ATI 4890 Snow Leopard 10.6.1 10.6.2 Information Thread

Vanillian

44 posts in this topic

INTRO (V1 POSTED DEC 6)

This is the 4890 information consolidation thread. Information about 4890 is so spread out amongst countless forums that it becomes no longer useful to us. The purpose of this thread is help those with 4890's to get them to work, and fully work in hopefully 10.6.2.

FAQ

* Denotes Disclaimer.

1. Do I have to flash my card? I don't want to...

None of the steps in this thread require flashing of any sort.

2. I thought I had to flash the card to get it to work in my Mac Pro?

This thread is not about using the 4890 in a REAL Mac Pro. Some of this information may be helpful to those seeking to do that, but that is not the purpose of this thread.

3. Which ATI 4890 do I need to buy to work in my Hackintosh? Does it matter?

It does matter, so I've heard. It is the best to buy reference cards. A reference card is a card that meets and matches the specifications as designed by ATI. *As far as I know reference 4890's have two DVI's and a single S-Video.

4. Where can I find one of these reference cards to use in my Hackintosh?

The same places you buy everything else computer related...Newegg.com, Tigerdirect.com, Zipzoomfly.com.

*Here is the card I am using: LINK

The card I actually received, however, looks nothing like that card.

5. Why should I use the 4890 in my Hackintosh?

It is arguably the most powerful card you can put in your Hackintosh as the 5*** series by ATI are not yet working.

6. Can the 4890 support Multiple Monitors?

*I can't personally answer that question but will update this once I do get that information.

FRESH INSTALL/UPGRADE FROM LEOPARD (10.5) GUIDE:

I would like to thank Tony from http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com so much for his wonderful guides.

DUAL BOOT GUIDE

Dual Boot Guide

i5/i7 GUIDE

Retail Snow Leopard Install for P55 i5/i7

IF YOU ARE FOLLOWING ONE OF HIS GUIDES OR ANY GUIDE, DO NOT UPGRADE TO 10.6.1 WITHOUT DOING THESE STEPS.

While in 10.6

While in 10.6 you probably have 1280x1024 resolution or less, no QE/CI and a generally ugly looking display. Here are the steps you need to do in 10.6 to get full Resolution and QE/CI.

1. Make sure you have PC EFI 10.5 (or 10.4) installed. If you were following Tony's guide you have 10.1 installed. To install PC EFI you need to download it from the wonderful Netkas. (LINK) To install it, simply unzip it, and drag 'boot' in Finder's sidebar to your Snow Leopard Disk. This file is required.

2. This step was taken from another thread on this forum and is not my own. A thanks goes out to user BM2. If my links become inactive go to this post. (LINK)

Download the three files at the end of this post, which are:

EVOenable.kext

ATI4800Controller.kext

ATIRAEDONX2000.kext

And install them by dragging them into System/Library/Extensions. You may get an error several seconds after dropping them in there that says their installation failed or something along those lines. Ignore it. After dropping them in there, run these commands:

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions;
 sudo chown -R 0:0 /System/Library/Extensions;
 sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions;

After doing that, restart.

3. Upon successful restart head over to the Apple Website and down load the 10.6.1 update. BUT, do NOT start the updater.(LINK)

4. Head over to Netkas' site once again and download his QE/CI Exotic Patcher for 10.6.1 (LINK)

5. Run Apple's 10.6.1 updater, but DO NOT PRESS RESTART.

6. As soon as the 10.6.1 updater has done its job and it says "Install Complete", drag that Window away so you don't accidently restart. Run Netkas' QE CI Exotic Patcher for 10.6.1

7. Restart.

You should now be in 10.6.1 with full Res and QE/CI! To test this, play Chess, and if you can see the chess piece move congrats everything is working as it should.

I hope this guide consolidates a lot of the stuff out there, and helps at least one person out.

10.6.2 NOT WORKING (YET?)

So I attempted to basically repeat the update OSX, ignore the restart, and run 10.6.2 QE CI Exotic patcher to try to get 10.6.2 working. During the loading after the reset I got various errors about ATI4800Controller.kext and I booted into OSX with garbled video.

There may be several reasons for this, and if anyone has gotten their fully working on 10.6.2 I would like to know your process.

Possible Problems:

1. Installing the patch before the restart. I really don't know how much the order really affects this.

2. After installing the patch, I noticed that instead of having the usual Code_signature folder, the Mac OSX folder and other misc files, ATI4800Controller.kext only contained the info.plist. I saw this lack of other files and still rebooted after patching to the error above. Perhaps the newer info.plist is to be copied directly into the 10.6.1 ATI4800Controller.kext?

4890 USERS HELP ME AND OTHERS OUT BY

1. Telling me which card you have been successful with! Newegg LINK PLEASE

2. Telling me how you upgraded into 10.6.1/10.6.2

EVOenabler.kext.zip

ATI4800Controller.kext.zip

ATIRadeonX2000.kext.zip

has anyone gotten sleep to work with this 4890? I used netkas exotic pkg to get it to run with 10.6.2 dual monitors, but still no luck with sleep. Is this a lost cause?

Can you go over how you got 10.6.2 with dual monitors to work? What method did you use?

Can you go over how you got 10.6.2 with dual monitors to work? What method did you use?

I went through this guide to get to 10.6.1, and then netkas guide to get to 10.6.2.

when i went to 10.6.2 i just got the upgrade from apple, along with the nullcpupm kext from netkas.

I put the nullcpupm kext in extra, then installed apple's upgrade. Before I restarted, i installed netkas 10.6.2 exotic pkg.

on reboot, I buildcache and everything is fine.

So I attempted to basically repeat the update OSX, ignore the restart, and run 10.6.2 QE CI Exotic patcher to try to get 10.6.2 working. During the loading after the reset I got various errors about ATI4800Controller.kext and I booted into OSX with garbled video.

There may be several reasons for this, and if anyone has gotten their fully working on 10.6.2 I would like to know your process.

Possible Problems:

1. Installing the patch before the restart. I really don't know how much the order really affects this.

2. After installing the patch, I noticed that instead of having the usual Code_signature folder, the Mac OSX folder and other misc files, ATI4800Controller.kext only contained the info.plist. I saw this lack of other files and still rebooted after patching to the error above. Perhaps the newer info.plist is to be copied directly into the 10.6.1 ATI4800Controller.kext?

I have an asus HD4890 working with 10.6.2 Newegg Link

First I downloaded and installed the combo update online from apple's website to update from 10.6.0, then followed instructions from BarryBar's thread located here, finally I installed Netkas' QE/CI exotic patch.

screenshot20091212at310.png

Have you gotten sleep to work? Dual Screens?

Sleep works, dual screens do not.

I also have fakesmc.kext installed and my system is using a vanilla 10.6.2 kernel.

My full setup

Intel Core I5-750 @ 3.60 ghz 1.3125 vCore (I installed SL at stock clocks)

Gigabyte P55-UD3R with working HD audio

G.Skill Trident DDR3 2000mhz

Asus Radeon HD 4890 (QE/CI but no dual screens)

IDE DVD Drive, (I borrowed a SATA drive for SL install)

I installed it all using tonymac's p55 install disc, a snow leopard retail disc and a DSDT.aml made for my mobo.

Sleep works, dual screens do not.

I also have fakesmc.kext installed and my system is using a vanilla 10.6.2 kernel.

My full setup

Intel Core I5-750 @ 3.60 ghz 1.3125 vCore (I installed SL at stock clocks)

Gigabyte P55-UD3R with working HD audio

G.Skill Trident DDR3 2000mhz

Asus Radeon HD 4890 (QE/CI but no dual screens)

IDE DVD Drive, (I borrowed a SATA drive for SL install)

I installed it all using tonymac's p55 install disc, a snow leopard retail disc and a DSDT.aml made for my mobo.

interesting...i'm using vanilla kernel on an

Intel i7 920

gigabyte ex58 ud5

6gig DDR3 1600

MSI R4890-T2D1G OC Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5

i have perfect dual screen, even if both are connected at startup. I might have to try something else though to get sleep working.

i never could get dual screens to work in leopard, but back then i had perfect sleep.

interesting...i'm using vanilla kernel on an

Intel i7 920

gigabyte ex58 ud5

6gig DDR3 1600

MSI R4890-T2D1G OC Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5

i have perfect dual screen, even if both are connected at startup. I might have to try something else though to get sleep working.

i never could get dual screens to work in leopard, but back then i had perfect sleep.

