Radeon HD 5750

lordofthedread

50 posts in this topic

I tried myself a readeon HD 5750 on 2 different hackintosh both based on the walktrough from netkas to get the computer working on 10.6.2.

The good news it it is working out of the box (no black screen)

The bad news is the native resolution of the screen if its bigger than 19' is not supported, also only one output is working (both DVI and HDMI are working but not at the same time)

Didnt tried the display port since i didnt had a screen supporting it.

I used the kexts EvoEnabler and the modified one for 4870HD in both cases the problems persists.

Without installing kexts the card is listed as unknown in "About this Mac", with the kexts it is listed as a 4870HD and the displays are not listed.

You also cant change the screen resolution.

I plan to make a new hackintosh soon with a core i7 and 2 x radeon 4850 to get 3 screens working with QE will let you know.

Here is the card i used :

EAH5750/2DIS/1GD5

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=V02caADLqsFHytAd

Were you limited to 1024x768 or did you achieve a higher resolution. I also have a 5750 in a UD7 mobo and was stuck in 1024x768 - trying to decide whether to buy a 4870/90 or wait for drivers...

I tried myself a readeon HD 5750 on 2 different hackintosh both based on the walktrough from netkas to get the computer working on 10.6.2.

The good news it it is working out of the box (no black screen)

The bad news is the native resolution of the screen if its bigger than 19' is not supported, also only one output is working (both DVI and HDMI are working but not at the same time)

Didnt tried the display port since i didnt had a screen supporting it.

I used the kexts EvoEnabler and the modified one for 4870HD in both cases the problems persists.

Without installing kexts the card is listed as unknown in "About this Mac", with the kexts it is listed as a 4870HD and the displays are not listed.

You also cant change the screen resolution.

I plan to make a new hackintosh soon with a core i7 and 2 x radeon 4850 to get 3 screens working with QE will let you know.

Here is the card i used :

EAH5750/2DIS/1GD5

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=V02caADLqsFHytAd

Well we all know that the 5xx0 cards still is't supported... So honest i cant see the meaning with your post...

Supported or not i made it working so it is good to let peapole know.

If you cant see the meaning of my post please dont answer......

Also i managed to get a 1280 x 1024 resolution on my 19 inches screen but i wasnt able to change it in "displays"

On my 23 inches screen the resolution was really weird and fixed also.

With some luck they will release drivers soon i suggest you keep your card for now ;)

I read about building a hackintosh a while back and recently tried it out, so I am pretty new to this. I always wanted a Mac but they are to overpriced, so I thought I would give it a try with some of the old parts I had laying around while I am in the process of building my new rig.

Asus P5W DH Deluxe

Patriot 2GB DDR2-800

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz

XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB

Seagate 120GB SATA HDD

PLEXTOR 24X SATA DVD Writer PX-880SA

Multi card reader

Cooler Master Cosmos

Kingwin 600w PSU

Sony 37" LCD TV

I used IPC 10.5.6 final

- did not choose any kernels as it will install vanilla by default

- the video drivers I choose the natit because of various ATI card compatibility

- the chipset drivers needed are ichx sata drivers

- the sound drivers needed are alc882 and under legacy drivers also choose alc882 address 0

- the ethernet drivers needed are the marvell yukon ones

- the wifi wdrivers needed are realtek rtl8187/l

- patched usb drivers

- appleSMBIOS ToH patch

The results were better than I expected - everything seemed to worked.

If I used either the HDMI or the DVI ports on the 5770 I had no sound via the coax digital out on the P5w. I believe this is because that the 5770 has built in sound. I have not had time to try anything else out, hopefully later this week I will have a chance to mess around with it.

I read about building a hackintosh a while back and recently tried it out, so I am pretty new to this. I always wanted a Mac but they are to overpriced, so I thought I would give it a try with some of the old parts I had laying around while I am in the process of building my new rig.

Asus P5W DH Deluxe

Patriot 2GB DDR2-800

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz

XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB

Seagate 120GB SATA HDD

PLEXTOR 24X SATA DVD Writer PX-880SA

Multi card reader

Cooler Master Cosmos

Kingwin 600w PSU

Sony 37" LCD TV

I used IPC 10.5.6 final

- did not choose any kernels as it will install vanilla by default

- the video drivers I choose the natit because of various ATI card compatibility

- the chipset drivers needed are ichx sata drivers

- the sound drivers needed are alc882 and under legacy drivers also choose alc882 address 0

- the ethernet drivers needed are the marvell yukon ones

- the wifi wdrivers needed are realtek rtl8187/l

- patched usb drivers

- appleSMBIOS ToH patch

The results were better than I expected - everything seemed to worked.

If I used either the HDMI or the DVI ports on the 5770 I had no sound via the coax digital out on the P5w. I believe this is because that the 5770 has built in sound. I have not had time to try anything else out, hopefully later this week I will have a chance to mess around with it.

Did your card works with QE enabled / dual display / higher resolution or even selectables ones ?

If it does i will try install IPC to try it out, if its working also we should find a way making 57xx series working on 10.6 using drivers included in IPC...

Did your card works with QE enabled / dual display / higher resolution or even selectables ones ?

If it does i will try install IPC to try it out, if its working also we should find a way making 57xx series working on 10.6 using drivers included in IPC...

Hello everyone. i have also a HD 5750 but its not working with qe on or higher resolution, i really want and need drivers or solution, and i hope that you can help us.

thnaks!

Hello everyone. i have also a HD 5750 but its not working with qe on or higher resolution, i really want and need drivers or solution, and i hope that you can help us.

thnaks!

If Apple will not use those cards or at least its architecture .. no one can help you. The only thing can be done is to wait.

We'll probably have to wait on QE for apple drivers but you can obtain higher resolutions by adding this to your com.apple.boot.plist file (in the /Extra folder):

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1280x1024x32</string>

I was only able to test the above resolution as I only had my 32" LCD TV available for testing - it may go higher but you're still stuck with a single resolution.

I still don't have sound working but I'm not sure if it is the 5750 or something else - I'm using a UD7 mobo (at 4.2Ghz so far - haven't tested higher yet :D )

thnaks!

Without Core Image and Quartz Extreme, I'm not sure I see the point in encouraging people.

A while back I bought an ATI 4770, reasoning that Apple were trying to cultivate a green image and therefore they would support this powerful budget card with its low energy profile. It didn't happen.

The 5770 falls into a similar no mans land of being too expensive to put in an entry level machine and not powerful enough to put in a top range machine. That said... the new and as yet unsupported 5850 isn't exactly a budget card, at this point, so who knows. Maybe Apple will support the 5770 but if you are about to purchase a graphics card it's not worth gambling on, at this point.

A quick look through the very long changelog of the alpha of 10.6.3 suggests - at this stage - no additional ATI support.

I would make a semi-educated guess that 10.6.4 might see support for the 5850 and 5870 but, equally, by then nvidia should have their new cards out and Apple might go that way, instead, albeit by then the 5850/5870 will be mature products at a presumably reduced cost on what we see at the moment. Not an easy one to call. Fruitless speculation! We'll see.

A quick look through the very long changelog of the alpha of 10.6.3 suggests - at this stage - no additional ATI support.

I would make a semi-educated guess that 10.6.4 might see support for the 5850 and 5870 but, equally, by then nvidia should have their new cards out and Apple might go that way, instead, albeit by then the 5850/5870 will be mature products at a presumably reduced cost on what we see at the moment. Not an easy one to call. Fruitless speculation! We'll see.

That might not mean all that much. The 10.6.2 changelog didn't mention anything other than "GraphicsDrivers" - as does the 10.6.3 changelog.

