Asus Rampage II Gene Hackintosh

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

dgsga

dgsga

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
I'd like to recommend this board to anyone thinking about an X58 mobo for their hack, it's a bit steep pricewise but is well worth the investment as it seems very compatible with Snow Leopard. Have got it running beautifully with the attached DSDT and kext which combines Orange Icon Fix and LegacyAudio kexts. The only other kexts I'm using are Netkas' Fakesmc and MasterChief's OSXRestart. You'll need to modify the graphics entry in the DSDT to suit your graphics card. The DSDT enables:

Fully working AD2000b audio (incl. encoded digital audio)
Fully working sleep, auto-sleep, quick shutdown, restart and restart after sleep (thanks ++ to MasterChief)
Full thermal control as per MacPro4,1 (temps same as W**dows) when C-state settings set correctly in bios
Scores just under 12000 in Geekbench with i7 920 CPU overclocked to 3.2GHz

I hope other people can benefit from this as I've spent hours on the DSDT and want to save others the hard graft!

Thanks to all in the OSX86 community whose work has helped me with this.

Attached Files

XLR

XLR

2cores1cpu.mov

• Donators
  • 921 posts
Add it here please, with a list of kexts you've used and a link to this thread: http://wiki.osx86pro....php/HCL_10.6.0

realityiswhere

realityiswhere

Insanely Unreal

• Retired
  • 345 posts
I have a friend with this board, I set up Snow for him and can confirm it absolutely rocks.

this bootcd (which I just uploaded) can be used to boot it so you don't need to do the long leopard installation process, it'll boot snow leopard directly.

Meng8123

Meng8123

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I have a friend with this board, I set up Snow for him and can confirm it absolutely rocks.

this bootcd (which I just uploaded) can be used to boot it so you don't need to do the long leopard installation process, it'll boot snow leopard directly.

omg, I've been trying to get this board working since it released. Trying to find help but no luck don't know why every time I installed and every time, I couldn't get to the osx screen. later I just give up on it. but after hearing you guess saying this board works perfectly, I can't help to get my hopes up again. can any of you help me out here. thank you. Just let you know that your link doesn't work. don't know why, hope you fix it soon so i can can try it.

Vic-Viper

Vic-Viper

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
I can't get this to work at all. Can you give me a mini guide? When I try to use the boot CD, I just get stuck at

IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 64:87
IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 88:111

I went into the BIOS and put the CPU to 1, Hyper threading off, only one drive is visible, and AHCI enabled.

I have access to a macbook too.

Lastly, Im trying to boot the retail snow leopard update disc from the chameleon boot disc provided in this thread.

Vic-Viper

Vic-Viper

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
Can we get that DSDT compiled plz?

Meng8123

Meng8123

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I can't get this to work at all. Can you give me a mini guide? When I try to use the boot CD, I just get stuck at

IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 64:87
IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 88:111

I went into the BIOS and put the CPU to 1, Hyper threading off, only one drive is visible, and AHCI enabled.

I have access to a macbook too.

Lastly, Im trying to boot the retail snow leopard update disc from the chameleon boot disc provided in this thread.

Ok, I finally got this to work thanks to the good people from this site. My setup is Rampage II GENE, intel core i7 290, asus nvidia gtx295 (single pcb board), linksys wusb600n ver.2 (wireless usb, works perfect).
first of all, go get empire-efi ver.1.04 from their site (or google the name, not sure if I can give the link to other site in here sorry), the newest one is ver.1.08. download both and burn them into cd. For this board, you don't need to set anything in bios, just make sure that your HDD is on the FIRST sata and there is no other things like dvd-rom or anything. I was having a problem when I have HDD and DVD-Rom on the sata connector the osx doesn't seem to like it. instead i use usb dvd-rom to boot. You can also turn the JMicron off, I don't think it matters but just in case. now after all that, boot the empire-efi ver.1.04 first. wait until it load up, then take the cd out and put your snow leopard disc in (make sure the snow leopard is from retail not the recovery dvd came with your macbook), and hit F5 and until you can the snow leopard DVD logo hit Enter and you are on the way to install OSX.
once you are in the setup menu, goto Disk Utility first, and I assume you are using the entire HDD for this setup. Make sure use "GUID Partition Table" before you format your disk, if you don't, your setup will fail. After that, you can just start installing the OSX.
After installation, take out your snow leopard dvd, and put back the empire-efi ver.1.04 and this time, boot it from your newly installed OSX partition. after you got into the desktop, take the empire-efi 1.04 out and put the 1.08 in. inside there is a folder called Extra/Post-installation. Make sure to run myHack installation first. and after that, you can just run osx on its own with out the empire-efi disc.
hope this helps who ever have this board.
I also used a RIIG.kext from dgsga on this board. this kext helps me ALOT with the sound card and other things on this board. all you have to do is install this kext and you will have onboard sound working 100%. very cool stuff. Thank you very much dgsga.

OS0K

OS0K

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I've been able to install SL on my ASUS Essentio i7 using a modification of the Lifehacker no hacking required method. It uses the Rampage II GENE stock. It isn't perfect yet but hopefully someone can use this to make it as far as I have and help me fumble my way into a better solution.

This is for the USB stick method

Follow lifehacker's instructions for preparing the USB drive.
In the extras folder replace the DSDT file with the one in this thread
-the one posted above needs to be recompiled first. (try KextUtiliy v2.3.2)
Finish with lifehacker's install directions

Notes
I installed SL on a brand new 1TB HDD
In BIOS I only modified the SATA mode to AHCI and set the boot priority (USB drive as #1)
If you use the DSDT from the original instructions you will get a KP

Currently it's only running on 4 cores (should be 8 if what I read is correct)
The video quality is poor and only supports 1600 X 1200, I think this is an issue with my DSDT maybe?
No sound (not surprisingly)

Any suggestions?

I'm still tinkering with it. I'm going to load the RIIG.kext now and see if that fixes some issues. I'll give an update when I make some more progress. Hope this helps others with this system, info on it is hard to come by.

*UPDATE*

I got the video card working properly + multiple displays working. DVD Player works now.
kexts.com find the nvenabler.kext
Sound is still not working

Grapheeze

Grapheeze

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
hi guys, new in the board and in hackintosh world too.

I'm trying to install a mac osx on my pc and this is the easiest way i've found.
Actually i have this wonderful mb with an intel i7 920, nvidia geforce 8800 gts by sparkle, 6gb ddr3 ram by ocz, a 320 gb sata hd (which has win 7 installed); an ide hd 160gb (on which i'd install leopard) and an ide dvd r/w.

The installation you talk about, is a fresh install, or it requires a previously installed osx?

am i ok with the hadrware listed before?

Meng8123

Meng8123

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

hi guys, new in the board and in hackintosh world too.

I'm trying to install a mac osx on my pc and this is the easiest way i've found.
Actually i have this wonderful mb with an intel i7 920, nvidia geforce 8800 gts by sparkle, 6gb ddr3 ram by ocz, a 320 gb sata hd (which has win 7 installed); an ide hd 160gb (on which i'd install leopard) and an ide dvd r/w.

The installation you talk about, is a fresh install, or it requires a previously installed osx?

am i ok with the hadrware listed before?

All the install is fresh install, at least on this board. I see no problems of your setup, the only concerns that I have is your ide hd, not sure if it's ok with snow leopard, someone please correct me if I am wrong, I don't want to give wrong idea.

VooD

VooD

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

I'd like to recommend this board to anyone thinking about an X58 mobo for their hack, it's a bit steep pricewise but is well worth the investment as it seems very compatible with Snow Leopard. Have got it running beautifully with the attached DSDT and kext which combines Orange Icon Fix and LegacyAudio kexts. The only other kexts I'm using are Netkas' Fakesmc and MasterChief's OSXRestart. You'll need to modify the graphics entry in the DSDT to suit your graphics card. The DSDT enables:

Fully working sleep, auto-sleep, quick shutdown, restart and restart after sleep (thanks ++ to MasterChief)
Full thermal control as per MacPro4,1 (temps same as W**dows) when C-state settings set correctly in bios

I hope other people can benefit from this as I've spent hours on the DSDT and want to save others the hard graft!

What about sata ports? I heard Asus x58 mobos had problems with sata ports. Just one or two were working properly, the others ones were either slow or not recognized at all.

Did you have any problem with your sata ports?

dgsga

dgsga

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

What about sata ports? I heard Asus x58 mobos had problems with sata ports. Just one or two were working properly, the others ones were either slow or not recognized at all.

Did you have any problem with your sata ports?

So far all 6 have been tested and work fine. Am running SL off ports 5 and 6 as RAID as i cant plug into 1 and 2 due to the arrangement of my case.

Beerkex'd

Beerkex'd

Content Provider

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,000 posts
I'm looking at the DSDT you posted to see if I can get AD2000B working on my Asus P5Q-E.

It's working fine for me as it is (added HDEF device in DSDT + AD2000B.kext by THe KiNG) but it's cool that you have it working by DSDT patching only.

Did you only make changes to the HDEF device or are there any other changes to the DSDT that are related to the AD2000B?

Thanks.

/EDIT

Ahh okay, I just took a look at your kext now, nice trick, I didn't know you could combine several devices in a plist only kext. I think that it could easily be adapted for use with the ASUS P5Q-E as well. If you don't mind I'm going to steal your work and label it as my own.

(just joking!)

rpgman1

rpgman1

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
I find it really interesting that everything you use in Snow Leopard is fully functional. Usually, some Asus boards will either be slow or non-functional. Guess I'll think about that GENE in my next build.

dgsga

dgsga

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
Here's the latest update:

Have developed a 'micro-DSDT.dsl' which is fully functional with this board (thanks due to MasterChief for his hard work). Reduced to a fraction of the original size. Use with attached kext, attached PC-EFIV10.5 boot file and fakesmc.kext for a fully functional SL 10.6.2. Supports sleep, auto-sleep, restart and shutdown, no restart kext at long last thanks to Duvel300. Remember to change the info under Device (IOU1) to match your graphics card before you compile. Your graphics card needs to be in the slot nearest the edge of the mobo for it to work as I have removed all the devices not used by SL.

Enjoy!

Attached Files

xevil

xevil

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Ok, I finally got this to work thanks to the good people from this site. My setup is Rampage II GENE, intel core i7 290, asus nvidia gtx295 (single pcb board), linksys wusb600n ver.2 (wireless usb, works perfect).
first of all, go get empire-efi ver.1.04 from their site (or google the name, not sure if I can give the link to other site in here sorry), the newest one is ver.1.08. download both and burn them into cd. For this board, you don't need to set anything in bios, just make sure that your HDD is on the FIRST sata and there is no other things like dvd-rom or anything. I was having a problem when I have HDD and DVD-Rom on the sata connector the osx doesn't seem to like it. instead i use usb dvd-rom to boot. You can also turn the JMicron off, I don't think it matters but just in case. now after all that, boot the empire-efi ver.1.04 first. wait until it load up, then take the cd out and put your snow leopard disc in (make sure the snow leopard is from retail not the recovery dvd came with your macbook), and hit F5 and until you can the snow leopard DVD logo hit Enter and you are on the way to install OSX.
once you are in the setup menu, goto Disk Utility first, and I assume you are using the entire HDD for this setup. Make sure use "GUID Partition Table" before you format your disk, if you don't, your setup will fail. After that, you can just start installing the OSX.
After installation, take out your snow leopard dvd, and put back the empire-efi ver.1.04 and this time, boot it from your newly installed OSX partition. after you got into the desktop, take the empire-efi 1.04 out and put the 1.08 in. inside there is a folder called Extra/Post-installation. Make sure to run myHack installation first. and after that, you can just run osx on its own with out the empire-efi disc.
hope this helps who ever have this board.
I also used a RIIG.kext from dgsga on this board. this kext helps me ALOT with the sound card and other things on this board. all you have to do is install this kext and you will have onboard sound working 100%. very cool stuff. Thank you very much dgsga.

i try this guide,but i fail!when loading snow leopard dvd,and loading driver in a black window,the process don't complete because appear "STILL WAITING FOR ROOT DEVICE"
i selected in the bios of mb ahci and i disabled the jmicron,but didn'work anyway....
any suggestion?thx

tsponge

tsponge

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
Hi Guys.

I am currently running on an Asus p5n7a-vm board with a Q9550, 6GB ram, Intergrated Graphics.

I am looking to upgrade to something beefier.

Can you guys share your experiences with this board please.

Is this thread quite because everything works or because you have all given up.

Would appreciate any feed back

droptical

droptical

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi Guys.

I am currently running on an Asus p5n7a-vm board with a Q9550, 6GB ram, Intergrated Graphics.

I am looking to upgrade to something beefier.

Can you guys share your experiences with this board please.

Is this thread quite because everything works or because you have all given up.

Would appreciate any feed back

Working well for me, running SL w/ latest security patch (2010-001).
Sleep, networking, firewire, all cores etc. - all working solidly, uptime is days/weeks.

For me, the only way to get Audio to work is using VoodooHDA, the DSDT doesn't seem to make it work on my machine.

The only slight wrinkle that I've come across is that if I put the machine to sleep, I need to be sure to turn off my Alesis Firewire 12 mixer beforehand, and then turn it back on once I've woken the machine back up or something goes screwy and the audio coming through the mixer gradually gets more and more choppy.

I installed using RealityIsWhere's bootcd, which makes life very easy !
I should mention that once you've popped the SL DVD in you have to wait longer than you might think for everything to boot and work, if it looks like it's hung, just give it some more time.

madel

madel

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

I've been able to install SL on my ASUS Essentio i7 using a modification of the Lifehacker no hacking required method. It uses the Rampage II GENE stock. It isn't perfect yet but hopefully someone can use this to make it as far as I have and help me fumble my way into a better solution.

This is for the USB stick method

Follow lifehacker's instructions for preparing the USB drive.
In the extras folder replace the DSDT file with the one in this thread
-the one posted above needs to be recompiled first. (try KextUtiliy v2.3.2)
Finish with lifehacker's install directions

Notes
I installed SL on a brand new 1TB HDD
In BIOS I only modified the SATA mode to AHCI and set the boot priority (USB drive as #1)
If you use the DSDT from the original instructions you will get a KP

Currently it's only running on 4 cores (should be 8 if what I read is correct)
The video quality is poor and only supports 1600 X 1200, I think this is an issue with my DSDT maybe?
No sound (not surprisingly)

Any suggestions?

I'm still tinkering with it. I'm going to load the RIIG.kext now and see if that fixes some issues. I'll give an update when I make some more progress. Hope this helps others with this system, info on it is hard to come by.

*UPDATE*

I got the video card working properly + multiple displays working. DVD Player works now.
kexts.com find the nvenabler.kext
Sound is still not working

I have the same computer and after struggling to get everything working, everything except my usb wifi stick RLT8187B (which seems to not have any 64 bit drivers, so that might be a lost cause) and sleep (not a huge issue for this desktop), is working great. I have updated to 10.6.2 with all available updates and no issues. You mentioned you haven't been able to get your sound working yet, and after trying many different voodoohda configurations I finally found one that works, ill attach my extras folder so you can try yourself. Also after much trial and error I was able to setup a dual boot with windows 7 using Chameleon RC4. Your post helped get me started so I hope this helps. Good Luck :D
Attached File  Extra.zip   1.73MB   822 downloads

feferefe ostia

feferefe ostia

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Hi dgsga:

I was able to boot the Mac 10.6 dvd with the cd created by realityiswhere. But do not know what method you used to complete the installation. Please, tell me if you used MyHack and then your files or how do you achieved this installation.

Thanks
Feferefe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy