Port a Windows Mobile app to iPhone

larryo108

4 posts in this topic

I am looking to purchase an iPhone in the very near future. I am moving from a Palm Treo. While I am certainly looking forward to the new phone, I do enjoy how my Treo is a workhorse. It does everything I want it to. I am a big fan of convergance and have been able to use my Treo for phone, e-mail, text, an occassional internet search, navigation (via TomTom), and being able to read my Check Engine Light on my car. The iPhone will be able to do all of this. However, I really do not want to purchase a new OBD scanner and software. I have already doen that once and it is quite an investment. I have acurrent OBD scanner that communicates via BT.

All of that lead-in will bring me to this. The current software I use has been developed for Palm and Windows Mobile platforms. I have the source code for both. The software is free and I am allowed to modify and redistribute. I am getting to my question.

Is there anyway to take either the Palm or the Windows Mobile source code and develop an iPhone app with it? If so, is there a tutorial or could I get some direction on how to do this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

its not as simple as that...

Out of curiosity, what language is it written in?

the iPhone uses Objective-C...

You would essentially have to rewrite the app yourself, as the screen res, language, classes, and nibs would probably be wrong...

So, no, there is no tutorial for you, you would have to learn objective c and whatever the current prog is written it, and write the new app from almost scratch... some code MAY be compatible if the language is right

Thank you gentleman. I was able to reach the software developer and have learned exactly what you have noted. Although, I did not know that the iPhone did not allow BT serial protocols. That is kind of annoying. Essentially it sounds as though, even if I could get the software, I would still need wifi to communicate and therefore new hardware. Thank you both for your replies.