.: OSx86 Project - Rosetta@Home Team:.

37 posts in this topic

I signed up and joined the OSx86 Project's team. I'm glad to donate my computer's idle time to finding cures for diseases.

The app that you download is for PowerPC, so it's a bit slow and it kills my CPU.

Thanks Mash!

I'm cool with you closing my thread even though I came up with the idea. Anyway, I signed up with 2 nodes and should enlist 10 more... I can't wait till we have our first 100 members =) Go Team!

Edit: I'll be posting more info soon with regards to this project :)

[uPDATE]

Seems like d2ol has alot of bugs that need to be sorted out... Stats, PPC as Colonel noted, 100% CPU activity which is leading/has lead to a 7 degrees celcius increase in my server room- Not Good!!! I'm running it on 3 windows 2003 dual xeons and my OSx86 Machine ...

I don't have problems with my osx86 machine heating up as it's watercooled. Maybe we should re-consider d2ol again? I've seen better folding@home software out there ...

So- what do guys think?

I'm going to be contacting the D2OL programmers about it to see if we can get a Universal binary that will hopefully solve the problems. I didn't mean to take your idea TeKKi, I was just excited. You are welcome to have ownership over the team. If it doesn't work out, do you know of other software that will work on Windows, OS X, and *NIX?

I'm going to be contacting the D2OL programmers about it to see if we can get a Universal binary that will hopefully solve the problems. I didn't mean to take your idea TeKKi, I was just excited. You are welcome to have ownership over the team. If it doesn't work out, do you know of other software that will work on Windows, OS X, and *NIX?

I found this:

Rosetta@Home - BOINC computing platform is supported on linux, windows & OSx. Also, there are many projects listed under BOINC but I find rosetta@home the most appealing as it reminded me of our rosetta days on OSx86 Project's Forum and IRC channels :)

Check it out... works like a charm on all platforms- What say we?

[ UPDATE ]

OSx86 reported 50~95% CPU usage and is Universal - NO PPC

Windows reported 18% CPU usage

Haven't tested linux yet- I'm excited about this ... BOINC is completely customizable and I love the flashy icons on OSx86

Okay lets do that instead, I've already joined up.

You might wanna add this to your first post

http://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/create_account_form.php?teamid=3262

The software is amazing ... cool graphics and you have complete control over what to suspend and what to resume and more!!!

Rosetta@home it is!!!

I've just pm'd you amdprophet ... I found an awesome stat reporting website to use for our forum signatures- Lets discuss this over msn and report back to our team members with useful info. I want to avoid cluttering up this place with useless/repetitive posts

Edit :: Oh! I just noticed my new forum title- Apple Newton! Alriggggght :)

Welcome aboard Colonels B)

It's always good to have the KFC man himself with us!

Stats & Banners coming up in a few hours ... We'll need someone to design a cool team banner for OSx86 Project- Anyone up for the task?

I just signed up for this team. Ive been using Rosetta@home for a lil while now, less than a week, and hadnt found a team yet. Saw there was one here, and signed up. Have my osx86 box and another box setup running it. So hopefully we can get more.

We only have four or five members right now which is probably because not many people understand what we're trying to do. I'm working on writing up some information for the front page so people will actually take a look at this thread and consider helping out. Thanks for choosing our team chapel!

• 2 weeks later...

I with more people would join, it seems that alot of people are concerned about people/apple finding out they are running osx. If only they knew they could hide their computers, so that wouldnt be an issue. As well its not like any personal information is released.

On another note, amdprophet, you have a pentium d 920 running rosetta @ home, well that is what Im running as well, as my main box. Why is there a big discrepency in performance? I do have my oced to 3.5ghz, but honestly I wouldnt think it would be that big of a performance difference.

I also am very curious what kind of systems and how many bearcat is running, shoot, hes got over 1k on average...maybe I need to goto a computer shop with the internet and piggy back their computers with some rosetta clients. ;)

I also am very curious what kind of systems and how many bearcat is running, shoot, hes got over 1k on average...maybe I need to goto a computer shop with the internet and piggy back their computers with some rosetta clients. :dev:

Hi chapel,

For the curious, (many of the laptops are older and were just lying around) I have:

1) Toshiba 8100 laptop 500mhz

2) IBM T22 700mhz

3) Sony Viao laptop 900mhz

4) IBM T40 1.5ghz

5) D920 System

6) D830 System

7) P4 2.5ghz

8) AMD-64 3400+ System

9) AMD-64 3000+ System

10) iMac G5 2.0

11) iMac 1.83 CoreDuo

12) MacBook Pro 2.0

That's all, only trying to help the project.

cheers

Hi chapel,

For the curious, (many of the laptops are older and were just lying around) I have:

1) Toshiba 8100 laptop 500mhz

2) IBM T22 700mhz

3) Sony Viao laptop 900mhz

4) IBM T40 1.5ghz

5) D920 System

6) D830 System

7) P4 2.5ghz

8) AMD-64 3400+ System

9) AMD-64 3000+ System

10) iMac G5 2.0

11) iMac 1.83 CoreDuo

12) MacBook Pro 2.0

That's all, only trying to help the project.

cheers

Thats awesome, keep it up.

I am just competetive, so I need to get some more computers going! :dev: