Netgear WG111 v2 USB dongle

Silent OSX

102 posts in this topic

I've seen that alot of Netgear wireless cards works with osx86..

This USB dongle is said to work with Windows, it doesn't say anything about OSX..

Has anybody tried it??

Chances are slim that it will show up as an Airport card since it's USB, but does it work at all?

/Silent

• 5 weeks later...

theres a mac osx realtek driver thats supposed to be the same chipset as the wg111v2, but it didnt work for me. So i just got myself a dwl-g122 and with the ralink drivers it worked perfectly.

It works for me on my iBook G3, under 10.3.9.

The thing is that I may have to unplug the key and replug it for the driver to see it.

Another thing, I don't think the drivers are Universal, so not for Intel.

• 1 year later...

Hi Everyone

I have an answer for all of you that might have the Netgear USB WG111v2 802.11 B/G wireless network adapter. After some extensive googling I found out that the actual chipset used in this usb device is from Realtek Semiconductor and is the RTL8187L chipset.

The drivers for MacOSX tiger (10.0 and above) can be found on the following link

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downlo...;Downloads=true

I have been using the driver and network adapter now for 5 days and everything works great

(On my Intel P4 3.0 Ghz Hackintosh running Mac OSX 10.4.10)

Also there is no need for special kernel patches from previous versions of the O/S (like patching the wireless from 10.3) to get the driver working.

Hope this helps someone :P

Troy

• 2 weeks later...

i've been looking for an answer like that for ages and ages, and i plan on trying this asap.

right now i've got an emul. install of vista going in Ubuntu x64 so i can't exactly reboot and test it.

i knew about the realtek chipset, but couldn't find that adapter..this will work via airport?

wireless in mac is something i haven't done before, hope this works for me, and thanks infinitely for the driver.

• 2 weeks later...

the version 2 (RTL8187L chipset) works well here. The realtek client utility is {censored} though. You have to connect and apply any custom settings 'by hand' after every reboot. It wasnt easy to figure out what settings are the best. The only configuration working for me is WPA2-PKS AES encription (I had to reconfigure the router). Advance Settings Tab: Mode:802.11b, auto. Channel Plan:FCC....

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I have the exact same USB Wireless Dongle. I managed to get the driver to see the network and connect. But it only stays connected a little while and then stops functioning even though the signal strength remains good.

Any ideas??

• 3 weeks later...

I have the exact same problem. It stays connected for a short while then disconnects. If anyone can let us know what we can do that would be great! Maybe post your setup info, such as whether you are using no encryption, wpa, wep, g or b, etc.

Thanks,

Matt

hey,

I'm typing this on my hackintosh in class through the wg111 v2, so I can tell you it works. It is based on realtek chipsets, if you havent found it already just search the forum or I can get the link for you, just let me know.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone

Sorry I haven't posted anything in here for awhile but i have been away - To everyone that has gotten the adapter to work from the driver link I posted, there is no need to thank me. I was just like everyone else trying to find out what driver (if any) was out there for the hackintosh. I just thought outside of the box and went chipset driver searching and not just product driver searching.

As for the driver not working in Leopard - It can work in Leopard - the trick is that you need to install the 10.4.5 networking patch (can be found either by searching on here or its on the kalyway and iATKOS install dvd's (I now use iATKOS and have managed to get working my onboard wifi card on my notebook (its an Acer 3681wxmi for reference perposes) Atheros / Intel based using the patched Atheros IO80211Family.kext located on the iATKOS v1 installation dvd.

PS I am aware of the sometimes connecting sometimes disconnecting problem but even with that an almost pefect solution is better than none at all. :(

Take care

Troy

• 3 weeks later...

I have a WG111v2 running on a P4 3 ghZ hackint0sh installed from the JaS iso running 10.4.8. For some reason whenever I try to start the UI software, the icon bounces up and down (for a while) and after a while, sits there without the arrow under it, indicating it is not running. No window appears, and the only options I get when I right click the icon is to force quit. I have tried reinstalling several times. Please help

I have a WG111v2 running on a P4 3 ghZ hackint0sh installed from the JaS iso running 10.4.8. For some reason whenever I try to start the UI software, the icon bounces up and down (for a while) and after a while, sits there without the arrow under it, indicating it is not running. No window appears, and the only options I get when I right click the icon is to force quit. I have tried reinstalling several times. Please help

same here.. i tried to install the networking patch off kalaway disk onto a toh 10.5.0 leo install and it seems the patch on the kalaway dvd is a realtek pci utility. unless the patch has a different name i cant seem to find the package on the dvd anywhere.

so i install the realtek driver posted which is for usb and all it does is bounce for a while and does not work.

what exactly is this 10.4.5 network patch and what does it do? is it safe to install on a fully functional 10.5.2 install? i dont want to mess up my wired networking or pci card, but id like to make sure this usb wifi works so i can install the proper drivers on my laptop (running toh sse2 10.5.0)

If you wanna use the realtek software,you must enable it first from network utility...after that it works fine.

ahhhhhh... if it was supported in network settings would there be a new device that isnt connected? cause all i show are my ethernet and firewire. so im pretty sure it doesnt work.. are there any cheap usb wifi dongles on frys.com or microcenter.com that are known to work? this is the 2nd ive tried that is going back

• 3 weeks later...

For WG111v3 go to Realtek website:

HOME > Downloads > Communications Network ICs > Wireless LAN ICs > WLAN NIC > IEEE 802.11a/b/g > MAC/BBP > Software

download RTL8187B

At first reboot i have a crash, but now it's OK