Chameleon 2.0 FINAL "release" Installer

Dr. Hurt

129 posts in this topic

Edit: After being asked by many people, I created a V3 with the following changes:

1- Added option to install boot loader to different partitions including USB disks.

2- Added rekursor's modified boot which allows changing the UUID.

3- Added a more advanced script. Fixes many problems and errors some people had.

This is an unofficial installation package.

Great job Dr Hurt !

Thanks for including my contrib as well, just one question:

Does it also include the automatic (by default) detection of pciroot that I injected in RC4 from PCEFI 10.5 ?

EDIT: yes it seems to include that as well, just tested that on one of my hackintosh requiring this mod,

So this installer becomes my default installer :star_smile:

Thanks !

Hello Dr. Hurt,

thanks for your installer. Does it only work in 32 bits? For me, it doesn't work in 64bits, not loaded fakesmac and any kexts, not boot the system in 64 bits.

Thanks,

GA-P55-UD6

i7 860

GFORCE 9500GT

SNOW 10.6.2

Anyone care to tell me how it went with V3?

Well, it went flawlessly.

Its even got me rid off some error messages in the fast booting Chameleon windows ;-)

But I cannot find a way to point it out my Karmic Koala partition etx4 formated style....

If anyone can share how to add this into Chameleon ... it would be nice.

;-)

Hi, and greetings!

Thank you Dr. Hurt, it works great. I reinstalled the OS and this time it rebooted properly, whereas before it froze.

UPDATE: updated to 10.5.8 via iDeneb 10.5.8 Combo Kit.

The thing says upon boot for the Chameleon Bootloader at top: 2 Rc 3 no build number. this part seems to be a leftover from the last Rc? Or is it intentional? or is it truly an Rc3?

Ok, I figured it out, somewhere I read to install PCEFI 10 along with Chameleon 2 rc4, which doesn't make sense at first.

But, after reading, I thought this must be some new trick!

Well, needless to say, only one bootloader.

In Windows 7, bootloader is in the separate partition called "System Reserved" 100MB in size. You can look at it if you mounted the drive usin NTFS-3G. This is what I thought, someone was referring to.

Thus, when reading the Documents for Chameleon 2 rc4 I missed the part about installing to your OSX Partition and not to the EFI Partition.

This time I grabbed the First one on your original post and installed it just now. came up fine.

What I want to do is install Chameleon into the EFI partition and have it identify all the hardware and pass it on to the prospective kernel, and then have the kernel grab the necessary files to load OS X.

Have a good evening.

Stu

Hi Dr Hurt, as reported days ago I have no problem with your installer, but i would ask you if there is a way to put some other file in the /Extra folder and maybe also in /S/L/E so with one installer i could have all that my configuration needs.

This could be useful for who make guide also.

Please let me know how to do.

With other installer there is "show package contents" but not in yours.

Hi Dr Hurt, as reported days ago I have no problem with your installer, but i would ask you if there is a way to put some other file in the /Extra folder and maybe also in /S/L/E so with one installer i could have all that my configuration needs.

This could be useful for who make guide also.

Please let me know how to do.

With other installer there is "show package contents" but not in yours.

The new installer package is created using the latest version of xcode to improve compatibility with SL. The new xcode compresses the packages in a different way so you won't get show package contents. I can't add anything to the default installer package because everyone has different needs.

If you want to add your custom extras you'd need to create a package yourself. I personally create a folder with the installer package and all my extras, and zip them together so the I could add all my extras right after the installer finishes.

The new installer package is created using the latest version of xcode to improve compatibility with SL. The new xcode compresses the packages in a different way so you won't get show package contents. I can't add anything to the default installer package because everyone has different needs.

If you want to add your custom extras you'd need to create a package yourself. I personally create a folder with the installer package and all my extras, and zip them together so the I could add all my extras right after the installer finishes.

Ok thanks

i'll try to have a look at xcode

Hello Dr. Hurt,

thanks for your installer. Does it only work in 32 bits? For me, it doesn't work in 64bits, not loaded fakesmac and any kexts, not boot the system in 64 bits.

Thanks,

GA-P55-UD6

i7 860

GFORCE 9500GT

SNOW 10.6.2

Same here, installed package and was stuck at SMC.Kext does not match magic key, or what not. Would only boot 32bit. Would not boot 64bit kexts. Hmmm...

Alright fixed the 32bit to 64bit boot. You will have to reinstall 32/64bit kexts into /Extra/Extensions and run this automated terminal command, which will repair all permissions and remake your mkext for you for S/L/E and /Extra/Extensions. Helped me, so I'll share it.

It has come to my attention that this script is looking for Extra/Extensions, so if you use DD's script, it will not see your extensions and cause it to make a blank mkext, because his script creates the folders Extra/Stored_Kexts, instead of Extra/Extensions. Just run this and then run DD's script, and it will make the mkext for you. Restart machine and then all should be good.

Download it here pfix2.3.zip

Edit: After being asked by many people, I created a V3 with the following changes:

1- Added option to install boot loader to different partitions including USB disks.

2- Added rekursor's modified boot which allows changing the UUID.

3- Added a more advanced script. Fixes many problems and errors some people had.

This is an unofficial installation package.

PLEASE don't report any problems related to the installation package to Voodoo team. The Voodoo team is responsible for the boot loader itself only.

Use at your own risk

Huge thanks to everyone who contributed to making all this possible.

More information at:

Chameleon website (use google to find it since I'm not allowed to put link here)

NB: With this version we no longer need to use platformUUID.kext

Which One above: the First One at the top or the Bottom One?

Reason being, I took the Bottom One and upon boot it says 2 RC3 no build number.

I may have taken the wrong one.

How to stat it? check, examine, look at, configs (excluding Boot.plist --and boot up,)--simulator? I assume it installs to EFI partition? And would have to read the ?Docs? that go with it. where's the schematics, blueprints to examine this thing, without flowcharts that only some wiz can understand --namely the one that wrote it--

Originally, I had PCEFI-v9 and then put in v10 rc4, but that screwed up the memory speed identification to 0MHz. So, I removed, v10 rc4.

Now, I would like to remove Chameleon 2 all together to start over. As alot of these distros for non-vanilla, non-intel are very short on description and it becomes more of a risk to use. At the moment, I put back, PCEFI v9 while running, Chameleon 2 rc 3/4 cannot tell which RC truly, because I have no way to look at it other than the GUI at boot.

thanks for your kindness.

Happy New Year

99 downloads and not a single report on how well it worked.

PEOPLE, IS THE NEW PACKAGE WORKING?

Doesn't work for me.

post-470328-1262696710_thumb.png

run postupgrade script for packageroot

is the error I get.

Does someone have any idea what i do wrong?

I use 10.5.7

EDIT: And where Chameleon RC2 was, I now get:

Starting up ...

boot1: error

EDIT2: Nevermind, I did the manual install, and that worked.

(It was easier than I thought)

Dear all,

I installed version 4. It gave me two options, 1) Leapord, 2) Ubuntu

On selecting 1), nothing happens, on selecting 2), grub2 loads and shows all OS inclduing Leapord and lets boot in them successfully.

Any clue on whats wrong with 1)? why Leapord10.5.8 is not botting.

BTW, version 1 was working fine on the same setup but that does not show any option and directly boots Leapord.

Dear all,

I installed version 4. It gave me two options, 1) Leapord, 2) Ubuntu

On selecting 1), nothing happens, on selecting 2), grub2 loads and shows all OS inclduing Leapord and lets boot in them successfully.

Any clue on whats wrong with 1)? why Leapord10.5.8 is not botting.

BTW, version 1 was working fine on the same setup but that does not show any option and directly boots Leapord.

How do you mean, nothing happens?

A black screen?

No error messages?

And Leopard boots with grub, so the problem seems to be

Chameleon, can you reinstall chameleon and see what happens then?

Did you have to do something special to get ubuntu inside Chameleon?

I never got Ubuntu in chameleon 2, RC2 and RC4 :)

Hello Dr. Hurt, just wondering about something, I did not posted before, but I'm doing it now. Its just so weird that for example I will explain what I just did:

Partitioned disk in 3 gpt

I installed SL, everthing ran perfect.

Installed Win7 and so Win7 was loading then, Used diskpart and changed active volume to OSX partition, then I got just a blinking "_".

Connected the hdd to my desktop and reinstalled chameleon with your package, rebooted laptop and same "_".

BUUUT (heres my whole point) if I use this file: "Chameleon_v1012.pkg" and then your package everything is fixed.

Theres something in your package that is missing (vs that one).

I think if thats fixed a lot of people will not have the blinking "_" issue.

Hope that helps!

Cheers

Nano

can you update your installer with http://www.efixusers.com/showthread.php?t=644 ? :(

Hi Dr Hurt,

I'm making an installer for the Asus P6T Deluxe V2 motherboard and I'd like to adapt your postflight code into my installer. Is it OK if I use it? I would prominently display a notice and give proper credit to you.

My code only does the fdisk and dd commands and then copies boot to the installation volume. I'd like to have the extra code that checks for different boot loaders and all the error checking your script does.

Thanks

P.S. tried to PM you but your Inbox is full.

Dr. Hurt -- When I run the revised package, I get the splash screen, then it skips over the "destination selection" and only shows my Sno Leo hdd as a destination. Previous version of the RC4 wouldn't let me install to a USB stick. This looks like it won't either but without a destination select window, whereas earlier, it would show all the drives but with alert triangles in the unsupported ones.

OOOOPS Never Mind -- downloaded wrong package!

• 2 weeks later...

hi there!

I'm new around here so... :)

I'm trying to install snow leopard 10.6.2 to my Intel based pc (Quad core xeon, mainboard: DX48BT2) and when I try boot from the dvd, it says that message...(system config file /com.apple.Boot.plist not found)...if I install this patch(RC2 V3) to the ISO..it should work? thx

L.E. Now i'm using 10.5.8...the latest chameleon (v3) works perfect ;)