Chameleon RC4 is out!

Poco

1,054 posts in this topic

Made a new version. Changes:

1. Jedec Memory Manufactor Code Lookup for some common vendors (OCZ, G.Skill, Crossair, GeIL, Kingston)

Thank you so much. Works great here. I have Patriot, and my memory read out:

Size: 2 GB

Type: DDR2 SDRAM

Speed: 800 MHz

Manufacturer: 0x7f7f7f7f7f02

Part Number: 6400EL

Serial Number: 0x00000000

May be with next revision you can add something into the database, for other users as well.

Best,

Made a new version. Changes:

1. FACP RestartFix enabled by default if you have an Intel CPU
  2. Jedec Memory Manufactor Code Lookup for some common vendors (OCZ, G.Skill, Crossair, GeIL, Kingston)

Asere, thanks but version 1.1.2 still not show nothing ...

Tested with Chipset GM960/GM965 ICH8.

photo010910001.jpg

And the Platform ID in system profiler is wrong (checked it in Everest and BIOS) but at least with your patched boot i can inject the correct one with PlatformUUID.kext.

Hi Asere. You're right about me confusing serial with part number.

Here is my debug information using version 1.1.2 (sorry for the picture quality - cell phone camera).

BTW, I have noticed that after the boot0/boot1 message, I get a blinking cursor for 2 seconds then it writes a line "efi_something............" then OS X starts booting.

Is there anyway to make the boot loader silent? At least hide the blinking cursor and the efi_.... message

vielen Dank

Open device_inject.c and change this line:

printf("efi_inject_get_devprop_string NULL trying stringdata\n");

into:

verbose("efi_inject_get_devprop_string NULL trying stringdata\n"); // Used to be: printf(...

Added TeamElite lookup too in Version 1.1.2.

Thank You, here's my memory screenshot on 112 now with detected manufacturer... - question, is the bank2 suppose to be N/A? not an issue though since even using smbios plist, i never notice nor pay attention to that until now haha..

post-345318-1263062086_thumb.png

BTW, I have noticed that after the boot0/boot1 message, I get a blinking cursor for 2 seconds then it writes a line "efi_something............" then OS X starts booting.

Is there anyway to make the boot loader silent? At least hide the blinking cursor and the efi_.... message

i think i saw that too (if it's the same), using the boot w/o theme and QuietBoot=Y but before the apple logo appears there's an annoying text that displays in the middle of my screen hehe..

Ahhh... this is the "different" logo I used. Just remove the first hunk from the patch.

Thanks Asere - works awesome :) Now... not that I don't love your graphic for the boot...but how do I change it back to the Chameleon? Dumbass question I know :(

Now if I could only get rid of my last two sound assertion errors :)

thanks again!

Manufacturer: 0x7f7f7f7f7f02

Added Patriot for the next version.

@Asere is that memory stuff the code from MemTest?

As far I know there is a conflict in licensing...

No, it's not memtest based. It's based on a phone call (mch clkcfg), the existing spd stuff and my work.

Tested with Chipset GM960/GM965 ICH8.

Read my first post. Your chipset still isn't supported. Until now only: P55 & P35/P45/X38/X48 + ICH10, ICH9, ICH7.

Thanks Asere - works awesome :) Now... not that I don't love your graphic for the boot...but how do I change it back to the Chameleon? Dumbass question I know :(

Now if I could only get rid of my last two sound assertion errors :)

thanks again!

Use a theme of your choice in Extra/Themes. Default Theme Name is "Default". For others you must configure Theme=<Name> in com.apple.Boot.plist. The logo is the file: artwork/themes/default/logo.png

Added Patriot for the next version.

No, it's not memtest based. It's based on a phone call (mch clkcfg), the existing spd stuff and my work.

Read my first post. Your chipset still isn't supported. Until now only: P55 & P35/P45/X38/X48 + ICH10, ICH9, ICH7.

Use a theme of your choice in Extra/Themes. Default Theme Name is "Default". For others you must configure Theme=<Name> in com.apple.Boot.plist. The logo is the file: artwork/themes/default/logo.png

Thank you - One more stupid OT question - I take it it I use your "embedded Theme" booter? Cant get it to pick up any theme I put in

Hi Asere. You're right about me confusing serial with part number.

