The "Explain your nickname" thread

Swad

266 posts in this topic

A little history...

In high school we did a production of the play M*A*S*H* and I was the character "Ugly." Mashugly was the full handle until a few months ago, when I decided that since so many people just call me "Mash", I'd just drop the ugly part off.

How about yours?

My nickname predates the Internet and even the PC as we know it now. When I was 8 (I'm 36 now) I had a huge fascination with technology and my family began calling me Technobob. When I started using the Internet 10 years ago I thought the name just fit and have been using it since.

back in highschool, one of my teachers brought in a "baby name" type book and we all passed it around to find the meaning and/or history of our names. 'Scott' was stated as comming from the ancient irish word Scothiam which was used to describe the Scotish, being tattooed. Wouldn't you know it, I was (and am) both tattooed and partialy scotish. I haven't been able to find another description of the name Scott like that one however :)

I have always been fond of Fritz Lang's film "Metropolis" and used to have a large poster of the false Maria on my wall. It provided inspiration for the nick I used to go by on IRC when I played Trivbot a lot. I used to win a fair bit, and it was sort of amusing to advertise the fact that the losers had been beaten by a girl, so Metrogirl came about. I've used the nick for a long time now on different boards and channels. Although I don't mix real life with my online persona much, some of my friends who are 'in the know' actually call me Metrogirl or Metro for short.

I really don't know why I use this nickname sometimes. :) I sort of randomly picked it years ago when I was playing some MMORPG called Asheron's Call, so now I use it on a few forums. No real deep meaning for me.

I usually go by aSTeRiX, which I made when I was trying to spell asterisk. It turns out it is also the name of a french cartoon character. The name I'm using now came from two things. I love AMD, and I've used the name prophet in the past. So therefore, amdprophet.

I didn't want to use my w@rez nick and seems appropriate to choose a nick that stands for something on this board. I it because if all the security features Apple put on OS X which fell like "dominoes".

my dad bought me cybrian.com in 2000 or so (i actually was 9 in 2000 but i was still very technoligically oriented) and i ended up starting a business out of it lol

I didn't want to use my w@rez nick and seems appropriate to choose a nick that stands for something on this board. I it because if all the security features Apple put on OS X which fell like "dominoes".

what's your "w@rez" nick? :)

Well my nickname's History is quite sad i think. when i was 5 i got a toy bunny that i called Kiko, and i was infatuated with it. Now the name has just stuck. Also my other forum name: Captain Crutch is a bit of a joke. I was trying to register ona forum quickly so i could get a file and all the usernames had been taken up so i just chose the most obscene one i could think of and it was free.

Don Luca came obviously from the "Mafia" language.

I and my 3 friends call ourselves a "family" because we see each other more or less everyday and share everything we think and do favours each other... Of course, I'm the "Father" :D

To tell the truth, it all started from a photo... if i find it i'll post so it'll be more clear.

BTW, Luca is my name and I'm a male, because Luca in Italy is a male name...

Tomnic, the three initials of my surname and name... doesn't it sound nice??? :D

Originally I was Nictom, but it sounded odd... so I became tomnic and i like it a lot, don't you?

munky == monkey, but spelt the way i like it. i dunno, i like the sound of the word... munky... munngggkeyy.

MUNGkey

it also links with 'mung' which means wrong or bad or messed up (eg "its all gone mung!"), which, by extension, is linked to mungler (and hence mungler.com my personal web{censored}e).

i used to have a unique nick back in the days of pub sites and usenet posts, i.e. when i had too much free time, but then one day i realized you could get my life story between various mailing list / forum posts and googling that nick. didn't like being so searchable...

Well, Ill try to explain it as best I can.

I grew up in a highly religious family, we went to church like 3 days a week. I spent alot of time worshipping god. We always went to the same church, The Chapel of St. Ricardo. When I first had to come up with an alias online, I couldnt think of anything, but then my parents wanted me to goto the chapel with them. I guess it just kinda hit a chord and stuck.

I dont know if you believe that or not, but really chapel is my last name, and Im an ex-jock, as you know jocks get called by their last names alot. So after being called chapel ever since junior high, it just stuck. I really like my name. Sorry to anyone that actually believed the above.

Perhaps my name doesn't need any further explanation. If you don't know Cupertino, you need to seriously read up on Apple Computer. Cupertino is the most amazing place... for anyone who has never seen the Apple campus in Silicon Valley... well worth a ROAD TRIP!!!

IMG_0299.jpg

Perhaps my name doesn't need any further explanation. If you don't know Cupertino, you need to seriously read up on Apple Computer. Cupertino is the most amazing place... for anyone who has never seen the Apple campus in Silicon Valley... well worth a ROAD TRIP!!!

IMG_0299.jpg

You must be the luckiest guy on Earth. I can't wait until I can go there.

Unstable Connection is a name of one of my favourite wallpapers. Also I tend to drop stuff a lot, u know kinda Unstable :)