Are both of the screens using DVI? I have heard there are issues when you use one screen with dvi and the other with a dvi-vga adapter, (which is my setup).

Is it possible to use DSDT to load 4890? Has anyone tried that?

If you add on (GFX) key all values filled as from PC_EFI/Chameleon does, then yes, it is totally possible to use DSDT to load 4890. Modified extensions and patches, however, are still needed as they allow usage of "generic" hardware instead of "Made for Mac" only.

• 1 month later...
INTRO (V1 POSTED DEC 6)

This is the 4890 information consolidation thread. Information about 4890 is so spread out amongst countless forums that it becomes no longer useful to us. The purpose of this thread is help those with 4890's to get them to work, and fully work in hopefully 10.6.2.

FAQ

* Denotes Disclaimer.

1. Do I have to flash my card? I don't want to...

None of the steps in this thread require flashing of any sort.

2. I thought I had to flash the card to get it to work in my Mac Pro?

This thread is not about using the 4890 in a REAL Mac Pro. Some of this information may be helpful to those seeking to do that, but that is not the purpose of this thread.

3. Which ATI 4890 do I need to buy to work in my Hackintosh? Does it matter?

It does matter, so I've heard. It is the best to buy reference cards. A reference card is a card that meets and matches the specifications as designed by ATI. *As far as I know reference 4890's have two DVI's and a single S-Video.

4. Where can I find one of these reference cards to use in my Hackintosh?

The same places you buy everything else computer related...Newegg.com, Tigerdirect.com, Zipzoomfly.com.

*Here is the card I am using: LINK

The card I actually received, however, looks nothing like that card.

5. Why should I use the 4890 in my Hackintosh?

It is arguably the most powerful card you can put in your Hackintosh as the 5*** series by ATI are not yet working.

6. Can the 4890 support Multiple Monitors?

*I can't personally answer that question but will update this once I do get that information.

FRESH INSTALL/UPGRADE FROM LEOPARD (10.5) GUIDE:

I would like to thank Tony from http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com so much for his wonderful guides.

DUAL BOOT GUIDE

Dual Boot Guide

i5/i7 GUIDE

Retail Snow Leopard Install for P55 i5/i7

IF YOU ARE FOLLOWING ONE OF HIS GUIDES OR ANY GUIDE, DO NOT UPGRADE TO 10.6.1 WITHOUT DOING THESE STEPS.

While in 10.6

While in 10.6 you probably have 1280x1024 resolution or less, no QE/CI and a generally ugly looking display. Here are the steps you need to do in 10.6 to get full Resolution and QE/CI.

1. Make sure you have PC EFI 10.5 (or 10.4) installed. If you were following Tony's guide you have 10.1 installed. To install PC EFI you need to download it from the wonderful Netkas. (LINK) To install it, simply unzip it, and drag 'boot' in Finder's sidebar to your Snow Leopard Disk. This file is required.

2. This step was taken from another thread on this forum and is not my own. A thanks goes out to user BM2. If my links become inactive go to this post. (LINK)

Download the three files at the end of this post, which are:

EVOenable.kext

ATI4800Controller.kext

ATIRAEDONX2000.kext

And install them by dragging them into System/Library/Extensions. You may get an error several seconds after dropping them in there that says their installation failed or something along those lines. Ignore it. After dropping them in there, run these commands:

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions;
	sudo chown -R 0:0 /System/Library/Extensions;
	sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions;

After doing that, restart.

3. Upon successful restart head over to the Apple Website and down load the 10.6.1 update. BUT, do NOT start the updater.(LINK)

4. Head over to Netkas' site once again and download his QE/CI Exotic Patcher for 10.6.1 (LINK)

5. Run Apple's 10.6.1 updater, but DO NOT PRESS RESTART.

6. As soon as the 10.6.1 updater has done its job and it says "Install Complete", drag that Window away so you don't accidently restart. Run Netkas' QE CI Exotic Patcher for 10.6.1

7. Restart.

You should now be in 10.6.1 with full Res and QE/CI! To test this, play Chess, and if you can see the chess piece move congrats everything is working as it should.

I hope this guide consolidates a lot of the stuff out there, and helps at least one person out.

Possible Problems:

Using a HIS 4890 OC, I got dual monitor output (works on startup) and QI/QE; however, I can't seem to get the second card to detect nor can I get the fans to run slower than 100%.

Specs:

Intel Core i7 920

Gigabyte EX58-UD4P

12GB DDR3-1600

2x 160GB Hitachi SATA

2x HIS 4890 OC

OS X 10.6.2

I did the following to get it to work with dual monitor:

1. Clean Install of 10.6.1 (using this guide).

2. Updated to 10.6.2 (no restart).

3. Changed com.apple.Boot.plist and ktext files with updated 10.6.2 versions.

4. Rebooted and installed NetKas' QE/CI exotic 10.6.2 patcher (no restart).

5. Updated com.apple.Boot.plist with the following strings added:

<key>ATIROM</key>

<string>Yes</string>

6. ???

7. Profit.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kurumi,

So did you get both your 4890 to work?

I'm using 2 xfx 4890 zsfc 1gb, got dual monitor on 1 card and the other is not detected 100

% fan speed.

btw, i'm on pc efi 10.6.

Using a HIS 4890 OC, I got dual monitor output (works on startup) and QI/QE; however, I can't seem to get the second card to detect nor can I get the fans to run slower than 100%.

Specs:

Intel Core i7 920

Gigabyte EX58-UD4P

12GB DDR3-1600

2x 160GB Hitachi SATA

2x HIS 4890 OC

OS X 10.6.2

I did the following to get it to work with dual monitor:

1. Clean Install of 10.6.1 (using this guide).

2. Updated to 10.6.2 (no restart).

3. Changed com.apple.Boot.plist and ktext files with updated 10.6.2 versions.

4. Rebooted and installed NetKas' QE/CI exotic 10.6.2 patcher (no restart).

5. Updated com.apple.Boot.plist with the following strings added:

6. ???

7. Profit.

post-312733-1266831336_thumb.jpg

so here is a -v boot

can anyone tell me why the second video card does detect properly? i get a wrong pci header signature ffffffff

does it have to do with the pci root uid not found?

please help. otherwise, the ati 4890 works perfectly, dual dvi working too, just the second 4890 isn't detected and the fan runs at 100%

works perfectly i n windows 7 in crossfire

thanks

marc

dude....plz solve my problem.....screen resolution working fine on my sapphire 4890 hd, but no QE\CL and preview is not diplaying any image...cant take screenshot....its also not detecting dvd drive......im using snow leopard 10.6.2 by hazard...

dude....plz solve my problem.....screen resolution working fine on my sapphire 4890 hd, but no QE\CL and preview is not diplaying any image...cant take screenshot....its also not detecting dvd drive......im using snow leopard 10.6.2 by hazard...

did you install the qeci exotic kext?

try the ati installer found here

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=811768

it worked for me. just don't flash your ati card.

thanx a lot marc5!!! :)

it worked for me.....i just installed QE\CL package and the natit injector ( dnt remember the name )

no flashing.....after reboot i got everything working.......thanx a lot buddy!! hats off to u......

To anyone in this thread reporting a working dual screen setup with a HD 4890.

Do you get dual-link DVI (2560x1600) from *both* DVI-I ports ?

If so which make and manufacturer model number (EAN) ?

got both dvi on mine working. can't verify if it's dual link coz monitor only supports 1920x1200.

just can't get both ati cards working.

Thanks for that info. But meanwhile I was told that the qe_ci_exotic_10.6.2 patch (QE_CI_Exotic patch 10.6.2.pkg) needs to be applied after every update of SL. There is always something (ATI and NVidia).

Too risky for me, so I decided to take the NVidia route.

