Dell 1545 Snow Leopard Retail/boot132 Install

doriean

426 posts in this topic

i tried this a few times.. i don't know if it's the osx install disk i'm using or if i'm missing something.

i used the install disk that came with my imac.

it shows as soon as the installer loads that mac can not be installed on this computer ?

i tried to use fat32 & ntfs they both do the same thing.

i tried to use the install disk i had for my retail install on my intel hackintosh and that won't ever load the installer. just sits on the apple screen with the spinning logo.

my system - dell inspiron 1545

Processor, T6400

Hard Drive, 320GB, Hitachi hts543232l9a300 ata device

Dual In-Line Memory Module 4GB

Wireless, Half Mini-card, DW1397, 4312BG

marvel Yukon 88e8040 pci-e fast ethernet controller

Video, mobile intel 45 express chipset

i tried this a few times.. i don't know if it's the osx install disk i'm using or if i'm missing something.

i used the install disk that came with my imac.

it shows as soon as the installer loads that mac can not be installed on this computer ?

i tried to use fat32 & ntfs they both do the same thing.

i tried to use the install disk i had for my retail install on my intel hackintosh and that won't ever load the installer. just sits on the apple screen with the spinning logo.

my system - dell inspiron 1545

Processor, T6400

Hard Drive, 320GB, Hitachi hts543232l9a300 ata device

Dual In-Line Memory Module 4GB

Wireless, Half Mini-card, DW1397, 4312BG

marvel Yukon 88e8040 pci-e fast ethernet controller

Video, mobile intel 45 express chipset

Per the official SL Installation and Setup Guide included on the SL DVD ...

1. Disconnect any external devices you don't need during installation.
  2. Remove any cards from manufacturers other than Apple
  3. Try installing Mac OS X again.
  4. If you were unable to install Mac OS X again, choose Utilities>Disk Utility. Select the disk on which you want to install, click First Aid, and then click Repair Disk. After repairing any problems, quit Disk Utility and then click Continue to try installing again.

If you're unable to install Mac OS X, try erasing the disk before installing Mac OS X. Before you erase your disk, try copying your files to an external disk. When you're ready to erase and reinstall Mac OS X, follow the instructions in "Erasing and reinstalling Mac OS X" later in this document.

...and you ARE using the SL 132 .iso to boot the SL DVD, right?

Per the official SL Installation and Setup Guide included on the SL DVD ...

1. Disconnect any external devices you don't need during installation.
  2. Remove any cards from manufacturers other than Apple
  3. Try installing Mac OS X again.
  4. If you were unable to install Mac OS X again, choose Utilities>Disk Utility. Select the disk on which you want to install, click First Aid, and then click Repair Disk. After repairing any problems, quit Disk Utility and then click Continue to try installing again.

If you're unable to install Mac OS X, try erasing the disk before installing Mac OS X. Before you erase your disk, try copying your files to an external disk. When you're ready to erase and reinstall Mac OS X, follow the instructions in "Erasing and reinstalling Mac OS X" later in this document.

...and you ARE using the SL 132 .iso to boot the SL DVD, right?

yes i used the boot123.iso from this post..

when i boot the OSX install disk that came with my imac it says right off that it can't be installed on my computer.

i tried to use the disk utilily to format the harddrive but all options are grayed out..

what i done--

loaded parted magic and formatted the harddrive in fat32

loaded the boot123 disk and let it boot

inserted the OSX install disk that came with my imac

hit f5 till it showed it

then hit enter to start it

the osx install loads and i select my language

after taht the next window shows a message that mac can not be installed on this system.

** i repeated these steps above also with ntfs and unformated all had the same problem. :)

I was just working to get my keyboard and trackpad fully functional...

The best solution I've found is to remove ApplePS2Controller in favor of VoodooPS2Controller (for 64bit, I think is the same as yours).

Moreover, I've modified the kext, assembling other pieces, to get all keys working on my keyboard (Italian, ISO type), the Alps trackpad to get tapping and 2 finger scrolling. As a drawback, I had speed problems like you, so I modified Trackpad.prefpane by myself.

So, for all the 1545 owners, this is the package, all in 64bit:

http://www.multiupload.com/DCR28SBFGW

Remember to put Trackpad.prefpane in /System/Library/PreferencePanes, and to install also AppleACPIPS2Nub (supplied in the package), or your keyboard won't work!

So every time i install this OS X wont load, what am i doing wrong? What details do i need to give to get this working. Finger tapping and all that works right as i install kext, but upon restart i get the screen that tells me to power off and restart(error screen)

yes i used the boot123.iso from this post..

when i boot the OSX install disk that came with my imac it says right off that it can't be installed on my computer.

i tried to use the disk utilily to format the harddrive but all options are grayed out..

what i done--

loaded parted magic and formatted the harddrive in fat32

loaded the boot123 disk and let it boot

inserted the OSX install disk that came with my imac

hit f5 till it showed it

then hit enter to start it

the osx install loads and i select my language

after taht the next window shows a message that mac can not be installed on this system.

** i repeated these steps above also with ntfs and unformated all had the same problem. :)

I MIGHT have a solution. As I recall, when I made my first attempt 2 months ago, the same thing happened, but then I stumbled upon the fix. Next time you boot 132, load the SL DVD. I'm assuming here that you're using the retail SL DVD, $29. Once you get into the SL install, start Disk Utility. Select the entire disk and erase it. Any and all existing partitions will be wiped. After that, select the number and size of the partitions you want. Make sure your partitions are formatted as the default, Mac OSX Journalled. Open partition options and select GUID.

SL won't install on MBR, it looks for GUID. NTFS partitions are installed as default MBR. Even unformatted, your disk is probably set to the MBR scheme. Once SL see that, the install freezes.

I MIGHT have a solution. As I recall, when I made my first attempt 2 months ago, the same thing happened, but then I stumbled upon the fix. Next time you boot 132, load the SL DVD. I'm assuming here that you're using the retail SL DVD, $29. Once you get into the SL install, start Disk Utility. Select the entire disk and erase it. Any and all existing partitions will be wiped. After that, select the number and size of the partitions you want. Make sure your partitions are formatted as the default, Mac OSX Journalled. Open partition options and select GUID.

SL won't install on MBR, it looks for GUID. NTFS partitions are installed as default MBR. Even unformatted, your disk is probably set to the MBR scheme. Once SL see that, the install freezes.

thanks, i do think your right about the MBR..

but when i do get the install to load with my imac disk it won't mess with the harddrive.

what i don't understand is on my desktop i can load and format my harddrive no matter what the scheme is.

I start intallation, but after "Some scrolling" i get "Still waiting for root device" :)  (in verbose mode), can anyone help with that?? (Oh, and my SATA is AHCI mode :P )

thanks, i do think your right about the MBR..

but when i do get the install to load with my imac disk it won't mess with the harddrive.

what i don't understand is on my desktop i can load and format my harddrive no matter what the scheme is.

You need a Retail DVD not a distribution DVD that came with a particular Mac, in your case an iMac. Invest $29 more in your project.

You need a Retail DVD not a distribution DVD that came with a particular Mac, in your case an iMac. Invest $29 more in your project.

Everdone:

Could you explain the differences? I thought Snow Leopard only came in Standard and Server editions. Are distribution DVD's customized per machine or what?

I'm looking for a quick opinion, Dell has the Inspiron 15 on sale right now for a good price with the T4400 and using the X4500HD. There is an option to upgrade to the Radeon HD4330. Which would be better? Would either work with QE and CI? Thanks.

I'm looking for a quick opinion, Dell has the Inspiron 15 on sale right now for a good price with the T4400 and using the X4500HD. There is an option to upgrade to the Radeon HD4330. Which would be better? Would either work with QE and CI? Thanks.

mobility 4330 on dell 1545 actually is working without acceleration with mostly full resolution options with the radeonHD kext. Only in a unique case it seems to work with QE/CI but fixed at a stretched resolution (4:3 instead of 16:9) with graphicenabler=yes

My advice, if you would like to get full advantages from macos, is to try a vostro or a 17" inspiron with nvidia graphic cards (search info in this forum before....)

Thanks for the info. Is it the same for all the ATI cards now? I can't find any Inspirons on the Dell website with Nvidia.

It seems to be the same with all ATI mobility cards. By now, maybe future releases of SL will increase compatibility.

Try to take a look at the dell website's business section, you can compose a vostro laptop with a nvidia graphic card

good luck

It seems to be the same with all ATI mobility cards. By now, maybe future releases of SL will increase compatibility.

