[How To] More than most likely fix any soundmax audio

Grav3Mind

22 posts in this topic

OK im changing things a bit. before you do anything thing ask yourself "can i move the volume slider?" and if you can then chances are that you DO NOT need the kext so go ahead and skip down the the second part of my tutorial and try it and then if you still cant get things working the try to get the AC97Appleaudio.kext but if you can change the volume it technically means you have sound.

THIS IS FOR 10.4.3!!! (and possibly later versions but not older!)

- Copy or move the kext to your Desktop (EDIT: you must find the kext on your own i cannot give it to you anymore if you need help finiding it pm me or you can look here http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?sh...645&hl=soundmax

once you have aquired the appropriate kext

- Open Terminal

- Type sudo su

- Give your password

Before copy the kext remove the old one:

- Type rm -fr /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext

Now copy it again from your user's Desktop:

- Type cp -R /Users/your-username/Desktop/AppleAC97Audio.kext /System/Library/Extensions/

- Type kextload -t /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext

if there are no errors Type kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions and reboot

Of course change your-username to what ever you name it, in my case it's bryan, so the command for me is this:

cp -R /Users/bryan/Desktop/AppleAC97Audio.kext /System/Library/Extensions/

----------------

(thanks to mac girl for the above and the attached kext)

-----------------

ok now here what i found out on accident(xD lol) that works for me AFTER FOLLOWING ABOVE INSTRUCTIONS AND REBOOTING (UNLESS YOU CAN MOVE THE VOLUME SLIDER THEN YOU CAN MOST LIKELY SKIP THE TOP SET OF INSTRUCTIONS sorry for the confusion)

go to applications-utilities folder-audio midi setup-audio devices and make sure you select to look at the OUTPUT not the input .

now change the channel setting to 6ch-16bit then go to "configure speakers" and make front left channel 3 then test it by clicking the icon then change the right channel to 6 and test it and TA DA sound.

now if you dont have the choice to make it 6 channel-16bit then for now your outta luck sorry. ask macgirl! lol she can probably help!

if you have any questions just let me kno. if this works for a lot of people maybe we can make this a sticky?

***NEW UPDATE***

if your having permission and or get a message like this:

"kextload: /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext: no such bundle file exists

can't add kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext (file access/permissions) (run kextload on this kext with -t for diagnostic output)"

Then try this:

open terminal

sudo -s

enter password if asked

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/<drivername>.kext

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensios/<drivername>.kext

I have a Toshiba satellite 2450-101, intel chipset and audio used to work on mac but not it doesnt for some reason... Mac doesnt recognize the built in audio, ive tried this guide and the one in the wiki, ive reinstalled 10+ times, what should i do?!

I have a Toshiba satellite 2450-101, intel chipset and audio used to work on mac but not it doesnt for some reason... Mac doesnt recognize the built in audio, ive tried this guide and the one in the wiki, ive reinstalled 10+ times, what should i do?!

can you be more specific as to what audio card or onboard sound you have and as to any other problems your having with sound, like loading the kext.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
OK im changing things a bit. before you do anything thing ask yourself "can i move the volume slider?" and if you can then chances are that you DO NOT need the kext so go ahead and skip down the the second part of my tutorial and try it and then if you still cant get things working the try to get the AC97Appleaudio.kext but if you can change the volume it technically means you have sound.

THIS IS FOR 10.4.3!!! (and possibly later versions but not older!)

- Copy or move the kext to your Desktop (EDIT: you must find the kext on your own i cannot give it to you anymore if you need help finiding it pm me or you can look here http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?sh...amp;hl=soundmax

once you have aquired the appropriate kext

- Open Terminal

- Type sudo su

- Give your password

Before copy the kext remove the old one:

- Type rm -fr /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext

Now copy it again from your user's Desktop:

- Type cp -R /Users/your-username/Desktop/AppleAC97Audio.kext /System/Library/Extensions/

- Type kextload -t /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext

if there are no errors Type kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions and reboot

Of course change your-username to what ever you name it, in my case it's bryan, so the command for me is this:

cp -R /Users/bryan/Desktop/AppleAC97Audio.kext /System/Library/Extensions/

----------------

(thanks to mac girl for the above and the attached kext)

-----------------

ok now here what i found out on accident(xD lol) that works for me AFTER FOLLOWING ABOVE INSTRUCTIONS AND REBOOTING (UNLESS YOU CAN MOVE THE VOLUME SLIDER THEN YOU CAN MOST LIKELY SKIP THE TOP SET OF INSTRUCTIONS sorry for the confusion)

go to applications-utilities folder-audio midi setup-audio devices and make sure you select to look at the OUTPUT not the input .

now change the channel setting to 6ch-16bit then go to "configure speakers" and make front left channel 3 then test it by clicking the icon then change the right channel to 6 and test it and TA DA sound.

now if you dont have the choice to make it 6 channel-16bit then for now your outta luck sorry. ask macgirl! lol she can probably help!

if you have any questions just let me kno. if this works for a lot of people maybe we can make this a sticky?

***NEW UPDATE***

if your having permission and or get a message like this:

"kextload: /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext: no such bundle file exists

can't add kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext (file access/permissions) (run kextload on this kext with -t for diagnostic output)"

Then try this:

open terminal

sudo -s

enter password if asked

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/<drivername>.kext

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensios/<drivername>.kext

hi,

i have a pc IBM Thinkcentre A51, i just follow the instruction and i got the sound work just when i plug my headset to the green socket on my soundcard. this pc have the internal speaker. can you help me how can i use my internal speaker and the mic too it cannot be use.

thanks for helping

best regards

• 1 month later...

Hey mac-nipulate,

You did a very good job man! I was trying to make my sound work for already a week! I tried everything starting from macgirl's tutorial in the terminal! You were the only one who fixed my problem man! Thanks a lot!!!

Thanks a lot really!

BTW my sound card is a SoundMax AC97 AD1980

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am really confused, My sound doesn't work, even though i have followed this tutorial a few times.

I get no errors whilst installing the kext file, but whenever i go to listen to music etc, there is no sound.

I went to Applications > Utilities > Audio & Midi Setup > Audio Devices, to find that everything was shaded grey, with the following text:

========================================================

Audio Input: Audio Output:

Input is not supported Output is not supported

=========================================================

I assume that its because i am using the incorrect drivers or something, as i have a SoundMAX Ad1888 sound card, not a 1890 or any other models previously mentioned.

I appreciate your help in advance,

Thanks,

3dmonkey3000

P.S. Oops, forgot to post my system specifications:

64-Bit ~1.6Ghz AMD Sempron 2600+ (Performance Rated at 2.60Ghz)

512MB Ram

Mac OS X 10.4.6

ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB AGP video card (any help with drivers for this card would be greatly appreciated aswell)

2x 80GB Samsung SP0802N Hard Drives

EDIT: Ok, I found that it was because i was in safe mode, as my computer would not boot normally, so i deleted all ATI extensions and it worked. Now i have the sound feature enabled, but still cannot hear anything. Any ideas????

Edited by 3dmonkey3000

I have tried this and the other tutorial on editing the vendor and dev with textplus

but still I have no luck... maybe I have done it wrong. Because now in sound, there's only PCM, but no SPDIF like it used to be

I got this problem ever since I installed GarageBand, any help? Should I get a fresh AppleAudioAC97.kext?

You were the only one who fixed my problem man! Thanks a lot!!!

BTW my sound card is a SoundMax AC97 AD1980

Same here, Analog Devices AD1980 with SoundMax...works! I'm using 4-channel (left:3 and right:4)...though 6-channel also works. Thanks mac-nipulate! Piece by piece osx is coming together for me.

currently testing 10.4.8 w/8.8.1 kernel

post-69165-1166931106_thumb.png

Edited by launchcontrol

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Hi--

I have a SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio. When I open up Audio MIDI Setup, it says I have Audio In, but Audio Out is not supported. Can some one help me with this problem?

I have the same problem。

• 7 months later...

Finally, it works! Thanks. (Dell Dimension 4700)

One thing I wanted to add is that once my volume slider worked, I still had no sound. I started a song in iTunes and then tried different ports in my sound card and I ended up having to move the plug from my yellow input, which worked under Windows, to the black input.

• 2 weeks later...

when i try to load the kext with -t i get this error:

sh-3.2# kextload -t /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext

kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext has problems:

Authentication failures:

{

"File owner/permissions are incorrect (must be root:wheel, nonwritable by group/other)" = (

"/System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext"

"/System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/Info.plist"

"/System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents"

"/System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleAC97Audio"

"/System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/MacOS"

)

}

Warnings:

{

"Kext has no explicit kernel dependency" = true

}

sh-3.2#