86 members have voted

1. 1. Was The Guide A Success

• Hell Ya Thanks Man
    • Yes Had To Mod A Little Though
    • Could Not Get To Work :-(
    • Complete Disaster

79 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...

i have a week trying install snow leopard on my laptop brand new HP Pavillion dm3 1130US it came with this spec's

AMD NEO 1.6

4 GB RAM

300 RAM HDD

ATI HD3200

ATI Chipset

Realtek 8102E Ethernet

Atheros 9285

and i can only have succes with the leopard 10.5.7 IATKOS V7, but the mouse trackpad it's useless, ihave to use a usb mouse, and install drivers for the LAN, but i need the wireless and i can't found those drives, either the mouse trackpad, drivers, so i read that with snow leopard theres a fix atheros kext but every time i finish install snow leopard never boot up always have kernel panic, i tried with hazard with 10.6.2 combo update, empire efi with retail snow leopard, and finally this guide and nothing, can anybody helps?, or theres any special configuration?, i appreciate the help

i have a week trying install snow leopard on my laptop brand new HP Pavillion dm3 1130US it came with this spec's

AMD NEO 1.6

4 GB RAM

300 RAM HDD

ATI HD3200

ATI Chipset

Realtek 8102E Ethernet

Atheros 9285

and i can only have succes with the leopard 10.5.7 IATKOS V7, but the mouse trackpad it's useless, ihave to use a usb mouse, and install drivers for the LAN, but i need the wireless and i can't found those drives, either the mouse trackpad, drivers, so i read that with snow leopard theres a fix atheros kext but every time i finish install snow leopard never boot up always have kernel panic, i tried with hazard with 10.6.2 combo update, empire efi with retail snow leopard, and finally this guide and nothing, can anybody helps?, or theres any special configuration?, i appreciate the help

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent Guide!!! This is the only one that worked for me. Your instructions where clear and precise. I was able to boot my AMD system only after one little modification to the kernel... and that was to add maxmem=4096 to the kernel flags. That's it. Another thing worth noting is that the VoodooHDA kext provided in the Hardknox download is not a working version for this Install. Instead I downloaded the VoodooHDA w/Prepane for snow...and it worked like a charm. I used the Release version and not the Release AppleClip. Other than that... It is all smooth sailing from here. Thank you for a great walk-through.

AMD Phenom II X4 945

8GB OCZ Blade PC2-8500

XFX 750a SLi Mobo

2x750gb SATAII HDD

All SATA no IDE

Running AHCI

Triple boot system Windows 7, iAtkos 10.5.8 Qoopz 9.8 Chameleon v2 RC3, OpenSuse Linux 11.2... and now Snow Leopard 10.6.2 on a USB External Drive.

Best Regards.

Excellent Guide!!! This is the only one that worked for me. Your instructions where clear and precise. I was able to boot my AMD system only after one little modification to the kernel... and that was to add maxmem=4096 to the kernel flags. That's it. Another thing worth noting is that the VoodooHDA kext provided in the Hardknox download is not a working version for this Install. Instead I downloaded the VoodooHDA w/Prepane for snow...and it worked like a charm. I used the Release version and not the Release AppleClip. Other than that... It is all smooth sailing from here. Thank you for a great walk-through.

AMD Phenom II X4 945

8GB OCZ Blade PC2-8500

XFX 750a SLi Mobo

2x750gb SATAII HDD

All SATA no IDE

Running AHCI

Triple boot system Windows 7, iAtkos 10.5.8 Qoopz 9.8 Chameleon v2 RC3, OpenSuse Linux 11.2... and now Snow Leopard 10.6.2 on a USB External Drive.

Best Regards.

I would also like to add.

I had iAtkos v7 installed on the second partition of my triple boot system beforehand. I then followed your instructions verbatim to install snow on a USB external hard drive. I was then able to boot to the hard drive from the Chameleon bootloader installed from the second partition. Once I realized that the install was successful, I decided to do the reverse and install iAtkos to the external hard drive and then follow your instructions again to install Snow to the second partition of my C: drive. I then changed the boot order in my Bios as follows: 1)USB Hard Drive 2)CD/DVD Rom 3)Sata HDD (System drive). Now anytime I want to boot to iAtkos I just plug in the USB drive and it automatically show up in the Chameleon boot menu. I unplug the USB hard drive and my Windows 7, Snow, and Linux boot icons show up. And wala! everything works like a charm. Therefore, IT IS POSSIBLE to install Snow to another partition on a single drive, and does not necessarily have to be installed on a separate hard drive all together as I have read in other forums or threads.

Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a fully working Leopard, but I have dual HD4870s and have to take one out every time I want to use OSX, and I hear the Snow Leopard has better support for Dual Cards. Anyway, I get as far as the installation of SL, but then I get the following kernel panic. Does anybody have any idea how I could fix it?

Link to image

My specs are:

HD 4870

AMD Phenom II 940 BE

MSI K9A2 Platinum

4Gb Corsair Dominator

40GB IDE (Mac Drive, 2 Partitions)

AMD Phenom II X4 945

8GB OCZ Blade PC2-8500

XFX 750a SLi Mobo

2x750gb SATAII HDD

All SATA no IDE

Running AHCI

Best Regards.

Yes. thank you so much for your guide, Hard Knock.

I was struggling for few weeks just with 10.5.7 and never imaging I could have SN on my AMDx2. Your walk-through make it so easy and only took half an hour. I still have to work out the kexts for video and mouse, but overall it is running beautifully and fast. I am so happy.

Thank again for the great tutorial.

Have a good time

Best Regards,

Robert

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, guys. I have a working iDeneb 1.6 Leopard 10.5.8 on my PC. I tried to follow this guide to install Snow Leopard. So here is my problem. I replaced the original OSInstall.mpkg with the one from Hardnox folder. When I try to run it I have this.

errorfw.png

Any ideas?

Config

AMD Phenom 9500 Quad Core

4 GB DDR2 667 Mhz

Nvidia nForce Networking Controller

Realtek High Defenition Audio (ALC 662)

Ati Radeon HD 3650

Optiarc DVD-RW

Motherboard GeForce 7050M-M MCP68/AMDK10

Thanks for your guide, worked great for me by only adding AppleNForceATA.kext and a modified IOATAFamily on my KN8 Ultra. I am now on 10.6.3 with all updates and ChamRC4 thanks to you ;)

My only problem is that About This Mac crashes (not a KP, just kinda resets login), and Spotlight preferences hard crashes. Otherwise it's perfect.

//edit

I just patched the system with Marvin's and Spotlight is no longer crashing.

• 1 month later...

For some reason, this does not work for me. I follow all the directions perfectly, but when I select to boot into my SNOW partition, it just says "Loading Darwin/x86" with an underscore blinking underneath this message. It seems to be just stuck in this screen for a while. Then, the screen goes black and just stays in this state.

• 2 weeks later...
alright dawincci i think u might have done a little more than what was needed to fix the original problem now that u are modifying other stuff it is leading to more problems i just use chameleon as instructed in the guide but just so you know when it says waiting for root device u have to specify the location using boot flags such as rd=disk0s2 so the system boots from your primary hard disk and your secondary partition the numbers will probably differ for you but u can contact me on tekmodz.webs.com and i should be able to help u out more let me know how it all goes for you

bro,

i'm still using your installation guide from scratch to 10.6.2 on my pc..is there any possibility that it can be upgrade to 10.6.3? is there any guide for this?

thanks for you info

Hello i tried to install with your guide on COMPAQ 615 (iatkos V7 installed).

Followed every part of guide and i didnt get any error.

After rebooting system, i'm getting error message.. System is not working totally..

Non-System disk or disk error

replace and strike any key when ready.

It seems boot section had a problem. Any idea to fix it?

disk0s2(windows 7)

disk0s3(leopard)

disk0s5(snow leopard)

there is not any disk as "disk0s4", maybe problem is all about this disk ordering system

Guide To Install Snow Leopard On AMD!!!

I figured I would make a guide on how to install Snow Leo on AMD because after tons of different guides that didn't work I finally got the trick. I managed to get my HP TouchSmart Tx2-1020us (AMD Turion-x2 Ultra64) and others up and running so I would like to share with all you frustrated users dying to get your hands on some Snow.

FOLLOW THE GUIDE EXACTLY! CONTINUE AT YOUR OWN RISK! I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY IF YOU MESS UP YOUR PC!

Things You'll Need..

* First thing first and probably the most important, you'll need a working install of Leopard 10.5.x on your PC already. ------(Google - iAtkos is a good OsX86 Distro)

* Original .DMG of Snow Leopard(v.10A432)(Make it writable - Will need to edit .DMG)

* An empty partition or drive with at least 10GB free space

* Download Required HardKnox Files for installation from Here (HardKnox.zip) (Files in the guide with **xxxx** around them will be coming from the HardKnox Folder!!!)

TAKE A BREATH THAT'S THE EASY STUFF LETS HAVE SOME FUN NOW!!!

Step 1. Mount the Snow.DMG file, then go to Disk Utility and save a writeable .DMG file to your desktop or where ever you prefer. Un-Mount the Read-Only .DMG and Mount the new writeable .DMG, After you have the new Snow .DMG Mounted open the image so it brings you to the menu(Picture of Leopard with install and two folders). DO NOT CLICK INSTALL!!!. While the image is open click Go In the Top Menu Bar and select GO TO FOLDER.. then type "/Volumes/<Mounted Snow Leopard Install Disk>/System/Installation/Packages

Step 2. Copy the **OSInstall.mpkg** from the HardKnox Folder and replace the one in your mounted Snow DMG. It's located in folder we previously brought up ("/Volumes/<Mac OS X Install DVD>/System/Installation/Packages").

-- If you haven't done so previously CREATE A PARTITION OR DRIVE WITH A VALID FILESYSTEM FOR YOUR OS. Use Disk Utility to choose an empty Partition or Drive then select ERASE with the OS Ex Journaled option.

Step 3. After the format, make sure the permissions of the partition/drive are correct by running the following commands in the terminal:

-->sudo -s

-->chown 0:0 /Volumes/<Name Of New SNOW Drive>

Step 4. Finally Let's Get Working. Run the "OSInstall.mpkg" file you replaced earlier in the Packages folder from the SNOW install .DMG. DON'T GO CRAZY CLICKING AWAY make sure you change the installation drive to the new SNOW drive and customize the install by removing all the PRINTERS LANGUAGES AND FONTS.As many people say go get a coffee or something, because install will probably take around 20 minutes to finish.

CONGRATS!!! That wasn't hard was it. BUT YOU ARE NOT DONE YET SO DO NOT RESTART!!!

Step 5. Run **Chameleon RC2** MAKE SURE YOU CHANGE INSTALL LOCATION TO NEW SNOW PARTITION/DRIVE!!! When that completes go into the **Chameleon RC3 Folder** then into the i386 folder and copy the **BOOT** file.

-- Run **ShowAllFiles** and select "SHOW", now you need to replace the boot file in the root directory of the new partition/drive with the **BOOT** file from the i386 folder.

Step 6. Now we need to delete a few files and copy a few files in order to make a successful boot, so you need to navigate to the root of the new Snow partition/drive and go to the /Extra then /Extensions folder and trash the "Disabler.kext", now go back to the root and go to the folder called /System then /Library then the /Extensions folder while here we also need to trash the "AppleHPET.kext" and "AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext". So in total 3 kext's should now be trash!! Ok while we are in this /System/Library/Extensions Folder Copy the 7 Files inside the **Snow Kexts Folder** and place them in the current /Extensions folder that we are currently in. So you should be adding: AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext, fakesmc.kext, NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, OpenHaltRestart.kext, PlatformUUID.kext, VoodooHDA.kext and VoodooPS2Controller.kext to the /System/Library/Extensions folder.

Step 7. Copy the **Kext Utility** to your current desktop, then copy the /Extra/Extensions folder from your new SNOW partition/drive to your current desktop. Now drag the new Extensions folder on your desktop OVER the newly copied **Kext Utility** app to open and repair the permissions of that /Extensions Folder. When the **Kext Utility** app finishes it creates a new Extensions.mkext on your desktop. Navigate to the Root of your Snow partition/drive go in the /Extra Folder and delete the old /Extensions Folder and Extensions.mkext. Once you complete that, copy the new /Extensions Folder and Extensions.mkext from your desktop and place into your /Extra folder on your New SNOW partition/drive.

