Beta Universal 46xx install package

ameris_cyning

81 posts in this topic

Here it is.

SNOW LEOPARD ONLY. You still need to download PC-EFI 10.5.

Please keep listing your Device ID's in this thread

Known cards that work:

Asus EAH4650 (VGA works best, to use HDMI or DVI, both cables must be plugged in at the same time

Updated December 17 2009: Released version .3 beta

46XX_Series_Universal_Installer_version_.3.zip

I would like to make a universal install package for all 46xx series cards. What I need from you is to list your Device ID of your card.

Really good idea and using 1gb 4670 with these ids (Sapphire 1gb gddr3)

0x94901002

Btw using crt monitor tried with dongle and crt to crt but no success yet.

Good luck

Asus EAH4650 Magic 512 0x94981002

Snow 10.6.2, manual id in ATI4600Controller.kext and ATIRadeonX2000.kext + Chameleon 2.0RC4

QE/CI ok, only DVI output.

Giorgio

Asus EN HD4650 Magic 512 0x94981002

Snow 10.6.2, manual id in ATI4600Controller.kext and ATIRadeonX2000.kext + Chameleon 2.0RC4

QE/CI ok, only DVI output.

Giorgio

Hi Giorgio_multi,

Is it ok for you to post a link on where you purchased your Asus EN HD4650 Magic? I only see EAH4650 and never encountered that kind of Asus card.

Is that a low profile ready card?

Thank you.

BTW, EAH4650 1gb ddr2 = 0x94981002 like the others -_-

Hi Giorgio_multi,

Is it ok for you to post a link on where you purchased your Asus EN HD4650 Magic? I only see EAH4650 and never encountered that kind of Asus card.

Is that a low profile ready card?

Thank you.

BTW, EAH4650 1gb ddr2 = 0x94981002 like the others :D

Wrong typed: is EAH4650 magic 512 MB DDR2 9498 ;)

Giorgio

When you say "I would like to make a universal install package for all 46xx series cards", are Mobility HD 4650 includes too ?

Here is mine :

ATI Technologies Inc M96 [Mobility Radeon HD 4650]

Video memory amount : 1 Go

Video mode description : 1920 x 1080 x 4294967296 colors

Current refresh rate : 60 Hz

PCI/AGP Cards

Bus/Device/Function : 1 / 0 / 0

Vendor name : ATI Technologies Inc (0x1002)

Device Name : M96 [Mobility Radeon HD 4650] (0x1002,0x9480)

Type : Display (0x03)

Sub-type : Display (0x00)

Hi again,

I just received my 2nd EAH4650 1gb and tested it today (Since I returned my other one). I was "kinda" successful in getting it work. First, I used the kext from the beta installer here, thnx q64ceo btw.

Note: When I got my first EAH4650 (which I eventually returned to newegg), I did not have special cables and dongles like HDMI to DVI cable / VGA to DVI dongle / HDMI to DVI dongle but now I have it which results to better test options

Ok this is my experience so far:

1) "VGA to VGA cable" and "DVI to VGA dongle" ONLY works with full QI/CE. Any other connections gives black screen.

2) I have an HP 2009m 16:9 monitor with maximum resolution of 1600x900@60hz. When I go to System Preferences>Display and change resolution, it only gives me 4:3 resolution choices - there are no options to click 1600x900 in the options. It also does not detect my monitor as HP 2009m - it just says VGA monitor. This is using 10.5 PC_EFI boot file.

3) I switched to Chameleon RC4 and it panics on X2000.kext. I solved this by adding this in boot.plist (still only vga is working)

<key>PciRoot</key>

<string>1</string>

After adding that, it does not KP anymore and boots to Desktop screen successfully. The difference in using PC_EFI 10.5 with RC4 is with rc4, System Preference > Display gives me 1600x900@60 option BUT, when I choose that resolution, my screen looks weird. Its does not fill up my whole screen. The left most part of the screen is not filled, its just black (about 3-4 inches). And you will notice that the screen is shrink-ed. Anyway, just for experimenting, I clicked the 60Hz and noticed that 75Hz is black (meaning I can choose it). So I clicked 75Hz and now I have FULL screen (no more black on left) in 1600x900@75hz. But my monitor can only handle 60Hz!! How the heck did that happen? Now, Im suspecting that it is not really 75. I only shows 75, but it is actually the real 60. I dunno, just guessing.

4) This is the sad part, I was almost happy having the full screen but I noticed that the screen is not crystal clear. Right now when I'm typing this, the letters are not crisp and clear (like degaussing your monitor except very minimal). The letters are supposed to be black but it is like gray. It's like reading when your dizzy. I've had this experience when I bought 9400GT. The 9400GT that I had has 1 dvi and 1 vga port. The "not having crystal clear" text is when VGA was connected. But when I plug the DVI to DVI cable to my 9400GT, it becomes so clear - just like in the real macbook or iMac. My 7300LE only has DVI and the text is clear. So I think that this is only happening with VGA connections in OSX.

Another good thing in using RC4 is my monitor is now detected as HP 2009m

5) I went back to 10.5 boot file and since I did not get 16:9 resolutions, I installed SwitchResX to forcibly have 1600x900 which actually works. But the screen is still not as clear as it should be. Monitor is still not detected as HP.

All other connections like HDMI and DVI still does not work even with Switchresx.

some interesting findings:

6) Since my HP monitor only has 2 ports (DVI and VGA), I tried connecting both (at the same time) with DVI to DVI and VGA to VGA cable. Results was Black screen :) So then I tried, VGA to VGA AND HDMI to DVI cable which works (Again, both connected at the same time). But I noticed that the display I'm having is just my wallpaper. I hovered the mouse and noticed the mouse was moving, but i came from the left screen. I used VNC to check what is happening and found out that the reason why I'm just seeing a wallpaper is that my system is using dual display in extended mode. So what I did was (in VNC), I went to System Preferences > Display and "Arrangement" and click mirror. Now My HP monitor has display, but not the right resolution. I added resolution in SwitchResX, rebooted and now I have the right resolution but still not crystal clear. I'm in dual display (even though I only have 1 monitor) in mirror (clone) mode. Weird.

