Netgear WG111 v2 USB dongle

Silent OSX

102 posts in this topic

Hey all, thanks for all the postings and ideas... Unfortunately no go with me here - all about that damn bouncing, blue, crab (blue crabs don't last a minute here in MD btw... this one would be gone even faster....), so a thought I've not seen mentioned yet:

Does it matter if the USB port is 2.0 or slower, 1.0, for the dongle to work (and perhaps to keep its connection for some not others)? I can't tell because the variety of set ups here.

peace.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi biggietx, are you using wg111v3 or wg111v2? Because I think v3 is using the chipset of RTL 8187B and v2 is using RTL 8187L. I have a wg111v3 and I installed the realtek 8187L driver by mistaken and the result is having that bouncing crab thing. Then I uninstalled the RTL 8187L driver, downloaded and installed the RTL 8187B driver from "ftp://210.51.181.211/cn/wlan/87B_Mac10.4_v1117.zip". It works fine.

Hope it helps.

Hey I followed our help thanks. Mine is the v2 so i got the 8187L driver. But just one thing, I got the realtek client to work and find my access point and succesfully connect :D , then suddenly :) , it disconnects.... then reconnects :D .... then disconnects :( . What is going on?! this thing is playing with my head. I cant get a page to load and it says my signal strength is almost full. Any1 had the same problem?

• 2 weeks later...
the version 2 (RTL8187L chipset) works well here. The realtek client utility is {censored} though. You have to connect and apply any custom settings 'by hand' after every reboot. It wasnt easy to figure out what settings are the best. The only configuration working for me is WPA2-PKS AES encription (I had to reconfigure the router). Advance Settings Tab: Mode:802.11b, auto. Channel Plan:FCC....

Is anyone else able to get WPA2 PSK and AES to work? Mine fails to get an IP address when using this configuration. I can see the AP and the Realtek utility says I am connected, but MacOSX says I have been assigned an IP 169.x.x.x This is on 10.5.5 I have the WG111 v2 RTL8187L

Works fine though if I change my router to WPA PSK and AES

Router is running DD-WRT v24-sp1. Would like to add that my Vista client and Windows XP client both work fine on WPA2.

Can anyone help me get my WG111 v2 working on my iDeneb 10.5.5 install?

I installed the RTL8187L drivers as described in this thread, and followed the instructions posted by Miah586 on page 3. I opened up Network in System Preferences, and saw a new "Ethernet 2" connection in the left-hand panel. I assigned it an IP address (192.168.0.15) but wasn't sure about the DNS Server or Search Domains fields - i ran ipconfig on my XP machine and copied the DNS Server (192.168.0.1) from that, but i couldn't find any Search Domains field, so left that blank.

I went back into the Realtek app and saw that my network was showing up under Available Networks, but when i click Connect it takes me back to the first tab but still says "Disconnected". I've tried both unsecured and WEP security settings on my router (D-Link DI-614+) but with the same results.

Does anyone know where i might be going wrong? e.g. what i should be putting in the Search Domains field? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Can anyone help me get my WG111 v2 working on my iDeneb 10.5.5 install?

I installed the RTL8187L drivers as described in this thread, and followed the instructions posted by Miah586 on page 3. I opened up Network in System Preferences, and saw a new "Ethernet 2" connection in the left-hand panel. I assigned it an IP address (192.168.0.15) but wasn't sure about the DNS Server or Search Domains fields - i ran ipconfig on my XP machine and copied the DNS Server (192.168.0.1) from that, but i couldn't find any Search Domains field, so left that blank.

I went back into the Realtek app and saw that my network was showing up under Available Networks, but when i click Connect it takes me back to the first tab but still says "Disconnected". I've tried both unsecured and WEP security settings on my router (D-Link DI-614+) but with the same results.

Does anyone know where i might be going wrong? e.g. what i should be putting in the Search Domains field? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

You don't need to specify anything in the System Preferences. Set it to DHCP and use the realtek utility to connect to your wireless network.

I tried creating a new Ethernet network service by selecting DHCP rather than manually entering an IP address, but i still can't connect through the Realtek utility. In System Preferences it now lists the new Ethernet service but says it "has a self-assigned IP address and may not be able to connect".

I've been trying to set up the WG111 on my XP machine but have been having similar problems with that, which makes me think maybe it's something to do with the router. The Netgear Windows software can find my router but when i enter the password it won't connect, and keeps saying "scanning..." at the bottom of the app. On both Leopard and XP, i often have to scan several times before the adapter finds my network. Are there any particular settings i should apply to the router? It's a D-Link DI-614+ 802.11b router.

Thanks again for your help.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Is anyone else able to get WPA2 PSK and AES to work? Mine fails to get an IP address when using this configuration. I can see the AP and the Realtek utility says I am connected, but MacOSX says I have been assigned an IP 169.x.x.x This is on 10.5.5 I have the WG111 v2 RTL8187L

Works fine though if I change my router to WPA PSK and AES

Router is running DD-WRT v24-sp1. Would like to add that my Vista client and Windows XP client both work fine on WPA2.

On dual booting, two 10.5.6 different installs one connects without problem to a WPA2 AES network, the other fails to get an IP address with the same network... so I dont really know. Also the range of this dongle is poor

I will get a wifi pci card (broadcom 43xx based) and forget about it....

• 1 month later...

I am using the WG111v2, too and it works from me. There are Realtek drivers for this Network adapter available, but be please be aware, there are 2 different drivers. The WG111v2 contains the chipset RTL8187L, while the WG111v3 needs the drivers for the RTL8187B. With the wrong drivers You will have the bouncing icon, without any connection.

But the Realtek drivers and special the Client Utility are really nasty. My connection breaks in random times, everything from 2min to maximum 63min.

Yesterday I found on the Netgear support page a driver for Mac OS X, which seems to keep my network connection stable.

First I noticed problems to save my profile, after every reboot Ihad to enter the WEP key, what was the same annoying like to unplug my USB dongle every 5 30min.

But today maybe I solved the problem:

The Netgear utility want to store its profiles in /Libary/Preferences/RtProfilesListV2.plist , which is marked as readonly for all users.

From the Realtek installation I've got a file with the same name in ~/Libary/Preferences

After deleting this file from the Homedir and from /L/P and creating the correct and new file with my wep keys, it seem to work and remebers my profiles.

The tests are going on. These unstable connections are real annoying, special while it is running stable in Windows and I switched my boot sequence back to windows. With a stable connection I will keep in my Mac :( .

I Love this OS and I really thank You all guys for Your hard work to keep this board online and bringing this great, fast and userfriendly OS to the PC World

I hope this will help a little.

ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/NETGEAR_wg111v2_MacOS10.5_v1.1.0.zip

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Official Netgear WG111v2 driver available!!!!

I've seen that alot of Netgear wireless cards works with osx86..

This USB dongle is said to work with Windows, it doesn't say anything about OSX..

Has anybody tried it??

Chances are slim that it will show up as an Airport card since it's USB, but does it work at all?

/Silent

Just a heads up, there is now official drivers from netgear site

WG111v2 Software Version 1.1.0 for MAC OSX 10.4, 10.5

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a...0.5/r_id/100109

• The OSX 10.4 software is beta release.
  • The OSX 10.5 software is official release.
  • It supports both G4 and INTEL base platform.

ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/NETGEAR_wg111v2_MacOS10.4_v1.1.0.zip

ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/NETGEAR...10.5_v1.1.0.zip

Works perfectly on my ipc 10.5.6 mac. No need to bother with the realtek download, the netgear installer installed one for us.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

if you search for an working USB-Stick for Mac, the Netgear wg111v3 is working good.

The driver you need is on their website, so you don´t have to search for it.

But only for 10.3, 10.4, and 10.5

http://www.netgear.de/de/Support/download....il&id=12542

I don´t know if i´m allowed to post the link, if not, just remove it.

Sorry for my bad english.

• 1 month later...

DUDES.

