i7 Hackintosh Review and Guide - With Pics!

105 posts in this topic

Hi folks

I restored the pictures!

The money I got for the hack was equal to the price I payed for the parts.

I sold the computer because I had a 2006 Mac Pro that I was gonna keep using instead.

However now Mac is starting to fall apart so, I will buy the 2010 Mac Pro releasing soon.

another reason for keeping Mac was because I want to continue developing a GPU Flashing Tool for OSX. you can read about that and my other projects at my blog,

http://groths.org

thanks.

Cindori, we have never met nor spoke yet you have been the biggest help in my Hackintosh endeavor. Thankyou for sharing your knowledge.

I like this build too. Would the GA-X58A-UD5 wirk with this guide? I believe it's the same board, just with an upgraded x16 slot and no ugly orange with the blue/white color theme. :)

Have you fixed the sleep/wake/shut down kernal panic problem yet? I never sleep my PC, is this something Macs do automatically when not in use or just a feature ppl like to have?

Oh, and what about motherboard drivers? It's important to get the mobo working on a normal PC, but is this something the Mac automatically figures out?

I'd also like to know if this motherboard would be compatible this this exact same setup

PLUS

Would the i7 930 work? I assume so... can anyone confirm this?

So i a nutshell... would an i7 930 (2.8Ghz), a GA-X58A-UD5 and the components outlined in this guide work?

Hi, I'm glad you like my guide :-)

Yes that is my RAM.

For ram timings I used the automatic Profile that comes with the Dominator sticks. Sets everything for you.

For overclocking, here is the guide I used:

http://images.tweaktown.com/imagebank/Core...12.12_(ENG).pdf

Print it out and everything will be easy. However you will probably lower some things like Voltages because many CPU's can run lower then what the guide tells you. And it will help lower temps. Basically follow the guide, crank fans to top, check if nothing crasches during some stress tests, then lower voltage a little, repeat. then when you find a good voltage, set fans to automatic again. Monitor temps and if the fans cant keep you cool, you have 2 choices, downclock or get more fans ;)

Thank you Cindori and all the others who have contributed to this post. It has been very helpful. The information provided has helped me to narrow down the parts I will be purchasing as well as clearing up somethings I was a little fuzzy on.

Ok I'm up and running. Followed this guide to the T. Once I get some time I explain a few quirks I found along the way. However I have two issues (with workarounds)

My rig:

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWi...Number=17739207

Monitor:

Acer x193w (upgrading to dual Acer X203H http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...82E16824009158)

Some outstanding issues:

Network:

1) Using the option "Using DHCP" does not work (i.e. Auto-detect IP). The status of the Ethernet connection is yellow. I did however connect my MBPro to the same internet connection to get the config. I then changed the configuration in my Hack to 'Manually' and entered the same information. The internet works with this setup. Not to happy about that as I would have to do this every time I reboot.

2) I connected to a file share (AFP) and it works. I transferred a large file (7GB) and tried to surf the internet at the same time. The internet pretty much stalls. I've never had this problem before with my MBPro. Not sure why this occurs but very strange that it doesn't allow bandwidth between both an internal router transfer and outside to the internet. Leads me to believe its a network driver problem.

Video:

1) I have a Radeon 4890 (see newegg list above) and am getting choppy / freezing mouse problems. I did some searches on this and noticed someone else had some issues as well…even on the official Apple Mac Pro with certain monitors (albeit they use a 4870). I am currently using an Acer x193w and upgrading to Acer X203H. I'm hoping the new monitor will help, otherwise I may have to dig around a bit more or alternatively replace the vid card with a 9800 GTX+ (this seems to be a very popularly supported card)

Questions:

Any insight to the network problems? Here is a screenshot of what I have for kexts:

http://i.imgur.com/8HAfY.png

A little update. Turns out the internet was an issue with our network here. Very strange behavior as my MB Pro was not affected in the same way. Anyhow, the two network issues are no longer a problem.

Will update on the video card once I get the new monitors.

btw - thanks Cindori :-) great build!

Hello, first of all, congratulation for you great config!

Im going to make similar configuration inpsired by you.

I saw on Gigabyte site that they realised X58A-UD5 with USB3 / SATA3.

Price is similar to previous X58-UD5.

I would like to know your opinion if this buy can be risky about snow leopard compatibility.

I know in advance about apple politics about lastest hardware is kinda slow, so i would like to know if maybe could be safer to pick X58-UD5.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Guys!

First of all: Thanks a lot for this great tutorial. I am just about to buy the parts to build the same hac pro.

I just want to change two things: I would like to go for an i7 960. Even more, i would like to go for an i7 980X. Will it be compatible? if not, I will take the 960.

Also, i would definitly like to go for 12 GB RAM. Will 2 Ghz work without problems or will I have to use the 1333 Mhz?

Thanks a lot!!!

As it seems, the thread ist more or less dead. Nevertheless, I went for it. I am awaiting:

Intel i7 960

Gigabyte EX58 UD5

Radeon HD 4890

12 GB RAM @ 1600 Mhz

Lian Li B25FB

and a lot of stuff.

Yihaa, going to build my first 2000€-Hack. :-)

I will tell you, if I encounter any problems... ;-)

As it seems, the thread ist more or less dead. Nevertheless, I went for it. I am awaiting:

Intel i7 960

Gigabyte EX58 UD5

Radeon HD 4890

12 GB RAM @ 1600 Mhz

Lian Li B25FB

and a lot of stuff.

