Xcode and Iphone SDK on PC

5 posts in this topic

I've been trying to get Xcode up and running on my PC for some days now.

1) First attempt ended when i realized that the leopard installation DVD needed a SATA drive

Is there any workaround for this? - Will i need to get a SATA drive?

2) I went on for virtualization - Downloading PcWiz Image 10.5.5. and running it on VmWare 6.5. Worked as a charm - But installing Xcode and Iphone SDK 3.0 didn't . Crashes all the time :lol:

3) Now im trying to get an older version of Xcode - is that a waste of time?

4) what are your suggestions on Getting my PC up and running with Xcode? I have a spare blank HDD ready for an installation. Unfortunately i only have a 4 GB USB stick :(

My setup (is this compatible at all?)

Asus P5B

Core2Duo 2GHz

Nvidia geforce 8800

2 Gbs ram

Have gone through tons of guides, but i cant find the right solution though.

You're posting in the wrong forum.

Will i need to get a SATA drive?

If there are no OSX drivers available for the PATA controller on your motherboard, yes.

Post make and model of your motherboards Southbridge or separate PATA controller.

You're posting in the wrong forum.

Sorry about that. Where should I post?

If there are no OSX drivers available for the PATA controller on your motherboard, yes.

Post make and model of your motherboards Southbridge or separate PATA controller.

P965 / ICH8 - Jmicron controller for the IDE-channel - so i guess that is a no go on the ide-drive

Specifications

Since you're not running OS X yet you should be posting in the installation forum. Pick the right subsection here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showforum=137

You can try the JMicron injector kext that comes with the Chameleon bootloader.

I have never used it myself (Marvell IDE controller here) but try it and see.

I don't know how you're planning to install OS X on your PC but here's what I would do:

Find a hacked distro installation DVD (any OS X Leopard version will do, it's only for preparation use) that will boot and run on your hardware.

Boot from it and use Apple Disk Utility to format and partition your HDD in GPT/HFSJ+ non-case sensitive.

Create one partition for the installation, an 8 GB partition and (if you like) a third for data, in that order

Install the hacked distro to the first partition, it's not important that everything (like graphics acceleration, time machine, correctly identified hardware) is working.

Boot from it and whip out your OS X retail install DVD and use Disk Utility to 'restore' it to the 8 GB partition.

Make a Chameleon Boot CD (instructions, FAQ and more at the VoodooProjects forum) that you can use to boot the partition that holds the retail install DVD.

Locate the proper kernel extensions and patches you need to run retail OS X on your hardware (this is the hard part).

Use a CD-RW and keep making Chameleon Boot CDs until you can successfully boot the partition that holds your retail install DVD from it. When you are confident that it works right (you can verify almost everything with System Profiler), boot into the installer partition and use Disk Utility to format your existing OS X install partition and go ahead with the installation.

Use your boot CD to boot into your fresh retail installation, then install Chameleon to the EFI partition so you don't have to use the boot CD anymore.