Snow Leopard on HP DC7700 CMT or SFF working

Donw35

20 posts in this topic

What you will need

Support graphics card, built in will not work.

download nawcomBootCD.iso (you need this version, newer version do not work)

nawcom boot CD 09/07 --> download here

Snow Leopard retail DVD 10.6.0 or 10.6.3

AzaliaAudio.pkg for Audio

clean hard disk, I will not go into dual booting, you can figure that out on your own.

insert the boot CD and power on machine, once booted eject the boot CD and insert the retail DVD and press F5

(if your USB mouse and keyboard do not work, power down the machine, unplug the power cable, press the power button, plug in the power cable and start over.)

using disk utilities format the drive with GUID.

install snow leopard. click restart and when you see the bios screen turn off the machine. you will now need to delete AppleHPET.kext from S/L/E. I do this by removing the hard disk and load it into a USB case, mount it in my Mac Book Pro and delete it. Then re install the hard disk into the DC 7700.

eject the Snow leopard DVD and boot using nawcomBootCD, select the hard disk you install SL on

Continue with the Apple setup questions. now go the the post-install pkgs folder and install myHack_Installer-1.1.4.mpkg. When you get to "Installation type" select Custom, make sure to check IOATAFamily.kxt and click Install. After installation is complete, eject the CD and restart. You should now have a bootable OS X machine

Go to Software update and install all listed updates, you will need to restart and once complete turn off the machine when it reboots and delete AppleHPET.kext from S/L/E. (10.6.4 brings install another AppleHPET.kext from the update)

reboot and go to Software update and install listed updates and restart.

Now install AzaliaAudio.pkg and follow the prompts and restart.

From here on out you should have a working 10.6.4 OS X on your HP DC 7700 CMT or SFF

This process should also work on other HP with Core2Duo and intel chipsets

I have had success use these graphics cards, Geforce 8400GS, 8600GT, 9800GT, 210GT and 240GT

• 1 month later...
I am using a HP DC 7700 CMT desktop for my hackintosh, works almost 100% and running iDeneb 10.5.8.

I have been search and trying to get a SL install on this machine without much luck and before I spend anymore time, is this even going to work ?

System specs

MotherBoardChipSet = Q965, ICH8

CPU= Core2Duo 2.4gig

Video = GeForce 8500 GT

Nic = RTL 8169

if this can work I plan to write up the install process.

Thanks

Have you got solution ?

• 3 weeks later...

Snow does work in HP DC7700.

1. Make sure a PCIe Display Card is used instead of build-in Intel Graphic

2. Use Empire EFI (http://prasys.co.cc/tag/empire-efi/) to install to Hard Disk.

Check this video (http://www.youtube.com/user/sn0le)

http://www.youtube.com/user/sn0le#p/u/9/5e4-1EeM9q4

3. Install the necessary kexts for HP DC7700 in /Extra/Extensions folder

* IOATAFamily (patched) - patch the ICH8 Serial ATA key string of info.plist with the Dev ID of your motherboard SATA controller (should be 2820) in AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext within the PlugIns folder

* FakeSMC - must have

* Disabler - must have

* NVinject - no need if you have DSDT generated

* NullCPUPowerManagement - must have but you ALSO need to remove AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement and AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient kexts in /System/Library/Extensions

* Intel82566MM - needed only if you use the built-in ethernet

* ApplePS2Controller - driver for the built-in PS2 keyboard & mouse if you don't use their USB equivalents

* AppleACPIPS2Nub - must go together with ApplePS2Controller

* NVDANV50Hal (patched) - may not needed, depending on your added video card. Not necessary if you have DSDT generated. The patch is to put in the Dev ID of your card in the info.plist

* AppleAHCIPort (patched) - patch the IOPCIPrimaryMatch key string of ICH8MAHCI with the Dev ID of your motherboard SATA controller (should be 2820)

4. Edit the smbios.plist and com.apple.boot.plist in /Extra folder to emulate the Mac model you want and set some startup parameters

Better generate and put a DSDT.aml file in /Extra too

5. Install the proper bootloader for booting OSX. Not all bootloaders are created equal.

See the list of Chameleon variations here (http://prasys.co.cc/2010/02/list-of-compiled-chameleon-builds/#more-2514)

The one installed by Empire EFI does work with HP DC7700 but takes a long time to boot.