--If you would like a little less clutter amongst your files you can now run **ShowAllFiles** again and chose HIDE if you wish to get rid of all the hidden files.

Step 8. Run **DSDT Patcher** from the **DSDT** folder. In the patcher for OS options select Darwin/Mac OS X and for patcher options select Apply DSDT To... MAKE SURE YOU SELECT YOUR SNOW PARTITION/DRIVE. Then Patch.

Step 9. Copy **smbios.plist** and place in the /Extra Folder off of your SNOW root directory, while in this directory copy your com.apple.boot.plist file to your current desktop, open the file on your desktop inside the text there is "mach_kernel" add .test7 to the end of the two words so it should now look like "<string>mach_kernel.test7</string>" once you have done so save the file. Return to the /Extra folder where you received the com.apple.boot.plist file from and delete the old com.apple.boot.plist file then copy the new file from your desktop and put it in the folder where it originally came from. Once you are done that, copy **mach_kernel.test7** and place it in your SNOW partition/drive root directory.

Step 10. Now finally last step, all you need to do is repair the permissions for the SNOW Extensions folder. In order for it to repair you need to put the following commands into the terminal.

-->sudo -s

-->cd /Volumes/<Snow Leopard Installation>/System/Library/Extensions

-->chown -R root:wheel *

-->chmod -R 755 *

CONGRATS!!! You should now have a working copy of SNOW. When you restart choose SNOW when chameleon boot loader shows up. You should probably repair permissions through Disk Utility once you are in the OS(If for some reason the OS says you don't have the package installed for Repairing your permissions Navigate back to the Packages folder in the SNOW.DMG you installed from and install the BSD package). If your internet or sound doesn't work look around the web for a driver, remember SNOW IS MADE FOR A MAC not your PC so hopefully somebody else has already made a driver for your Hardware. I did not include details on Video cards just makes stuff more confusing and more likely for some errors but you can look up info about EFiStudio to add specific details to the com.apple.boot.plist file. So as of now you will be booting using generic drivers nothing fancy I am just trying to get you guys up and running. There are wonderful sites out there dedicated to helping us 0sX86 modders so join some and help the community grow. There are different kernel flags you can use to control the way your OS boots so for example to see exactly what your pc is loading while the OS boots while selecting the SNOW drive in chameleon type "-v" to enter verbose mode, "-x" for safe mode, there are many things you can do for 32-bit mode type "arch=x86_32", "-f", etc., look online for commands they can be helpful. If for some reason you don't boot up re-read the steps and follow EXACTLY!!. Use the -f -v commands first boot so you can know how things go that way you can see exactly what goes wrong if anything. PM me for any questions. GOOD LUCK!!

Combo Update to 10.6.2: Mac OS X v10.6.2 Update (Combo)

If For Any Reason You Can Not Get Working Please Ask For Help!!!PM Me!!!AIM:HardKnoxNi69a!!! That Is The Whole Point Of This OsX86 Community Is To Help Each Other Dominate The Computer World!!!!!

All You Have To Do Is Click A Button To Vote If This Was Helpful!!! Thanks!!! :D:D:D

bro,

i try to follow your guide and use 10.6.3 retail it's a success..i look for another kernel, i use > legacy kernel 10.2.0< ,instead of the file attachment. then i use the same bootloader from your attachment file.

the boot file that i've use is from asere's v1.1.9 modified bootloader.

after installation i type arch=i386 and it went all the way..the only problem is the display and the internet connection..i'm using 8600gt and the lan card is attansic L1. the display resolution is by default 1024x768 . if i use switch to 10.5.8 it shows several resolution,can i salvage a kext from leopard hd and move to snow?

i tried to reboot and type -v..it took alot of time. i use -f it went through.

it also shows that the kext that i've put into the extra/extensions folder are not installed properly,so i open disk utility to repair disk permissions and to verify disk permissions.

