Quality of a Hackntosh vs an Intel Mac

47 posts in this topic

Well unless Maxxuss comes back or Apple does license OS X for PCs, I think we're going to be stuck with 10.4.

Not sure I agree.

Right now, the hack community is small for OSX x 86 mainly due to the MAC/APPLE line being iMACS, mini's and Mac Books.

Besides being somewhat overpriced and not slashing prices the way the PC market does when say for example INTEL/AMD cut prices on CPU's or RAM prices go down, (we are seeing a problem with QC on Apple hardware to boot), once the desktop motherboards come out the community should grow, perhaps even 10 fold.

I think Apple will put extra measures for making the os not running on vanilla pc's, but i am sure it can be bypassed as the hardware will be very close to plain pcs anyway.

And for the moment i feel my "hackintosh" is working better than the mbp's i have tried, only thing i miss is ac3/dts sound on my soundcard. But when the big macpros are coming with double dual core cpus and x1900 gfx, and i think apple will put the price tag to a very decent level compared to equal vanilla, i am sure you would be better off buying a real mac.

But I won't buy one because i like to hack a bit and there is no fun if it just works, and maybe get some time to learn to write mac drivers so someday i also can make my last piece of equipments fully working anyway.

Well unless Maxxuss comes back or Apple does license OS X for PCs, I think we're going to be stuck with 10.4.

I do not agree with this either. With or without Maxxuss, 10.5 betas should be getting hacked for at least four months before it is even public.

But when the big macpros are coming with double dual core cpus and x1900 gfx, and i think apple will put the price tag to a very decent level compared to equal vanilla, i am sure you would be better off buying a real mac.

Unless Apple releases a cheap (~$1299) Conroe-based mid-tower (and it might), Apple will have a gapping hole in its line-up between the Mac Mini and Mac Pro, as the iMac is a limited, niche product.

OSx86 fills this gap and then some. I expect lots of people here are going to build such Conroe boxes over the next six months. I will probably be one of them.

if they'd sell a motherboard that OS X will install on, and offer no support, they'd make a lot of money, and lose very little

It is simply not possible for a company like apple to offer something which would be very likely common without support.

Ok, think about it.. pay $600 for something illegal that has problems and isn't fully supported or get something legal that is fully supported.

The one main reason people run Mac OS X on their PCs is because they don't want to buy a Apple computer, not because they like to use a OS that can't be easily updated.

Ok, think about it.. pay $600 for something illegal that has problems and isn't fully supported or get something legal that is fully supported.

The one main reason people run Mac OS X on their PCs is because they don't want to buy a Apple computer, not because they like to use a OS that can't be easily updated.

Hmmm, not sure I follow this!

Anyway, I despise Apples targeting and marketing and will state it again and again.

MB $1099, white, for $200 more hey, I can get dual layer DVD and faster CPU (even though the CPU where slashed in half last month,) but wait, I can get a black one for $200 more, hmmm, but now I am only $500 away from a MBP so in essense, I will pay out the nose for a GMA non aperature compatible system (must have a dedicated GPU), or out the nose more for something that can be done with a hacked PC for 1/6th the price.

Hmmm, let me think! Now, where it the time where apple had decent QC that might be different but the whole line of products are either limited (MB no dedicated GPU, no PCMIA card slot, same as IMAC) or MBP which is way overpriced. $2700 for a 17" are you kidding me? For what, Firewire 800 speeds?

Even when they PowerBooks where $2000, I used to laugh and laugh everytime I saw a sweetwater ad (Music Company) that touted the PowerBook as a powerhouse and portable studio. Then of course, you have the MAC is faster than the PC only to humbly admit x86 was the way to go, then the smear capaigh became PC's are FREEEEEEEEE from their boring boxes, or their new add's.

Granted, Vista leaves little to be desired, has pops ups galore for safety issues and offers nothing even close for iLIFE, then again, on the PC side of things, there are millions of apps that the macs just don't have.

And both Jobs and Gates stole from XEROX so I don't want to hear it.

:(

• 3 weeks later...

Hackintosh all the way, only if you get the right hardware for it, still saves you tons in the long run. sometimes you get lucky with the hardware though, my amd64 laptop even though it is sse2 runs like a champ got my gfx at 1280x800 QE CI, sound, built in wifi and more.

Had a good record for uptime too untill i wiped osx to try vista, big mistake lol.

There's a youtube video comparing a hackingtosh with a real mac.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=AvlvWL3B6qM&search=osx86

PC wins.

Well, duh? Thats a PowerPC Mac... :compress:

A real Mac for me. I'm saving money for a iMac 17". Don't want a Hacintosh anymore, I want to be able to use everything, even sleepmode, install system updates normally, don't have to tweak everything until my hardware works etc... If Apple still was on PowerPC, I would have never decided to get one.

Maybe I'm the only one on this forum who actually went out and bought hardware for the specific purpose of building a "Hackintosh" (man, I hate that name).

I was originally planning to buy a Mac Mini, but I got frustrated when it ended up being over a grand configured the way I wanted it. This defeated the purpose of buying the Mini in the first place. I'm not paying $1000 for something that has absolutely no upgradability to speak of, and really in essence, it's just a bare-bones PC in Mac clothing. If the Mac Mini was right around $400, I would have had no problem throwing the money down on it.

So what do I do? I figure out a list of fully compatible hardware, and find out that I can build my own "Mac", for less than half the cost of a real one. For $350, I've got:

Intel 3.06 GHz Pentium 4 w/ Hyperthreading

Intel D915GAV motherboard

1 GB DDR 333 PC2700 SDRAM

160 GB Samsung SATA Hard Disk

NEC 16x D/L DVD-R/+R/RW

and a neat case.

$350

A "similarly" configured Mac Mini:

1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo

1 GB DDR667 SDRAM

120GB Hard Disk (biggest offered in the Mini)

SuperDrive

Really small case.

$1024

I mean come on. And the way I look at it, even if OSx86 becomes uncrackable (which I highly doubt), I still have a decent PC and it's far better than what I have now (look at my sig). As much as I'd hate for every {censored} and their brother to be running OS X, I'd be more than glad to pay $150 for a legal version of OSx86.

I can just hope the community grows and gets more experienced guys to help out with our cause.

I think it totally depend you are lucky or not. If you've got an unsupport PC hardwares, then you have trouble and search around and around.

Although I am using Haskntosh now, I will still consider an Intel Mac later maybe after WWDC.

I say go for the Hack to start out, and if you really like os X, which you probably will, buy Apple's hardware (I mean come on, their laptops are really, really nice after all and can now run all the other OSes out there). Think of it as an inexpensive trial offer.

I just got my ubuntu/vista/10.4.6 box up and running today after six months of research, procrastination and hunting for component deals. I pieced together an intel 945gcz/pentium D 2.8/1gb ram for around $250 with power supply, pioneer dvdrw and random {censored} used to build the case. The thing screams even with on-board video, "modest" ram, and an eide hard drive. I am very impressed with the speed and quality of my Hack's operating environment: it runs faster than my $2000 MBP.

Worst case scenario: Apple successfully blocks all future attempts at hacking updates and/or moves back to ppc architecture (yeah right!) and you have a relatively high-end, inexpensive machine to run linux on for the next six or seven years before it becomes obsolete.

Besides - shopping for specific motherboard model numbers and searching out ram deals is way more fun than going to the Apple store and dropping three grand... Come on!

You Know I have listened or rather read this "it's only a matter of time before the Hackintoshes stop working" {censored} until I just want to puke. These are people who own Mac's and have not tryed a hackintosh, because they are either afraid to try it, or just have no intention of ever trying it, or have attempted it and didn't have the know how to get theirs to work.

One in this forum, accused me of blind rage against Apple, when in fact they are the ones with the blinders on when it comes to the PC. I love the OS X operating system and have had my hackintosh up and working flawlessly now for over 6 months, never had one kernel Panic or shut-down.

As for the statement of messing with the kernel making it inherently unstable is true in any situtation, including the security updates you mac users download from the Apple site. It is the same thing, they are appling a patch to the original kernel. So the statement that my hacitosh running on a hacked kernel is more unstable than the Mac users downloading security updates and applying it to their kernel is a bunch of {censored}.

It is easier for me to dual or triple boot on my PC than it is to dual and triple boot on the Mac. I don't need Boot Camp, Vmware, or any other emulator to do it, just a simple patched kernel and some kexts and I have a fully functional laptop that I can boot into Windows any version I want, Linux also any vesion I want, or OS X so far any vesion since 10.4.3. We will have to see about 10.5, but I suspect we will be able to run it too. Here is my hacitosh benchmark, post yours and let's compare.

So stop all the bull about your mac being more stable than my hackintosh, it simply is not true once the tweaking is done. Just read and look at all the success stories that are just on this forum. Sure there are a lot still trying to get things to work, a lot of that is know-how, and a lot is just OS X's inherent hardware incompatability.

If when you are building or buying a computer to run with OS X, you just make sure the hardware you buy is compatible then the Operating system is very very stable, and I would venture to say mine is just as stable as your Mac.

I want to make a Hackintosh, but I don't want to loose too much time trying to install and customize.

So, I have about 600 euros, I have a keyboard, a mouse, a screen, an ethernet Realtek card, and I have 2 SATA disks. I also have 1Go RAM PC 3200.

I want to know what I must take to have the easiest installation possible. I don't want to buy an MacIntel because I had too many problems with Apple services. So I prefer my sailor here in my town.

So what should I buy to have a very compatible Hackintosh? I want the easiest, and if it's not so expensive, that's better. I am searching for the most compatible, so maybe I can take the same mobo and processors as the MacMini...

I need help to ask my sailor what I exactly want. I don't need a very speed computer.

Thank you!

i too bought my dell 5150 / 510 specifically for OS X86 -

this box is faster than it was with XP, never needs to be rebooted, and if i need windows, i run paralells.

supported or not - BIG DEAL!

how may Linux distros, are supported by nothing more than a forum like this one?

i'll take my chances with hackintosh and this community anyday!

I want to make a Hackintosh, but I don't want to loose too much time trying to install and customize.

So, I have about 600 euros, I have a keyboard, a mouse, a screen, an ethernet Realtek card, and I have 2 SATA disks. I also have 1Go RAM PC 3200.

I want to know what I must take to have the easiest installation possible. I don't want to buy an MacIntel because I had too many problems with Apple services. So I prefer my sailor here in my town.

So what should I buy to have a very compatible Hackintosh? I want the easiest, and if it's not so expensive, that's better. I am searching for the most compatible, so maybe I can take the same mobo and processors as the MacMini...

I need help to ask my sailor what I exactly want. I don't need a very speed computer.

Thank you!

If you have a DDR Memory, you might want to stick with Athlon64 because all the newer LGA775 boards only support DDR2. But then you only have Sata disks which are better off used with Intel chipsets. You will either buy a 915G board with DDR support or lose the DDR and buy DDR2 to use with 945G/P, 955/975 based motherboards which you can look for in the wiki so you can buy a dual core processor as well...

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

600 euro to spend

120 motherboard 945P/G

120 Pentium D 820

90 1GB DDR2-667 memory (minus your price for selling DDR memory)

220 X1800XT 256MB

Case and Power 50

DVD-RW 50

650 but you can chop off anything you might not like...

Great answers!

Thank you so much!!!

I will seel my DDR, no problem with this.

Can I have cheaper prices than 650 euros? But I want also a very compatible configuration also.

I think it's better for me to have an intel processor.

I'll ask my sailor tomorrow.

Thanks!