Cheers ! (last Edit 30 Mar 2010)

• 2 weeks later...

IOATAFamily (patched)

FakeSMC

Disabler

NVinject

NullCPUPowerManagement

Intel82566MM

ApplePS2Controller

AppleACPIPS2Nub

NVDANV50Hal (patched)

AppleAHCIPort (patched)

Remove the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement and AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient kexts from /System/Library/Extensions

4. Edit the smbios.plist and com.apple.boot.plist in /Extra folder

Can you expand on 3 and 4. Where can I get the files you identified in section 3, especially the patched ones?

Also, how should I edit those two plist files? What should they be changed to?

Finally, whats the easiest way to genera a DSDT file?

Can you expand on 3 and 4. Where can I get the files you identified in section 3, especially the patched ones?

Also, how should I edit those two plist files? What should they be changed to?

Finally, whats the easiest way to genera a DSDT file?

I have attached the plist files of smbios and com.apple.boot for your reference.

Basically there is no need for you to change the smbios.plist unless you want to change the model of Mac you emulate.

For the com.apple.boot.plist, you can set the graphics mode on boot up, change the timeout before the autoboot, replace the NVCAP with the value from your video card (the 0641 is the device ID of my video card), and the default PciRoot of the display (either 0 or 1).

The most updated 64bit Snow version of all the patched kexts can be easily found in this forum with a bit of search or in some other sites of collections e.g.

http://www.insanelymac.com/2009/09/downloa...pard-3264-bits/

http://www.kexts.com/

http://cid-8b65993ef55cf014.skydrive.live....Snow%20Leopard/

Those I listed are really what you need in HP 7700. Forget all the others. If you generate your own DSDT file, you can dispose of the NVinject. Using DSDT simple editor is probably the easiest way to do so as shown here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=211705

The latest DSDTSE can be downloaded from here:

http://www.osx86.es/?p=610

However, you need to update the iasl compiler within the DSDTSE application from the latest version found here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=189272

The AsereBLN bootloader from myHack_Installer seems to be the best booter for HP 7700.

http://osx86.sojugarden.com/category/myhack-utilities/

Hope these help.

smbios_and_com_apple_boot.zip

• 5 months later...

its easy now with nawcom boot CD and myHack installer, you will need to use a supported graphics card nVidia or ATI

you will need two kext's IOATAFamily.kext and AzaliaAudio.kext for SATA and sound.

the other issue is you have to delete AppleHPET.kext to get USB to function.

I will update my process soon.

install process updated, let me know your results

I tried runing the empire efi but nothing happens. I boot from the disk, then ejected inserted my off the shelf 10.6.1 disk waited a few hit F5 an nothing happend. But If I toggled to install icon it would load for a second then give an error to fast for me to read! LOL then it just reboots. I will post the system specs soon.

Got it to install, deleted the file AppleHPET.kext put the machine back together. Booted off the boot disk, selected the drive I just installed to. Then i shows the text out put for a few seconds like its loading the system files. Then stop at this screen that reads...

Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,2) /System/Library/Extensions/TMSafetyNet.kext/contents/MacOS/TMSafetyNet] 9364 bytes

Acpi table not found: DSDT.aml

No DSDT found, using 0 as uid value

Using PCI-Root--UID Value:0

Any ideas?

I have tried different boot CD's to install retail and have only found the version in my first post to work so I cannot offer any advice on others.

did you install IOATAFamily.kext ?

I have tried different boot CD's to install retail and have only found the version in my first post to work so I cannot offer any advice on others.

did you install IOATAFamily.kext ?

How do you install if you cant get to boot? I know the other version were completely reworked so in the process of install you could select options an then do that but im using a OEM 10.6 disk which doesn't have any of those functions.

boot using the nawcomBootCD i have liked to in my first post. follow the process, on the boot CD is an installer that will allow you to add the kext to you installation.

Like I said, there are newer installation boot CD's but I was unable to get them to work, only the one I liked to works and I am not going to spend allot of time on these older HP machines.

• 4 months later...
Snow does work in HP DC7700.

