Netgear WG111 v2 USB dongle

Silent OSX

102 posts in this topic

bahong, what leopard r u using ?

and what versions did you take from that site? can you tell me? i was looking and looks the same driver and the other one is the older!

iam using this driver: 87_Mac10.4_v1309.zip and i can connect but after while i lost connection!!

what else do i hv to do it? who figure out how to work on leopard 10.5 ?

Tkz

I use that driver too.

May be i have modified IONetworkingFamily.kext to solve some problem.

I think you problem is from the kext.

So you may try IONetworkingFamily.kext from 10.4 (back up first)

Good luck.

pleeasse guys help me, this issue is driving me crazy :)

iam losting my connection every 20min or something like this, seens my ethernet is losing my IP, is strange, i hv to change my internal ip and wait to connect again!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm also having a problem with the crab just bouncing up and down and doing nothing. Nothing appears for the adapter (WG111 v2) under System Profiler and the LEDs on it never light up. This may have something to do with the fact that I am running 10.5.5. Any suggestions?

Hmmm. Dunno then, I'm afraid. My dongle is a v3, if that is relevant, on Leopard 10.5.2, Acer 5634 laptop. It shows up (by name) in the System Profiler under Hardware - USB - USB High Speed bus.

My best (highly uninformed) guess is some kind of USB issue on your PC, which does not bode well for other devices you might want to hook up. Infuriating, isn't it? I went through three dongles before I got one to work. Wanna buy a dongle?

I got my WG111 V2 working with Kalyway 10.5.1 working reliably and here's how I did it.

1. Install the realtek drivers referenced earlier in this thread. Be sure to install RTL8187L, not RTL8187B. I tried the B initially, but it wouldn't work.

2. Run the realtek application and get the bouncing blue crab. The app window said to turn on the WLAN from network settings in sys prefs.

3. Go into network from the system preferences. Mine showed no new network options, but the blue led on the WG111 was flashing every once in a while, so I knew something was working. The two options my network showed was "Ethernet" and "Firewire", which have always been there. There was nothing saying WLAN or wireless.

4. Click on the + button to create a new network connection. I noticed there was now three options under the first dropdown, one Firewire and two Ethernet options. There used to be only one Firewire and one Ethernet option in that dropdown.

5. Click on the first Ethernet option and click create. If you don't name it yourself, it will probably name it "Ethernet 2". You can rename it later if you want.

6. On the "Configure:" dropdown, select "Using DHCP with manual address".

7. In the "IP Address:" space, assign a IP address that won't conflict with other wireless tech on your network. Chances are, your wireless router is assigning DHCP numbers like 192.168.0.2, 192.168.0.3, etc... Pick something higher like 192.168.0.15.

8. Under "DNS Server:" and "Search Domains:" I copied the boxes exactly as they were from my wired connections in the same boxes (my wired ethernet connection was working before this).

9. Click "Apply". Everything came to life.

10. Go back to the realtek app. Click on the "Available Networks" tab, and find your WLAN. Click on your network, which will open another window. I entered by WPA_PSK key, and the card connected to the network.

11. Go back to the "Available Networks" tab and highlight the network you just signed into. Click on the "Add to Profile" button. This will save this network in the Profile tab, and will automatically sign into this network when you boot.

Thats it. I have been using it for a few days, and I have had 0 problems or disconnects. I'm happy with this because my laptop has the intel 3945abg built in wireless, which still has no working drivers.

THIS WORKED PERFECTLY!!!

Using a completely different dongle but with the same chipset. Thanks dude!

Edit: Using Leo4all 4.1 Mac OS X 10.5.4

To add a new network in the System Preferences pane, click on the '+' button. All of the interfaces seem to be called Ethernet, so try each one in turn until you find one that works.

But if the crab is still bouncing, you're not going to get anywhere. What vendor and product ID's does the System Profiler report for your dongle?

No new ethernet interfaces, or any for that matter, are available in the network preferences pane. Under Windows, the vendor ID is 0846 and the product ID is 4240. System Profiler gives the same information. Maybe plist editing or something similar is required to get this working.

Your vendor and product ID are the same as mine. I did not have to edit my info.plist (numbers in which are in decimal, not hexadecimal as they appear ion the System Preferences pane).

Just in case you do not have the correct driver, I got mine from here (the last link on the page):

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downlo...s=true#RTL8187B

The only other thing I can think of is that OSX had already recognised the wired network card in my machine, so it already had one network interface available to it. I have no idea if that matters or not.

Don't know if this will help or not, but I use a Netgear wg111v2 as my primary network connection right now using drivers from here:

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downlo...;Downloads=true

Its under the L section

This driver worked much better for me than the old one; the old driver constantly dropped connections or would not connect at all. This new one is much better.

• 4 weeks later...

The RTL8187L gets ejected when OS X goes to sleep and upon wake up OS X can not mount it because of an media error. [i Will edit this later]

In system Profiler the RTL8187L is seen as:

RTL8187_Wireless:

Removable Media: No

Detachable Drive: Yes

BSD Name: en2

Version: 1.00

Bus Power (mA): 500

Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec

Mac OS 9 Drivers: No

Partition Map Type: Unknown

Product ID: 0x8187

Serial Number: 0015AF372A70

Vendor ID: 0x0bda

I tried to find on the web if the same thing occurred when using a true USB RTL8187L WiFi key but with out any luck.

Possible USB WiFi keys are the:

NETGEAR WG111v2

Sercomm hpl8187

SiteCom WL168

Shenztech WU-RTL8187

I am curious to see if the profile for a USB RTL8187L Key isthe same as above especially the " Detachable Drive: Yes"

I wonder if there is a way of forcing this parameter to no?

Any help will be appreciated.

• 1 month later...

There are two different chipsets used on this dongle.

One's the Realtek (as we all know works), and the other is the Sagem XG-703A. (Hurrah for taking things apart!) If you can't get the Realtek drivers to work, that may be the problem.

As far as I've seen, they don't have Intel drivers out for the thing unless there's a prism54 driver for OS X.

NETGEAR WG111:

Version: 10.40

Manufacturer: GlobespanVirata

ProductID: 0x4240

Serial Number: 3887-0000

Vendor ID: 0x0846

(Output from System Profiler, omitting Speed and Bus Power.)

• 3 weeks later...