Asus Rampage II Gene Hackintosh

dgsga

80 posts in this topic

I'd like to recommend this board to anyone thinking about an X58 mobo for their hack, it's a bit steep pricewise but is well worth the investment as it seems very compatible with Snow Leopard. Have got it running beautifully with the attached DSDT and kext which combines Orange Icon Fix and LegacyAudio kexts. The only other kexts I'm using are Netkas' Fakesmc and MasterChief's OSXRestart. You'll need to modify the graphics entry in the DSDT to suit your graphics card. The DSDT enables:

Fully working AD2000b audio (incl. encoded digital audio)

Fully working sleep, auto-sleep, quick shutdown, restart and restart after sleep (thanks ++ to MasterChief)

Full thermal control as per MacPro4,1 (temps same as W**dows) when C-state settings set correctly in bios

Scores just under 12000 in Geekbench with i7 920 CPU overclocked to 3.2GHz

I hope other people can benefit from this as I've spent hours on the DSDT and want to save others the hard graft!

Thanks to all in the OSX86 community whose work has helped me with this.

RIIG.kext.zip

DSDT_copy.dsl.zip

I have a friend with this board, I set up Snow for him and can confirm it absolutely rocks.

this bootcd (which I just uploaded) can be used to boot it so you don't need to do the long leopard installation process, it'll boot snow leopard directly.

omg, I've been trying to get this board working since it released. Trying to find help but no luck don't know why every time I installed and every time, I couldn't get to the osx screen. later I just give up on it. but after hearing you guess saying this board works perfectly, I can't help to get my hopes up again. can any of you help me out here. thank you. Just let you know that your link doesn't work. don't know why, hope you fix it soon so i can can try it.

I can't get this to work at all. Can you give me a mini guide? When I try to use the boot CD, I just get stuck at

IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 64:87

IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 88:111

I went into the BIOS and put the CPU to 1, Hyper threading off, only one drive is visible, and AHCI enabled.

I have access to a macbook too.

Lastly, Im trying to boot the retail snow leopard update disc from the chameleon boot disc provided in this thread.

I can't get this to work at all. Can you give me a mini guide? When I try to use the boot CD, I just get stuck at

IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 64:87

IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 88:111

I went into the BIOS and put the CPU to 1, Hyper threading off, only one drive is visible, and AHCI enabled.

I have access to a macbook too.

Lastly, Im trying to boot the retail snow leopard update disc from the chameleon boot disc provided in this thread.

Ok, I finally got this to work thanks to the good people from this site. My setup is Rampage II GENE, intel core i7 290, asus nvidia gtx295 (single pcb board), linksys wusb600n ver.2 (wireless usb, works perfect).

first of all, go get empire-efi ver.1.04 from their site (or google the name, not sure if I can give the link to other site in here sorry), the newest one is ver.1.08. download both and burn them into cd. For this board, you don't need to set anything in bios, just make sure that your HDD is on the FIRST sata and there is no other things like dvd-rom or anything. I was having a problem when I have HDD and DVD-Rom on the sata connector the osx doesn't seem to like it. instead i use usb dvd-rom to boot. You can also turn the JMicron off, I don't think it matters but just in case. now after all that, boot the empire-efi ver.1.04 first. wait until it load up, then take the cd out and put your snow leopard disc in (make sure the snow leopard is from retail not the recovery dvd came with your macbook), and hit F5 and until you can the snow leopard DVD logo hit Enter and you are on the way to install OSX.

once you are in the setup menu, goto Disk Utility first, and I assume you are using the entire HDD for this setup. Make sure use "GUID Partition Table" before you format your disk, if you don't, your setup will fail. After that, you can just start installing the OSX.

After installation, take out your snow leopard dvd, and put back the empire-efi ver.1.04 and this time, boot it from your newly installed OSX partition. after you got into the desktop, take the empire-efi 1.04 out and put the 1.08 in. inside there is a folder called Extra/Post-installation. Make sure to run myHack installation first. and after that, you can just run osx on its own with out the empire-efi disc.

hope this helps who ever have this board.

I also used a RIIG.kext from dgsga on this board. this kext helps me ALOT with the sound card and other things on this board. all you have to do is install this kext and you will have onboard sound working 100%. very cool stuff. Thank you very much dgsga.

I've been able to install SL on my ASUS Essentio i7 using a modification of the Lifehacker no hacking required method. It uses the Rampage II GENE stock. It isn't perfect yet but hopefully someone can use this to make it as far as I have and help me fumble my way into a better solution.

This is for the USB stick method

Follow lifehacker's instructions for preparing the USB drive.

In the extras folder replace the DSDT file with the one in this thread

-the one posted above needs to be recompiled first. (try KextUtiliy v2.3.2)

Finish with lifehacker's install directions

Notes

I installed SL on a brand new 1TB HDD

In BIOS I only modified the SATA mode to AHCI and set the boot priority (USB drive as #1)

If you use the DSDT from the original instructions you will get a KP

Currently it's only running on 4 cores (should be 8 if what I read is correct)

The video quality is poor and only supports 1600 X 1200, I think this is an issue with my DSDT maybe?

No sound (not surprisingly)

Any suggestions?

I'm still tinkering with it. I'm going to load the RIIG.kext now and see if that fixes some issues. I'll give an update when I make some more progress. Hope this helps others with this system, info on it is hard to come by.

*UPDATE*

I got the video card working properly + multiple displays working. DVD Player works now.

kexts.com find the nvenabler.kext

Sound is still not working

hi guys, new in the board and in hackintosh world too.

I'm trying to install a mac osx on my pc and this is the easiest way i've found.

Actually i have this wonderful mb with an intel i7 920, nvidia geforce 8800 gts by sparkle, 6gb ddr3 ram by ocz, a 320 gb sata hd (which has win 7 installed); an ide hd 160gb (on which i'd install leopard) and an ide dvd r/w.

The installation you talk about, is a fresh install, or it requires a previously installed osx?

am i ok with the hadrware listed before?

hi guys, new in the board and in hackintosh world too.

I'm trying to install a mac osx on my pc and this is the easiest way i've found.

Actually i have this wonderful mb with an intel i7 920, nvidia geforce 8800 gts by sparkle, 6gb ddr3 ram by ocz, a 320 gb sata hd (which has win 7 installed); an ide hd 160gb (on which i'd install leopard) and an ide dvd r/w.

The installation you talk about, is a fresh install, or it requires a previously installed osx?

am i ok with the hadrware listed before?

All the install is fresh install, at least on this board. I see no problems of your setup, the only concerns that I have is your ide hd, not sure if it's ok with snow leopard, someone please correct me if I am wrong, I don't want to give wrong idea.

I'd like to recommend this board to anyone thinking about an X58 mobo for their hack, it's a bit steep pricewise but is well worth the investment as it seems very compatible with Snow Leopard. Have got it running beautifully with the attached DSDT and kext which combines Orange Icon Fix and LegacyAudio kexts. The only other kexts I'm using are Netkas' Fakesmc and MasterChief's OSXRestart. You'll need to modify the graphics entry in the DSDT to suit your graphics card. The DSDT enables:

Fully working sleep, auto-sleep, quick shutdown, restart and restart after sleep (thanks ++ to MasterChief)

Full thermal control as per MacPro4,1 (temps same as W**dows) when C-state settings set correctly in bios

I hope other people can benefit from this as I've spent hours on the DSDT and want to save others the hard graft!

What about sata ports? I heard Asus x58 mobos had problems with sata ports. Just one or two were working properly, the others ones were either slow or not recognized at all.

Did you have any problem with your sata ports?

What about sata ports? I heard Asus x58 mobos had problems with sata ports. Just one or two were working properly, the others ones were either slow or not recognized at all.

Did you have any problem with your sata ports?

