Google supports pirating?

19 posts in this topic

So I was *cough* looking for my offical osx developers install cd in utorrent when I noticed something funny. My number one seed is 216-239-45-4.GOOGLE.com. And they're giving me 100 kB/s! Anyone else out there wondering why google is sharing this????

I think maybe it doesnt mean anything.

Someone at google uses torrents. He downloaded OS X.

Yay. So what?

If it was at Microsoft address, it would have the same lack of meaning. Not "Microsoft is secretly trying to get people to use OS X"

Fanny you say this, because yesterday when I was on a website I'm probably not alowed to name or link (let's just say it's for those who can't afford to buy thier software :P ) and in the list of online users, Google.com was in there. But it didn't link to a profile :)

Fanny you say this, because yesterday when I was on a website I'm probably not alowed to name or link (let's just say it's for those who can't afford to buy thier software :D ) and in the list of online users, Google.com was in there. But it didn't link to a profile :)

thats because a google spider is indexing that site at the moment.

Ask, Altavista, google, and other search engines use spiders to get data from websites, and for forums, they "make their self known" by being user "Google" or "AskJeeves"

dont worry, the first time i seen "google" as a user @ a forum, i was like O.o

No one said it was downloading. He said list of online users (If it's a torrent's site that requires subscription, it probably has a forum structure).

EDIT: In order for google to spider a site the requires membership, it would have to have a member account.

Uh, actually, the forum software usually just detects that google is there, and puts it into the memberlist. That's usually what's going on when you see that. Also probably explains a little about when you're late-night googling and suddenly you run into a blasted forum that wants you to REGISTER to read anything.

The torrent thing? Prolly someone bored at work. It's actually semi-amusing to check out the logs if you ever get slashdotted.

Oh, and just to throw evil links around: http://www.computerworld.com/blogs/node/2803

Uh, actually, the forum software usually just detects that google is there, and puts it into the memberlist. That's usually what's going on when you see that. Also probably explains a little about when you're late-night googling and suddenly you run into a blasted forum that wants you to REGISTER to read anything.

Yeah, right now Google.com and AskJeeves are online on this forum, I can see it at the bottom of the forum, where is says "Online Users".

Your viewing hostmasks. That's easy to fake. I can make my hostmask appear as "osx86project.org" if i wanted to. Doesnt mean that Google's downloading anything.

And "google.com" browsing the forums is just google's spiders cache'ing the forums.

Was funnier when i pm'd someone with an Apple.com hostmask on IRC. Oh, and the guy with a Microsoft.com hostmask awhile back as well - he was disappointed his graphics card wasnt supported. Was pretty funny