• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

cowjam

cowjam

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
Here's a challenge - can anyone get the free trial of this high end editing/compositing app to work on a hackintosh?

http://area.autodesk.com/smokeonmac

booger_sniffer5000

booger_sniffer5000

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  • Interests:OSx86 (duh)
Those are some serious system requirements.

cowjam

cowjam

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
Well, apparently it will run on a laptop too! :)

I can install the app, but when I try to run GetDLHostID to generate the trial license, it can't get the info for the HD.

Can someone try this? Just want to see if it's my system or if it is the fact that it's a Hackintosh.

sampledi

sampledi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
It is working on i7 rig with 4870.

cowjam

cowjam

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
Thanks Sampledi.

I can install the ap but when I try to run dlgethostid to generate the trail license, it returns this:

Error: Disk drive failed to return data
***Error: Unable to determine the host ID of this machine.

I'm thinking it has something to do with smbios or fakesmc. What install method did you use to get osx 10.6.2 running on your rig?

sampledi

sampledi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
- Retail 10.6 restored to USB
- Completely new rig, installed from scratch.... even didn't have time to create DSDT.aml for that one

Your error does not have anything with smbios or fakesmc. You'll need a string for your ethernet card, in your smbios.plist, in order to get LMHOSTID to work.

bonfilio

bonfilio

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Ah good ole lmhost.. brings back memories of Maya.

cowjam

cowjam

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
Thanks sampledi

I will try. I'm running an ep35-ds3l mobo. Any good suggestions on guides for modding the smbios?

sampledi

sampledi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
You don't have to edit smbios manualy. Just go to PCWiz page and download Universal OSx86 Installer (for example...there are other ways too):
www.######.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=category&sectionid=5&id=21&Itemid=48
When you run Installer you'll see the option "Apply Ethernet EFI String (Time Machine Fix)". Check that box. Make sure that you have selected your system hard drive at the top drop down menu. Click install, reboot, and you are ready to go. Very straight forward.
During next couple of weeks I will build new i7 rig, and that will be the chance to do small experiment. A bunch of new hardware is purchased and coming every day, and the goal will be to be "all green" in Autodesk Qualification Report. That will include moding 8800 gtx to quadro 5600, external raid, etc, etc. I'll do it for fun, just to see Smoke completely "supported" on hack :(.
Currently I don't have any ambition to learn smoke, purchase it and use it for my work, but it will be cool to demonstrate the power of hackintosh, thanx to this wonderful community.
And honestly I was always more of Avid DS fun for finishing :)

dvrender

dvrender

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

You don't have to edit smbios manualy. Just go to PCWiz page and download Universal OSx86 Installer (for example...there are other ways too):
www.######.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=category&sectionid=5&id=21&Itemid=48
When you run Installer you'll see the option "Apply Ethernet EFI String (Time Machine Fix)". Check that box. Make sure that you have selected your system hard drive at the top drop down menu. Click install, reboot, and you are ready to go. Very straight forward.
During next couple of weeks I will build new i7 rig, and that will be the chance to do small experiment. A bunch of new hardware is purchased and coming every day, and the goal will be to be "all green" in Autodesk Qualification Report. That will include moding 8800 gtx to quadro 5600, external raid, etc, etc. I'll do it for fun, just to see Smoke completely "supported" on hack :D.
Currently I don't have any ambition to learn smoke, purchase it and use it for my work, but it will be cool to demonstrate the power of hackintosh, thanx to this wonderful community.
And honestly I was always more of Avid DS fun for finishing :)

GREAT!!!!
Just Do It!
:blink:

cowjam

cowjam

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
Sampledi...

Works like a charm. Thank you!

I'm surprised how fast it runs on my quad core.

Keep us updated on your progress. Also, need to ask you a question offline...

sampledi

sampledi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Of course it is working :)
Now, for some ethernet cards Universal Installer Time Machine Fix will not work. For those, here are the basic steps:
- You have to use retail install with Chameleon 2, RC3 or 4
- In your /Extra/Extensions folder you should have com.apple.Boot.plist
- Open that plist file with text editor and add the string for device properties generation
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>yes</string>

- Save/Overwrite the file
- Go to /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration and delete NetworkInterfaces.plist
- Reboot and you should have HostID now

I forgot couple of things:
- Audio output is only possible with AJA for now. In next release they should enable core audio too. I don't have Kona 3 so it would be great if somebody who have access to the card, can test that part on retail Hackintosh
- For full user experience you have to use 1920x1200 display. All of my displays are 24'' 1920x1080, so on some modules small/tiny part of interface is not visible. Not a big deal but 1920x1200 is better

For users in Europe (where Hackintosh can not be considered Illegal), this could be opportunity to build high-end post workstation for the budget that was a joke just year ago.

ignition333

ignition333

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I would be interested to hear if anyone had a smoke running on a hackintosh. The video card might be an issue, the smoke requires the video card to do a lot of heavy lifting. I remember when the smoke would only run on an SGI box...and you thought macs were pricey ;)

ignition333

ignition333

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Anyone have any screen shots of that smoke logo loading on their hackintosh?

I remember working at a Post House that had a Smoke and watching that smoke logo on load made you get all excited because you were working on a half million dollar system.

sampledi

sampledi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Here it is. Attached File  screen_smack.jpg   122.82KB   172 downloads

past21

past21

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Gr8 Work Man!!!!!
Really Gr8!

Well This is What i had got.(Can sm1 suggest what Graphic card should i use to run SMOKE)
OC is Welcome

Mobo:- ASUS z7s ws
Bios ver:- 0401 dt 22/07/2008
Processor:- Xeon 5450 x 2 (@3GHz)
Graphic Card:- Zotac GeForce 9400 GT 1GB DDR2 with HDMI Socket
RAM:- 2GB FB-DIMM REG ECC Transcend
Cabinet:- Cooler Master
Powersupply:- Cooler Master 900 Watts (ULTIMATE)
HDD:- SCSI Adapter 32 bit Segate 70 GB
AND
HDD:- SATA 500 GB Seagate
DVD:- IDE Sony
Audio Card:-MIO Asus Onboard realtek 888S 8 channel HD Audio Codec
Monitor:- LG Flatron L1720B
:- LG Widescreen
Ethernet:-2 x Marvell 88E8056 Gigabit
1394:- VIQ 6308S 2 x 1394a
USB:- 8 ports 2.0
Had Sucessfully Installed Leo4All
Help will be Appreciated
Regards

PAst21

Coi

Coi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
the system requirements says you need a 1920x1200 display...

anyone tried on a 1920x1080 display? any trouble with the interface? displays properly?

Thanks!

- For full user experience you have to use 1920x1200 display. All of my displays are 24'' 1920x1080, so on some modules small/tiny part of interface is not visible. Not a big deal but 1920x1200 is better

could you upload a screenshot of the interface? to see what modules are missing, please =)!

sampledi

sampledi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
I would have to upload a lot of screenshots, because interface is different from module to module ^_^ .... Anyway nothing is missing on 1920x1080 display. Couple of buttons are a bit cutted off but nothing crucial.

past21

past21

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Well Can some1 help me out? my specz are given above
had Successfully installed RH 4 WS but not finding the Linux drivers for my Graphic card(its asking for 64 bit)
where can i find that ?

Coi

Coi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

I would have to upload a lot of screenshots, because interface is different from module to module :) .... Anyway nothing is missing on 1920x1080 display. Couple of buttons are a bit cutted off but nothing crucial.

ok, thank you :) !!!
1 or 2 screenshots is fine, is just for see what im missing...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   Web hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy