ATI 4890 Snow Leopard 10.6.1 10.6.2 Information Thread

Vanillian

44 posts in this topic

What's the GTX260 ?

You have a spare one (replaced it with the HD 4890) ?

Sorry, this is the Vendor's Name for that System I orderd, but replaced the GTX with ATI HD 4890 for a better compatibility(so I thought ;-) ). Originaly cames that system by this Vendor with the GTX260, but as I said, I replaced it wit the ATI. I had a closer look at the Card and I see that the manufactor of the Card is PowerColor. On the Box: ATI Radeon Premium Graphics, ATI Cross Fire X Technologie, 1 GB GDDR5, Dual DVI.

• 3 weeks later...
Has anybody tried 10.6.3?? QE CI Exotic cards 10.6.3.pkg is available

Hi,

I tried the update and it worked for me without any Problems. Just update from 10.6.2 to 10.6.3, restart and install the QE CI Exotic cards 10.6.3.pkg and restart again. @ GK87: please remove the QE CI Exotic cards 10.6.3.pkg link in your posting, because that version messed up my System with ATI RADEON HD 4890. see netkas.org with descriptions and download the new QE CI Exotic cards 10.6.3.pkg there. My mouse lag is now a mouse jump, but it's muuuuuuch better to work with, even if it's still not perfect.

good luck

• 3 weeks later...

i finally am able to get 10.6.2 running with my ati 4890 but like others im getting a 100% fan and also my second card isn't being detected. However when I run chameleon off a usb drive to install, it mirrors the output and doesnt have fan noise. The fan noise is present after the first boot.

Does the fan noise go down when you open System Profiler ?

It does with my HD 3870.

So I leave the System Profiler window open all the time (as small as I can make the window). Not ideal, but it keeps the guys with the straight jacket away.

When playing a movie with QuickTime (the version that comes bundled with iTunes), it ramps up the fan noise again though.

EDIT:

Your 4890, does it have 2 DVI-I outputs and do both provide dual-link digital (2560x1600), and also analogue signal ?

If so, which brand and exact model number.

i finally am able to get 10.6.2 running with my ati 4890 but like others im getting a 100% fan and also my second card isn't being detected. However when I run chameleon off a usb drive to install, it mirrors the output and doesnt have fan noise. The fan noise is present after the first boot.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm interested to know from those people who have got this to work on their 4890s in Dual Display extended mode - What outputs are you using?

I have a Sapphire Vapor-x 4890 1Gb with 1x VGA, 1x DVI, 1x HDMI and 1x DP outputs and can only get the DVI to show an image.

Granted I have not followed the steps yet outlined in this Thread, but I want to know whether it will solve my dual-monitor problems before I mess with, what is, a perfectly working 1 monitor setup.

• 1 month later...

I have the same card and I'm sharing the same problem :lol:

This is the only thing that I wasn't able to solve

I found that before exotic patch I got dual screen working but only in mirror mode.

After the patch only dvi works.

Any help is really appreciate!

I'm interested to know from those people who have got this to work on their 4890s in Dual Display extended mode - What outputs are you using?

I have a Sapphire Vapor-x 4890 1Gb with 1x VGA, 1x DVI, 1x HDMI and 1x DP outputs and can only get the DVI to show an image.

Granted I have not followed the steps yet outlined in this Thread, but I want to know whether it will solve my dual-monitor problems before I mess with, what is, a perfectly working 1 monitor setup.

I have an option to get this exact same card from a mate, but I'm also concerned with the Dual Display compatibility. Have you tried the steps outlined here?

I have the same card and I'm sharing the same problem :unsure:

This is the only thing that I wasn't able to solve

I found that before exotic patch I got dual screen working but only in mirror mode.

After the patch only dvi works.

Any help is really appreciate!

Are you also using a Sapphire Vapor-X 4890 1GB with the four outputs?

Over at MacRumors they are flashing PC 4890's to use in their genuine Macs :http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=713428

If you follow the link in the first post of that thread and then scroll to the bottom of that first post, you'll read this :

Additional things to know about flashed cards:

For 4870 / 4890 cards:

Only one DVI port is dual link ( supports 30" screens) second is single link.

Cards with other ports then DVI may not work properly, search

Dual displays works under Snow Leopard only.

You can not use VGA ( vga-dvi converter ) on the card.

If you go to Apple's website, you'l see this for 4870 sold by Apple : http://www.apple.com/macpro/specs.html :

Video adapters available for:

* Additional DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter (optional)

* Additional dual-link DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter (optional)

* VGA output using Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter or DVI to VGA Display Adapter (optional)

In other words the Mini DisplayPort is causing Maxi problems (max 1280x800 resolution output). Even on a real Mac the drivers to not provide a true DVI-I, nor dual link DVI-I signal on the second output. The drivers only provide a signal compatible with the Mini DisplayPort on the second output.

This is carried over to the 4890 of course because Apple doesn't sell it, you are using the same driver as the 4870.

First look what Apple sells, before you buy. They do not sell 48xx cards with 2 DVI-I ports.

They pulled the same {censored}e with the 4850 in the iMac.

Over at MacRumors they are flashing PC 4890's to use in their genuine Macs :http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=713428

If you follow the link in the first post of that thread and then scroll to the bottom of that first post, you'll read this :

If you go to Apple's website, you'l see this for 4870 sold by Apple : http://www.apple.com/macpro/specs.html :

In other words the Mini DisplayPort is causing Maxi problems (max 1280x800 resolution output). Even on a real Mac the drivers to not provide a true DVI-I, nor dual link DVI-I signal on the second output. The drivers only provide a signal compatible with the Mini DisplayPort on the second output.

This is carried over to the 4890 of course because Apple doesn't sell it, you are using the same driver as the 4870.

First look what Apple sells, before you buy. They do not sell 48xx cards with 2 DVI-I ports.

They pulled the same {censored}e with the 4850 in the iMac.

That's what I basically arrived at - the RV790 will just be a pain in the ass if I wanted to drive more than just one monitor. I currently am running an old rig with a GTX275 to complement my Mac Pro. I guess it will stay that way until a better and more compatible card arrives (and find another solution to the blocked SATA ports on that mobo).

Yeah I gave up on ATI 48xx cards for dual monitor support a couple of months ago.

I didn't even consider the 5xxx cards that were just coming out because Apple did not sell them.

Looking for about 2 months now for an answer if I can drive my 2 x 30" monitors with a GTX 260/275/285 card. But that's off-topic in this thread.

How do I get dual monitors working on my Sapphire HD4890 Vapor X 1GB card?

When I boot with two displays connected (one on the DVI port and one on the HDMI port) they are both working until the OSX desktop appears, then the second display says 'No Signal'. I have tried both the VGA and HDMI ports for the second monitor but they don't work. The VGA and HDMI port also don't work when I connect only one monitor to either the VGA or HDMI port.

Great NEWS!!

The displayport->dvi adapter just arrived and it works!

For working dual monitor with extended desktop my setup is:

10.6.3 with dualdvi patch from cindori

1 display attached trough dvi

2 display attached trough dvi in the displayport via the adapter displayport->dvi.

My video card is the Sapphire Vapor-x 1gb with vga hdmi displayport dvi.

I tried all the combination but only dvi and displayport ports work.

Now In the next days I'm going to update to 10.6.4 and I'll let you know.