FreeBSD

bliss

4 posts in this topic

I tried PCBSD a while ago in VMware but it doesnt work natively. I found it very nice and also liked the way it installed with the .pbi files. There were lots of programs available off their site so everything was going great and you could use the FreeBSD ports aswell.

• 3 weeks later...

FreeBSD is one of the best and I think that it could be a legal alternative to osx86. It is alot like Linux on the surface and it is just as good if not better. Here are some of the diferences between linux and freebsd: As an operating system, FreeBSD is generally regarded as quite reliable and robust, and of the operating systems that accurately report uptime remotely [1], FreeBSD is the most common free operating system listed in Netcraft's list [2] of the 50 web servers with the longest uptime (uptime on some operating systems such as some versions of Linux can't be calculated). A long uptime also indicates that no kernel updates have been deemed necessary, as installing a new kernel requires a reboot and resets the uptime counter of the system. FreeBSD is developed as a complete operating system. The kernel, device drivers and all of the userland utilities, such as the shell, are held in the same source code revision tracking tree (CVS). This is in contrast to Linux, a similar but better-known operating system, in which the kernel is developed by one set of developers; userland utilities and applications by others, such as the GNU project; and all are packaged together by other groups and published as Linux distributions. Ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freebsd go there if you want to know any more.

max