I guess there's a slim chance that Apple will release new Mac Pros at their event at the end of January when they're supposed to be announcing the Apple Tablet. If there is no 5xxx series support in 10.6.3 then we still may not have to wait for 10.6.4 - we'll just have to hope that new Mac Pros come out in the interim. The 2009 Mac Pro shipped with 10.5.6 but had special ATI drivers that weren't released to all machines until 10.5.7.

That might not mean all that much. The 10.6.2 changelog didn't mention anything other than "GraphicsDrivers" - as does the 10.6.3 changelog.

I guess there's a slim chance that Apple will release new Mac Pros at their event at the end of January when they're supposed to be announcing the Apple Tablet. If there is no 5xxx series support in 10.6.3 then we still may not have to wait for 10.6.4 - we'll just have to hope that new Mac Pros come out in the interim. The 2009 Mac Pro shipped with 10.5.6 but had special ATI drivers that weren't released to all machines until 10.5.7.

Indeed but going on those links alone, 10.6.2's changelog said 'graphics drivers', whereas 10.6.3's changelog suggests a graphics driver fix for existing drivers - 'GraphicsDrivers - Resolves to panic in GraphicsDrivers'. I know some people are having problems with the 64bit version of the GMA X3100 that came in 10.6.2. Anyway, point being both descriptions are fantastically vague, at this point. If there are any developers out there who would care to drop unofficial hints...!

Indeed but going on those links alone, 10.6.2's changelog said 'graphics drivers', whereas 10.6.3's changelog suggests a graphics driver fix for existing drivers - 'GraphicsDrivers - Resolves to panic in GraphicsDrivers'. I know some people are having problems with the 64bit version of the GMA X3100 that came in 10.6.2. Anyway, point being both descriptions are fantastically vague, at this point. If there are any developers out there who would care to drop unofficial hints...!

They're both formatted quite differently. if you scroll down on 10.6.2's changelog it also says under Areas of Change:

" GraphicsDrivers: Quartz Composer was crashing opening simultaneous compositions simultaneously on some video cards

GraphicsDrivers: DVD Player was hanging sometimes"

No mention of added card support anywhere. I'm guessing that 10.6.3 doesn't have 5xxx series support though otherwise we would probably have heard about it by now. :(

A raft of new intel processors have come out, too. Early days on that one but I wonder if Apple are a little distracted by their apparently forthcoming Slate device. Sometimes I think they have too many distractions. On the other hand, power applications aside, Snow Leopard runs so efficiently, just how much power do we all really need. Aside from lots! If they get around to supporting the 5850 in the not too distant future, I'm in.

• 1 month later...
Good news for you, Apple buys radeon hd 5750

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2010/...on-hd-5750.aspx

A couple of weeks ago I wrote that a move to 5750 seemed more likely to me that the 5770 and I based that thought on Apple having gone for the 4670 rather than the more expensive 4770; 5750 fits in better with their current pricing structure than the 5770; they surely want to keep iMac and Mac Pro's prices vaguely competitive, even more so during a recession. Anyone care to indulge in a spot of pointless speculation on whether a driver for the 5750 will work on a 5770? Via DVI!

What does this imply?

Will the next version of Mac OS have full driver support for these cards?

I have two 5750 cards in my machine. Should I wait until ATI releases Apple drivers for these cards?

Hmmm .. I think you meant next next update which is 10.6.4, NOT the next mac os. Anyway, it might really happen on 10.6.4 so you have to wait since 10.6.3 will not support 5xxx. The news looks legit so it is a good sign. The only struggle I could think of is how will this card work on osx86? Just like us who have 46xx cards, it generally works but not as what we expected. e.g. display problems on DVI or could be VGA or could be HDMI ... No extended dual display and many others.

I'm hoping that when Apple officially releases, the 5xxx will not have problems like the 46xx ones. Also, when 10.6.4 beta gets seeded to developers, there might be a chance for people to have an early start in testing the beta drivers before 10.6.4 gets officially released - just like what happened with the 46xx.

I'm already saving money for this card so may the force be with us.

• 4 months later...