It works in SNOW LEOPARD! on my 10.6.2 vanilla install on an Aspire one D250

the installer will tell you it failed, and then a notice will come up saying the kext is not working.

The solution that worked for me..

1. connect dongle

2. restart

3. drag the RTL8187l.kext out of system/library/extensions

4. open kexthelper

5. drag the kext in, enter password etc

6. kexthelper than crashed on me, so i force quit, and restart

7. after a LONG boot, the realtek app opened automatically and told me to enable the device in network settings, so i did

8. opened realtek app, entered my wifi details and BOOM

it works :D

I am using the WG111v2, too and it works from me. There are Realtek drivers for this Network adapter available, but be please be aware, there are 2 different drivers. The WG111v2 contains the chipset RTL8187L, while the WG111v3 needs the drivers for the RTL8187B. With the wrong drivers You will have the bouncing icon, without any connection.

But the Realtek drivers and special the Client Utility are really nasty. My connection breaks in random times, everything from 2min to maximum 63min.

Yesterday I found on the Netgear support page a driver for Mac OS X, which seems to keep my network connection stable.

First I noticed problems to save my profile, after every reboot Ihad to enter the WEP key, what was the same annoying like to unplug my USB dongle every 5 30min.

But today maybe I solved the problem:

The Netgear utility want to store its profiles in /Libary/Preferences/RtProfilesListV2.plist , which is marked as readonly for all users.

From the Realtek installation I've got a file with the same name in ~/Libary/Preferences

After deleting this file from the Homedir and from /L/P and creating the correct and new file with my wep keys, it seem to work and remebers my profiles.

The tests are going on. These unstable connections are real annoying, special while it is running stable in Windows and I switched my boot sequence back to windows. With a stable connection I will keep in my Mac :) .

I Love this OS and I really thank You all guys for Your hard work to keep this board online and bringing this great, fast and userfriendly OS to the PC World

I hope this will help a little.

ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/NETGEAR_wg111v2_MacOS10.5_v1.1.0.zip

I have the exact same issue with my WEP settings not saving but need the dummy version of this fix. Anyone care to simplify this for me?

Thanks,

Bryan N.

• 2 weeks later...
DUDES.

It works in SNOW LEOPARD! on my 10.6.2 vanilla install on an Aspire one D250

the installer will tell you it failed, and then a notice will come up saying the kext is not working.

The solution that worked for me..

1. connect dongle

2. restart

3. drag the RTL8187l.kext out of system/library/extensions

4. open kexthelper

5. drag the kext in, enter password etc

6. kexthelper than crashed on me, so i force quit, and restart

7. after a LONG boot, the realtek app opened automatically and told me to enable the device in network settings, so i did

8. opened realtek app, entered my wifi details and BOOM

it works :)

I have the WG111v2 running in Snow Leopard 10.6.2 installed on a Dell Latitude D620 using Leppy700m's guides available here on Insanelymac forums. I didn't have the easiest time with this working, but somehow it started by itself and I'll list the steps I took. Maybe someone smarter can make some sense out of these issues and see why it's working now and wasn't before.

1. I started with a fresh install of SL 10.6 from the retail DVD. Kernel is operating in 64-bit mode (even though in system profiler it states No under "using 64-bit kernel and extensions")

2. downloaded Realtek 8187L drivers from realtek's website, and installed. Nothing happened when I plugged in the USB adapter.

3. found this forum post and followed smidge's instructions: removed RTL8187L.kext, used kexthelper to install. I did not have kexthelper

4. Tried running realtek's wlan usb client utility; it stated i needed to install rosetta. I installed Rosetta from Optional Installs on DVD. The utility wouldn't run afterwards. I right-clicked and set "Use Rosetta" to open, then afterwards the utility would open, and immediately close. It stayed on the dock for perhaps half a second.

5. Updated today via ethernet cable to 10.6.2; when I rebooted the OS alerted me to a new network adapter that needed to be enabled, so I did, and here I am posting wirelessly via Wg111v2.

I have no idea why it worked but I sure am glad that it did!