*10.5/beta boot/rc4 boot displays all the same (not giving 1600x900 reso)

7) I tried only connecting my HDMI to DVI cable on all boot files and gives black screen. However, it is interesting to see that on VNC, HP monitor is actually detected in the 1st "Displays:".

I'm now guessing that the 1st display connector will not display image on the monitor. The 2nd "Display connector" is the only one giving images (just like in extended mode). Another thing that support this is since VGA to VGA or DVI to VGA dongle only works, when booted and check in System Profile, the 1st "Displays:" is blank but the 2nd "Displays:" detects the monitor.

Is there a way to modify DSDT to make the HDMI or DVI ports to be the Second "Displays:"?

Oh yeah, before I forget, Vanilla 10.6.2 X2000.kext and 4600Controller.kext with RC4 already works. I actually don't need the Beta 4600Controller anymore. That is just my findings with this card.

I'll do further tests and report if there are new findings. I'm just so sleepy right now.

Cheers

0x94901002 here too (Sapphire 4670 Ultimate 512 MB)

Kernel Panic on ATIRadeonX2000 at boot with

- PC EFI 10.5

- PC EFI beta

- Chameleon RC3 and RC4

Hang with EVOEnabler

I have a similar card, same GPU, RAM & device ID- but manufacturer is HIS.

I also get KP with ATIRadeonX2000- have tried every patched "version" I can find... always same thing. I've also tried all the various "beta" boot files I can find without any success or other results.

I can start in safe-mode- but only if I revert to using the 10.6 kernel and extensions. Otherwise, just when the logon window & the GUI is starting, the machine either reboots, gives me garbled video output, or just the displays shut off.

Some people seem to have reported success with this card- but I have not yet been able to get it to work :( At first I thought it might have been some kext which I had added/replaced in the S/L/E folder. But I did a fresh install and have kept S/L/E vanilla-clean by ONLY using E/E for any non-original kexts.

I'm puzzled and curious about how other people are not having KP using any version (beyond/other than 10.6) of ATIRadeonX2000.kext...

I also tried netkas' patch for exotic cards with Chameleon 2.0 RC4 which was a partial solution when using the 4670 as a second card- no success for me :( because I'm using it as a primary/solitary card?

Any thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?

AuralArchitect, did you remember to boot with GraphicsEnabler=Y ?

Yes I did, thank you! (I've also been trying each "boot 'combination' attempt" in 32 & 64 bit mode.) However I wonder if any of the other lines in my boot.plist might be causing problems... Possibly specifying the resolution? Or maybe one (or more) of the other kexts in my E/E?- I'm trying to keep them to a minimum.

I don't know how much difference it makes, but it seems that other cards which share the device-ID with mine have different combinations of outputs. Mine has two DVI & one S-video.

Oh, I should add that many of my boot attemps in 10.6.2 end up stuck hanging (not using EVOenabler)- which happens just when the login window should be coming up... Last line I see is DSMOS has arrived...

I don't know how much difference it makes, but it seems that other cards which share the device-ID with mine have different combinations of outputs. Mine has two DVI & one S-video.

Bingo

If you do not have a real VGA port (with these current kexts) than OS X wont like you. Hopefully with the 10.6.3 update coming out soon that all this {censored} will be resolved

Bingo

If you do not have a real VGA port (with these current kexts) than OS X wont like you. Hopefully with the 10.6.3 update coming out soon that all this {censored} will be resolved

OK, I'm not sure I'm following you- one of my monitors is DVI, the other VGA (I've been using an adapter). You're saying that only VGA ports are able to work at this point? Netkas seemed to be saying that only DVI ports were currently able to work...

Anyway, thank you so much for your help and insight... I guess I'm just playing the waiting game until full support for my really arrives! LOL

Manufacturers product page: http://www.hisdigital.com/un/product2-65.shtml

Here's a report containing all kinds of other data about my card- don't know if any of this would be of value or interest to you... but just in case... :)

GPU_Report.txt

OK, I'm not sure I'm following you- one of my monitors is DVI, the other VGA (I've been using an adapter). You're saying that only VGA ports are able to work at this point? Netkas seemed to be saying that only DVI ports were currently able to work...

Anyway, thank you so much for your help and insight... I guess I'm just playing the waiting game until full support for my really arrives! LOL

Every card has different experiences than the others (same 4650 but different brands). Some only work in DVI .. some in VGA .. some in HDMI. There are also cases that you have to plug HDMI and DVI at the same just to have output in ONE monitor. Some works when using a dongle... so it is really different. But in q64ceo's and my case, since we have the exact same video card (EAH4650), we only have outputs in VGA or when using DVI to VGA dongle.

If you want to wait, it would be wise :)

Thank you! I certainly will wait... This is all just for fun and entertainment as a little side/hobby project anyway...

I really appreciate your feedback- it's great to hear from someone with some experience and who knows what they're talking about.

I added some info to my previous post...

I just wish I could figure out a way to get my computer to NOT be in safe mode without changing out my video card (I also have an nVidia 8500 GT)! LOL

thanks so much for your work , i want to ask how to add the id , i have ati radeon hd 4650 here is the id in this photo

The 4650 device id is already in the installer. You don't need to add anything anymore. The one on your screenshot is your VENDOR id (not device id). Just use the installer and you should be good. You also have to wish for more luck .. seriously. Some cards just work .. some doesn't.