edit 8/29/06: Intel Mac Mini RUNS Aero--Try it for yourself!

MILBO

52 posts in this topic

I do not completely agree. The components may be the same as a Macbook, but I am having some issues (video & audio, for example) that I have not read any Macbook posters having.

But, If it makes you feel better I wouldn't mind have a Mac Mini/Macbook sticky thread to place all of the collective information into. :idea:

so what exactly are you having troubles with? if the boot camp driers arent working for you, check the "The Great Driver Hunt" sticky at the top of this forum and look at the wiki for the mac mini. that should have all the drivers, and if i remember correctly the mac mini was the only one working correctly until boot camp.

Thanks for posting a reply.

I apologize if I am off base. I am new here. It just seems it would be easy to centralize some information.

I have Vista installed on my mini, but I can't get some of the drivers to work.

Video & Audio in specific.

Welcome to the forum, MILBO. You're not off base at all. ;)

What specific issues are you having with your audio and video? Just for reference, what is the part number of the gfx and audio components?

I agree that this would be a great place to pool info. Hopefully we can get your problems solved and keep all the info in this thread!

Thanks Mash I feel a lot better. :(

The Lakeport drivers cause my mini 2 crash & the sound seems to work, but I don't hear anyting.

1st Generation Intel Mac Mini Core Duo w/ 1 gb ram.

Dell Flat Panel display

:blink: Update. I noticed that if I use the apple vga adapter I at least get a desktop image when I start windows. No icons are visible the computer somewhat function and no taskbar...even with windows key + whatever.

I think there are some serious issues with the Lakeport driver for the Mac Mini & I am not convinced a Mac Mini has exactly the same video setup as the macbook. Maybe the same chipset, but something else is different.

That is exactly what I am talking about right there. Thanks Evilspell!!! That is why I wanted one central place to post.

Now we now that it's not just you or me(its us). The Mac Mini doesn't seem to do the Aero effects.

I do get sound out of my mini now BTW. I don't remember which driver I used.

Let's keep I fingers crossed that 5456 or RC1 will be the one that makes the Mac Mini sing.

Anyone know if Micro$oft or Apple plan to eliminate the need to fiddle with the EFI partition?

Nope, right now... no proper DirectX 9 compliant card, no real pixel shaders 2, no AeroGlass... perhaps creating a wrapper, but I think it would be slow as hell... I think the problem lies around tile based rendering, it's giving speedups, but problems too since ST Kyro and Kyro 2 cards...

:police: As far as I am concerned Macbook owners are welcome. We are trying to pool our knowledge.

As far as the Macbook & Mac Mini being just alike...that seems to be debateble as many macbook owners seem to get Aero, but I don't know of a Mac Mini owner to get Aero yet.

I guess we are all patiently watching this forum to see if one person gets a stroke of genius and figures it out.

BTW...I am thinking of adding a Macbook to my Hackintosh Army. :)

Hey,

Finally a thread on this! I also have the same problems. I have tried posting threads in other forums on this topic but nobody replies, other than the usual steps: Try the Lakeport drivers, etc. But when I report that I just get a black screen after rebooting, nobody replies again.

I think we safely can conclude that the MacBook and the MacMini are not the same, otherwise the Lakeport drivers would have worked.

I have tried both with the public Beta 2 and also this week with Build 5456, but without luck. I have also searched hundreds of threads but without luck. Does anybody know what could be the difference between the Mini and MacBook?

I have also searched Intel's site, but with no result. Could anybody living in the US (I am from Sweden) call or mail Intel and ask them to look into this problem? I read one thread where somebody talked to an Intel rep about this issue and the Intel guy had no clue what the other guy told him.

Thanks, and let's join forces...

Hey,

Finally a thread on this! I also have the same problems. I have tried posting threads in other forums on this topic but nobody replies, other than the usual steps: Try the Lakeport drivers, etc. But when I report that I just get a black screen after rebooting, nobody replies again.

I think we safely can conclude that the MacBook and the MacMini are not the same, otherwise the Lakeport drivers would have worked.

I have tried both with the public Beta 2 and also this week with Build 5456, but without luck. I have also searched hundreds of threads but without luck. Does anybody know what could be the difference between the Mini and MacBook?

I have also searched Intel's site, but with no result. Could anybody living in the US (I am from Sweden) call or mail Intel and ask them to look into this problem? I read one thread where somebody talked to an Intel rep about this issue and the Intel guy had no clue what the other guy told him.

Thanks, and let's join forces...

Hello,

I arrived at your same conclusion;

1) It's not possible now to enable aero on Macmini.

2) Macmini and Mackooks should have a different hardware or a different display drivers management.

I saw on different threads that with aero working on Macbooks there is a problem ( with Lakeport drivers ) on the secondary display.

There is probably a relation between this issue and the Macmini issue.

I don't know if the macmini use the primary display or the secondary for the Monitor output.

It seems that with the lakepport driver on the macmini the video informations are sent to a non existent output ( black monitor after rebooting ).

If somebody has more accurate information maybe ...... ^_^

Very intersting theory. I can almost buy it, because when I connectected the mini using the vga adapter. I saw a screen and the computer seemed to work somewhat, but it was missing the launch bar and other icons.

I have to look at changing the dual monitor management and I will get back to you on this.

If you own a Mac Mini THIS is the post YOU have been waiting to read.

As I mentioned earlier today I would see if the hint I was provided 2 posts above this one (big ups to Gasib)) would pan out to anything good.

I have Aero working on my Mac Mini. Pull up a chair and take a listen.

First you need to use your DVI/VGA adapter (at least for this part)

1) Log into Vista and change to Lakeport driver & restart as required

2) You know will have a blank desktop (I played here for a while, but basically you need to force you computer to restart, by holding the power key)

3) Alright, now right click on my computer & left click personalize. This will bring up the personalize window on your screen

4) Click the Display Options. Imagine you have 2 monitors...the one you are using is on the left(secondary) and the other (main w/taskbar and icons is on the right). Move you mouse beyond the right boundary of your screen and left click/hold & drag over the Display options screen from the right side. This may require you to try a few times. I use dual montior at work everyday so it was easy for me.

Once you get he screen over into the secondary monitor (the one you are using) this will give you the option to select this as your primary monitor. If your taskbar appears at the bottom you are cooking with gas. Everything can be closed.

5) Go to the My computer & left click to pull of the information screen where you can get you machines rating.

6) Hit refresh and you will have Aero.

Please note: I am typing this as fast as I can to help my friends & brethern. I will update this post as I get more information.

Update #1 Upon reboot I am greeted with a totally black screen :sorcerer: (even with the vga adapter.) I am working to setup a network Remote desktop connection so I can turn off the dual monitor option, but the lakeport driver needs to be in operation at the time. I can safely say that the Lakeport driver :gathering: is what is holding up the Mac Mini/Aero experience. While it worked it was snappy compared to my 2.4ghz Pentium 4. You may want to wait before using this option, but if you don't you can use f8 to go into safe mode and roll back the driver.

Update #2 Remote Desktop functions, but it doesn't give full access to the dual monitor setup (Display options). BTW...This also confirms that despite the black screen Vista is functioning normally. Neither VGA nor DVI displays anything accept a black screen. I think there is also something up with the way Apple has configure the Video output....Have you ever noticed if you plug in a VGA monitor your desktop is a different size and a differnt wallpaper is displayed...if you switch back to DVI the normal wallpaper is there.

But alas tomorrow I am going back to work on this one. Can you say "A fresh Vista install." Back through steps 1 through 6 and I will see if I can better disable the dual monitor setup. :thumbsup_anim:

Update #3 No success. Even though I formatted the drive and totally reinstalled Vista I am back at the dreaded black screen. I am starting to think that the driver has changed something in the "bios" or intel mac equivalent.

Captain Kirk, I am giving you all she got. Any help???

MILBO, thanks for all your efforts. I have just returned home after a week in Greece, and am now updating myself what has happened the last week.

I must admit I do not understand how to perform the steps you describe in your post above. How can you do something after restarting with the Lakeport drivers? Do you actually see your desktop? I just have a black screen. What is funny, by the way, is that apart from the lack of an apprpriate signal to the monitor, I believe that Vista is starting correctly. After a while I can hear the Windows starting sound (twice, for some reason), but I have a completely black screen. The only way out is to force a restart by holding down the Power button, and then restarting into safe mode to change the driver.

Since I have an Apple cinema display, I can not test the stuff with the VGA/DVI converter. I also only see one display, not two. Comments?

MILBO, thanks for all your efforts. I have just returned home after a week in Greece, and am now updating myself what has happened the last week.

I must admit I do not understand how to perform the steps you describe in your post above. How can you do something after restarting with the Lakeport drivers? Do you actually see your desktop? I just have a black screen. What is funny, by the way, is that apart from the lack of an apprpriate signal to the monitor, I believe that Vista is starting correctly. After a while I can hear the Windows starting sound (twice, for some reason), but I have a completely black screen. The only way out is to force a restart by holding down the Power button, and then restarting into safe mode to change the driver.

Since I have an Apple cinema display, I can not test the stuff with the VGA/DVI converter. I also only see one display, not two. Comments?

At first when I connect my mini to a vga monitor using the vga/dvi adapter I saw a blank desktop. Somebody's post above made me realize that the desktop was acting like two monitors were connected to it and my screen was the extended desktop. You are 100% correct the Vista is starting normally, but the driver isn't displaying it...as evidenced me connecting to my Mini remotely using another computer.

I think we are pretty much screwed until we get a intel driver update. I am currently trying to figure out how to extract my mac driver cd for further testing.

Hy Milbo, Balahir and everybody...

I confirm that Vista works perfectly with the lakeport drivers but YOU MUST USE REMOTE DESKTOP from another computer ( black screen on macmini monitor )

The only problem is that it's not possible ( or better ..I had no success ) to enable aero through remote desktop, even with a general score =3 ( with lakeport driver ).

With Intel driver max score 2 but working monitor.

I also see only one display also with lakeport driver from remote.

This weekend I gived up and reformat completely my Macmini. Before I tried to restore the EFI partition ( reformat 200 mb in Fat 32 ...enter console for editing the partition ..EE ...) but without success ( information that are on several threads doesn't worked for me ).

Now I don't know if I should put windows XP or Vista...

Probably I install XP ( with XP and bootcamp it's easier to roll back ) and wait new graphic drivers from Intel before reinstalling Vista.

The question is already open... why does aero work on Macbooks and not on Macmini ?????

It's strange that nobody has the answer .