Yihaa, going to build my first 2000€-Hack. :-)

I will tell you, if I encounter any problems... ;-)

Well, you beat me to it! I am going to build a very similar box within a month for video work so we should keep in touch. Here is my idea so far:

Case: Lian Li B25F

MB: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5

PS: ABS DARK BERET 850W

CPU: i7-960

HD RAID 10: Hitachi Deskstar 2TB 7K2000 (x 6)

Optical: Pioneer BDR-205 Blu-Ray Writer

RAM: G.SKILL Trident 6GB DDR3 2000 (x2)

Display: Gigabyte Radeon HD 4890 1GB

Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series CWCH50-1 Water Cooler

The largest unknown is that RAID 10 config. It should just work - we'll see. This thing is going to scream!

Anyone have any advice?

Mike

Hey guys, does this method work for the GA-X58A-UD5? Because i'll scrubbed through this thread and tried all kinds of things and I appologise if someone has already coved how to fix these things but... i need help.

Ok... Here's my build;

-Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5

-Intel i7-960 Core i7 CPU, Quad Core 3.20 GHz

-Corsair CMX6GX3M3C1600C7 6GB DDR3

-Samsung 500GB Spinpoint F3 7200rpm HDD

-eVGA GeForce 9800GTX

(and for anyone who cares)

-Gigabyte POSEIDON-310

-Zalman CNPS9500 AT

-800W ODIN GT Power Supply

My problem is that after I follow the full PC EFI method I a) have no sound even though I am using LegacyHDA.kext, B) It will not support my eVGA 9800 GTX+, thank goodness it will support my old graphics card though) and c) my computer is an insomniac; it can't sleep.

I've tried installing verious kexts, but they don't appear to be doing anything?

What kexts would you recomend I try?

-TheAgapist

Okay, after installation, i did not find any way to update to 10.6.3. I runs like a charm on 10.6.2, after update to 10.6.3, graphics are broken and so long, I found no way to get it to run again.

I have display, but just one resolution (1024x768). The QE_CI_exotic patch 10.6.2 does not work any more, when I use the QE-CI Exotic Patch 10.6.3, graphics are completely broken on reboot. Additionaly, there seems to be a kernel panic in background, as there ist no way to work withe the OS, it does not react at all.

Any ideas?

Hey guys, does this method work for the GA-X58A-UD5? Because i'll scrubbed through this thread and tried all kinds of things and I appologise if someone has already coved how to fix these things but... i need help.

Ok... Here's my build;

-Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5

-Intel i7-960 Core i7 CPU, Quad Core 3.20 GHz

-Corsair CMX6GX3M3C1600C7 6GB DDR3

-Samsung 500GB Spinpoint F3 7200rpm HDD

-eVGA GeForce 9800GTX

(and for anyone who cares)

-Gigabyte POSEIDON-310

-Zalman CNPS9500 AT

-800W ODIN GT Power Supply

My problem is that after I follow the full PC EFI method I a) have no sound even though I am using LegacyHDA.kext, :) It will not support my eVGA 9800 GTX+, thank goodness it will support my old graphics card though) and c) my computer is an insomniac; it can't sleep.

I've tried installing verious kexts, but they don't appear to be doing anything?

What kexts would you recomend I try?

-TheAgapist

Should work fine. I have the same motherboard and have audio, the X58A-UD5 and UD7 boards have the AC889 audio chip not the 889a in the EX58 and needs a tweak to get it working. Have a read here (Audio 889)

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=196771

If you have updated to 10.6.3 and installed the Mac Pro Audio Update 1.0 you will need to replace the AppleHDA.kext with the previous version and use the linked version of LegacyHDA.

Install the 10.6.3. version of sleepenabler.kext

• 1 month later...

Ok,

after many many tries finally got Iatkos working on my machine, but boots only in safe boot (-x).

didnt worried about it so much since i just wanted a sys to install from and -x doesnt bother me with anything. if im starting in normal mode or (-s) mode, 10.5.7 will shows me a currupted screen.

I made all of what it says in this guide with succes to another HDs partition, it shows all the right things in the bootloader (Sys/Extra), in Sys Profiler my GPU is identifyed though it shows a max resolution of 1024x768, but if i try to boot in normal mode or (-s) it shows the same currupted screen.

i suppose theres a relation between these two errors but cant figure it.

any suggestions for what i should check/print in order get help here?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Guys. I am building my new Hackintosh (first one). Its looking like this:

MB: GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD5

GPU: MSI NVIDIA GTX 260

CPU: Core i7 930

I already bought the Graphics Card. It seems to be compatible. I hope I'm right....am I?

Will the mother board be compatible with the 10.6.3 update? And is there a way to install the OS and update to 10.6.3 directly or do I need to do 10.6.2 then 10.6.3?

Sorry, This is my first time. And I am getting a bit uneasy about the GTX 260 Graphics card being useless...please help

Hey Guys. I am building my new Hackintosh (first one). Its looking like this:

MB: GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD5

GPU: MSI NVIDIA GTX 260

CPU: Core i7 930

I already bought the Graphics Card. It seems to be compatible. I hope I'm right....am I?

Will the mother board be compatible with the 10.6.3 update? And is there a way to install the OS and update to 10.6.3 directly or do I need to do 10.6.2 then 10.6.3?

Sorry, This is my first time. And I am getting a bit uneasy about the GTX 260 Graphics card being useless...please help

• 2 weeks later...
What seems to be the most reliable and easiest mobo to install SL? Im debating now if I should splurge and get an i7 setup or start out with a simple core 2 duo for my first build.

Don't waste your time / money on building an LGA775 system at this point. Go for the i7! ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Is there any way to recall my os x back to 10.6.2 without starting from scratch?! I'm actually crying because I got my comp just the way I want it and turned off automatic updates but when I just restarted my computer... it installed it anyway!!! I must have turned auto back on somehow...

Please help me?

Can I reinstall 10.6.1 without re-imaging and then upgrade to 10.6.2? or

Can I recall it back to 10.6.2?

or can I change stuff so it runs 10.6.4?

Please help me!