GeForce 8500 GT 512 MB Owners

Hacked Steve Jobs

29 posts in this topic

My GPU is PCI 16 Express GIGABYTE GeForce 8500 GT 512 MB GDDR2 (GV-NX85T512HP) The TurboForce Edition

I selected NVinject-512 while installing Kalyway's 10.5.2

Monitor: Gateway 21" VX1120 (CRT/VGA)

The problem is that i can not change the screen resolution!

Mac System Profiler:

Unknown nVidia:

Chipset Model: Unknown nVidia

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0421

Revision ID: 0x00a1

ROM Revision: NVinject 0.2.1

Displays:

Display Connector:

VGA Display:

Resolution: 800 x 600 @ 60 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Rotation: Supported

Now, Does anyone knows what should i do to change the resolution to 1024by768?

What happens is that the systray display has only 600 and the 800 but no 1024 and when i change to 1024 anyway from the settings panel i get a sky blue screen and when never i hit ESC or any key i get an audible feedback that sounds like an error then i force shut down the PC and boot again to the 800 screen.

h4t.png

8g.png

Please if anyone has the same card or knows how to change the screen resolution i will appreciate it.

Thank you, bye

post-240449-1213105100_thumb.jpg

Just use device strings so the normal nvidia driver can use it.

- Open EFI STUDIO

- Select Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT

- Click on add device

- Change 8600 to 8500 twice

- Click on write to com.apple.Boot.plist

- Give your credentials and click on ok

- Click on ok

- remove nvinject/nvkush

- sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

- sudo kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

- copy "/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist" so next time you only have to replace it

- reboot

Hi Sword,

A quick question - I am running 10.5.3 (Kaly) and the system works with no injectors at 1024x768. My card is a XFX 8600GT DDR2 (512M) device id: 0x0401. If I use the EFI tool, I don't need to update device id's or NVCAP's? Does an injector (NVinject or KNkush) need to be used with EFI?

I've tried all of the other solutions, adding dev id's to 4x info.plist's, punk92 3 beta and v 2, scottdangel's installer's (.41, .51, .52). Best I could get so far was VRAM of 512 detected (using NVinject) and removal of all Geforce/N* kext's. Other than that I only got a boot then to black screen (my card is single DVI out).

If you have a minute, would appreciate your input to the following general questions...

1) What is needed to be modified to get any 8xxx Nvidia card's working in 10.5.3?

2) Does NKush, KNinject need to be used at all?

2) Do device id's need to be added - if yes, where and how?

3) NVCAP's - do they need to be modified to be card specific for single display (DVI) setups?

Appreciate your advice on the above. If/when I can get my card working, I intend to write a complete guide and post it for everyone.

Thanks,

Thank you all for the replies. I think i will try both methods.

@ Donw35: I downloaded NVkush after your post. Now while installing should i leave the NVIDIA drivers unselected or select NVinject and install NVkush after booting to the OS?

@ sWORDs: I downloaded EFI STUDIO. Note that when i am on Mac i do not have net connection so i had to get all the information right before installation. Now, I got what you said except for

- remove nvinject/nvkush

Do i do this stuff from within the front-end as well or are they terminal commands? I am sorry it is just that it was the first time ever i use a Mac this week!

Thank you very much. I had a good feeling about it this time.

Alright, I did something different this time while installing i did not choose any gfx option and left it deselected.

What happened that this time after installation and os boot the sreen resolution was 1024 by default however unlike when i select nvinject at install my gpu went unrecognized for anything that it is wrong vram for instance and no qe ect...

So i tried both of the methods here and ended up with the same result.

1: my gpu get recognized and supported.

2: the screen resolution defaults back to 800 and i can not change it back to 1024.

I do not know why that is. Can't i have it both (1024 resolution and the right gpu info!)

Anyway thank you both for the help, I do not know what else to do to make such of simple thing works.

By the way Donw35, You said you have the exact same gpu, Can you attach a file for me. Your file, So that i put it somewhere on the Mac system and my gpu gets supported without doing the hardwork again?

Have a nice day all.

Thank You Donw35!

My card works fine now, except system profiler see only 256 MB RAM (I have 1 GB). Is there any way to fix this?

Off topic:

In system profiler I don't see my PCI slots, weird?

THANKS AGAIN!!!!