NO AUDIO

NO INTERNET

i know that you have the ability to solve this issues..alot of us here using AMD motherboard are willing to take the risk to explore and learn the installation method.

looking forward hearing from you

SPECS:

AMD 780GM-A

+5000 PROCESSOR

4GB 1066MHZ DDR2

640GB WD HARDDISK

8600GT DISPLAY

here is the kernel i use

smbios plist:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>legacy_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

</dict>

</plist>

legacy_kernel_10.3.0.pkg.zip

bro,

i try to follow your guide and use 10.6.3 retail it's a success..i look for another kernel, i use > legacy kernel 10.2.0< ,instead of the file attachment. then i use the same bootloader from your attachment file.

the boot file that i've use is from asere's v1.1.9 modified bootloader.

after installation i type arch=i386 and it went all the way..the only problem is the display and the internet connection..i'm using 8600gt and the lan card is attansic L1. the display resolution is by default 1024x768 . if i use switch to 10.5.8 it shows several resolution,can i salvage a kext from leopard hd and move to snow?

i tried to reboot and type -v..it took alot of time. i use -f it went through.

it also shows that the kext that i've put into the extra/extensions folder are not installed properly,so i open disk utility to repair disk permissions and to verify disk permissions.

NO AUDIO

NO INTERNET

i know that you have the ability to solve this issues..alot of us here using AMD motherboard are willing to take the risk to explore and learn the installation method.

looking forward hearing from you

SPECS:

AMD 780GM-A

+5000 PROCESSOR

4GB 1066MHZ DDR2

640GB WD HARDDISK

8600GT DISPLAY

here is the kernel i use

smbios plist:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>legacy_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

</dict>

</plist>

When I run the OSPackage, I get the error "The installer could not locate the data it needed ..." after I start the installation. I used the retail 10.6.3 as the baseline.

I have an AMD with the Asus M2A-VM motherboard.

I've trie GUID or MBR on the target disk but it won't work either way.

Has anyone encountered this issue?

When I run the OSPackage, I get the error "The installer could not locate the data it needed ..." after I start the installation. I used the retail 10.6.3 as the baseline.

I have an AMD with the Asus M2A-VM motherboard.

I've trie GUID or MBR on the target disk but it won't work either way.

Has anyone encountered this issue?

i use MBR partition. then run the installation on 10.5.8 ideneb lite. so far it works.

itunes won't work at first so i get the latest version and re-install.

internet works well now..audio works with usb audio donggle

just now that i've notice that safari acts a little bit,when i download from the web it won't get through,unless i redirect the location of the files to another location.and i can't make a folder on the desktop.

i use MBR partition. then run the installation on 10.5.8 ideneb lite. so far it works.

itunes won't work at first so i get the latest version and re-install.

internet works well now..audio works with usb audio donggle

just now that i've notice that safari acts a little bit,when i download from the web it won't get through,unless i redirect the location of the files to another location.and i can't make a folder on the desktop.

Do you have the same Motherboard? I have native sound working on 10.5.8.

I will try your suggestion. IDeneb is the only thing I ever got working on this machine.

yes.i use same motherboard for 10.5.8

ecs780gm-a ..i can't get the on-board audio working..does yours work?

Sound works on my Asus M2A-VM with 10.5.8. However, I don't remember what I did to get it working (it was a while back). I know it did not work immediately after install.

Sound works on my Asus M2A-VM with 10.5.8. However, I don't remember what I did to get it working (it was a while back). I know it did not work immediately after install.

my on-board chipset is sigmatel 90hd206x

thanks for the great guide, but I am a little confused about the installation process.

Before I ask my any question, let me give you my specs:

HP Pavilion DV6607nr

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core TK-53

Chipset: NVIDIA nForce 560 MCP67?

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 7150M/nForce 630M (0x053110de)

Conexant HD Audio (0x504514f1)

Wireless: Broadcom BCM4311 (0x431114e4)

Ethernet: nForce Adapter (0x054C10de)

I had a very difficult time installing Leopard due to my nForce 560 chipset. I had to use Leo4Allv4.1 with a special modified Extensions.mkext which finally allowed me to boot into Leopard.

For the Snow Leopard installation, I am confused about the Extensions. Do I have to have special kext like the AppleNForceATA.kext, to have my chipset work? Which other kext do I need? Should I just copy and paste the Extensions in my current Leopard installation into the Extensions folder when I install Snow Leopard?

I was suggested to use the Extensions uploaded by Krishna21 in his nForce 630i guide. Should I use his Extensions or should I use the Extensions from my current Leopard installation?