The Ultimate Web Browser

Swad

461 posts in this topic

FireFox 3 for obvious reasons... nothing compares, oh and the plugins available on customizations available are endless.

besure to add the plugins

TabMix Plus

SEOFire

RoboForm

TamperData

I don't know why but I prefer Safari over Firefox 3. Safari feels more for the Mac than Firefox 3, even now that Firefox 3 is using the default Leopard theme. I really can't stand Firefox, call me whatever you want, but I am a truly Safari fan :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

There isn't an ultimate web browser yet. Firefox holds strenght in it's extensability, but the gecko engine is kinda crappy. Safari holds strength in it's user of the webkit engine, but is full of security holes and has virtually no customisation. Opera... oh my, a really aweful browser, the vista of Browsers you could say. It is undoubtably fast but is full of unnecesary {censored} and bloat. Chrome can only go up, it's fast, it will most likely have extensions in the future and most importantly, it's google. The brand will pull it up, and with Windows 8 being the first windows OS where IE won't be tied to the system, chrome could quickly overtake everyone in the market.

I use Firefox, but won't be completely happy with it until they open-source it.

For me it's also Firefox, I just can't get away from all these wonderful plugins (Being a developer I use Firebug a lot along with Stylish and Delicious and various other plugins). Also for those looking for a Safari Look try: http://www.takebacktheweb.org/ for some awesome Safari style FF3 themes. I'm using one right now and it's awesome...

The_Ultimate_Web_Browser___InsanelyMac_Forum.jpg

I keep trying Firefox, but it never suits me.

I, too, am a developer. Opera comes with everything I need while Firefox requires add-ons to meet the same functionality. Opera's developer tools has everything Firebug does... without requiring the add-on.

Firefox just feels clunky to me. What am I doing wrong?

I truly enjoy being able to emulate a text browser to see what web crawlers see. Oh, and did I mention without an add-on?

I like Opera, but, meh. Something about it bugs me. Firefox is nice, but I too feel like it is too clunky and big. Safari 3 is nice, but I have found my shangri-la in Safari 4 developer preview. It has the simplicity of safari 3 and the developer features I like in Opera. It also fits in perfectly to Leopard and feels light and quick.

I like Opera, but, meh. Something about it bugs me. Firefox is nice, but I too feel like it is too clunky and big. Safari 3 is nice, but I have found my shangri-la in Safari 4 developer preview. It has the simplicity of safari 3 and the developer features I like in Opera. It also fits in perfectly to Leopard and feels light and quick.

Yeah, Opera has a bit of a steep learning curve, if you can say that.  It's just totally different from any other browser.  And that can be (totally) annoying.

I might have to scope out Safari 4.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Well.. Opera is ultimate, especially 10

But it's too buggy on Mac - core graphics drawing and perfomance :P, especially 10

So, Safari4 is real solution for Mac, especially slow Mac's

BUT I really miss Opera Notes and Bookmarks synchronized via Opera Link

Is there any Safari FREE solutions like Opera Link?

Opera Link mainly syncs most Opera features and for Safari it'll be great to sync Biookmarks, Top Sites statistics and settings and may be smth like Opera Notes..

Depends which OS you're using.

For me, Opera on Windoze is epic. There is no other browser that can replace it: especially one available for the U3 system. I use U3 at every possible opportunity, and since Safari isn't available for it, Opera is the only alternative. Plus, I don't care enough to install it on my flash drive, because it will not show up in U3.

On Mac, Safari 4 beta. All the way. I don't care if Firefox steals every new feature in S4, Safari will always trump Firefox, the Mac Opera, and any other browsers. Ever.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, in my above post, I was hasty.

I still think that Opera is epic, but I was doing some research online, and I found some Safari skins for Firefox that are pretty good (experimental versions of the GrApple themes from takebacktheweb.org) for Windows. And after finding some other plugins, like the Fission loading bar for FF and another plugin which escapes my memory, I've made it have the looks of Safari and some of the cool things about Opera.

However, Opera still works snappier than FF, even when FF is installed locally and Opera is running from a flash drive.

And my Mac opinion still hasn't changed.

Firefox is my everyday browser, early days Netscape :D

xgestures for mosue gestures

Wow, cool idea, didn't even know about such tools! Trying gestures plugin for Firefox right now.

• 3 months later...

Firefox. I've spent so much time tuning it and adding extensions, that I've achieved the Zen of browsing for my own tastes, and I doubt I could switch to another browser. Safari is full of security holes from what I can see. Both Safari and IE are proprietary, lack anything near the flexibility of Firefox through about:config and extensions, and are slower (at least in "feel", for me) -- and aren't even available natively for GNU+Linux. Opera is decent, but also proprietary.

I love the idea of uzbl, but it's not as fast or pimped-out as my Firefox.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
I've used FF since 2004, and I will most likely never switch to anything else.

Truth be told, you cannot customize any other browser to the likes of what one can do with FireFox.

Did I say that? My god, has time changed. Opera now has the honor of being my favorite.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...