Make bootable USB from DMG on Windows

cclloyd9785

32 posts in this topic

you might want to try a different approach: let your friend partition and format the usb pendrive for guid and hfs+,

then use 'cp -a' under a linux distro in order to copy the dvd-files onto the usb pendrive.

yea i get wat u guys r saying. it broke though. thats y i need a USB. we were gonna reinstall 10.6 so i need a way to burn the retail .dmg to my 8GB USB.

Transmac for Windows (2-week trial) can format USB drives for mac and restore .dmg files to USB drives.

Download Transmac and install in Windows

In the right-side panel of Transmac, right click on your USB Drive >> Format Disk >> Format with Disk Image (see attached screenshot)

Point to your .dmg file and click Open.

post-175627-1261534813_thumb.png

Transmac for Windows (2-week trial) can format USB drives for mac and restore .dmg files to USB drives.

In the right-side panel of Transmac, right click on your USB Drive >> Format Disk >> Format with Disk Image (see attached screenshot)

Is there a trick to get it to see your USB drive? Mine won't show up in transmac.

I've managed to open up a image I created from my SD card using macdrive and I was able to edit that image. If I could just get it to see my USB stick i'd be set.

Edit - I figured it out. Had to run as admin.

• 1 month later...
I am getting the same error. Did u somehow fix it?

Guys why don't you give a try on this way!!

incase of making OSX USB Bootable Drive on WINDOWS u need few things u can google it to find ;)

1) 8GB USB drive (atleast or more OR USB HARD)

2) Ultra ISO

3) OSX DVD Installer

4) Windows PC (xp,vista,7) with DVD ROM

And easy to get done in few steps

On Windows PC Format your USB drive in normal FAT32 format

Install Ultra ISO Run it ''As Adminitration'' if on Vista or Win7...put OSX Installer DVD in ROM go

to 'Tools' n select 'Make DVD Image' option...n save it as Standard .ISO file on desire location

Now in Ultra ISO go to 'Bootable' and choose option ''Write Disk Image...''

there you select USB Drive...brows .ISO file....choose Write Method ''USB-HDD+'' and get done in an hour may be less

hope this will help

and if you dont have DVD ROM available but u already have DMG file in system then u simply turn your file extension .DMG to .ISO n follow...

• Like 1

and if you dont have DVD ROM available but u already have DMG file in system then u simply turn your file extension .DMG to .ISO n follow...

Thanks for replying.

How do i change it to iso? I renamed it but Its not that simple here....See the shot

54162560.jpg

ok i did all that, and it said i had to expand the .dmg so i did. Now when i tried, it just said Error writing to Mac Disk.

expand ??

why should that be necessary ??

i made all my install stuff with transmac and there is no need for "expanding"!!

transmac is the fastest way to get it done

save the dvd as dmg image and the format the usb drive with that image - thats all

nothing to epand in this workflow

Does that let you make a PC a Hackintosh without a Mac?

Thanks for replying.

How do i change it to iso? I renamed it but Its not that simple here....See the shot

54162560.jpg

u just renames it and that won't work

go to My Computer > Organise > Folder and Search Options > View >..there u check the box Show hidden files and also uncheck the option ''Hide extensions for knows file types''

and now u can change extension DMG to ISO

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I've used transmac to format and write Snow Leopard DMG (uncompressed) image to a 16GB corsair memory stick ...all went fine.

However when i try to boot from it on my Dell 630 i get a error on boot "No boot sector on USB device" ..any ideas on how to check if it should be bootable and also make it bootable?

Thanks.

I've used transmac to format and write Snow Leopard DMG (uncompressed) image to a 16GB corsair memory stick ...all went fine.

However when i try to boot from it on my Dell 630 i get a error on boot "No boot sector on USB device" ..any ideas on how to check if it should be bootable and also make it bootable?

Thanks.

Here's what I'm trying. I'll come back and let you know if it works:

Currently having TransMac make the usb boot stick. But you say it won't be bootable...

well I think we need to use a boot loader no?

Ehhhh. All the guides talk about using osx to make the usb stick.

My plan was to burn the DMG with TransMac (which failed. have 2 dvd's left to try)

and once I had the DVD, to install it on vmware after booting it with the snowy vmware files. (a boot loader for using snow leopard on vmware)...and from there, make a real USB stick from the disk utility, having installed snow leopard on the vmware...

its weird like backwards or recursive or something....kind of process.

but i have not found a way to convert DMG to ISO, which would let me then mount the ISO and see it from vmware to install i think.

Might just have to wait till I can get my friend to come over with his macbook pro someday.

edit: 11/23

haha. I saw this earlier and it helped me figure something out, so I wanted to give thanks to the author and share what I accomplished and how. Then I found out it was Me who wrote it a month and a half ago.

Well it seem to be working. Installed Snow Leopard on VMWare via a guide I found with darwin_snow. Then I use the DVD to restore to a flash drive from Disk Utility. Next step is to follow Tweak's guide here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=189052. Only difference is he is using a real osx install and I am using a vmware install.

Fingers crossed that it will work when I'm done.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks, patnucci - method worked perfectly for me. I had to expand Snow Leopard as well but it wrote on to USB fine. Everything went smoothly although the installation was slower than I expected but I can only put that down to running it off of a USB stick.

I was (re)installing the software on a MacBook that is compatible with OS X. I'm not sure if the same will apply to people trying to install it on hardware designed, originally, for Windows.

Thanks!

Thanks, patnucci - method worked perfectly for me. I had to expand Snow Leopard as well but it wrote on to USB fine. Everything went smoothly although the installation was slower than I expected but I can only put that down to running it off of a USB stick.

I was (re)installing the software on a MacBook that is compatible with OS X. I'm not sure if the same will apply to people trying to install it on hardware designed, originally, for Windows.

Thanks!

I created a topic on using small hard drives as installers (only issue is that it would roadblock portable Hackery; the idea is pretty much desktop-only due to physical-space reasons), as there are still lots of these bigger-than-thumb-drive-but-too-small-for-regular-use hard drives (especially PATA, but some SATA) hard drives sitting on shelves.

• 4 months later...

sorry for the old topic bump!

I was able to get it working by downloading a trial version of MacDrive for Windows and then going to modify/edit partitions and clicked on my drive. I hit 'initialize disk' and then went back to Transmac and formatted it as HSF+ then reformatted it with the expanded snow leopard image.

• 2 weeks later...

I used parts of every post from this topic to make it work.

I downloaded the Iatkos s2v3 (10.6.3) --google it.

I used Transmac (15 days trial or google a cracked version if you like)

inside Transmac, following posts here, I formated my 8gb pendrive to hfs and "burned" my iatkos ISO into it (without renaming to .DMG)

I used my other pendrive (1gb) to install an image file with the bootloader for mac (http://osx.mechdrew.com/downloads/NBI_083F.img) with Win32DiskImager (http://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer/0.2/0.2/+download/win32diskimager-RELEASE-0.2-r23-win32.zip)

on my laptop (toshiba a205-s4777) I plugged both pendrives at the same time and pressed f-12 (might be another key on yours) to get the boot menu, and booted on USB memory

the bootloader on the 1gb was loaded and recognized the 8gb one as the mac instalation DVD, just had to press enter pretty much.

no mac and no dvd required. just an ISO and 2 really small softwares.

I've been having a few kernell panics trying to install everything, so I have to re-install over and over on the trial and error basis, and both pendrives plugged in are working flawlessly for this.

(ps.: my main PC (this one) has no cd/dvd drives (or any drives at all) and my laptop has a cd/dvd drive but it has been broken for years now, so this was my only choice.)

EDIT: just a small FYI that might help some people, all my kernell panics stopped once I started booting 10.6.3 with the 32bit flag.... aparently the 64 bit side of it was not in harmony with my hardware... (which is weird since i run linux and win7 64 bits on the same pc, but anyway, though it was good to point out)

• 4 months later...

I have a solution, it worked for me:

install snow leopard under vmware, format your stick in windows (before you run vmware) as FAT32, then in snow (vmware) go to disk utility and select your stick, go to erase, earse it as MAC OS Extended (journaled), then go to restore, select as image/soruce the snow .dmg (it must be in your vmware, doesn't work through shared folders, and at the destiation, dran 'n' drop the stick iamge from destkop to the destination field. Press restore, enter your admin password, and that's it! It will take some time, but it will popup with the image written on the stick, after it was successfully "restored".

Now use [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] burned on CD from .iso, and your stick in USB, set CV/DVD first then USB and last HDD at boot priority, after [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] loads, select the usb stick name, and follow the instructions. Please be aware of the fact that you must have a new partition ready, if you want to split an existing partition with the snow installation application, you will lose all the date on that partition.

Good luck!

Here you have a link http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/04/ibo...ac-os-x-on.html how to install OS (after you make the steps above). What to do in the setup process.

• 2 weeks later...