Working Driver Realtek 8187 (Snow Leopard)

i_am_tristan

45 posts in this topic

I updated my system to 10.6.3. Before that update my Realtek 8187B Wireless USB Card worked flawlessly. Now I cannot launch the Realtek USB Wlan Utility client nor the Netgear Wlan Client Utility. The icons are jumping but nothing happens. Any idea how to get this apps work? RTL8187Bl is installed.

Thanks!

Anyone try this on an i7 in 64-bit 10.6.2 or 10.6.3? I've heard of other methods that work on other cards but using an i7 processor with hyper-threading breaks the fix (and I NEED hyper-threading).

...Please god, I'm tired of using my Windows 7 laptop (AKA space-heater) for internet...

• 3 weeks later...

If only the blue crab didn't suck so hard.

The crazy thing is the author actually used Cocoa to make this app. At first I thought it was a cappy GTK or Qt app, but it seems it's just a really bad port of the controller. In other words he took the windoze app and rewired all the Win32 controls to Cocoa controls.

MVC man, why do people refuse to follow it?

• 1 month later...

Works great on my Dual Core HP Pavilion, on a Netgear WG111v3 I just picked up at Best Buy. Used Kexthelper, had a kernel panic, bypassed the cache on boot and works perfect from there. Thanks so much! Oh, running in 64bit mode, Snow Leopard 10.6.4.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey,

i use a Netgear WG111 v3,

last weekend i updated on snow leopard. Sadly the netgear wlan tool intstaller won't complete the install process.

It always reported something with "coud not install RTL8187Bl.kext"

I modified this kext and now it works.

Just install the attached kext using kext helper.

Enjoy - Tristan.

Brought back my generic USB wireless with 8187l chip back to life in 10.6.4 by adding this kext along with RealTek's 10.5 driver+app.

Thanks! :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Attached kext produces no magic for me.

Toshiba Satellite L455 w/ built-in realtek 8187 (not sure if it's 8187L OR 8187B? how do I check?)

I tried it after installing the official leopard (10.5) driver for 8187L from realtek's website. Realtek WLAN utility (blue crab) bounces in dock once and vanishes. No visible changes in the network prefpane.

(Snow 10.6.4 - Chameleon Boot)

edit: It's the 8187B

Same thing for me I have Satellite L455 and built in Realtek 8187b and I can't get any kext to work. Snow leopard installs great but when I start Wlan utility it starts then vanishes, the second one just bounces. When I install kext from various websites I get the "Power off computer" message. I keep trying and failing. PLEASE HELP

• 2 weeks later...

I am running Snow Leopard 10.6.4 and can confirm that this method works perfectly!

I booted in 32-bit mode, installed the Realtek_RTL8187B_MacOS10.5_Driver1148_UI1

and got the kext error message. Then I used kexthelper to install the modified kext and rebooted.

Voila!

Hi, i'm running Snow Leopard 10.6.4 64 bit, Thanks to this place! help me so much, but, i have an internal usb adapter RTL8187l (P5b-Deluxe WIFI/AP motherboard) and I have to boot in 32 bit mode to make it work, by the way, installing this package it works without any other modification. But, i want it to run in 64bit mode, is there any kext or package to make it work in 64bit kernel? or any modification we can make?

Thank you!

Here is the link: http://rapidshare.com/files/416293220/Real...0.6.4_32bit.zip

• 2 months later...