Chameleon RC4 is out!

Poco

1,054 posts in this topic

@Rek,

The reboot on my Asus board is triggered by getSmbiosUUID() Returning NULL at the top stops the instant reboots (preliminary finding). Have to get some sleep now.

Zef and MC, please have a try to r114 and report if you get any debug message,

should permit to clarify what's going on, for sure it has to to do with smbios tables adressing, construction and init ...

@Flashe: this is work in progress, and there several issues we try to address concerning the recent new functionalities, so if it does not work for you, please be patient and wait for a new RC5pre release.

I have very few time right now and can't help you much as the little time I have, I spend it on troubleshooting booter issues.

EDIT: Would it be correct to say then that Windows 7 will generally only sleep if it's on the active partition of the HDD that's used to boot it providing there isn't a System Reserved partition?

Don't know if it's of any use, but in my experience, Windows 7 will only sleep if it has been booted by it's own loader on the boot drive. I've never got it to sleep if it's been booted with Chameleon.

I have 3 drives with W7, SL and Leo. If I boot W7 from any drive apart from it's own, it won't sleep. It'll boot OK from Chameleon loaders, but just won't sleep. So, as I use W7 a lot more than SL, I just have to select the SL drive in the BIOS startup options when I want to use SL.

Zef and MC, please have a try to r114 and report if you get any debug message, should permit to clarify what's going on, for sure it has to to do with smbios tables adressing, construction and init ...

Please help me to understand how this "caching" is supposed to work:

** Get soriginal or new smbios entry point, if sucessfull, the adresses are cached for next time */
789	struct SMBEntryPoint *getSmbios(int which)
790	{
791		static struct SMBEntryPoint *orig = NULL; // cached
792		static struct SMBEntryPoint *patched = NULL; // cached

Not only that because getAddressOfSmbiosTable() is called three times here. Then DMI gets patched and some white garbage is moving from left to right over my screen before it reboots.

Looks like it is trying to patch it a few times in a row ;)

I just tried fdisk440 from voodoo forums and it worked well. Windows 7 still boots, installation is now much easier. Thanks for pointing that out, Zef. I'll use it with boot0hfs when RC5 is released, that is if you don't mind.

On my last install, I used Win7 Retail, as opposed to the past RC1 installs I've done. I noticed it didn't create that system reserved partition, and I was curious as to why. The setup was exactly the same IIRC as before.

It did create one with me. Are you sure it's not there? Does it not show up (hidden) in Disk Management as 'System Reserved'?

@rekursor:

Thanks!

With r115 I can boot again :)

Attached my verbose mode booter output, there are 6x new repeating DMI related messages now.

So that it was ...

you have a bios that stores 68 tables and the limit was 64 ...

next version will handle that and the messages will disappear ;)

Thanks for testing that, ASUS bioses seem to have the most complete dmi implementation,

good to know for the future ...

It did create one with me. Are you sure it's not there? Does it not show up (hidden) in Disk Management as 'System Reserved'?

Well, i observed one thing on my installs. If you use Wizard for create partition(auto) in Setup, it creates automatically the "System Reserved" partition. But, if you create an partition manually then format and select it for use, Setup not will create the "System Reserved" partition.

Regards.

Hi to all. Someone can post me last boot for try. Now i'm on my vaio formatted today and i haven't yet installed xcode.

Thanks

I have compiled last version at trunk: r116. See attach. Also included fdisk440.

Regards.

Edit: Time to update trunk: r117 (restored the mem detection desactivated by default but it should not be possible to reactivate it with UseMemDetect)

I have compiled last version at trunk: r116. See attach. Also included fdisk440.

Regards.

Edit: Time to update trunk: r117 (restored the mem detection desactivated by default but it should not be possible to reactivate it with UseMemDetect)

Thanks

Thanks

Only r118 permits again to activate with UseMemDetect, because the mem detection for now uses dmi tables and therefore previous behavior would not permit to load only the original smbios, then do the mem detection, then patch the smbios.

It now works in r118, but be aware that for those who got problem with the autodetection recently, it is unlikely that this release would fix the problem.

Only the users for which it worked previously will get the correct results.

@blackosx and others who got the profile error:

I don't recommend to activate autodetection (With UseMemDetect=y) for now,

I'm going to work more on it, in my branch and will let you know when I get a better impl ...

Here's the pre12 that does permit to experiment mem autodetection

but disable it by default:

RC5pre12.tar.gz

Only r118 permits again to activate with UseMemDetect, because the mem detection for now uses dmi tables and therefore previous behavior would not permit to load only the original smbios, then do the mem detection, then patch the smbios.

It now works in r118, but be aware that for those who got problem with the autodetection recently, it is unlikely that this release would fix the problem.

Only the users for which it worked previously will get the correct results.

@blackosx and others who got the profile error:

I don't recommend to activate autodetection (With UseMemDetect=y) for now,

I'm going to work more on it, in my branch and will let you know when I get a better impl ...

Here's the pre12 that does permit to experiment mem autodetection

but disable it by default:

RC5pre12.tar.gz

Great work! Thanks. Testing here then post results.

Regards.

Is there a site where ordinary ( non dev team ) folks can see some explanation of the various components and how to manually install them.

e.g., what is the function of boot.sys and how do I chose between boot0 vs boot0hfs or boot1h vs (/1he/1hp)?

I know I may be the only viewer here that does not understand this, but I kinda doubt it.

ps: none of that is a complaint or reduces my appreciation for all your hard work.

@rekursor latest build works, both DumpSPD and UseMemDetect functions does the job. :)

I noticed you moved stuff from prechameleon screen after OS is selected to sped up stuff :P

It does stall a bit on Smbios.plist but is better :(

Good job!

Just to see what would happen on my old iron, I installed boot, boot0 and boot1h from the RC5pre12.tar.gz attached to post#918.

That worked fine so I added a UseMemDetect = yes to my Boot.plist - just to see if it made a difference. Well, it made a difference I didn't want. When I press enter on the boot menu I see 3 or 4 lines of text flash by and it is back at the boot menu.

No problem, I boot with an install disk and use a terminal session with vi to remove the UseMemDetect line. Problem is, it didn't change anything. I can only boot the system now using a pre-boot CD.

Well, I dug my own pit and can't blame anyone but myself. Still, it would be helpful if someone could tell me how to dig my way out - short of a reinstall :P

Actually, I think I will wait a while before I "experiment" with this again.

@rekursor latest build works, both DumpSPD and UseMemDetect functions does the job. :(

I noticed you moved stuff from prechameleon screen after OS is selected to sped up stuff :D

It does stall a bit on Smbios.plist but is better ;)

Good job!

What is DumpSPD?