Asus Rampage II Gene Hackintosh

dgsga

80 posts in this topic

Hi dgsga

I'd like to use your DSDT.dsl but I have an ATI 4870 graphics card, and to make things worse it won't fit in the slot nearest the edge of the board, can you give me any pointers as to how I might edit your dsl to activate the other slot?

I have the gfx card currently working using a kext, so does this mean I can simply remove the 'Device (IOS1)' section and compile your DSDT?

I noticed there is a working DSDT for my gfx card here but I'm still learning and have not figured out how to 'merge' DSDT files yet.

Thanks for all your hard work with the Gene II, it's much appreciated.

I would also like to try this micro dsdt, but would need the first pcie slot for my sli.

Can please someone shed some light on which line correspond to PCIE in dsdt? I have both (original dsdt and micro one) files loaded in editor and Im comparing them, but I can find which lines of code are responsible for PCIE?

• 2 weeks later...
I would also like to try this micro dsdt, but would need the first pcie slot for my sli.

Can please someone shed some light on which line correspond to PCIE in dsdt? I have both (original dsdt and micro one) files loaded in editor and Im comparing them, but I can find which lines of code are responsible for PCIE?

Read my wiki update, may be it can help you ! :P

• 5 months later...
I just installed Snow Leopard on my Asus Essentio CG5290 computer and it is working really well. I used information from many posts in this thread, the Lifehacker Hackintosh method, and tonymacx86's P55 Hackintosh blog, but it still took me 3 days to get everything working. For that reason, I am giving the step-by-step instructions how I got it running (I tried to start a new thread specifically for this computer, but I am a new user so I wasn't allowed to do that). Here are the instructions:

First, prepare a USB external hard drive using the Lifehacker instructions found here: http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2009/09/how-t...tart-to-finish/ The Lifehacker instructions say to use a USB flash drive, but that didn't work for me. My computer wouldn't boot from the flash drive even after I set the BIOS to do so. Perhaps I made a mistake in setting it up, though. Anyway, an external HD will prep faster than a flash drive. If you have more than one internal hard drive installed, you should be able to use one of those instead of a flash drive or external hard drive, as well. Anyway, complete steps 1 through 6 at the previous link, using your flash drive, external hard drive, or secondary internal hard drive.

Before starting the next phase of the installation, you need to swap a new DSDT.aml file into the Extra folder. To generate a new DSDT.aml file, I used the DSDT_copy.dsl file contained in the OP, but modified the graphics card section for the specific card included in the CG5290 (as the OP instructed). I can't upload any files (because I am a new user, I think). To create a new DSDT.aml file, replace the original "Device (IOU1)" section in the DSDT_copy.dsl file here:

Device (IOU1)
				 {
					 Name (_ADR, 0x00070000)
					 Device (PXS2)
					 {
						 Name (_ADR, 0xFFFF)
						 Name (_SUN, 0x02)
						 Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
						 {
							 Store (Package (0x16)
								 {
									 "@0,compatible", 
									 Buffer (0x0B)
									 {
										 "NVDA,NVMac"
									 }, 

"@0,device_type", 
									 Buffer (0x08)
									 {
										 "display"
									 }, 

"@0,name", 
									 Buffer (0x0F)
									 {
										 "NVDA,Display-A"
									 }, 

"@1,compatible", 
									 Buffer (0x0B)
									 {
										 "NVDA,NVMac"
									 }, 

"@1,device_type", 
									 Buffer (0x08)
									 {
										 "display"
									 }, 

"@1,name", 
									 Buffer (0x0F)
									 {
										 "NVDA,Display-B"
									 }, 

"NVCAP", 
									 Buffer (0x18)
									 {
										 /* 0000 */	0x04, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x03, 0x00, 
										 /* 0008 */	0x0C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x07, 
										 /* 0010 */	0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
									 }, 

"VRAM,totalsize", 
									 Buffer (0x04)
									 {
										 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x20
									 }, 

"device_type", 
									 Buffer (0x0C)
									 {
										 "NVDA,Parent"
									 }, 

"model", 
									 Buffer (0x17)
									 {
										 "NVIDIA GeForce 9600GSO"
									 }, 

"rom-revision", 
									 Buffer (0x0F)
									 {
										 "62.94.82.00.00"
									 }
								 }, Local0)
							 DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
							 Return (Local0)
						 }
					 }

Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
					 {
						 Return (GPRW (0x09, 0x04))
					 }

Method (_PRT, 0, NotSerialized)
					 {
						 If (PICM)
						 {
							 Return (AR17)
						 }

Return (PR17)
					 }
				 }

with this:

Device (IOU1)
				 {
					 Name (_ADR, 0x00070000)
					 Device (PXS2)
					 {
						 Name (_ADR, 0xFFFF)
						 Name (_SUN, 0x02)
						 Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
						 {
							 Store (Package (0x16)
								 {
									 "@0,compatible", 
									 Buffer (0x0B)
									 {
										 "NVDA,NVMac"
									 }, 

"@0,device_type", 
									 Buffer (0x08)
									 {
										 "display"
									 }, 

"@0,name", 
									 Buffer (0x0F)
									 {
										 "NVDA,Display-A"
									 }, 

"@1,compatible", 
									 Buffer (0x0B)
									 {
										 "NVDA,NVMac"
									 }, 

"@1,device_type", 
									 Buffer (0x08)
									 {
										 "display"
									 }, 

"@1,name", 
									 Buffer (0x0F)
									 {
										 "NVDA,Display-B"
									 }, 

"NVCAP", 
									 Buffer (0x18)
									 {
										 /* 0000 */	0x04, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x03, 0x00, 
										 /* 0008 */	0x3C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x0A, 
										 /* 0010 */	0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
									 }, 

"VRAM,totalsize", 
									 Buffer (0x04)
									 {
										 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x38
									 }, 

"device_type", 
									 Buffer (0x0C)
									 {
										 "NVDA,Parent"
									 }, 

"model", 
									 Buffer (0x17)
									 {
										 /* 0000 */	0x47, 0x65, 0x46, 0x6F, 0x72, 0x63, 0x65, 0x20, 
										 /* 0008 */	0x47, 0x54, 0x58, 0x20, 0x32, 0x36, 0x30
									 }, 

"rom-revision", 
									 Buffer (0x0F)
									 {
										 0xA1, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
									 }
								 }, Local0)
							 DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
							 Return (Local0)
						 }
					 }

Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
					 {
						 Return (GPRW (0x09, 0x04))
					 }

Method (_PRT, 0, NotSerialized)
					 {
						 If (PICM)
						 {
							 Return (AR17)
						 }

Return (PR17)
					 }
				 }

I used the instructions found at http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/01/adv...a-graphics.html from a working Leopard install (using iAtkos v7) to get the values for my graphics card. If you have a working Leopard install and an nVidia graphics card, then you can too!

Those are the changes needed for the graphics card included with the Asus CG5290 computer. You will then need to compile the DSDT.dsl file with your changes. Find and download DSDT_Patcher1.0.1e and use it to create a DSDT.aml file. To do this, you need to have a running copy of OSX already. Using OSX, open and terminal and change to the DSDT_Patcher1.0.1e directory (if you don't know how to do this, then in terminal type "cd " and drag the DSDT_Patcher1.0.1e directory into the terminal then hit the enter key. Next, run the DSDT Patcher file on your DSDT file. If you don't know how to do this, you can type "./DSDT\ Patcher " then drag your DSDT.dsl file into the terminal and hit enter. At the "Press any key to continue..." prompt, press the enter key (for some reason, that is the only key that works, haha). At the "Which OS to emulate?" prompt, type "0" and press enter. This will generate a dsdt.aml file in your DDT_Patcher1.0.1e directory. Rename the dsdt.aml file DSDT.aml. Now drag this new file into the Extra folder you downloaded from the Lifehacker link. Your boot-up disk is now ready!

The next step is to setup your BIOS to enable the booting of OSX. To change the BIOS settings, reboot your computer and when you first see text appear on the screen, press the delete key. The first thing I did in the BIOS was to reuse the settings to their default values. Go to the exit tab and select the "Load setup Defaults" item, press enter, then choose Ok. After that, go to the Advanced tab and set "J-Micron eSATA/PATA" controller to "Disabled." Then go to the Main tab and select the "Storage Configuration" item. In that menu, set "Configure SATA as" to "AHCI." You also need to set your first boot device to your external hard drive, flash drive, or secondary internal hard drive (whichever drive you prepped earlier with the lifehacker instructions) to start the install. To set a USB flash drive to be the boot drive navigate to the Boot tab and select "Boot Device Priority." In the screen that appears, select "1st Boot Device" and set it to "Removable Dev." If you are using an external hard drive or secondary internal drive, you can set that as the primary boot device. To do so, 1st enter the Boot Device Priority menu and set the "1st Boot Device" to "HDD: PO-Hitachi HDT721010SLA360." If you have a different hard drive, it will say "HDD:" followed by a description of whatever drive you have. Next Select the "Hard Disk Drives" Item in the Boot menu. Set the 1st drive to whichever hard drive you prepped using the lifehacker instructions. Now save your settings and reboot by pressing the F10 key and selecting Ok. Those are the only changes you need to make in the BIOS.

Now go back to the Lifehacker instructions and follow "Step 3: Install Snow Leopard." That is it! You should have a working copy of Snow Leopard. Sleep, reboot and turn off all work for me. The graphics card works and supports dual monitors (extended desktop). I don't think sound works, but I don't know for sure. This is my office computer and I don't have any speakers anyway. At this point, you still need your external hard drive or flash drive to be plugged in when booting and set as boot device in order to load the chameleon boot loader. You can keep it that way or you can install the chameleon boot loader on your hard drive by following the same instructions from the Lifehacker site but performing them on your internal hard drive. If you want to keep using your external as the boot drive, make sure that you keep it as the boot device in your BIOS but press a key during the initial chameleon boot loader screen and change to your primary internal hard drive on the graphical menu. If you install the chameleon bootloader on your primary hard drive, then you want to change your boot drive inside the BIOS back to your primary internal drive. Some people then restored the default settings inside the BIOS, but I am just using SATA in AHCI mode still (it doesn't seem to have any negative effect to me).

One last suggestion I have is to create a new partition (either on an external drive or on your internal drive) as a backup and use the SuperDuper! backup program to back up your new install. That way, if anything goes wrong later you can boot into the cloned partition and restore your working settings. Good luck!

If you have any questions or problems, feel free to PM me! Many thanks to everyone I got information from, including the OP, lifehacker and tonymacx86's P55 Hackintosh Blog.

The motherboard in the ASUS CG5290 is slightly different from the retail Rampage II Gene. MaLd0n posted a patched DSDT file HERE. This is only for the CG5290 motherboard. It is for BIOS 1401 (the latest as of this writing). The DSDT does NOT have any graphics card modifications. I use the Chameleon Graphics Enabler. QE/CI works via this method on a GTX 260.

I had to remove nullcpumanagement.kext and add the following to my com.apple.boot.plist:

<key>GenerateCStates</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>GeneratePStates</key>

<string>Yes</string>

After that sleep worked.

• 3 weeks later...