Here is my debug information using version 1.1.2 (sorry for the picture quality - cell phone camera).

Please try out this version. It would be very nice if you could verify different memory speeds (400, 533, 666, 800 Mhz). Configure it in the BIOS and check whether the Booter detects the correct frequency. I can't do it.

Asere

Thank you - One more stupid OT question - I take it it I use your "embedded Theme" booter? Cant get it to pick up any theme I put in

The Booter with the embedded theme shows only the embedded theme. You cannot override it. Use the small Booter "boot" instead.

boot.zip

Good to hear that, that mean the code will be released.

You funny, can you make a "phone call" for EDID and other stuff?

j/k

Please try out this version. It would be very nice if you could verify different memory speeds (400, 533, 666, 800 Mhz). Configure it in the BIOS and check whether the Booter detects the correct frequency. I can't do it.

Asere

The Booter with the embedded theme shows only the embedded theme. You cannot override it. Use the small Booter "boot" instead.

And I need to add the "Themes" folder because it isn't created automatically correct - Weird - Did it, changed to your small boot file - get a new boot icon from the theme I want when it starts booting - but nothing at the boot choice prompt - thanks for your help - I don't want to clog up this thread

And I need to add the "Themes" folder because it isn't created automatically correct - Weird - Did it, changed to your small boot file - get a new boot icon from the theme I want when it starts booting - but nothing at the boot choice prompt - thanks for your help - I don't want to clog up this thread

Got it - it was a bad theme ;)

Got it - it was a bad theme ;)

Actually I think it might be a bug in the small Boot file - You can load all themes with virgin RC3/RC4/thiagom's recompiled RC4 but this one will only load the odd one - try loading Blackosx's 3D theme with this release - It wont load - it will however with the others

Blackosx_3D_Theme.zip

Actually I think it might be a bug in the small Boot file - You can load all themes with virgin RC3/RC4/thiagom's recompiled RC4 but this one will only load the odd one - try loading Blackosx's 3D theme with this release - It wont load - it will however with the others

Well spotted.

That theme of mine was missing one file: progress_bar_background.pmg

It should be there for it to function properly.

Add this to the Blackosx_3D_Theme folder

progress_bar_background.png.zip

It's not a bug in the small Booter. The Blackos3D is not complete (progress_bar_background.png is missing). The "old" Booters have always a Default theme embedded. So if it fails to load an image from the theme directory, then it uses the embedded one instead. This does not work anymore. If you use a theme, then it must be complete. The next Booter version will printout an message, if it fails to load an image.

Asere

Memory speed detection is working fine for me, although it's not rounding up (ie. it says 666 not 667Mhz, but thats just cosmetic.)

The only issue remaining for me is memory detection (or reporting) for the second slot.

Also, please add Master Chief's suggestion to make the boot loader silent.

Open device_inject.c and change this line:

printf("efi_inject_get_devprop_string NULL trying stringdata\n");into:

verbose("efi_inject_get_devprop_string NULL trying stringdata\n"); // Used to be: printf(...

Thanks in advance

Well spotted.

That theme of mine was missing one file: progress_bar_background.pmg

It should be there for it to function properly.

Add this to the Blackosx_3D_Theme folder

That fixed it - I am wondering if some of your other themes are missing the file as well as they would't work eithe

thanks again

I am wondering if some of your other themes are missing the file as well as they would't work eithe

thanks again

I wouldn't have thought so, though there's always a possibility. But now Asere has said about adding code for the booter to issue a message if it find's a missing file, then at least it won't be a guessing game as to why a theme fails due to a missing file.

Hi folks,

New Features:

1. Dynamic memory parameter detecting and injecting like Frequency, Type (DDR2, DDR3), Manufactor, Partnumber, Serialnumber. You can remove all memory related stuff from smbios.plist.
  2. You can build Chameleon with GUI-support without the need of an embedded theme (Never understood why this should be necessary). The Booter is a lot smaller now. Only 160 kBytes.
  3. Platform UUID is taken from the BIOS (UUID from SMBIOS Table 1). You can remove PlatformUUID.kext, SMUUID from smbios.plist and also System-ID from com.apple.Boot.plist.
  4. Dynamic PCI-Root-UID detection from PCEFI 10.5
  5. Duvell300's FACP Restart Fix added (from here)

Bugfixes:

1. First of all I fixed the stupid bug with the fixed Platform UUID.
  2. Fixed a bug regarding PCI-Root-UID different than 0
  3. Fixed a bug regarding the detection of the CPU
  4. Fixed dozens of possible buffer overflows
  5. and all the bugs I forgot to mention

Hi, interesting work.

