bootup gives hard drive icon?

5 posts in this topic

Well, I really hate this one, recently I downloaded a lot of Torrent Files from the net, and after installing and checking the files I downloaded, I decided to restart the computer(iMac) the next thing I know I am getting a Hard Drive icon with the words Macintosh and requesting I point and click the hard drive to continue to boot up the computer, Problem is I have a wireless key board and mouse, and had to resort using an old USB mouse each and everytime I reboot, since the icon contiues to appear interupting the boot, I even selected MacOSX as my bootup OS with-in the OS, but again each time I boot up, I get the same icon, as if I have Boot Camp installed, which I don't, So the question is could I have picked up a Virus/Trojan, should I just wipe out the hard drive and reinstall the OS, or does some one have a simplier solution to this??

What you could try is resetting the pram

apple+alt+p+r (chime comes up several times until you release the keys)

do not know if intel macs have nvram as well

apple+alt+n+v

reset-nvram

set-defaults

reset-all

well, I finally gave up and decided to do a complete recovery, if something affected the bootup, what else could be affected? this was very strange, by all accounts it sounds like a trojan, I know at one time when it first came out I tried BootCamp, but later removed it from my system, maybe BootCamp had something to do with this later down in time? Thanks to all that responded to the post, if someone were to read this post and think they have a logical answer to this, please enlighten me by sending a personal message, again, Thanks all....