The Ultimate Web Browser

Swad

461 posts in this topic

Firefox or opera 9.0 beta 2 most definately. Opera has so many features that other browsers dont have, its fast, and secure, and quite nice looking. Firefox is the originator, the first browser to really kick ie's ass and netscape navagators too. It is the new standard for how a web browser should be.

bwhsh8r

Metrogirl... I'm... stunned... :)

LOL! :( Something that accurately displays HTML without extra frills and features which I'll probably never use is the Ultimate Web Browser for me!

LOL! :P Something that accurately displays HTML without extra frills and features which I'll probably never use is the Ultimate Web Browser for me!

I don't know about that.. I have some issues with how IE likes to display css.

i dont need extensions i dont need nothing.

just give me the address bar and a google searchbar and im set.

for that reason SAFARI rocks

same with me. I never use extensions. All I need is the address bar, the google search bar, and a pop-up blocker. Safari has all of that built in. For me, it couldn't get any better.

Guest FlyboyArt

I've moved back from a stint (work related) in PC-land (actually, it's been 20 years!) and have used FireFox over on the 'dark side' since dirt was new. After getting a new Intel iMac I tried Safari and it's OK for a built-in/checkbox/freebie from Apple however FireFox still is a lot better (extensions, etc). I tried the new Opera 9.0 and it's nice too and has really good standards support but the browser I'm really happy with is OmniWeb 5.5. I've been using it for the past month or so and find it does everything well (I'm using the Intel/Universal Beta version) and smokes! Whichever you prefer, I think it's great to have such a selection of fantastic, free browsers to use and I hope they all keep at it hot-n-heavy to try and outdo each other!

-Art in Florida

I like Safari's built-in spell-checker. I think above all, that's the feature I like most. (Set "Check Spelling as you type" in the Edit menu under Spelling.) I also like the endless cascade of ways I can sort my bookmarks, that's nice too. Tabbed browsing in Safari is nice and intuitive (albeit off by default, the bastards.)

I have used Camino, Safari, FF, and Opera in OSX. Overall I like Safari the best. Text looks better than any other and the pages just look better to my eye. Most of the time Safari is also faster; except when it decides to use over 2 GB of virtual memory.

I feel that Camino and FF are about the same in speed and stuff. I don't really care at all about the great extensions that FF has since I don't even know or care what an extension is! I think they are both fine browsers, I just like the way webpages look on Safari - except for the stupid brushed metal title bar.

The new version of Opera is cool with all the widgets and stuff, but it seems to be pretty unreliable. Wierd stuff just seems to happen, tough to explain. I use Opera mainly for the widgets - calculator, weather and pandora - and also when something in Safari doesn't work right.

My vote is obviously for Safari, but it'd be nice to have widgets and better memory management.

Windows Internet Explorer 7 Beta 3 is the best of all times.

1. Tabbed browsing. Click the new tab button to make a new tab, and drag and drop the tabs to move them around and easily close them. FireFox has tabs too, but are more difficult. IE has a quick view, allowing a page view to see all the pages in your tabs. FireFox doesn't have that.

2. Built in RSS reader. My favourite. It shows when there is an available feed(s) and updates them when you specifiy it to. You can even subscribe (add it to the RSS favourites) so you can read them anytime. Even check on your gmail RSS feed to see your mail! FireFox doesn't have that. Safari has a RSS reader too.

3. Favourites centre. One menu with tabs that allow you to see your web favourites, RSS feeds, or history. Marked with a nice gold star.

4. Easy web clean-up. Go into internet properties and then you can delete your history, cookies, temp internet files, passwords, and forms all at the same time.

5. Phishing filter. I don't know if any browser has that feature. Tells you if a site is suspicicous and allows to report weather not not it is.

6. Built in search engine. Like FireFox and safari, has a built in search bar. Add as many engine as you like and even write your own! MSN (*{censored}*) is the deafault but you may add Google or anything in there and then select the engine you want to use from a list.

There are many other features but these are the best.

The fact is I don't want or need a whole bunch of features. I don't want streaming video, RSS or subscriptions. I don't use a browser for newsgroups, ftp, filesharing, chat, IM or POP mail. Just good old http/s. IE works with all the sites I use and contrary to popular myth, it doesn't crash, at least doing what I do.

Metrogirl, I go along until here. I like your attitude towards this bloating mumbo-jumbo....

Microsoft may have a bad press on this one, but if you want a good basic browser and don't plan on visiting sites which are likely to try screwing you, IE is just fine.

Except for the rendering of plain HTML and XHTML/CSS.

IE just is too backward to understand standards code, since it is not developed any longer since 2002.

Microsoft claimes that IE supports CSS v.2, but in reality it comes down to supporting a tiny subset of CSS version2.

Even the new IE 7 has a problem with standards code, despite of all the non-features I 'm not really waiting for.

Just check this website in your IE browser, and then check again with Safari, Opera & Mozilla to see what I mean.

Trav1085 said:

"5. Phishing filter. I don't know if any browser has that feature. Tells you if a site is suspicicous and allows to report weather not not it is."

Yes, Trav off course this exits. It is a very well known Mozilla plugin for some years now. "PageInfo" in Camino does the same thing.

Cheers, Solaris Bob

I heard that the Internet Explorer has no full Flash functionality anymore...

Due to some lawyers, you will have to activate active content in the IE each time, until

Flash will be displayed properly. Can s.o. confirm that?

Safari, Internet explorer, and any other browser for os x crashes big time when browsing ebay and myspace.

I have found using Firefox does not crash but every once in a while when browsing both sites.

Firefox is slower then Safari, but what can you do.

Anyone else experience problems on osx when browsing myspace and ebay?

Safari, Internet explorer, and any other browser for os x crashes big time when browsing ebay and myspace.

I have found using Firefox does not crash but every once in a while when browsing both sites.

Firefox is slower then Safari, but what can you do.

Anyone else experience problems on osx when browsing myspace and ebay?

Problems with neither. I don't punish myself often by visiting MySpace, but I eBay quite a bit with never a problem. Safari here.

I didn't realize the Safari/Shiira used khtml until BRP mentioned it. Just look at this side by side comparison of khtml vs gecko (notice the text quality).

Shiira on left, Camino on the right.

shiira7tl.th.pngcamino7oc.th.png

My Safari looks a lot better than both of those.

post-20101-1152837912_thumb.jpg

How do you define "best" ?

Do you mean fastest? if so, that would be IE or Opera - Being integrated into the OS has its benefits, & FF devs have admintted that Opera is faster.

If you mean most secure, then have you considered lynx? Text-only is extremely secure for the most part. Though, safari and camino can be considered extremely safe, if only because there are not many browser exploits for them, or exploits for OSX in general.

If you mean easy to use, then it can be any web browser - they all have the same keyboard shortcuts, and for the most part, default location of various features.

If you want what looks the best, then by Default, its probably Safari, but Firefox's theme's will take the lead after customization is taken into consideration - suppose you could include Mozilla, Camino, and Seamonkey into this as well as they're basically the same.

If you mean having the most features, then by default, Opera is the best - but firefox can come in and win with its extensions.

If you define being the best as being the most popular, then IE is still the best, though if you take away the general public, among geeks, its' probably split between IE, Gecko-based Browsers, and Opera.

If you want most interoperability with media functions, then, any browser - thats not text based - works fine, assuming you have the necessary codec's installed.

I've got no idea if i just resaid what was already said or not - i dont feel like reading 7 pages of posts - i barely made it through Mash's original post on this topic :)

I didn't realize the Safari/Shiira used khtml until BRP mentioned it. Just look at this side by side comparison of khtml vs gecko (notice the text quality).

Shiira on left, Camino on the right.

My Safari looks a lot better than both of those.

Actually, Shiira and Camino use Gecko and are a good example of how to use the engine properly. Firefox... well, it just KILLS the speed Gecko could give it. (However, let it be known that the only alternative Mac browser I use is iCab, I never really tried the others).

Safari uses a KHTML-derived engine (WebCore), Konqueror uses KHTML (and benefits from some Apple patches), and a few native browsers for alternative OS's use KHTML as well. Why? Well, I've heard it's lightweight and has clean code. Back in 2002 when Apple was deciding this, Gecko had neither of these features. Once it's using Cairo (basically, "nice output" is all you need to know), though, it's going to be a little closer to what Apple wanted out of a layout engine back then. Little late, but not on the wrong track for sure.