I also modified RC4 to add PciRoot autodetection that I injected from netkas pcefi 10.5.

I also added an option to set the system-id to a value of your choice.

My version has been recently incorporated in Dr. Hurt new unofficial RC4_V3 installer.

What would be interesting is to merge the code so that your work can be reviewed and still maintain some compatibility with what has already been done/released.

More precisely, it could be nice to harmonize your system-id modifications with mine, i.e: if no override is set in the com.apple.Boot.plist, then you read the bios value isntead of injecting an 0x12345678... arbitrary value as it is done in original RC4 from the IntVar original contrib.

I would be interested to have a look to your sources, did you reference them in this forum ?

I also have new ideas for chameleon that should be less than a couple of hours of work to implement but cant find the time right now, like:

Adding a 'Rename Partition' option so that we can rename some weird names like 'System Reserved' into "Windows 7' as an example.

I also think about developing a chameleon system preferences panel similar to the current Startup panel (that we cant use on our hacks with chameleon) but that would recognize all our boot partitions.

We should team up, not only you and me, but I think of the voodoo team and the chameleon team to all contribute to a SINGLE version repository (maybe in the voodoo google project ?) :)

I don't know how to use your patch file for making from it the sources needed to compile Chameleon with your modifications, is there a command or something that i don't know?

Ok i've found how:

patch -p1 < path_to_the_diff

from the source's path

Hi Asere,

Just took a quick look at your 1.1.2 patch. It contains many interesting improvements.

Btw I think you need to re-license your currently GPL'ed files found in this APSL based project in order to bypass the GPL-APSL incompatibility issue .

diff -Naur Chameleon-2.0-RC4-r684-src/i386/libsaio/mem.c AsereBLN_v1.1.2_clean/i386/libsaio/mem.c
--- Chameleon-2.0-RC4-r684-src/i386/libsaio/mem.c	1970-01-01 01:00:00.000000000 +0100
+++ AsereBLN_v1.1.2_clean/i386/libsaio/mem.c	2010-01-09 13:32:57.000000000 +0100
@@ -0,0 +1,27 @@
+/*
+ * Copyright 2010 AsereBLN. All rights reserved. <aserebln@googlemail.com>
+ * Released under version 2 of the Gnu Public License (GPLv2).
+ *
+ * mem.c - obtain system memory information
+ */
+ 

I would say github. Not another voodoo project (bad name IMHO).

Sounds Great, Zef what do you think think about a manageable common source repository, where anybody could send a patch, and only few folks could commit to it ?

I would really like that all the programming talents that contribute often here will now save some precious time and energy by ensuring that their hard work will be considered at only one place without the risk of missing something important and also with only few people to decide how to harmonize/integrate the code ( I don't include myself in these admin people).

In my real life, I'm also a significant open source developer and one thing I'd like to point out here is how important for our community it will be to work in the same matrix, with common methods and tools.

PS: WB MC, always good to read you.

Hi,

The information in RAM can be incorporated in the smbios.plist with all the information that is available.

I have little to do that without problem.

BANK0/DIMM0 :

Taille : 2 Go

Type : DDR2 SDRAM

Vitesse : 1066 MHz

État : OK

Fabricant : Kingston Technology Company.Inc.

Numéro de pièce : KHX8500D2K2/2GN

Numéro de série : 81CCE24Ch (1289931905)

BANK2/DIMM2 :

Taille : 2 Go

Type : DDR2 SDRAM

Vitesse : 1066 MHz

État : OK

Fabricant : Kingston Technology Company.Inc.

Numéro de pièce : KHX8500D2K2/2GN

Numéro de série : 81CCE24Ch (1289931905)

In smbios.plist:

<key>SMmemspeed</key>

<string>1066</string>

<key>SMmemmanufacter_1</key>

<string>Kingston Technology Company.Inc.</string>

<key>SMmemserial_1</key>

<string>81CCE24Ch (1289931905)</string>

<key>SMmempart_1</key>

<string>KHX8500D2K2/2GN</string>