Hard to get a hold off at the moment (GTX 260), but less hassle to get them to work. And more importantly to keep them working.

Some very old NVidia cards still have the complete package QE/CI/OpenCL supported in 10.6.2, without any extra effort/patching.

Archiv.zipHi everyone,

after a fresh, new buy of a PC specially for using it as a Hackintosh, I actually could setup my Hackintosh after 3-4 Days. Now, after 3-4 Weeks I have a acceptable knowledge of understanding and using Hackintosh. But one important thing is not working till know and it is driving me crazy. It is about the Videocard ATI HD 4890. May be one of you guys can help me to resolve this problem and make me a 100% happy Hackintosher. First of all this is my Pc-configuration I bought specialy for a Hackintosh:

PC-System Core i7 920 - GTX260

Power:600W LC-Power Green Power LC6600GP2 V2.3

Cardreader:5,25" Panel: cardreader/USB/eSATA/FireWire

Drive:LG GH22LS50 DVD-Burner

HD:1TB Seagate 7200.12 SATA2

RAM:12GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1333 CL9

Videocard:ATI Radeon HD 4890 1024MB

Mainboard:Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel X58 / Bios F10(the latest)

CPU-cooler:Orig. Box-Cooler

CPU (Processor):Intel Core i7 920

Case:Antec Three Hundred

After installing the system 10.6 with the X58 MOBO PATCH INSTALLER everything is working perfekt except QE/CI of course! Now it's getting very confusing: As soon as I install the QE_CI_Exotic_SL.pkg from netkas, QuarzExtreme and core Image are working, but I get a mouse and Keybordlag. Video and Audio Playing are working well without Lag, so it can't be the Quicktimebug. Updating to 10.6.1 and 10.6.2 is not resolving the Problem. As soon as I reinstall the 2 original kextensions from Apple (ATIRadeonX2000.kext/ATI4800Controller.kext) with Pacifist in the S/L/E and reboot, Lag is gone and again no QE/CI. So I can nearly 100% say, that the problem is coming from the netkas QE_CI_Exotic Patch. But after a lot of searching&reading I didn't saw anyone else with this Problem. So I am tring since 3 or 4 Weeks every thinkable variations to get this Problem eliminated, but still after 1 Billion reboots and cold and warm starts I still can not get it Working. This are what I tried without any success:

- Fresh install several times

- updating the system and patching it bevor reboot with QE_CI_Exotic

- repair Permissions

- cache rebuilding

- using the EVOenabler.kext to inject card instead ATY_init.kext

- ATI.ROM loading standard(garbled screen)

- ATI.ROM selfmade Laoding(garbled screen)

- changing the dvi-Port

- changing some bios settings

I like to note that I have a triple running system on just 1 HD, which is actually working perfect. But I don't think this has anything to do with this issue. My work os x without QE/CI is on the internal HD with WIN 7 and ubuntu, so I can work. I also have a USB-HD for testings. In the beginning I also had the same Lag-Problem after natkas patch on the internal HD, so it can't be a internal/external HD problem. There(on the internal HD) I installed the original apple kextensions back, so I can work without Lag, but also without QE/CI. That means Quicktime, VLC, and a lot more are not working or not working 100%. I would be very happy about any ideas to this Problem. Maybe someone knows this Problem and can advise me to resolve it. In the attachment I also will post some informations of my testing-System(external USB-HD) like bootlog etc. So please, please, please look at that stuff and help me to get QE/IC working without mouselag.

Hier is the content of Extra on /

DSDT.aml

com.apple.boot.plist

smbios.plist

Extensions.mkext

Stored_Kexts

Themes

in Stored_Kexts are:

AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext

fakesmc.kext

HDAEnabler.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

JMicronATA.kext

LegacyATI4800Controller.kext

LegacyHDA.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

SleepEnabler.kext

in S/L/E are additional to the original kextensions:

ATY_Init.kext

RealtekR1000SL.kext

ATIRadeonX2000.kext (netkas one)

ATI4800Controller.kext (netkas one)

I atache a bootlog and my com.apple.boot.plist

Thank you and hopefully read you soon ;)