Jump to content

Should I wait it out?


  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1
aust68

aust68

    InsanelyMac Protégé

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
Well, recently, instead of buying a new computer, I said screw it, and decided to wait the extra while for the money, and go for the real thing. Decided on an iMac as I don't need to have a laptop, though it would be nice, it's not really necessary. But when I decided to go for the iMac, something else popped into my mind, thinking I maybe should wait until the Core 2 Duos come out to make my purchase, so I have a few questions, some that can only be speculation really, but it'll be better than nothing.

When will the new Conroes and Meroms be released?

I'll have the money by around the first of August, so is it possible that Apple may announce this at WWDC? And if not are there any other events scheduled to take place where an announcement is possible?

Would the wait of 3-4 months extra be worth it, assuming they'll be released around December?

Almost done, if I go with the current 17" iMac, will there be any features that I will not have that will be needed in the near future with Leopard, such as 64-bit?

And lastly, what would you do in this situation, go for it, or wait it out?

Thanks for all the help.

#2
-TiLT-

-TiLT-

    InsanelyMac Geek

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Location:Germany

When will the new Conroes and Meroms be released?


Please, read the forum, there are several threads where this is discussed to death. Google helps as well.

I'll have the money by around the first of August, so is it possible that Apple may announce this at WWDC? And if not are there any other events scheduled to take place where an announcement is possible?


Same as above.

Would the wait of 3-4 months extra be worth it, assuming they'll be released around December?


Yes, it is worth to wait. C2D and C2E seem to have highly increased computation power. Even if you do not buy a C2D iMac, the older ones will be on sale.

Almost done, if I go with the current 17" iMac, will there be any features that I will not have that will be needed in the near future with Leopard, such as 64-bit?


Apple will not lock out all those customers that purchased 32bit machines. At this moment, there is no need for 64bit, as the main advantage, to have more than 4gb ram, is not necessary a limit for ordinary customers.

And lastly, what would you do in this situation, go for it, or wait it out?


I decided to wait until core2duo reaches series-production readiness. Not only because it produces less heat, but also because I hope Apple revises the MacBook Pro to get rid of the known issues.
But if you ask the way you asked, to give an answer: Go for it... or... no dont, wait until... no if you need it now, get it... no maybe there is something better in the future,.........
Decide if you need a machine now for your work. If it is for something you make money with, buy it. If you just want a machine for everyday use, sleep some nights before you buy one.

Buying when something new comes out is expensive, buying when its on the market for some time is cheaper, but you always have to deal with the feeling of of buying something dated.

#3
kernalzero

kernalzero

    aesculapius

  • Donators
  • 569 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:South Carolina
There's always something new coming out in the months to come...no matter when it is. You could be asking this question in december 2006. The real question you should be asking yourself is do you need the computer now? If you do then you've answered your question. If you don't need a computer right now and you've built an OSx86 box that will get you through for the mean time then there's your answer too. It's all a judgement call on your part. Personally- I'm waiting until after the WWDC in august to see what happens. Even if I don't get a Core 2 duo, the core duo will be cheaper. goodluck

#4
Swad

Swad

    Founder.

  • Administrators
  • 3,709 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Chicago
aust68-

With WWDC less than 2 months away, I'd say your best be would be to wait. :)

#5
Pippin

Pippin

    InsanelyMac Geek

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Yeah I recommend waiting!

#6
Colonel

Colonel

    11 Herbs & Spices

  • Retired
  • 4,157 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:KFC
I feel bad. Everyone is saying to wait to get an Intel Mac and I just got my Macbook. I don't wanna take it back, but then I'll feel terrible when the Meron Macbooks come out.

#7
aust68

aust68

    InsanelyMac Protégé

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
Well, I've thought about it some myself, and then I came back and read these posts, and yes, I'll be waiting. I don't need it right at the moment anyways, it'd be nice, but the wait will be worth it. Thanks everyone.

#8
xtraktion

xtraktion

    InsanelyMac Protégé

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

I feel bad. Everyone is saying to wait to get an Intel Mac and I just got my Macbook. I don't wanna take it back, but then I'll feel terrible when the Meron Macbooks come out.


all the core 2 duos are 64bit - it would seem to me to further differentiate the pro models from consumer models, apple would put 64bit in their macbook pros and leave the 32bit core duos in their consumer based macbooks. core duos are not going to stop being in production after core 2 duos coem out; many vendors will still be using them as they'll be cheaper than the core 2 duos with relatively still good performance. i don't think you'll have buyers remorse with your macbook if any of the speculation is true. then again, apple did put high end core duos in their macbooks instead of lower power ones like some suggested.

As far as the topic at hand, i think it's worth the wait if you can hold out. 64bit won't be so much of a big deal for a while, but as it becomes more and more prevalent, it's nice to kno you'll be able to run those 64bit apps or get a 64bit boost when apps begin to suport 64bit.

#9
quixos

quixos

    InsanelyMac Legend

  • Retired
  • 943 posts

I feel bad.

dont't feel waste your precious life feeling bad! aren't you enjoying the performance and bling of your new macbook? i know i would be.

one can wait forever for the next great big thing, cause there always will be one. you have a wonderful computer now. :whistle:

sure i want the most powerful computer i can buy for my money, but how much faster can Firefox open? will the computers that don't exist yet, convert an avi to a DVD in under 30 seconds? will video chatting be more exciting, or listening to music be so much enhanced?

i'm waiting until i can afford a mac tower, and will wait no longer after that becomes available. no matter if the generation after promises walking talking scr*wing sexbots. and i won't regret it. :D

#10
-TiLT-

-TiLT-

    InsanelyMac Geek

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Location:Germany

all the core 2 duos are 64bit


Are you sure, I recently read that Core2duo keeps on 32bit while Santa Rosa will give us 64bit and 800mhz fsb.

http://www.theregist...ntrino_roadmap/

Edit: Just a second ago I found a german article that says, they were able to compare a Merom in a non specialized test to a 2,6ghz Athlon 64 FX-60.

#11
xtraktion

xtraktion

    InsanelyMac Protégé

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Are you sure, I recently read that Core2duo keeps on 32bit while Santa Rosa will give us 64bit and 800mhz fsb.

http://www.theregist...ntrino_roadmap/

Edit: Just a second ago I found a german article that says, they were able to compare a Merom in a non specialized test to a 2,6ghz Athlon 64 FX-60.


that article was published at the beginning of January. I guess some things have changed from then to now:

http://www.notebookr...asp?newsID=2926





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy