Chameleon 2 RC4

scwhar

68 posts in this topic

Seen it mentioned here and there on this board but deserves its own topic I think (is there any more important software for osx86?).

"We’re back again with this new RC4 version. Since the last RC3 release, we received many patches and fixes, and also backported some important features like ATI graphics device injection, EFI64 tables and PCI root configuration. Also added a new boot option for hiding unwanted foreign partitions from the boot menu."

You can get it at chameleon.osx86.hu - just changing boot file of your current chameleon works

Seems to have most of the features of pcEFI 10.5 and a few new ones, hiding partitions is very nice feature if you have about a dozen like me.

GraphicsEnabler does not work for my old Nvidia Card (7300LE).

Netkas' 10.5 efi boot file works fine with GraphicsEnabler.

EFI string works though (with rc4 boot) - that is what I'm using right now. Rc4 + efi string instead of GraphicsEnabler

It is no biggie since I can use EFI string, but I really wonder why it is not working. I don't think I missed something.

Anyway, great work Chameleon Team! I love the Hide Partition, works well!

Congratulations to all involved into the Chameleon project for the hard and marvelous work done and for the RC4! Cheers :gun:

I was wondering what will happen if I hide the partition on which the Chameleon boot file is installed (also com.apple.boot.plist, kexts, dsdt, etc.)? For sure OS X will boot and reboot successfuly, but what if i want to replace dsdt file or any kext and the partition is hidden?

I was wondering what will happen if I hide the partition on which the Chameleon boot file is installed (also com.apple.boot.plist, kexts, dsdt, etc.)? For sure OS X will boot and reboot successfuly, but what if i want to replace dsdt file or any kext and the partition is hidden?

It only hides the partition in chameleon at boot, once you have got into osx it is still visible.

About bloody time! :) Great work everyone.

Did the CPU injection from DigitalDJ make it in? I don't see anything about it in the docs.

Yes it did.

Quote: "Added DigitalDJ’s SMBIOS CPU detection patch"

p.s. I wonder if you can boot when all drives are set to: "not-installed" in the BIOS. I mean without AHCI detection in the BIOS. That would shorten the boot time considerably! I mean who needs that crappy BIOS boot screen anyway :gun:

Note: I disabled all but my boot drive. Much faster this way!

I tried it and it works great as expected. My favorite new feature is the IntVar patch which means WE NO LONGER NEED PlatformUUID.kext anymore. YES, one more kext thrown away ;)

I also updated my old installer with the RC4 to ease the installation process.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...=201850&hl=

I only copy the new boot to / and remove the old ... but now i have a problem:

i had corrected the UUID with PlatformUUID.kext (i took from Everest/DMI in Windows), but now Chameleon 2.0 RC4 override the value with wrong data, so how i can inject the correct data ?

I don't know if there's a way, but I don't think matters that much.

GraphicsEnabler does not work for my old Nvidia Card (7300LE).

Netkas' 10.5 efi boot file works fine with GraphicsEnabler.

EFI string works though (with rc4 boot) - that is what I'm using right now. Rc4 + efi string instead of GraphicsEnabler

It is no biggie since I can use EFI string, but I really wonder why it is not working. I don't think I missed something.

Anyway, great work Chameleon Team! I love the Hide Partition, works well!

GraphicsEnabler no longer works for my Nvidia 8800gts (512) either. I'll try reverting back to the EFI string as well for now.

GraphicsEnabler no longer works for my Nvidia 8800gts (512) either. I'll try reverting back to the EFI string as well for now.

All Gigabyte users that report GraphicsEnabler option not working did remember to add this into com.apple.Boot.plist ?

<key>PciRoot</key>

<string>1</string>

Because for me that option works just fine.

Tried RC4 on my retail 10.5.8 install. Not only did this release NOT fix the "unable to resume sleepfile when using 4GB+ of RAM" bug, but the patch they used to supposedly fix it (Radekg's) breaks bootup functionality entirely if there is any sleepfile present- it completely locks up. ForceWake=y doesn't make a bit of difference either, so the only way to start OSX again is replacing the boot file or using a bootcd. I'm back to using RC3, so that I can actually USE Chameleon.

No offense to the fine folk behind this, but there seems to be a ton of bugs with this "we included everyone else's patches and called it RC4" release ;) Real shame since I was so looking forward to it.

PS. Maybe this only works for the 64-bit SL crowd? Booting RC4 with -v, the only line it displays before locking up is:

Loaded HFS+ file: [system/Library/CoreServices/System Version.plist]

Kind of a nasty hack if it deadlocks for anyone with an active sleepfile who isn't specifically running 10.6.x in 64-bit mode...

All Gigabyte users that report GraphicsEnabler option not working did remember to add this into com.apple.Boot.plist ?

<key>PciRoot</key>

<string>1</string>

Hi,

I already tried PciRoot=1 and it was still the same. I'm pretty sure that my PciRoot is 0 though.

Since EFI string is still working, I'll stick to it for now. I'm just reporting my experience with GraphicsEnabler :wacko:

<key>PciRoot</key>

<string>1</string>

I can confirm that this works for me.

I have an 8800gt, and with the new boot file and no pc-Root=1 option, my card was not detected properly.

Adding that fixed it right up.

I can confirm that this works for me.

I have an 8800gt, and with the new boot file and no pc-Root=1 option, my card was not detected properly.

Adding that fixed it right up.

Ok, I tried it again. I'm now puzzled why GraphicsEnabler is working!! I'm pretty sure I tried adding PciRoot + GraphicsEnabler in boot.plist before and it did not work. It might be a mystery or a typo lol.

Anyway, glad it worked now.

Thanks for the tip.

Ok, I tried it again. I'm now puzzled why GraphicsEnabler is working!! I'm pretty sure I tried adding PciRoot + GraphicsEnabler in boot.plist before and it did not work. It might be a mystery or a typo lol.

Anyway, glad it worked now.

Thanks for the tip.

I have had a couple KPs on re-booting with the new boot file. Nothing I can reproduce with any consistency, but its happened about 4 out of 12 times.

I also can't get the new Chameleon to load any other themes than the embedded Default...

Maybe some bugs?

I tried it and it works great as expected. My favorite new feature is the IntVar patch which means WE NO LONGER NEED PlatformUUID.kext anymore. YES, one more kext thrown away :)

I also updated my old installer with the RC4 to ease the installation process.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...=201850&hl=

IntVar patch?

Would you elaborate on this feature a bit more or direct me to some info?

I'd like to know how this UUID is created and if it remains the same for the same hardware.

MAJ

Hi,

I already tried PciRoot=1 and it was still the same. I'm pretty sure that my PciRoot is 0 though.

Since EFI string is still working, I'll stick to it for now. I'm just reporting my experience with GraphicsEnabler :)

You don't happen to have anything graphics related in your DSDT do you? Also, remove old cruft from files like: com.apple.Boot.plist and wherever you put the device properties – read EFI strings – into!

IntVar patch?

Would you elaborate on this feature a bit more or direct me to some info?

I'd like to know how this UUID is created and if it remains the same for the same hardware.

MAJ

Let me help you. Look here :D

<key>PciRoot</key>

<string>1</string>

Eh. There's a patch for it. They didn't incorporate the PCI bus number patch? I mean it's in the freaking DSDT!