I have that exact card, but I can't even get it to boot. I just get a kernel panic. If I boot in safe mode then I get an endless loop saying loginwindow.app can't load. I read on a forum that I need to put in my PCI Address into the geforce.kext extension and some various other ones, but the problem I have is I don't know where to get it from in the Windows XP Device Manager. Anyone know where it says it?

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Sword,

A quick question - I am running 10.5.3 (Kaly) and the system works with no injectors at 1024x768. My card is a XFX 8600GT DDR2 (512M) device id: 0x0401. If I use the EFI tool, I don't need to update device id's or NVCAP's? Does an injector (NVinject or KNkush) need to be used with EFI?

I've tried all of the other solutions, adding dev id's to 4x info.plist's, punk92 3 beta and v 2, scottdangel's installer's (.41, .51, .52). Best I could get so far was VRAM of 512 detected (using NVinject) and removal of all Geforce/N* kext's. Other than that I only got a boot then to black screen (my card is single DVI out).

If you have a minute, would appreciate your input to the following general questions...

1) What is needed to be modified to get any 8xxx Nvidia card's working in 10.5.3?

2) Does NKush, KNinject need to be used at all?

2) Do device id's need to be added - if yes, where and how?

3) NVCAP's - do they need to be modified to be card specific for single display (DVI) setups?

Appreciate your advice on the above. If/when I can get my card working, I intend to write a complete guide and post it for everyone.

Thanks,

1) The Card need to be identified correctly, which can be done with NVinstaller 5 or nVkush or EFI devicestring

2) Not when using EFI device string

2b) Device id will be detected, no need to modify, the device path should be correct, but EFI studio does it for you

3) You will have to modify for some cards, but the current NVCAP is DVI(i) DVI(i) which should work for DVI and VGA on most boards.

I've updated EFI studio with 126 Geforce cards (all Geforce 6/7/8 single gpu cards I know) , please try this version:

http://www.mediafire.com/?xl19omzld9j

Check this for some extra info on the values:

http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,222.0.html

Thank you all for the replies. I think i will try both methods.

@ Donw35: I downloaded NVkush after your post. Now while installing should i leave the NVIDIA drivers unselected or select NVinject and install NVkush after booting to the OS?

@ sWORDs: I downloaded EFI STUDIO. Note that when i am on Mac i do not have net connection so i had to get all the information right before installation. Now, I got what you said except for

- remove nvinject/nvkush

Do i do this stuff from within the front-end as well or are they terminal commands? I am sorry it is just that it was the first time ever i use a Mac this week!

Thank you very much. I had a good feeling about it this time.

You can use kexthelper for the last two commands (enter password->advanced->tag cache rebuild) and you can do the first by browsing to the file(s) (system->library->extensions).

I used this process

- Installed NVkush from http://diabolik1605.com/DHF/

- Removed NVinject.kext from extensions folder.

- Rebooted and typed -f -v

- QE and CI came back.

Using device strings everything will still work after update, faster boot time, more mac like.

• 1 month later...

I have running MacOsX 10.5.4 and I can't change resolution...

I used EFIStudio to generate EFIString fro the nVidia 8500 GT 512...

I installed Os from retail DVD...

Mother: DG33BU

Processor: core 2 duo 4500

Memory: 2 Gb

Graphics: Geforce 8500 GT

I have a Dell GX-280 with a P4 3.2Ghz HT, Intel 915 Chipset.

I was able to get CI/GL on the onboard Intel 915 Graphics but was getting artifacts so i bought a GeForce 8500 GT 512mb PCIe x16. my question is this:

When i run xbench with the Intel 915 OnBoard Graphics i get pretty high numbers:

Quartz Graphics Test: 180

OpenGL Graphics Tes: 230

but when i run it using the GeForce 8500 GT:

Quartz Graphics Test: 105

OpenGL Graphics Tes: 99

both of the cards showed the CI=Hardware Accelarated and GL supported.

Why am i getting better numbers with onboard then with this Much Better GeForce card? Am i missing some kext or something?

Thanks guys. :-)

• 2 weeks later...

@cggc,

I have the same configuration.

I installed NVInstaller v.52 and was able to get qe/ci support and dual monitor without any problem. :)

I have running MacOsX 10.5.4 and I can't change resolution...

I used EFIStudio to generate EFIString fro the nVidia 8500 GT 512...

I installed Os from retail DVD...

Mother: DG33BU

Processor: core 2 duo 4500

Memory: 2 Gb

Graphics: Geforce 8500 GT

• 2 weeks later...

I have an 8500GT 512mb card that is driving me nuts... I have a few Hakintosh's running ECS 945 Mobo's that work pretty we, except they run the GMA950 and have mouse artifact issue's

I added a Nvid 8500 GT 512 MB and it will not boot correctly, first boot always hangs at Blue screen, (not blue screen of death just Blue screen between the Apple icon and the desktop picture.. the mouse does not show up. If I kill the power from the PSU and restart it will now come up...

Graphics are not an issue they run at 1900x 1200 perfectly but the rebooting is killing me..

I have tried NVkush, & the http://www.mediafire.com/?xl19omzld9j latest EFi with the 8500GT... no luck... I am still running 10.5.2...

Any idea's help i would be stoked for some feedback.. I have had similar issues with a 7600GS that is why I bought the 8500 GT

Please let the MAC gods help me today... I am loosing my hair...

• 1 month later...
Hi

I have 8500 GT 256MB on 10.5.4 but I have the same problem with resolution change. When I try to change it I get blue screen. I've already tried NVkush, NVinstaller, EFI Sudio, XDarwin etc. Nothing works ;)

Anyone has new ideas? ;)

I had a similar issue with my 8500 GT using EFI strings. I ended up having to switch from the VGA port, to the DVI port (With a DVI to VGA adapter). It would only let me change resolutions if I was on the DVI port

• 3 weeks later...
Just use device strings so the normal nvidia driver can use it.

- Open EFI STUDIO

- Select Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT

- Click on add device

- Change 8600 to 8500 twice

- Click on write to com.apple.Boot.plist

- Give your credentials and click on ok

- Click on ok

- remove nvinject/nvkush

- copy "/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist" so next time you only have to replace it

- reboot

Dude, that worked perfectly for me!!! I have Full QC/CI.

Everything works absolutely flawlessly!!

The only step I didn't do was the copy the .plist file. Any issues if I didn't do that?

Thanks for everything man!! I got a fully supported car for under 40 dollars and it works great!!! Perfect for viewing my Divx movies :)

The only step I didn't do was the copy the .plist file. Any issues if I didn't do that?

No, it's just a precaution in case anything went wrong.

I managed to get my 8500 card recognized with QE/CI enabled, but still can't get the correct screen resolution. I have a 19 inch display which needs to be set to 1280 x 1024. In System Preferences, the field for refresh rate is grayed out and shows "n/a", so I suspect this is part of the problem. Any help would be very much appreciated, this is the last thing I need to get working on my very successful OSX install.

• 2 months later...

I tried both methods described here.

The one on top and NVInstaller

both took the same effekt. Same as all the other things I tried.

As long as I don't do anything, the retail installation boots with -x.

As soon as I do anything, the 2 things above or NVKush etc, it boots normaly but when the Scrren gets dark and the Desktop normaly comes up, the Screen stays dark :wallbash:

I don't know what I can do anymore, I think I tried everything.

I have exactly the card in the topic (Club3D 8500GT passiv, 512MB, NVIDIA Geforce 8500GT, PCI-Express), in a Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L, Intel P45 .

Instalation is retail, updatet to 10.5.5 or .6, same problem with both :P

I tried both methods described here.

The one on top and NVInstaller

both took the same effekt. Same as all the other things I tried.

Hey Dieter,

I have the 8500 GT 512... Like others I have it set as an 8600 GT and it works fine Currently i am using the installer from PCWIZ to load everything and it works fine..

You may want to check out weaksause12's guide (listed under Vanilla soup or something) it fixed all my issues. I have also read of others having issues with 512MB cards lately. I am running 10.5.5 with no issues touch wood... Nothing has been touched in a month and this system is my primary email and photoshop machine...

Adam

This works, and I have Geforce 8400 GS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nVidia GeForce 8400 GS:

Chipset Model: nVidia GeForce 8400 GS

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x06e4

Revision ID: 0x00a1

ROM Revision: nVidia GeForce 8400 GS OpenGL Engine [EFI]

Displays:

Display Connector: