edit 8/29/06: Intel Mac Mini RUNS Aero--Try it for yourself!

MILBO

52 posts in this topic

Hy Milbo, Balahir and everybody...

I confirm that Vista works perfectly with the lakeport drivers but YOU MUST USE REMOTE DESKTOP from another computer ( black screen on macmini monitor )

The only problem is that it's not possible ( or better ..I had no success ) to enable aero through remote desktop, even with a general score =3 ( with lakeport driver ).

With Intel driver max score 2 but working monitor.

I also see only one display also with lakeport driver from remote.

This weekend I gived up and reformat completely my Macmini. Before I tried to restore the EFI partition ( reformat 200 mb in Fat 32 ...enter console for editing the partition ..EE ...) but without success ( information that are on several threads doesn't worked for me ).

Now I don't know if I should put windows XP or Vista...

Probably I install XP ( with XP and bootcamp it's easier to roll back ) and wait new graphic drivers from Intel before reinstalling Vista.

The question is already open... why does aero work on Macbooks and not on Macmini ?????

It's strange that nobody has the answer .

I almost gave up as well, but instead I used the boot camp video drivers(Vista Score 2) and I am settling on no Aero until we get new Video drivers. Fortunantly, I do have another peecee running Vista and I can get the Aero eye candy when I really want it....even though I think its overated.

I have seen some awesome desktop applications on linux that don't have anywhere near the graphics requirements. This might be hype to get peecee users to upgrade their hardware, but for anyone other the a MacPro (G5 currently) Apple user we are "upgrade challenged" and therefore screwed.

512 Mb RAM is not enough. Look on other threads but I'm almost certain that you must have minimum 1 Gb to enable Aero.

2nd that...From what I heard you need 1gb for your Macbook to be in Vista Aero heaven.

I think we are pretty much screwed until we get a intel driver update. I am currently trying to figure out how to extract my mac driver cd for further testing.

That's easy, I have done it myself. I do not remember the command, but search the forums and you will find it. However, regarding drivers, you will only find the March version of the Intel drivers, which you also can obtain using Windows update. But maybe you will come across something new, while testing...

I agree again regarding the Aero drivers. Until we have them, here is something from Microsoft to all of us:

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_scrapmetal.asp

I finally pressed my luck. I allowed OSX to update with no EFI parttion. 1st it killed my Ipod so I tried to restore my efi which killed my osx install. What's worse I have my boot camp cd in the drive and can't get it out due to my hosed osx install.

help

edit: I got the disc out.

It WAS asking me to restart it everytime it was getting ready to boot to OS X. Windows seemed to be usless as well. I spent a good part of last night reinstalling OS X on the whole hard drive. My Ipod is back up and I am about to resync it to my library and copy most of the lost files back.

I think its going to be a while before I venture back into vista country on my Mac Mini.

At least until I get that Hackintosh bug. B)

In fact this post is on my Mac Mini.

MILBO, let's see if there is any improvements of the WDDM drivers in the latest build (5466). I'll try to get hold of it and will report back.

Dude you most know I am drueling to find out. How did it go?

Wait are you running beta 2 public or Vista 5456?

If its the public one I STRONGLY recomend you get 5456 off of a torent site. The vista beta 2 key works and has improved preformance alot!

Wait are you running beta 2 public or Vista 5456?

If its the public one I STRONGLY recomend you get 5456 of of a torent site. The vista beta 2 key works and has improved preformance alot!

That's correct. Build 5456 is much faster than the Beta 2. I strongly recommend everybody to install build 5456. Do a clean install if possible. Upgrade takes forever, install is 20 minutes. Yes, 20 minutes. The performance is on par with OSX 10.4.7 on my MacMini. Note that it does not matter if you have Beta 2 or build 5456 when it comes to the Lakeport drivers/Aero, the drivers do not work.

QUOTE(MILBO @ Jul 14 2006, 09:28 PM)

I have been looking around for the latest builds a few days, but I haven't found neither build 5466 nor the very latest build 5472 I read about yesterday. Most threads indicate that the latest build will be released this weekend or Monday. I will keep searching and keep you updated.

I heard that the nwxt build of Vista will be realeased this week. So im guessing maybe later today or by atleast tuesday. http://www.jcxp.net/news.php?newsid=1544

Build 5472 has been released yesterday to Beta testers (NOT a public beta release, though). I will try to get hold of it. It contains, among other things, the new improved Vista Basic interface. For more details, see:

http://www.winfuture.de/news,26395.html

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvi..._gallery_01.asp

It seems to me that it would be best to allow the CPP users to test each build. By the time we submit a bug. It could have been ironed out.

I waiting on a good version of Vista, but also a better version of boot camp. At least versions of each that do not require removing the EFI partition. :)

What's the big deal about the efi partition? it doesn't contain anything.... the only problem you sometime get is a non boot situ, that's no big deal hough, it's only because the efi partition map and the gpt fake partition map are not in sync anymore, use gparted from it's live cd and make sure your bootable flags are ok.

Once the EFI part is deleted the only problem is not being able to resize your partitions in OSX using the bootcamp installer, but that's not an issue..... simply disable journaling on your osx partition and use the GParted live CD to resize/delete/create any partition map you want. Then re-enable journalling when back in osx no problemo.

To be fair though I've got two external firewire hdd's and use CarbonCopyCloner to make sure that I've got a backup of the working internal drive's osx partition so messing with partitions is much less dangerous for me :-)

The other thing is the remote desktop idea you tried, this I expected, that's exactly how rd works in xp too, a few xp/vista config options are missing here and there.... That's why it would be worth you using VNC instead, gives full access to all the 'real' options instead of the remote desktop options, havn't got a 2nd pc to try it with though.

Once the settings have been applied through vnc they should stick.

What I can't understand what you did after the black screen when installing the lakeport drivers, did you rd at that point into the box, if not how did you even get the display screens up to move the primary and secondary around?

thingi

It seems to me that it would be best to allow the CPP users to test each build. By the time we submit a bug. It could have been ironed out.

I waiting on a good version of Vista, but also a better version of boot camp. At least versions of each that do not require removing the EFI partition. ;)

Seems like a good idea, MILBO. I installed build 5472 yesterday and it's a piece of {censored} compared to build 5456. The UAC doesn't work at all in this build. I can not turn it off (obviously a known bug). I can not add any users and my picture is gone in the Add users window. In the Welcome center, when I click Set up devices I get an error message that Windows can not find reinstdrvs.exe. Etc...

The performance and speed are about the same as build 5456. And no, the WDDM drivers do not work in this build either. I am aware that this is an interim build, but to me it is not usable. I will probably install 5456 again.

The only positive about this build is the new Vista basic interface which I think is a huge improvement compared to the ugly grey in build 5456. It is really nice. According to others, better and more useful than Aero.

Let's hope for a new more stable build soon. I saw today some screen shots of 5479, so they must be in the '80s now...

• 3 weeks later...

It would have been cool if Steve O' would have given us an indication of whether Apple would deal with the Efi Partition and drivers for Vista. I have been quitely waiting for Micro$oft RC1 info or Boot Camp Info that would address the Mac.

Anyone heard if Intel has developed better 950 drivers for Mac Mini & Macbook? ;)

Anyone heard if Intel has developed better 950 drivers for Mac Mini & Macbook? ;)

There are no new drivers on Intel's web site, at least.

I got tired of waiting for WDDM drivers and gave the Intel Mini to my son, and he is now running XP instead. I have ordered a Shuttle barebone and will build my own "PC", on which I will triple boot XP, Vista and OSX. I am planning to include an nVidia 7600GS graphics card, and I am pretty sure that there are Vista drivers for that, which will allow me to test Aero Glass (apart from the performance improvement).

There are no new drivers on Intel's web site, at least.

I got tired of waiting for WDDM drivers and gave the Intel Mini to my son, and he is now running XP instead. I have ordered a Shuttle barebone and will build my own "PC", on which I will triple boot XP, Vista and OSX. I am planning to include an nVidia 7600GS graphics card, and I am pretty sure that there are Vista drivers for that, which will allow me to test Aero Glass (apart from the performance improvement).

I have been pondering that choice for a while :whistle: .

I like Apple hardware, but if Apple released OS X as a standlone OS purchase it would be running on a custom build computer in my Cave right now. ;)

I have been quitely lurking & patiently waiting for this Vista thing to be resolved. My brethern I think tonight will be the night that I reinstall Windows XP :D . I need to slipstream SP2 into a XP Home install disc and the install will commence.

Maybe RC1 will be the ticket...I was originally thinking Apple should fix the Efi issue, but the more I think about it Micro$oft should remove the check that keeps Vista from running after install. The Vista check should be WAAAAAYYYYY easier than Apple moving info on the Efi partition to some other location.

Fear not...we will one day have Vista on the Mac Mini with Aero!!! :D

8/21/06 I have reinstalled XP. Note Media center would not run after Mac driver cd install before, so boot camp 1.1 definantly has better drivers.

Anybody now how to image your xp partition. I have done some searches only to find that ghost and Mac Disc Utility are out.

• 2 weeks later...

That didn't take long, Well it looks like I will be going back to Vista tonight :)

edit: 8/29/06 9:32

This may be my last Vista/Boot Camp post....Why you say, because not only does Vista 5536 run WITH your EFI partition, but it runs Aero.

Once you intall Vista:

1) do a update for your graphics driver including online search

2) Refresh your rating

3) Viola you have Aero

Thanks to all who stuck it out with me on this grueling endeavor!!! :gun:

BTW...This time it has survived 5 restarts already :D

post-42901-1156903168_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again Milbo and others,

To confirm your findings some days ago: After reading that Boot Camp 1.1 supported Vista without having to delete the EFI partition, I gave it a try. I also read that there was WDDM drivers for Intel 945 out there (finally, what took them so long...?). So I upgraded the Mini to Boot Camp 1.1, installed Vista RC1 and it works like a charm. RC1 found all drivers except for the sound. The SigmaTel audio codec was found during the first update, but RC1 says "No audio output device is installed". How do I fix this? The drivers are in place.

So, the Intel Mini now runs Vista RC1 perfectly. And within a few days, my new MacBook Pro will arrive... And I must say that the new iMac tempted me.. :-)

Thanks for all info sharing during the summer, and greetings from a very nice southern Sweden with 20+ degrees (Celcius) again after the dreadful August...

/Balahir

Has anyone had any luck getting 5.1 surround sound out of the Mac Mini running Vista RC1? Everything including Aero and booting with the EFI partition in place works for me, except for that. I get sound but not 5.1. When I look at my speaker setup, only "stereo" is available. I've tried with the native Vista drivers, and the BootCamp 1.1 drivers, no difference.

Any thoughts?

E