So far all 6 have been tested and work fine. Am running SL off ports 5 and 6 as RAID as i cant plug into 1 and 2 due to the arrangement of my case.

I'm looking at the DSDT you posted to see if I can get AD2000B working on my Asus P5Q-E.

It's working fine for me as it is (added HDEF device in DSDT + AD2000B.kext by THe KiNG) but it's cool that you have it working by DSDT patching only.

Did you only make changes to the HDEF device or are there any other changes to the DSDT that are related to the AD2000B?

Thanks.

/EDIT

Ahh okay, I just took a look at your kext now, nice trick, I didn't know you could combine several devices in a plist only kext. I think that it could easily be adapted for use with the ASUS P5Q-E as well. If you don't mind I'm going to steal your work and label it as my own.

(just joking!)

I find it really interesting that everything you use in Snow Leopard is fully functional. Usually, some Asus boards will either be slow or non-functional. Guess I'll think about that GENE in my next build.

Here's the latest update:

Have developed a 'micro-DSDT.dsl' which is fully functional with this board (thanks due to MasterChief for his hard work). Reduced to a fraction of the original size. Use with attached kext, attached PC-EFIV10.5 boot file and fakesmc.kext for a fully functional SL 10.6.2. Supports sleep, auto-sleep, restart and shutdown, no restart kext at long last thanks to Duvel300. Remember to change the info under Device (IOU1) to match your graphics card before you compile. Your graphics card needs to be in the slot nearest the edge of the mobo for it to work as I have removed all the devices not used by SL.

Enjoy!

boot.zip

DSDT.dsl.zip

RampageIIGene.kext.zip

• 2 weeks later...
Ok, I finally got this to work thanks to the good people from this site. My setup is Rampage II GENE, intel core i7 290, asus nvidia gtx295 (single pcb board), linksys wusb600n ver.2 (wireless usb, works perfect).

first of all, go get empire-efi ver.1.04 from their site (or google the name, not sure if I can give the link to other site in here sorry), the newest one is ver.1.08. download both and burn them into cd. For this board, you don't need to set anything in bios, just make sure that your HDD is on the FIRST sata and there is no other things like dvd-rom or anything. I was having a problem when I have HDD and DVD-Rom on the sata connector the osx doesn't seem to like it. instead i use usb dvd-rom to boot. You can also turn the JMicron off, I don't think it matters but just in case. now after all that, boot the empire-efi ver.1.04 first. wait until it load up, then take the cd out and put your snow leopard disc in (make sure the snow leopard is from retail not the recovery dvd came with your macbook), and hit F5 and until you can the snow leopard DVD logo hit Enter and you are on the way to install OSX.

once you are in the setup menu, goto Disk Utility first, and I assume you are using the entire HDD for this setup. Make sure use "GUID Partition Table" before you format your disk, if you don't, your setup will fail. After that, you can just start installing the OSX.

After installation, take out your snow leopard dvd, and put back the empire-efi ver.1.04 and this time, boot it from your newly installed OSX partition. after you got into the desktop, take the empire-efi 1.04 out and put the 1.08 in. inside there is a folder called Extra/Post-installation. Make sure to run myHack installation first. and after that, you can just run osx on its own with out the empire-efi disc.

hope this helps who ever have this board.

I also used a RIIG.kext from dgsga on this board. this kext helps me ALOT with the sound card and other things on this board. all you have to do is install this kext and you will have onboard sound working 100%. very cool stuff. Thank you very much dgsga.

i try this guide,but i fail!when loading snow leopard dvd,and loading driver in a black window,the process don't complete because appear "STILL WAITING FOR ROOT DEVICE"

i selected in the bios of mb ahci and i disabled the jmicron,but didn'work anyway....

any suggestion?thx

Hi Guys.

I am currently running on an Asus p5n7a-vm board with a Q9550, 6GB ram, Intergrated Graphics.

I am looking to upgrade to something beefier.

Can you guys share your experiences with this board please.

Is this thread quite because everything works or because you have all given up.

Would appreciate any feed back

Hi Guys.

I am currently running on an Asus p5n7a-vm board with a Q9550, 6GB ram, Intergrated Graphics.

I am looking to upgrade to something beefier.

Can you guys share your experiences with this board please.

Is this thread quite because everything works or because you have all given up.

Would appreciate any feed back

Working well for me, running SL w/ latest security patch (2010-001).

Sleep, networking, firewire, all cores etc. - all working solidly, uptime is days/weeks.

For me, the only way to get Audio to work is using VoodooHDA, the DSDT doesn't seem to make it work on my machine.

The only slight wrinkle that I've come across is that if I put the machine to sleep, I need to be sure to turn off my Alesis Firewire 12 mixer beforehand, and then turn it back on once I've woken the machine back up or something goes screwy and the audio coming through the mixer gradually gets more and more choppy.

I installed using RealityIsWhere's bootcd, which makes life very easy !

I should mention that once you've popped the SL DVD in you have to wait longer than you might think for everything to boot and work, if it looks like it's hung, just give it some more time.

I've been able to install SL on my ASUS Essentio i7 using a modification of the Lifehacker no hacking required method. It uses the Rampage II GENE stock. It isn't perfect yet but hopefully someone can use this to make it as far as I have and help me fumble my way into a better solution.

This is for the USB stick method

Follow lifehacker's instructions for preparing the USB drive.

In the extras folder replace the DSDT file with the one in this thread

-the one posted above needs to be recompiled first. (try KextUtiliy v2.3.2)

Finish with lifehacker's install directions

Notes

I installed SL on a brand new 1TB HDD

In BIOS I only modified the SATA mode to AHCI and set the boot priority (USB drive as #1)

If you use the DSDT from the original instructions you will get a KP

Currently it's only running on 4 cores (should be 8 if what I read is correct)

The video quality is poor and only supports 1600 X 1200, I think this is an issue with my DSDT maybe?

No sound (not surprisingly)

Any suggestions?

I'm still tinkering with it. I'm going to load the RIIG.kext now and see if that fixes some issues. I'll give an update when I make some more progress. Hope this helps others with this system, info on it is hard to come by.

*UPDATE*

I got the video card working properly + multiple displays working. DVD Player works now.

kexts.com find the nvenabler.kext

Sound is still not working

I have the same computer and after struggling to get everything working, everything except my usb wifi stick RLT8187B (which seems to not have any 64 bit drivers, so that might be a lost cause) and sleep (not a huge issue for this desktop), is working great. I have updated to 10.6.2 with all available updates and no issues. You mentioned you haven't been able to get your sound working yet, and after trying many different voodoohda configurations I finally found one that works, ill attach my extras folder so you can try yourself. Also after much trial and error I was able to setup a dual boot with windows 7 using Chameleon RC4. Your post helped get me started so I hope this helps. Good Luck :D

Extra.zip

Hi dgsga:

I was able to boot the Mac 10.6 dvd with the cd created by realityiswhere. But do not know what method you used to complete the installation. Please, tell me if you used MyHack and then your files or how do you achieved this installation.

Thanks

Feferefe

Hi dgsga:

I was able to boot the Mac 10.6 dvd with the cd created by realityiswhere. But do not know what method you used to complete the installation. Please, tell me if you used MyHack and then your files or how do you achieved this installation.

Thanks

Feferefe

hi all

forgive me if i will pollute your post

but i was hoping that installing sl retail 10.6 on an asus rampage 2 extreme were

easy as you say for a gene version

I started with this thread: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=194312

that is about your kind of motherboard, but i got stuck when you boot from a snow leopard retail iso

put on an hd as installer

can you help me ?

I do these steps:

from a real mac i format a drive

i restore on it a snow leopard retail dvd

i install on it chamaleon 2.0 rc3, as taken from the link i have post at the top

i follow the guide and i modify extra folder with different kets

i reboot and when it starts installer i se a black apple on a grey desktop that lasts forever

Can you help me ?

Can you give me a step by step guide to install a sl retail 10.6 on this mb ?

Thanks a lot for feedback, and sorry to bother you !

Thanks for posting this. Extremely helpful. Just to alert others, as I got stuck on this, make sure to go into the BIOS and under integrated peripherals select ACHI. Otherwise you won't get past the myHack grey apple boot screen.

On my Gene mobo with BIOS version 804, I was able to install using myHack_Installer_1.0_RC5_r87 (with GraphicsEnabler=y and modifying the PCI root for the GPU to 0 as the only changes), but I got stuck at "waiting for root device" until I moved the old Barracuda 80GB SATA drive I'm using to test SL on to SATA port 0.

I saw on another post that DSDT changes were required to use other SATA ports effectively, and I'm also going to try upgrading the BIOS to 904 as that's the version listed on the compatibility wiki. I'm also going to try some of the suggestions (the RIIG.kext, etc) in this thread for getting sound/sleep to work. Voodhoo HDA seems to pop my speakers during boot but that's all I get :rolleyes:

As an aside, Windows 7 RC crashes on this same machine after sleeping successfully once, so I don't look at a lack of sleep on SL as a huge problem for this platform :)

Here's the latest update:

Have developed a 'micro-DSDT.dsl' which is fully functional with this board (thanks due to MasterChief for his hard work). Reduced to a fraction of the original size. Use with attached kext, attached PC-EFIV10.5 boot file and fakesmc.kext for a fully functional SL 10.6.2. Supports sleep, auto-sleep, restart and shutdown, no restart kext at long last thanks to Duvel300. Remember to change the info under Device (IOU1) to match your graphics card before you compile. Your graphics card needs to be in the slot nearest the edge of the mobo for it to work as I have removed all the devices not used by SL.

Hey dgsga, thanks for all your work on this stuff! I tried just installing you latest kext, and I think you deleted one of the USB ports :rolleyes: On the plus side, I have a sound device now, and sleeping/restarting is working much better. But the port my Logitech wireless transceiver was in is no longer recognized--its the rightmost red colored USB in the row with the eSATA and firewire on the back. I haven't looked into it anymore than that.

I already had fakesmc.kext from myHack, and I didn't use your micro-DSDT.dsl ... The biggest problem I'm having now is my LG Bluray/HD-DVD burner doesn't seem to be working quite right ... I tried to install iLife '09 from DVD and it stopped maybe 10% in. I'll poke around some more, fun times!

• 4 weeks later...

I just installed Snow Leopard on my Asus Essentio CG5290 computer and it is working really well. I used information from many posts in this thread, the Lifehacker Hackintosh method, and tonymacx86's P55 Hackintosh blog, but it still took me 3 days to get everything working. For that reason, I am giving the step-by-step instructions how I got it running (I tried to start a new thread specifically for this computer, but I am a new user so I wasn't allowed to do that). Here are the instructions:

First, prepare a USB external hard drive using the Lifehacker instructions found here: http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2009/09/how-t...tart-to-finish/ The Lifehacker instructions say to use a USB flash drive, but that didn't work for me. My computer wouldn't boot from the flash drive even after I set the BIOS to do so. Perhaps I made a mistake in setting it up, though. Anyway, an external HD will prep faster than a flash drive. If you have more than one internal hard drive installed, you should be able to use one of those instead of a flash drive or external hard drive, as well. Anyway, complete steps 1 through 6 at the previous link, using your flash drive, external hard drive, or secondary internal hard drive.

Before starting the next phase of the installation, you need to swap a new DSDT.aml file into the Extra folder. To generate a new DSDT.aml file, I used the DSDT_copy.dsl file contained in the OP, but modified the graphics card section for the specific card included in the CG5290 (as the OP instructed). I can't upload any files (because I am a new user, I think). To create a new DSDT.aml file, replace the original "Device (IOU1)" section in the DSDT_copy.dsl file here:

Device (IOU1)
		{
			Name (_ADR, 0x00070000)
			Device (PXS2)
			{
				Name (_ADR, 0xFFFF)
				Name (_SUN, 0x02)
				Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
				{
					Store (Package (0x16)
						{
							"@0,compatible", 
							Buffer (0x0B)
							{
								"NVDA,NVMac"
							}, 

"@0,device_type", 
							Buffer (0x08)
							{
								"display"
							}, 

"@0,name", 
							Buffer (0x0F)
							{
								"NVDA,Display-A"
							}, 

"@1,compatible", 
							Buffer (0x0B)
							{
								"NVDA,NVMac"
							}, 

"@1,device_type", 
							Buffer (0x08)
							{
								"display"
							}, 

"@1,name", 
							Buffer (0x0F)
							{
								"NVDA,Display-B"
							}, 

"NVCAP", 
							Buffer (0x18)
							{
								/* 0000 */	0x04, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x03, 0x00, 
								/* 0008 */	0x0C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x07, 
								/* 0010 */	0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
							}, 

"VRAM,totalsize", 
							Buffer (0x04)
							{
								0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x20
							}, 

"device_type", 
							Buffer (0x0C)
							{
								"NVDA,Parent"
							}, 

"model", 
							Buffer (0x17)
							{
								"NVIDIA GeForce 9600GSO"
							}, 

"rom-revision", 
							Buffer (0x0F)
							{
								"62.94.82.00.00"
							}
						}, Local0)
					DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
					Return (Local0)
				}
			}

Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
			{
				Return (GPRW (0x09, 0x04))
			}

Method (_PRT, 0, NotSerialized)
			{
				If (PICM)
				{
					Return (AR17)
				}

Return (PR17)
			}
		}

with this:

Device (IOU1)
		{
			Name (_ADR, 0x00070000)
			Device (PXS2)
			{
				Name (_ADR, 0xFFFF)
				Name (_SUN, 0x02)
				Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
				{
					Store (Package (0x16)
						{
							"@0,compatible", 
							Buffer (0x0B)
							{
								"NVDA,NVMac"
							}, 

"@0,device_type", 
							Buffer (0x08)
							{
								"display"
							}, 

"@0,name", 
							Buffer (0x0F)
							{
								"NVDA,Display-A"
							}, 

"@1,compatible", 
							Buffer (0x0B)
							{
								"NVDA,NVMac"
							}, 

"@1,device_type", 
							Buffer (0x08)
							{
								"display"
							}, 

"@1,name", 
							Buffer (0x0F)
							{
								"NVDA,Display-B"
							}, 

"NVCAP", 
							Buffer (0x18)
							{
								/* 0000 */	0x04, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x03, 0x00, 
								/* 0008 */	0x3C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x0A, 
								/* 0010 */	0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
							}, 

"VRAM,totalsize", 
							Buffer (0x04)
							{
								0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x38
							}, 

"device_type", 
							Buffer (0x0C)
							{
								"NVDA,Parent"
							}, 

"model", 
							Buffer (0x17)
							{
								/* 0000 */	0x47, 0x65, 0x46, 0x6F, 0x72, 0x63, 0x65, 0x20, 
								/* 0008 */	0x47, 0x54, 0x58, 0x20, 0x32, 0x36, 0x30
							}, 

"rom-revision", 
							Buffer (0x0F)
							{
								0xA1, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
							}
						}, Local0)
					DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
					Return (Local0)
				}
			}

Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
			{
				Return (GPRW (0x09, 0x04))
			}

Method (_PRT, 0, NotSerialized)
			{
				If (PICM)
				{
					Return (AR17)
				}

Return (PR17)
			}
		}

I used the instructions found at http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/01/adv...a-graphics.html from a working Leopard install (using iAtkos v7) to get the values for my graphics card. If you have a working Leopard install and an nVidia graphics card, then you can too!

Those are the changes needed for the graphics card included with the Asus CG5290 computer. You will then need to compile the DSDT.dsl file with your changes. Find and download DSDT_Patcher1.0.1e and use it to create a DSDT.aml file. To do this, you need to have a running copy of OSX already. Using OSX, open and terminal and change to the DSDT_Patcher1.0.1e directory (if you don't know how to do this, then in terminal type "cd " and drag the DSDT_Patcher1.0.1e directory into the terminal then hit the enter key. Next, run the DSDT Patcher file on your DSDT file. If you don't know how to do this, you can type "./DSDT\ Patcher " then drag your DSDT.dsl file into the terminal and hit enter. At the "Press any key to continue..." prompt, press the enter key (for some reason, that is the only key that works, haha). At the "Which OS to emulate?" prompt, type "0" and press enter. This will generate a dsdt.aml file in your DDT_Patcher1.0.1e directory. Rename the dsdt.aml file DSDT.aml. Now drag this new file into the Extra folder you downloaded from the Lifehacker link. Your boot-up disk is now ready!

The next step is to setup your BIOS to enable the booting of OSX. To change the BIOS settings, reboot your computer and when you first see text appear on the screen, press the delete key. The first thing I did in the BIOS was to reuse the settings to their default values. Go to the exit tab and select the "Load setup Defaults" item, press enter, then choose Ok. After that, go to the Advanced tab and set "J-Micron eSATA/PATA" controller to "Disabled." Then go to the Main tab and select the "Storage Configuration" item. In that menu, set "Configure SATA as" to "AHCI." You also need to set your first boot device to your external hard drive, flash drive, or secondary internal hard drive (whichever drive you prepped earlier with the lifehacker instructions) to start the install. To set a USB flash drive to be the boot drive navigate to the Boot tab and select "Boot Device Priority." In the screen that appears, select "1st Boot Device" and set it to "Removable Dev." If you are using an external hard drive or secondary internal drive, you can set that as the primary boot device. To do so, 1st enter the Boot Device Priority menu and set the "1st Boot Device" to "HDD: PO-Hitachi HDT721010SLA360." If you have a different hard drive, it will say "HDD:" followed by a description of whatever drive you have. Next Select the "Hard Disk Drives" Item in the Boot menu. Set the 1st drive to whichever hard drive you prepped using the lifehacker instructions. Now save your settings and reboot by pressing the F10 key and selecting Ok. Those are the only changes you need to make in the BIOS.

Now go back to the Lifehacker instructions and follow "Step 3: Install Snow Leopard." That is it! You should have a working copy of Snow Leopard. Sleep, reboot and turn off all work for me. The graphics card works and supports dual monitors (extended desktop). I don't think sound works, but I don't know for sure. This is my office computer and I don't have any speakers anyway. At this point, you still need your external hard drive or flash drive to be plugged in when booting and set as boot device in order to load the chameleon boot loader. You can keep it that way or you can install the chameleon boot loader on your hard drive by following the same instructions from the Lifehacker site but performing them on your internal hard drive. If you want to keep using your external as the boot drive, make sure that you keep it as the boot device in your BIOS but press a key during the initial chameleon boot loader screen and change to your primary internal hard drive on the graphical menu. If you install the chameleon bootloader on your primary hard drive, then you want to change your boot drive inside the BIOS back to your primary internal drive. Some people then restored the default settings inside the BIOS, but I am just using SATA in AHCI mode still (it doesn't seem to have any negative effect to me).

One last suggestion I have is to create a new partition (either on an external drive or on your internal drive) as a backup and use the SuperDuper! backup program to back up your new install. That way, if anything goes wrong later you can boot into the cloned partition and restore your working settings. Good luck!

If you have any questions or problems, feel free to PM me! Many thanks to everyone I got information from, including the OP, lifehacker and tonymacx86's P55 Hackintosh Blog.