Autodesk Smoke on Mac

cowjam

40 posts in this topic

Well, apparently it will run on a laptop too! :)

I can install the app, but when I try to run GetDLHostID to generate the trial license, it can't get the info for the HD.

Can someone try this? Just want to see if it's my system or if it is the fact that it's a Hackintosh.

Thanks Sampledi.

I can install the ap but when I try to run dlgethostid to generate the trail license, it returns this:

Error: Disk drive failed to return data

***Error: Unable to determine the host ID of this machine.

I'm thinking it has something to do with smbios or fakesmc. What install method did you use to get osx 10.6.2 running on your rig?

- Retail 10.6 restored to USB

- Completely new rig, installed from scratch.... even didn't have time to create DSDT.aml for that one

Your error does not have anything with smbios or fakesmc. You'll need a string for your ethernet card, in your smbios.plist, in order to get LMHOSTID to work.

You don't have to edit smbios manualy. Just go to PCWiz page and download Universal OSx86 Installer (for example...there are other ways too):

www.######.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=category&sectionid=5&id=21&Itemid=48

When you run Installer you'll see the option "Apply Ethernet EFI String (Time Machine Fix)". Check that box. Make sure that you have selected your system hard drive at the top drop down menu. Click install, reboot, and you are ready to go. Very straight forward.

During next couple of weeks I will build new i7 rig, and that will be the chance to do small experiment. A bunch of new hardware is purchased and coming every day, and the goal will be to be "all green" in Autodesk Qualification Report. That will include moding 8800 gtx to quadro 5600, external raid, etc, etc. I'll do it for fun, just to see Smoke completely "supported" on hack :(.

Currently I don't have any ambition to learn smoke, purchase it and use it for my work, but it will be cool to demonstrate the power of hackintosh, thanx to this wonderful community.

And honestly I was always more of Avid DS fun for finishing :)

You don't have to edit smbios manualy. Just go to PCWiz page and download Universal OSx86 Installer (for example...there are other ways too):

www.######.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=category&sectionid=5&id=21&Itemid=48

When you run Installer you'll see the option "Apply Ethernet EFI String (Time Machine Fix)". Check that box. Make sure that you have selected your system hard drive at the top drop down menu. Click install, reboot, and you are ready to go. Very straight forward.

During next couple of weeks I will build new i7 rig, and that will be the chance to do small experiment. A bunch of new hardware is purchased and coming every day, and the goal will be to be "all green" in Autodesk Qualification Report. That will include moding 8800 gtx to quadro 5600, external raid, etc, etc. I'll do it for fun, just to see Smoke completely "supported" on hack :D.

Currently I don't have any ambition to learn smoke, purchase it and use it for my work, but it will be cool to demonstrate the power of hackintosh, thanx to this wonderful community.

And honestly I was always more of Avid DS fun for finishing :)

GREAT!!!!

Just Do It!

:blink:

Of course it is working :)

Now, for some ethernet cards Universal Installer Time Machine Fix will not work. For those, here are the basic steps:

- You have to use retail install with Chameleon 2, RC3 or 4

- In your /Extra/Extensions folder you should have com.apple.Boot.plist

- Open that plist file with text editor and add the string for device properties generation

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>

<string>yes</string>

- Save/Overwrite the file

- Go to /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration and delete NetworkInterfaces.plist

- Reboot and you should have HostID now

I forgot couple of things:

- Audio output is only possible with AJA for now. In next release they should enable core audio too. I don't have Kona 3 so it would be great if somebody who have access to the card, can test that part on retail Hackintosh

- For full user experience you have to use 1920x1200 display. All of my displays are 24'' 1920x1080, so on some modules small/tiny part of interface is not visible. Not a big deal but 1920x1200 is better

For users in Europe (where Hackintosh can not be considered Illegal), this could be opportunity to build high-end post workstation for the budget that was a joke just year ago.

I would be interested to hear if anyone had a smoke running on a hackintosh. The video card might be an issue, the smoke requires the video card to do a lot of heavy lifting. I remember when the smoke would only run on an SGI box...and you thought macs were pricey ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Gr8 Work Man!!!!!

Really Gr8!

Well This is What i had got.(Can sm1 suggest what Graphic card should i use to run SMOKE)

OC is Welcome

Mobo:- ASUS z7s ws

Bios ver:- 0401 dt 22/07/2008

Processor:- Xeon 5450 x 2 (@3GHz)

Graphic Card:- Zotac GeForce 9400 GT 1GB DDR2 with HDMI Socket

RAM:- 2GB FB-DIMM REG ECC Transcend

Cabinet:- Cooler Master

Powersupply:- Cooler Master 900 Watts (ULTIMATE)

HDD:- SCSI Adapter 32 bit Segate 70 GB

AND

HDD:- SATA 500 GB Seagate

DVD:- IDE Sony

Audio Card:-MIO Asus Onboard realtek 888S 8 channel HD Audio Codec

Monitor:- LG Flatron L1720B

:- LG Widescreen

Ethernet:-2 x Marvell 88E8056 Gigabit

1394:- VIQ 6308S 2 x 1394a

USB:- 8 ports 2.0

Had Sucessfully Installed Leo4All

Help will be Appreciated

Regards

PAst21

the system requirements says you need a 1920x1200 display...

anyone tried on a 1920x1080 display? any trouble with the interface? displays properly?

Thanks!

- For full user experience you have to use 1920x1200 display. All of my displays are 24'' 1920x1080, so on some modules small/tiny part of interface is not visible. Not a big deal but 1920x1200 is better

could you upload a screenshot of the interface? to see what modules are missing, please =)!

I would have to upload a lot of screenshots, because interface is different from module to module :) .... Anyway nothing is missing on 1920x1080 display. Couple of buttons are a bit cutted off but nothing crucial.

ok, thank you :) !!!

1 or 2 screenshots is fine, is just for see what im missing...

I have tried the pcwiz installer and also that other method by adding the string to plist

when i run get ost id i get Error getting host ID

Executing: dlhostid

SetWorkingDir: /Applications/Autodesk/Smoke 2010/Utilities/GetDLHostID.app/Contents/Resources/

Executing: ./dlhostid

dlhostid (build 173) - Copyright © 2005 by Autodesk, Inc./Autodesk Canada Co. All rights reserved.

Error: Disk drive failed to return data

***Error: Unable to determine the host ID of this machine.

Error: Unable to execute ./dlhostid

Error code: 1

hmm :(

i was able to successfully install Smoke on my Snow 10.6.2 (using Hazard's Distro) but when I launch Smoke 2010, it crashes saying "Application exited abnormally"

error log:

Jan 30 22:55:59 : Error acquiring host information for 111.125.234.153.dynamic-mumbai.nivyah.com: Unknown host.

Jan 30 22:55:59 : No servers are available for this framestore client.

Jan 30 22:55:59 : Error acquiring host information for 111.125.234.153.dynamic-mumbai.nivyah.com: Unknown host.

Jan 30 22:55:59 : Error initializing the framestore map; Please check sw_probed.

Jan 30 22:55:59 : Error - Cannot connect to Wire filesystem. at line 578, in /view/ta_NewYork_DLtools_MACOSX64_106/vobs/develop/src/libframestore/wireDevice.C

Jan 30 22:55:59 : ERROR: Failed to initialize Stone+Wire connection

Jan 30 22:55:59 : METADATA: Cannot find metadata for invalid framestore ID (0).

Jan 30 22:55:59 :

Jan 30 22:55:59 : ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jan 30 22:55:59 : ERROR: SECURITY : Temporary licence error.

Jan 30 22:55:59 : SECURITY : Temporary licence error.

Jan 30 22:55:59 : Closing and flushing logs.

Jan 30 22:55:59 : Closing and flushing logs.

Jan 30 22:55:59 : Uninitialising thread manager.

MY SPECS:

C2D E6750 2.66ghz

Intel DG33FB

Palit GTS250 512mb

250gb + 1tb HDD

1+2 gb ram

plz help, thx!

• 1 month later...
i was able to successfully install Smoke on my Snow 10.6.2 (using Hazard's Distro) but when I launch Smoke 2010, it crashes saying "Application exited abnormally"

error log:

MY SPECS:

C2D E6750 2.66ghz

Intel DG33FB

Palit GTS250 512mb

250gb + 1tb HDD

1+2 gb ram

plz help, thx!

Is your Ethernet lan working? It clearly says it in what you posted... not being able to make a connection with the host server