?

excellent work!

no i did not try that because (i could be wrong) those drivers require injecting the GraphicsEnabler=yes option which appears to either bypass, circumvent, or disable RadeonHD.kext i'll see if i can't give it a try, kinda busy but i'll try to squeeze it in.

SilentViper, is there any difference regarding laptop's fan noise and gpu temperature between the default VESA ( with 1024x768 ) which makes my laptop warm and loud AND the solution you have provided above? Please reply.

my fan runs in VESA or not and runs hot vesa or not.

if anyone else has a different experience SPEAK UP!

Hi there,

i am still a big noob on this field so i would appreciate it if someone could explain these things to me:

1. do you putt this: sudo mv /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX2000.kext /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX2000.back in terminal?

2. this in terminal to? or in x11? sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/RadeonHD.kext/Contents/Info.plist

3. where do you change this? <key>enableHWCursor</key>

<true/>

4. what does this mean? do NOT inject GraphicsEnabler=Yes you will end up in Vesa Graphics Mode

5. i have 10.6.2 do i need to boot with -x32 from now on?

thnx for explainin !

Regards :)

my fan runs in VESA or not and runs hot vesa or not.

if anyone else has a different experience SPEAK UP!

Sorry, I don't quite understand any bit of what you're saying.

Do you mean that the fan runs all the time even after the modification you have provided above?

SV: thank you for your reminder about the Edit button.

I have tried both switches: true/ and false/ in the HWCursor field. Neither gives me a normal Mac cursor pointer. Since I have a somewhat unclear idea of why you need to install both ATIRadeonX2000.kext AND RadeonHD.kext, and boot at least once before making ATIRadeonX2000.kext, as you say, "non-functional", I assume that what is now happening is that somehow OSX is not being made aware of the change with the HWCursor field. Could you look over your original instructions and my interpretation of them and possibly suggest something I could try? Did I miss a reboot somewhere, or do one at an inopportune time? Thanks for your reply.

BTW, still have 1366x768x32 resolution, only (small) problem is weird cursor, but even that can be lived with. Of course I would like to have QE/CI if only to be able to play DVD's, but I can live with it because I'm only using the Hackintosh for development work now.

SV: thank you for your reminder about the Edit button.

I have tried both switches: true/ and false/ in the HWCursor field. Neither gives me a normal Mac cursor pointer. Since I have a somewhat unclear idea of why you need to install both ATIRadeonX2000.kext AND RadeonHD.kext, and boot at least once before making ATIRadeonX2000.kext, as you say, "non-functional", I assume that what is now happening is that somehow OSX is not being made aware of the change with the HWCursor field. Could you look over your original instructions and my interpretation of them and possibly suggest something I could try? Did I miss a reboot somewhere, or do one at an inopportune time? Thanks for your reply.

BTW, still have 1366x768x32 resolution, only (small) problem is weird cursor, but even that can be lived with. Of course I would like to have QE/CI if only to be able to play DVD's, but I can live with it because I'm only using the Hackintosh for development work now.

First, I don't know where you got an atiradeonx2000.kext to install with the radeonhd.kext

Judging by how often you rebooted, I realised I should've had you boot with

-f

when your bootloader asks (u should do this After all kext modifications). That will flush your kext cache and force it to reload/relook at all kexts and susequent changes.

no this topic didn't die, there just wasn't anything new for me to report so i left it open to others to pitch in. as you can tell that went horribly.

i do have a hypothesis why we haven't been able to get QE CI on these cards. With any other graphics cards in Snow Leopard you need to use GraphicsEnabler to get the card to be recognized. When you Inject graphics Enabler on these cards it overrides RadeonHD.kext and starts using all the other APPLE kexts, thus resulting in the garbled screen again. This could be because Apple kexts have priority in general or This hides the ESID from the RadeonHD.kext and just allows the Apple kexts to work their torture. THEORETICALLY if you could get RadeonHD to work with GraphicsEnabler Injected you will be heading in the right direction to having a fully supported card.