• Please log in to reply
457 replies to this topic

John the Geek

John the Geek

When the going gets geeky...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • Interests:Painting, animation, photography, Macs.

• Problems/Wanted Additions: (With Safari)
- Should view PDF's natively with Preview integration. Adobe Acrobat is slow and prone to crashing Safari.

Safari alread does this, unless your Acrobat plug-in is overriding it?

- Should allow the user to to have the cookies deleted everytime Safari quits. (Natively without a plugin)

Don't know about deleting, but it won't save them if Private Browsing is checked.

I use Safari. I just like it, the way it renders.

I hate FireFoxes HTML form elements. Same with EI, I like how Safari uses Aqua lists and buttons.

I don't use the web in Windows, but on the odd occasion I do have to- I use whatever is around, usually IE... then I wash my hands.

=)

KTC

KTC

InsanelyMac Sage

• Donators
  • 273 posts
Windoze : Firefox
OSX : Firefox
Solaris SPARC : Firefox
Solaris X86 : Firefox
HP-UX : Firefox

Mr. Bond

Mr. Bond

The man with the golden gun.

• Retired
  • 881 posts

Konqueror, Opera, Safari, w3m, IE in that order.

I definetly like using Konquerer when in KDE. Since it's already integrated, it sure loads a hell of a lot faster than Mozilla.

Also, interesting article comparing the Pros and Cons of Firefox/Opera can be found here. (Yeah, I got that off of digg. Interesting, nonetheless :()

Guest: Guest_*

• Guests
Safari all the way.. It's open source enoug (Webkit), fast as hell, and does everything I want it to do.. Firefox is a close second.. but it's long(er) load time, slightly slower page loading, and slight clunkiness (to me anyways) always push me back to safari.

randomblame

randomblame

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
firefox for life

tabbed browsing stable wonderful

safari = yuck, why the hell did apple decide to make the window so small default anyways I shouldnt have to get a plugin to make it better

IE = {censored}, buggy no cool features prone to security threats

DCosta

DCosta

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
OS X: Firefox
Winblows: Firefox
Linux: Firefox

Why FX all the way around for me? It's fast. The only lag problem I ever have with FX is the initial startup, but after that, it's smooth sailing. With IE, you get all of the security holes and crashed that Microshaft give you, and Safari just doesn't cut it, with poor jscript processing and graphics rendering. FX also has some graphical problems, but it's best for a developer. I say this because, if you can get a site PERFECTO in FX, it'll look perfect in any browser.

Plus, FX ties into OS X best as far as looks go when you install the UNO theme. It does a better job at this than even Safari. :)

UNO theme: http://takebacktheweb.org/
this isn't the entire OS themer, just the FX theme.

John the Geek

John the Geek

When the going gets geeky...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • Interests:Painting, animation, photography, Macs.

safari = yuck, why the hell did apple decide to make the window so small default anyways I shouldnt have to get a plugin to make it better

Resize the window. Grab your mouse, place it over the bottom right corner of the window, and click. Hold it down as you move your mouse to make the small window BIGGER. No plugin required!

Then you can have a cookie!

amdprophet

amdprophet

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
For anyone that uses IE. Try going to a crack, serial, or warez related site that isn't one of the big ones. You'll find spyware gets to your system even with IE7. Then clean your system from the spyware, and try it on Firefox. Notice how you don't get spyware. :)

Guest: Mac Citizen_*

Guest: Mac Citizen_*
  • Guests

Hey guys,

(#1) OSX = Safari
• Comments:
Safari rocks - I'd say it is the best for OSX. A very, very, very close second would be Opera, I'll explain why its second below. Safari is stable; slick; and supports everything the average user needs to surf the internet quickly. I've experienced *minimal* problems at best using Safari in browsing web pages.

• Problems/Wanted Additions: (With Safari)
- Should view PDF's natively with Preview integration. Adobe Acrobat is slow and prone to crashing Safari.
- Should remember open tabs and be able to completely recover from freeze. (Natively without a plugin)
- Should give more options than just Google in the search box. Like Dictionary etc... (Natively without a plugin)
- Should allow the user to to have the cookies deleted everytime Safari quits. (Natively without a plugin)
- Should allow movement of the tabs, effect should be modeled after Adium's chatbox. (Natively without a plugin)

(#2) OSX = Opera 9
• Comments:
Opera is a really nice web browser. There is just one thing that makes it #2 and why I don't use it. The Tab bar is above the address bar - when it should be below the address bar like it is in every other browser out there. If there was a plugin that would allow that - then I'd be all over Opera.

------------------------

Which browser is overall the best? Well for OSX, that could very well technically be Opera. Second would be Safari. I don't know why everyone is claiming Camino and all the others are "faster" and "better" than Safari. I have *actual* data to backup this conclusion that Opera would probable be #1 and Safari #2. Do a good search with the terms: "OS X Browser Comparison" - select the second webpage found. Graphical view will clearly show that the Mozilla browsers (all of them), are beaten by Safari in almost every field.

