Quality of a Hackntosh vs an Intel Mac

47 posts in this topic

I switched to Macintosh about 6 years ago, and have loved everything except the customization. For so long I've wanted to custom build my own Mac, but never did due to the lack of compatible and readily accessible components. Now with the OSx86 I am debating whether to attempt to custom build a Mac. From your experiences, is it worth spending upwards of $600 to custom build a very good Hackntosh, or should I just continue buying Apple's computers. Have you guys noticed many problems with these Hackntosh computers? Is it fairly easy to install the updates? Will most Mac native programs run easily on it? Thank you so much for your help.

-Jason

If I were you, I'd get a real Mac. It's only a matter of time until the Hackintoshs stop working. At least if you get a real Mac, you don't have to worry about when the next update is going to be cracked.

it realy depends, at this point there is no intel apple pro desktop mac so i would say

if you don´t need

a) sleep mode

:hysterical: versions above 10.4.6 (nobody can tell if it will be possible or not)

c) faster graphics than the gma950 can offer (with add2 you got a vga+dvi dual display setup!)

d) more than 3,3 gb (intel 945 can´t handle more)

you should give it a try, the performance is pretty good, you can overclock your cpu, tune your system, use 4 sata and 2 ide drives.

but i would recommend to wait until the conroe/woodcrest arrives, i read that there will be mainboards with an advanced intel onboard graphic chip, maybe those are working but at this point there might also be an "real" apple desktop mac :angry:

imho you can fully work on a custom mac, there are some issues, thats true...onboard sound isn´t flawless on all boards, the solution (usb soundcard) is avaiable for about 10 euros..

sleep mode don´t work on the most hackintoshs afaik, but is it this important? The boot time on my hacki is around 25 seconds, i need this time to get in the right position on my desk.:D

The Gfx-speed isn´t an argument against hackintosh since x1600/1800 work flawless.(but problems with tv out/dvi)

i jumped from windows to osx 86 in the beginning of the year, without any knowless about mac osx. Now i have to say it was the right decision. I love my hackintosh....

but i even know my next computer i will buy will be a macBook(pro).

This decision i made, cause i need a laptop and still have no. and if i buy one, i want high quality without some issus, so it will be the original mac.

But in my office, i´ll use my custom Pc with Mac OS as long as possible..

everything works fantastic, and i saved a lot of money so far, which i´ll invest in the mobile computer (macbook) to get the big package of it...

cruise through the forums, read about the issus and u´ll find your answer soon i guess..

so long,

Codo

Speaking of asking dumb questions. Why is it that people dont know what Google is?

I talk to people every day with access to a computer that moment, who wonder why/how/where/when/who someone/something is. And they all just give up "Oh well, I guess no one knows". For Satan's sake, a computer is more than a word processor or a chatbox; It's instantaneous access to almost all human knowledge. Some of that information might be wrong, but at least it points you in the right direction.

Well, the Hackintosh OSX86 is inherently unstable because it involves patching the kernel. Now it's a pretty good patch and works for the most part, don't get me wrong. But it creates something that can cause major havoc later in the life of the computer (and Apple keeps releasing pesky updates that kill the patch).

So in other words get an Intel Mac.

Hey if you've got a bit of money, buy a Mac Book, and get a hackintosh : macbook ($1499) + Hackintosh ($600-$1000) = real apple intel support, power and less price than a damn apple pro desktop.

The whole hackintosh thing is quite fun, you'll get your fair share of problems, but it's fun to try and solve them all. Plus you get to build your own computer, which is heaps great too. Just wait until when you get it all working - you'll be damn happy with yourself.

As for stability, the system I have is about as stable as any mac ive ever used - if not more stable (I'm talking OS 9 and a g4 sawtooth). I've had a whopping four kernel panics since ive had it (three months) and they were all caused by either bad beta software (VLC) or messing with ram timings and kext files. I use this machine every day for work and (alot of) windows gaming. It goes hard all day long.

If you go the hack'd way make sure you do your research. I was looking around for about three months before I decided what to go on. I'm pretty sure I made a mistake with that motherboard.......

Intel macs are cool. But macs are generally uncool if you like to do things yourself. Apple thinks they do everything the best so they don't give you a choice.

Make the move your way. Think differently.

I switched to Macintosh about 6 years ago, and have loved everything except the customization. For so long I've wanted to custom build my own Mac, but never did due to the lack of compatible and readily accessible components. Now with the OSx86 I am debating whether to attempt to custom build a Mac. From your experiences, is it worth spending upwards of $600 to custom build a very good Hackntosh, or should I just continue buying Apple's computers. Have you guys noticed many problems with these Hackntosh computers? Is it fairly easy to install the updates? Will most Mac native programs run easily on it? Thank you so much for your help.

-Jason

Well for about $600 you can build something that is on par, (I think better even in some cases) with a dual G5, far above a mini, macbook, macbook pro.

So I would tend to lean in two different directions, try to see if you catch my drift.

First off, Mac's are $$$$ and they are and still are overated, sure they did some functions faster, but just a few, then along came AMD and changed the megahertz myth that Intel had, as Intel pushed it down the throats that higher meant more power, this was not the case as any apple or AMD user will testify too.

That said, Macs are still a bit pricey, but here's the thing, the hardware issues are not the same quality as the earlier mentors (G5, Quad 5), all the intel products have issues one way or another.

Macbook, good deal for white, fast, not to pricey, but the whole line has artifact issues, heat, staining on the white versions(MacBook).

MBPro, runs really hot along the keyboards and is much too pricey for what it does. The macbook offers almost the same performance except in gaming and some FCP Real Time FX issues.

The iMAC is a fairly good deal, but limited in upgradability.

So, in a nutshell, now is not really, to some extent, the time to buy a Intel Mac......

Most Pro Mac users are waiting for the 2nd generation of all the product lines, which by then, the heat, smaller cpu, even price points and hopefully HIGH END in quality will be there once again. Right now it's not there. Go to the apple discussions and you will see many complaining of issues. So, for $600 you can get your feet wet and with a tad bit of work have something very very close to the highest end intel mac out there, plus of course, you can add anything USB and for the most part, Firewire and some say the ATIX1600 is patched and works, if that's the case (I am not sure) you would basically have something that could handle Final Cut Pro with no problems compared to a DUAL G5 or MacBook Pro and save a lot of money and keep in mind, part of this $600 also includes 2GB of DDR2.

Just my few cents.

Tomorrow, I'm not sure, I may return my motherboard and try another one to see if I can overclock, even though it runs everything really fast. Even MS WORD Rosetta, opens in 6 seconds. And this is with no overclocking.

peace

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, i'll compare a Dell PC to an Apple.

Dell 8400:

Price: $1800

Features: 3.2 Ghz P4, 1 GB RAM, 256 MB Nvidia 6800, 250 GB HDD,Creative Audigity 2 ZS soundcard, Linksys WMP54 Wireless card, and Gigabit Ethernet. Came with a printer and 19 inch LCD.

Quality: On my first try, i was able to succesfully install OS X 10.4.5. After some simple reading around the forums, i have been able to get sound working and wireless networking up and running. So, it can run OSX nativly (and flawlessly) alongside Windows XP Home Edition!

Apple Macbook (White):

Price: $1449.99 with configuration below

Features: 2.0 Ghz Core Duo, 1 GB RAM, 64 MB Video RAM, 80 GB HDD, Airport, and Bluetooth. Comes with built in 13 inch LCD (Laptop...duh)

Quality: Well obviously it runs OSX flawlessly. No problems, a bit slow on PPC apps, but the Ram helps it a long. I installed Boot Camp and put Windows XP Proffessional Edition on it and so far it compares better to similar priced Laptops (Like a Dell XPS for example)

Apple Intel iMac:

Price: $1874.00 with configuration below (Similar to Dell)

Features: 2.0 Ghz Core Duo, 1 GB RAM, 256 MB ATI Radeon X1600, 250 GB RAM, Airport, and Bluetooth. Comes with built-in 20 inch LCD

Quality: As above, it runs OSX flawlessly, and still lacks the PPC unative problem, but it isnt so bad. And once again you can install Boot Camp. I dont own an iMac so i cant rate this system.

Overall, it all comes down to what you want. If you want a laptop, Apple's Macbook is the best choice (Even for a Windows XP machine) Now, for a desktop, its your choice. Now a days the Dell i listed can be found much cheaper (As i got it a year ago)

My personal choice(s)

Desktop: Dell 8400 Hackntosh

Laptop: Macbook

Hope that helps :pirate2:

Btw, feel free to make your own custom Hackntosh. I just had a Dell, so i used it. You can make the ultimate Hackntosh if you tryed hard enough.

"Get an Intel Mac?" ;) Not a good answer. Like said above if you get the right hardware, you HAVE an Intel Mac. Only difference? Steve Jobs isn't ripping your wallet out your ass. I have EVERYTHING working fine except video and I am gettting a X1600 card to solve that. Again, "Get an Intel Mac"? :whistle: Please. The Hackintosh is cause many don't want to pay Steve Jobs money for something we can make and run better. I love OSX and I would GLADLY pay for it off the shelf if I could install it on my Intel system but alas Steve Jobs is a prick and doesn't want that. Oh well, your lose Steve and NO I will NEVER buy an Intel Mac.

It's only a matter of time until the Hackintoshs stop working.

I disagree with this statement. In fact, I would argue that it is only a matter of time before Apple licenses to OS X to Dell and HP.

I do not have any "quality" problems with my OSx86 box (which sits next to my PowerMac G5), in fact the only "quality" problem I have is with my Dell panels.

bofors is right. PLUS when 10.5 is out, the hackintosh may be near perfect. Why? Steve Jobs will HAVE TO release 10.5 install DVDs that you can buy off the shelf/from Apple's store. He can't expect people to buy a new Intel Mac for 10.5. With a TRUE install disc, then the possibility is endless. :dev:

Actually... Apple doesnt have to sell 10.5 In A Store for Intel. Apple could give 10.5 away for free to Intel Macs and only charge for PPC Macs. It could be an upgrade for Intel Macs. Because Honest. 8 months after you bought your mac, you have to go out and spend another $130 for an operating system? HA.

No, i think they will sell it or maybe even sell an update on cd/dvd because you cant expect that every mac user has a broadband connection.

they HAVE to sell ANYTHING on CD/DVD - and why should they give it away for free?

I totaly agree. I just bought a Macbook. I have an odd feeling that when it arrives to my doorstep and as soon as i turn it on and load up safari, it will goto apple.com and say something like "Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard is here!" and i will be all :police::):):hysterical::gun::dev:

Because Honest. 8 months after you bought your mac, you have to go out and spend another $130 for an operating system? HA.

This is hardly the first time this issue has come up. Apple does not give any breaks like that, but at best will give an almost free copy of Leopard to people who purchase a new Mac in the few weeks between the announcement of the release date and the date itself.

The only exception to this was 10.1, which came about six months after 10.0. 10.1 was distributed almost free (Apple charged for shipping of the CD) to people who had purchased 10.0.

I totaly agree. I just bought a Macbook. I have an odd feeling that when it arrives to my doorstep and as soon as i turn it on and load up safari, it will goto apple.com and say something like "Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard is here!" and i will be all :police::):):hysterical::gun::dev:

Leopard will not be released unti January or later. Moreover, you will probably have a near perfect beta before it is publically released anyways.

When I started I didn't love Mac OS X enough to pay these crazy prices:

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/italystore/

However I wanted a PC that would run every OS ever created for x86.

So I bought the components following the great bofors' thread.

Now I have a computer almost identical to his, except for:

1)Case: I have a Thermaltake Tsunami Dream

2)RAM: I have "only" 2 GB DDR2

3)DVD-RW: Pioneer DVR-111D and Sony DRU820A

4)Hard drives: 2 Barracuda Seagate 7200.9 250 GB 16MB

I'll add two more GB RAM and I might replace my Pentium D 920 with a 960 when the prices come down.

Am I happy? Very! 10.4.7 is working fine here, and so do all applications.

Consider the cost of my Hackintosh and compare it to the cost of a real Mac (there isn't any comparable yet)

I keep hoping, however, that S.J. sells OS X for every PC, possibly bundled with a motherboard or a barebones, OR, he allows HP/Dell to make custom computers with OS X

Give 10.5 away? Good God people think! Why should they? You can't pay for $130 but can pay $1000's for a Mac? Uh ok. :) They will charge and they will put full versions out. Why? Some people might like to format and reinstall with 10.5, say developers. Easiest thing to do is have one install and a clean and fresh 10.5 install.

I disagree with this statement. In fact, I would argue that it is only a matter of time before Apple licenses to OS X to Dell and HP.

Well unless Maxxuss comes back or Apple does license OS X for PCs, I think we're going to be stuck with 10.4.