1. Make sure a PCIe Display Card is used instead of build-in Intel Graphic

2. Use Empire EFI (http://prasys.co.cc/tag/empire-efi/) to install to Hard Disk.

Check this video (http://www.youtube.com/user/sn0le)

http://www.youtube.com/user/sn0le#p/u/9/5e4-1EeM9q4

* IOATAFamily (patched) - patch the ICH8 Serial ATA key string of info.plist with the Dev ID of your motherboard SATA controller (should be 2820) in AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext within the PlugIns folder

* FakeSMC - must have

* Disabler - must have

* NVinject - no need if you have DSDT generated

* NullCPUPowerManagement - must have but you ALSO need to remove AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement and AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient kexts in /System/Library/Extensions

* Intel82566MM - needed only if you use the built-in ethernet

* ApplePS2Controller - driver for the built-in PS2 keyboard & mouse if you don't use their USB equivalents

* AppleACPIPS2Nub - must go together with ApplePS2Controller

* NVDANV50Hal (patched) - may not needed, depending on your added video card. Not necessary if you have DSDT generated. The patch is to put in the Dev ID of your card in the info.plist

* AppleAHCIPort (patched) - patch the IOPCIPrimaryMatch key string of ICH8MAHCI with the Dev ID of your motherboard SATA controller (should be 2820)

4. Edit the smbios.plist and com.apple.boot.plist in /Extra folder to emulate the Mac model you want and set some startup parameters

5. Install the proper bootloader for booting OSX. Not all bootloaders are created equal.

See the list of Chameleon variations here (http://prasys.co.cc/2010/02/list-of-compiled-chameleon-builds/#more-2514)

The one installed by Empire EFI does work with HP DC7700 but takes a long time to boot.

Cheers ! (last Edit 30 Mar 2010)

can you send me files anthony90960@gmail.com or post a link?

• 2 weeks later...

i have snow running on a dc7700 small form factor. from my experience, i would suggest using nawcom mod cd to boot it. i have a pretty much vanilla install and it was up and running with a minimum amount of grief in about an hour. if you'd like, i'll be more than happy to email you the DSDT.aml i use.

also, you *NEED* a pci-e gfx. it absolutely won't work with the onboard

• 2 months later...
What you will need

clean hard disk, I will not go into dual booting, you can figure that out on your own.

insert the boot CD and power on machine, once booted eject the boot CD and insert the retail DVD and press F5

(if your USB mouse and keyboard do not work, power down the machine, unplug the power cable, press the power button, plug in the power cable and start over.)

install snow leopard. click restart and when you see the bios screen turn off the machine. you will now need to delete AppleHPET.kext from S/L/E. I do this by removing the hard disk and load it into a USB case, mount it in my Mac Book Pro and delete it. Then re install the hard disk into the DC 7700.

eject the Snow leopard DVD and boot using nawcomBootCD, select the hard disk you install SL on

Continue with the Apple setup questions. now go the the post-install pkgs folder and install myHack_Installer-1.1.4.mpkg. When you get to "Installation type" select Custom, make sure to check IOATAFamily.kxt and click Install. After installation is complete, eject the CD and restart. You should now have a bootable OS X machine

Go to Software update and install all listed updates, you will need to restart and once complete turn off the machine when it reboots and delete AppleHPET.kext from S/L/E. (10.6.4 brings install another AppleHPET.kext from the update)

From here on out you should have a working 10.6.4 OS X on your HP DC 7700 CMT or SFF

I have had success use these graphics cards, Geforce 8400GS, 8600GT, 9800GT, 210GT and 240GT

Everything seems to be working with the exception of audio.. Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

AzaliaAudio.pkg works fine on the DC7700 but if you install a graphics card with HDMI it will disable the sound in the bios, just re enable and you are good to go.

• 2 months later...
What you will need

Hi there, I installed the Ethernet kexts "Intel82566MM.kext" on my DC7700 and everything forks great, except for one little think. I can't reach any other macs or windows pc's on my network. They can reach the DC7700 but not the other way around.

Any idea?

Thanks!

• 4 months later...

hi i have a quick question, im running sl on my dc700sff everything worked ok except for graphic acceleration, once i got the system to recognize my ge8400gs 512mb when i boot it up the desktop takes for ever to load up it does it like one icon at a time, when i click on anything it does not respond however if i boot up in safe mode i systems moves smoothly, but graphics arent that great, i tried graphicsenable=yes and i tried nvenabler.kext with same results, i dont know if someone can guide me in the right direction here, thanks in advance