Well you convinced me. I'm now using a combination of Safari & Opera; FireFox and most of the rest just :angel: compared to Safari & Opera.

naquaada

naquaada

Gates crusher

• Donators
  • 267 posts
  • Interests:Audio editing, Commodore computers
I tested a lot of browsers: Windows Internet Exploder 5 & 6, Firefox, Opera and on MacOS Safari, Firefox, Camino and iCab. But I found no one better that the good old Netscape!
Windows' Internet Exploder may be the compatiblest, but is so 'infective', it loaded me over 180 virus files in the cache, even through a firewall. Safari doesn't want to open the Netscape-WebMail-Site, some other things won't work, too. Camino has no big differences to Firefox, and Firefox is not as configurable as Netscape. iCab fell out very early, also Opera.
I'm using Netscape 7.1 on Windows for years and Netscape 7.2 on MacOS. Interesting: The integrated browser in Solaris 10 is a 1:1-implementation of Netscape 7 with it's mail-client! This should prove that Netscape's a very safe and stable browser. I never had problems with it. Some sites will make problems, too, but every browser has it faults. I never got a virus or something through it.
What's wondering me: Much people don't say anything good about Netscape, but they are pleased by Firefox and it's external Thunderbird eMail Client - and that is the one Netscape has integrated since Version 4! Firefox also uses the Mozilla engine, Camino the Gecko rendering technology - Netscape does this for long. But Netscape is much more configurable than all other browsers. In no other browser I tested you can f.e. set the last visited page is the default page. Netscape also allows to direct paths for caches and mail data. Tabbed browsing and something is available since Version 6.
To say it short: Netscape 7 is a one-file-package of a very configurable Mozilla-based browser, the Thunderbird Mail-Client, a WYSIWYG HTML-Editor, the (unneccessary) AOL Messenger and an easy ICQ Client. Who hasn't found the right browser yet, test it.

GreetinX from the other Side!

wayneoats

wayneoats

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Interests:Computers are my life enough said.

amdprophet Posted Yesterday, 08:36 PM
For anyone that uses IE. Try going to a crack, serial, or warez related site that isn't one of the big ones. You'll find spyware gets to your system even with IE7. Then clean your system from the spyware, and try it on Firefox. Notice how you don't get spyware. :angel:

That is very true

ozzie123

ozzie123

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
For me? Nothing beats Opera 9 ;-). Sure they are not opensource and it's very limited from outside customization but hey, do I really have the time to customize the browser?

Opera suits just fine for me (and yeah, they're free too!). It's like having Firefox with a different rendering engine and none of the memory leak.

jackt283

jackt283

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts
I use Camino for Web Browsing (because when you maximise it actually fills the screen instead of leaving a four inch bar to your right like firefox and safari). Firefox is an awesome web designers resource, so I use it for work. IE on windows NEEDS to be used for work as about 83% of people use it. Safari, well it's a bit of a joke. And Opera, Opera is for posh people. To tell you the truth, on Mac OS it has awful, awful GUI, so I use it for testing purposes only.

kevin_4e

kevin_4e

Retired InsanelyMac Legend

• Retired
  • 842 posts
I was a long time windows user and nothing sucked more than IE and that's what forced me to use FireFox as my default browser. The customization is great and I believe the speed of it wasn't bad. Now that I have my first Mac, I had both Safari and FireFox. I used firefox a little but found safari to be so much faster and better put together. I went ahead and got rid of firefox because of the lack of use, but i'm going to have to give opera a try and see how that goes.

nextstep

nextstep

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Soon Firefox will have Camino GUI(cocoa GUI) and will overtake camino and Safari.

I currently was using Camino, but since there are no extensions I am going to Firefox.

OS X - Firefox, with Safari as second.
Windows - Firefox

Will someone please make a Safari-tab. Similar to IE-Tab on windows. THat way I can use Safari from within Firefox.

Thangsang

Thangsang

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Camino Cruises on Mac

Firefox sets afire the Windows World.

I am in for both the worlds with these two.

Hexley

Hexley

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I think you are missing some of the options Safari has... such as the PDF rendering with Preview and the option to open windows and tabs in such an accurate mannar that beat FireFox, Opera, and the rest of the browsers.
Take a look at all Safari preferences.
Then the ability to decompress and open archives automatically and put the files on the desktop. The integrations with .Mac and the ability to synchronize all the labels with other Macs on the internet or in the LAN.
The easiest and coolest way to manage and read RSS feed. The ability to download single component of HTML pages without looking at the page but scrolling from the elements loaded by the browser. (I use this basically for saving flash videos from YouTube)
And the keyboard shortcuts are also great, you can press command+2 for opening the second preferred label on your Safari bar.
Now I don't remember any other feature... oh yes the SnapBack button that let you retur with one click on the home page of a site you are visiting without pressing the "back" button 5000 times

linkboy

linkboy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
For me, Firefox is my browser.

It all comes down to one simple reason, I need the IGNBQ extension.

IGN is the main message board that I post at and I need that extension.

I'd switch to Camino in a heartbeat if it was able to use Firefox extensions.

Mr. Bond

Mr. Bond

The man with the golden gun.

• Retired
  • 881 posts

For anyone that uses IE. Try going to a crack, serial, or warez related site that isn't one of the big ones. You'll find spyware gets to your system even with IE7. Then clean your system from the spyware, and try it on Firefox. Notice how you don't get spyware. ;)

So true, amdprophet. Or even better...don't use windows!

I try to stay off windows whenever downloading/searching for "questionable" things. I'll just use Linux. :(

• Guests

Soon Firefox will have Camino GUI(cocoa GUI) and will overtake camino and Safari.

I currently was using Camino, but since there are no extensions I am going to Firefox.

OS X - Firefox, with Safari as second.
Windows - Firefox

Will someone please make a Safari-tab. Similar to IE-Tab on windows. THat way I can use Safari from within Firefox.

I've been a Firefox user for a while now both on my Intel Mac and G4. I have to say that Camino is worth a shot. While it doesn't have the extensions that Firefox does, it has been a lot faster for me on both systems. So my top two votes for best browser are Camino & Firefox. Safari just leaves me open in the wild.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy