Chameleon RC4 is out!

Poco

1,054 posts in this topic

logo.png

In addition to the many patches a fixes included in this new version, a few new features for the bootloader made this cut.

We’re back again with this new RC4 version. Since the last RC3 release, we received many patches and fixes, and also backported some important features like ATI graphics device injection, EFI64 tables and PCI root configuration. Also added a new boot option for hiding unwanted foreign partitions from the boot menu.

Hide Partition

Using this option you can enumerate all your partitions what you would like to remove from the boot menu, the syntax is similar to the Default Partition option but here you can specify many volumes in your com.apple.Boot.plist:

PciRoot

This is a similar option what you can find in PC_EFI, but we’re doing this a bit different: The default value is still 0 but you can set to any arbitrary value.

Visit http://chameleon.osx86.hu for more info and download links.

Credit goes to:

Developers: Crazor, Dense, fassl, iNDi, Kabyl, kaitek, mackerintel, mercurysquad, munky, Turbo, zef

Thanks to: bumby, cosmo1t, dfe, Galaxy, kalyway, netkas, sckevyn, XyZ

Installer

Dr.Hurt has put together an installer package which is available for download here

As mentioned please do not report problems related to the installer to the Voodoo Team

Works ok for me, only a curios thing... after 1º boot with rc4 itunes gave me a splash screen about acept agreement use like it was 1º time in open it , and now in system profile under pci cards shows me my pcie video card, and finally no more CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35 on system log

Thanks

Works ok for me, only a curios thing... after the boot with rc4 itunes gave me a splash screen about acept agreement use like it was 1� time in open it , and now in system profile under pci cards shows me my pcie video card, and finally no more CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35 on system log

Thanks

You're all welcome, I didn't expect that the fix would get so many enthusiastic greetings ouside the P55 mobos thread,

but the merit goes to the chameleon and the PCEFI10.5 teams, I just integrated what I still found superior in PCEFI10.5 into this great chameleon RC4 release :wacko:

Concerning the itunes litlle side effect, it probably comes from the fact that since RC4, a new smbios system-id is added,

this UUID makes obsolete the need of kexts like PlatformUUID.kext, but as it defines a new UUID, some applications thinks you're running them from a new system, that make sense and should not be a problem.

Concerning the itunes litlle side effect, it probably comes from the fact that since RC4, a new smbios system-id is added,

this UUID makes obsolete the need of kexts like PlatformUUID.kext, but as it defines a new UUID, some applications thinks you're running them from a new system, that make sense and should not be a problem.

Hi,

can you tell me, please, if there is an option to change the UUID with RC4 in com.apple.Boot.plist or smbios.plist maybe.

Thanks for the fix!

Hi,

can you tell me, please, if there is an option to change the UUID with RC4 in com.apple.Boot.plist or smbios.plist maybe.

Thanks for the fix!

You have an smbios field called SMUUID, you can change it, make sure that the last (5th) field matches your ethernet card unique id, like when you customize the platformUUID.kext, have a search in this forum to know how to do that.

You have an smbios field called SMUUID, you can change it, make sure that the last (5th) field matches your ethernet card unique id, like when you customize the platformUUID.kext, have a search in this forum to know how to do that.

many thanks, now i try.

I use MACtoplatformUUID to generate the UUID but also the ethernet mac address was ok with platformUUID

again thank's for the info.

This is probably just an oversight on the end of the Chameleon team, but having an option to specify a UUID would have saved a lot of people from running into this problem. Which can get nasty as iTunes accounts are limited to 5 computers, and not everyone would want to re-install RC3 just to get that nth computer back. Not good.

You are right, in fact it was already in my smbios i didn't remember but isn't working

True. With rc3 or better pcefi 5 this option in my smbios has never worked, never, the only "thing" that has worked rather was platformuuid. Now don't working both, but i think that the feature will back with pcefi 6, or better i hope it :)

This is probably just an oversight on the end of the Chameleon team, but having an option to specify a UUID would have saved a lot of people from running into this problem. Which can get nasty as iTunes accounts are limited to 5 computers, and not everyone would want to re-install RC3 just to get that nth computer back. Not good.

Good idea, I think I could add this feature as well rapidly, i.e : I could create a new "PlatformUID= <my_uuid>" flag in com.apple.Boot.plist where <my_uuid> would be the 16 bytes value in hexadecimal.

No override would give the same autogen uuid value as in RC4.

Would it be interesting for more than a couple of guys ?

If yes, I'll do that.

Good idea, I think I could add this feature as well rapidly, i.e : I could create a new "PlatformUID= " flag in com.apple.Boot.plist where would be the 16 bytes value in hexadecimal.

If yes, I'll do that.

Yes, sure. :)

Good idea, I think I could add this feature as well rapidly, i.e : I could create a new "PlatformUID= <my_uuid>" flag in com.apple.Boot.plist where <my_uuid> would be the 16 bytes value in hexadecimal.

If yes, I'll do that.

Me shure too!

And IMHO would be great also if it's possible a lite version without the gui.

I think RC4 and the "integrated" UUID function solved an old issue i had. The Keyboard Layout reseting at every reset.

I'll double check and post later.

OK, I modified the bootfile so that we can change the system-id (and not the old IOPlatformUUID).

This is because, though I tried to restore this feature: it has absolutely no effect anymore (at least) on a 10.6.2 system,

so I guess this is why it has been disabled in recent chameleon releases ...

Since the IntVar fix, it works like this : the system-id is autogenerated (by uuidgen) then the system generates an IOPlatformUUID from this system ID.

So in few words, we can only change the system id.

This is tricky because you will only be able to check that the resulting IOPlatformUUID is changed if you change the system-id by putting your own UUID, but you won't be able to read this system ID in the profile info.

Still, it should work and give you a way to avoid to generate a random system-id.

Here's the boot file and the related sources for testing:

boot_with_SystemID_option.zip

To insert your own system-id, use the new flag "SystemID=<my_uuid>" in your com.Boot.plist file

where <my_uuid> is your 16 bytes UUID like : 78346D3C-DFBE-41A4-8F98-16C2ED7AEE7D for instance.

Tell me what you think ;)

Hi,

I've tried the new version, it does change my uuid but not with the one i put in com.apple.boot.plist is this all right?

At start up, i have: configuring system ID: with the uuid i've put in com.apple.Boot.plist

Yes, it was designed to work that way.

rekursor, Nicely done!