Try to take a look at the dell website's business section, you can compose a vostro laptop with a nvidia graphic card

good luck

Thanks for that. I got a great deal on an HP which i couldn't pass on, so i bought that instead and again, it came with an ATI card, the HD4550. I'll just hold off and see if anything changes in the future.

mobility 4330 on dell 1545 actually is working without acceleration with mostly full resolution options with the radeonHD kext. Only in a unique case it seems to work with QE/CI but fixed at a stretched resolution (4:3 instead of 16:9) with graphicenabler=yes

My advice, if you would like to get full advantages from macos, is to try a vostro or a 17" inspiron with nvidia graphic cards (search info in this forum before....)

hi

can you give me steps for making the full resolution working on 4330 ?? ive tried many setups but nothing has worked.. landed on this post via google

thanks

Thanks for that. I got a great deal on an HP which i couldn't pass on, so i bought that instead and again, it came with an ATI card, the HD4550. I'll just hold off and see if anything changes in the future.

yes, I know what you mean, I also had to catch a great deal with my inspiron. I hope that with the help of this grat community we're going to figure out on how to solve these ati mobility issues.

hi

can you give me steps for making the full resolution working on 4330 ?? ive tried many setups but nothing has worked.. landed on this post via google

thanks

you've got a PM :)

however post your system's specs in your signature, to help people better understand your issues

And now it's the turn of the sound card..

The VoodoHDA module supplied in this post is compiled for 32bit only.. Always the same problem, I want 64bit. Searching other forums, I've found a pre-VoodooHDA 0.2.53 compiled for 64bit, another one that begins to support the volume control, but still far from what I need. So, I tried with AppleHDA Patching, and after having no luck with HDAEnabler or HDEFInject, I've compiled a dsdt.aml + a modified AppleHDA (taken from another forum).

Now I got 64bit support, volume control and internal mic working!

Here it is: http://www.multiupload.com/LJY5L9UKD9

-Please delete or backup all other audio modules from /System/Library/Extensione (AppleHDA.kext, VoodooHDA.kext, VoodooHDAHelper, HDAEnabler.kext, HDEFEnabler.kext, LegacyAppleHDA.kext) before installing this one.

First- thanks again Dorean for the tutorial. I have SL 10.6.2 running well using only info from this thread. I used your initial instructions EXCEPT for sound and video, for which I used Deviato's excellent /dsdt.aml and /boot, along with the AppleHDA.kext from the above post for sound.

The best part about using Deviato's method instead of voodoohda.kext is with his method I can adjust the sound from the volume applet and the keyboard.

My concern is that if, I mean when... a kext comes out for the GMA4500 that supports QE/CI I'll have to go back to voodoo for audio.

Is that correct Deviato?

hey im very happy to hear someone has finally put a tutorial for this BUT!

woul it be possible to put SL on a 8gb usb flash drive and still use the boot disc and then boot into the usb device?

I bought an 8 gig USB expressly for that purpose. It was too small for the job.

Dorien:

Yo da man. I've posted elsewhere that I used your method to get my 1545 hackintosh'd. I then upgraded it with Deviato's sound/resolution solution then put the frosting on this project by installing Windows 7 and Ubuntu Studio. Thanks for all the input and answering my noobish questions.

Looking forward to qe/ci and trackpad support.

Dorien:

Yo da man. I've posted elsewhere that I used your method to get my 1545 hackintosh'd. I then upgraded it with Deviato's sound/resolution solution then put the frosting on this project by installing Windows 7 and Ubuntu Studio. Thanks for all the input and answering my noobish questions.

Looking forward to qe/ci and trackpad support.

hi

great... can you plz tell me as far as graphics are concerned .. do you have QE or native resolution and if no .. can you open jpgs in preview ? is yours intel GMA or ATI 4330 card ?

lastly can you give the link to deviato's resolution files ?

hi

great... can you plz tell me as far as graphics are concerned .. do you have QE or native resolution and if no .. can you open jpgs in preview ? is yours intel GMA or ATI 4330 card ?

lastly can you give the link to deviato's resolution files ?

Native resolution; YES! Deviato's fix for Dell 1545 with GMA4500 chipset.

qe/ci: No - but I'm hopeful one of the genius' will come up with the fix soon.

Specs: GMA4500

Preview; weird. If I click on the image, I get a blank. If I hover over the image and tap the spacebar, I get the preview. I can't explain it.

I bought an 8 gig USB expressly for that purpose. It was too small for the job.

I installed SL in 3 differents machines. The first time via DVD but for the others I used an 8 gb USB. Every time worked just perfect!!. I´ve a Dell Inspiron 1545, a Samsung N140 and a HP 1005.

Did you prepare it from utility disk?

Regards